• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

SkylineRKR

Music related, I was rather surprised to hear

'Everybody super sonic racing, try to keep your feet right on the ground!'

Completely forgot that track.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
LaneDS said:
I hope this thread is flooded with PC impressions soon after unlock. Waiting on those before deciding PC/360/PS3. Was there a clear winner between 360/PS3? Sounded like 360 performed slightly better (had only tried the demo on PS3 though).
360 version is the version to get if you have access to both consoles, yes.

IceDoesntHelp said:
Sigh, I want to rent that one day. Just for kicks. Also cause my friend hates Sonic, so it would be fun to watch him try to play through it.
I paid $7.99 CAD + tax for it and I still feel like I wasted money.

Teknoman

LaneDS said:
I hope this thread is flooded with PC impressions soon after unlock. Waiting on those before deciding PC/360/PS3. Was there a clear winner between 360/PS3? Sounded like 360 performed slightly better (had only tried the demo on PS3 though).

It better be.

Dark Schala said:
I paid $7.99 CAD + tax for it and I still feel like I wasted money.
I shall not be disappointed in this game! My expectations are extremely low as it is!

Also, is there any unlocks in SG? Like bonus content?

Fu7ck it, just bought it on Green Man Gaming (very secure page BTW). 20 euros. Im putting on a hard drive some things becuase i didnt have the space to install the game :lol

Lets see hos the PC game is. I hope its a good port.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
IceDoesntHelp said:
I shall not be disappointed in this game! My expectations are extremely low as it is!

Also, is there any unlocks in SG? Like bonus content?
You can unlock
Sonic 1 for the Genesis if you accumulate enough score and cash it in at the Skill Shop, artwork (ie: concept art for Generations and other games), music (which you can listen to in the Collection Room or you can use them to change the music in the levels), and statues in your collection room. Most of the unlockables come from doing the challenges for Classic and Modern Sonic.

And who knows, you might like Sonic 2006 if your expections are really low.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The_Technomancer said:
You know, I love Rooftop Run, but part of me really wishes they had grabbed Chun-Nan from Unleashed
Honestly, I thought the Unleashed version of Rooftop Run was better than what they delivered in Generations. The first part of the new stage is kind of lame. :\

Teknoman

So optimistically thinking that the PC version will run at an uncapped framerate, would that have any effect on the play balance of Modern Sonic's stages? Maybe going by TOO fast when going at full speed + boost?

Also I thought the missing posters of Mighty the Armadillo and such in the classic City Escape stage was a nice touch

EDIT: thanks for the links guys!

Dark Schala said:
You can unlock
Sonic 1 for the Genesis if you accumulate enough score and cash it in at the Skill Shop, artwork (ie: concept art for Generations and other games), music (which you can listen to in the Collection Room or you can use them to change the music in the levels), and statues in your collection room. Most of the unlockables come from doing the challenges for Classic and Modern Sonic.

Alright sweet!
Haha, I'm sure I will.

Anth0ny said:
He's right you know
Haha, I've seen your LTTP. I still can't believe you enjoyed it more then Unleashed. Unleashed to me was a fun and enjoyable game! But, I also played it on the Wii.

Wonko_C

Teknoman said:
So optimistically thinking that the PC version will run at an uncapped framerate, would that have any effect on the play balance of Modern Sonic's stages? Maybe going by TOO fast when going at full speed + boost?

I wouldn't think so, it will be the same speed, just with a more smooth framerate, it will help in the control response a lot, though.

Teknoman

IceDoesntHelp said:
Alright sweet!
Haha, I'm sure I will.

Sonic Generations is actually a good game regardless of how big a Sonic fan you are. If you like platformers, you should be pretty happy with the game.

Also I think i'll watch the Sonic 06 play while i'm chilling out...waiting for PC version impressions/D2D to get back to me. Never played the game past Dusty Desert...first game i've EVER just turned off and said "Enough". Returned the next day.

Even more of an effect on me since it was a Sonic title.

EDIT: At least the were able to cleanse the darkness with Colors.

This game is pre-loading for me, but I won't be able to play til tomorrow. Haven't been this excited for a game in years. I had fallen out of Sonic fandom due to its colossal insanity as well as the frankly shit games on offer, but Colours opened my eyes a little, as did a visit with friends to Summer of Sonic. Sure, they're completely mental, but they're darn friendly.

Will play this all weekend.

Teknoman

petethepanda said:
Any word on whether or not the Amazon DD copy can be 'activated' on Steam?

Yeah its Steamworks period, so all copies have to be activated via Steam I think.

Also the load times are pretty fast in the 360 version after install.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just got my copy on 360 and my system is unable to read the disc. I don't even get the 'Sonic Generations' title card on the dashboard when highlighting what is in the drive. Just a generic 'play disc', and when I start the game it boots me back to the dashboard saying the disc cannot be read.

Dunno if this is just a faulty press, or maybe my system is one of the affected consoles that can't play retail discs that use the new pressing solution MS put forth recently. (I have an Elite console from '07).

On my way to the store now to get a second copy, but this is the first instance of this problem happening. Tried loading other games to compare and they work fine(Deus Ex, Batman AC, etc...) Hardware appears fine as I have had no issues with the other games I just tested.

Hrrmm...

Teknoman said:
Sonic Generations is actually a good game regardless of how big a Sonic fan you are. If you like platformers, you should be pretty happy with the game.

I would also highly recommend Generations to fans of racing games (Modern Sonic).

qq more

This game is really awesome so far. I'm really enjoying it. I just beat all Act 1 and 2s of each Classic Era stage. I'm tackling all of the Green Hill Zone challenge acts right now.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
WrathOfOtaibah said:
jesus that long? well is it at least entertaining?
Oh God, yes.

There are several points where you can pinpoint where their brains break, like this one for instance, when they start singing out of nowhere. Also, this and this.

If you want to talk Sonic 2006, the most recent thread is here.

Anth0ny said:
He's right you know
You know... I'm very eager to see how you'll like the Silver and Shadow levels. Shadow's levels have driving. And Silver's levels have stupid things like this:

34mOG.jpg

NEVER AGAIN.

Teknoman said:

Also I think i'll watch the Sonic 06 play while i'm chilling out...waiting for PC version impressions/D2D to get back to me. Never played the game past Dusty Desert...first game i've EVER just turned off and said "Enough". Returned the next day.

Even more of an effect on me since it was a Sonic title.

EDIT: At least the were able to cleanse the darkness with Colors.
I'm not a big Sonic fan, but I still enjoy the games, well some of them. So how are the physics in SG compared to say...SA

Darryl

Banned
rented it last night @ redbox, made it 2hrs into it~ got up to 7th stage

i've ran into lots of control issues, i feel like they're trying too hard to make this game fast. i wish they would just slow it down some. wasn't a big fan of the forced challenges, either.

also, classic sonic City Escape was boss. amazing.

Christopher

the modern sonic feels like polished up sonic 2006 levels where he was on rails - I dunno why they opted with the forced foward gameplay

Sega1991 and I have been talking about dual-livestreaming a race through Sonic 2006 for charity sometime soon.

This assumes he has not been completely swallowed by Generations yet, though.

Teknoman

Darryl said:
rented it last night @ redbox, made it 2hrs into it~ got up to 7th stage

i've ran into lots of control issues, i feel like they're trying too hard to make this game fast. i wish they would just slow it down some. wasn't a big fan of the forced challenges, either.

also, classic sonic City Escape was boss. amazing.

As long as you arent using boost too much post Green Hill modern, it shouldnt be too fast.

Christopher said:
the modern sonic feels like polished up sonic 2006 levels where he was on rails - I dunno why they opted with the forced foward gameplay

Nah those high speed stages were way restrictive. At least here you actually have to do some slower paced platforming and there are a good amount of alternate routes.

Dark Schala said:
34mOG.jpg

NEVER AGAIN.

They built the game around TeH pHySiCs!, rammed it down our throats and all we were left with was a big fucking mess.

I still have mine. I'd like to finish it one day, but I could never get past the Egg-Wyvern - BECAUSE OF THE CAMERA.

TheOGB

Banned
Christopher said:
Sometimes I get the feeling people don't know what 'on-rails' means

SatSR was on rails. 06 was not on rails, it was just shite.

ShockingAlberto said:
Sega1991 and I have been talking about dual-livestreaming a race through Sonic 2006 for charity sometime soon.

I'd definitely watch that & donate.

But why 06?

ShockingAlberto said:

I'd watch it. Better yet, just play all the Sonic games in a row.

Teknoman

AbsoluteZero said:
The nerd rage if the PC version isn't 60fps should be downright palpable and delicious.

Honestly I wouldnt care since it already looks/plays great. It would be nice, but as long as it plays as well as the 360 version, and is easily modifiable by those who know how, for 26.99 i'm good.

EDIT: Damn...Sonic was really slow in 06.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ShockingAlberto said:
I still remember someone in the official Sonic 2006 thread saying that the Silver levels had better physics puzzles than Valve could do.
JDA said:
You know, it's becoming painfully obvious who has and hasn't played this game.

You want revolutionary? Play the Silver levels... Here we have physics based gameplay that's better than Half Life 2's. Yes, I said it. Physics based gameplay that actually works.
JDA said:
1. So Sonic games should be all about running in a straight line and jumping occasionally?

All games evolve.

2. Well, Half Life 2 didn't really use physics for the core gameplay. The Silver levels do.

3. Psi Ops might use physics in gameplay, but it cannot be as complex as this game's. The physics in this game clearly show off the abilities of a next gen console. I'll admit I never played Psi Ops, but that doesn't take away from the quality of the Silver levels.
@_@

ShockingAlberto said:

I'd watch it and donate.

Would you go as far as Last Story, or just finish Sonic's Story?

TheOGB

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
The nerd rage if the PC version isn't 60fps should be downright palpable and delicious.
I'm not expecting much, but wtfe I just wanna play it

spending the next hour playing Sonic Adventure

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Dark Schala said:
The game didn't even have auto save. My exceptions were low, but not that low, that a feature in every Sonic Game before and after had, was missing.

Also, it was far to easy to die.

Nabs

Teknoman said:
It'll just be smooth as fuck and break your brain. Here's hoping for 60.

AbsoluteZero said:

Why would you want this =\

Top Bottom