• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Teknoman

Ideally, it'll run great on most fairly recent systems, not have black bars in 16x10 resolutions, have an uncapped framerate, and speedy loadtimes.

At least thats what we're hoping.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The game will be in 720p and run at 30FPS. It will also be running in an emulator, and require an overclocked i5 2500k to run at the full 30FPS. There will be no autosaves, the config tool won't work, the saves will randomly corrupt. The game will have a critical bug after 3 levels in that effects 37% of users, in which the floor will not render. The sound will be in Mono, and the graphics in 16 Bit color.

Zomba13

Dark Schala said:
34mOG.jpg

NEVER AGAIN.
I shudder whenever I see that picture.

;_;

Drkirby said:
The game will be in 720p and run at 30FPS. It will also be running in an emulator, and require an overclocked i5 2500k to run at the full 30FPS. There will be no autosaves, the config tool won't work, the saves will randomly corrupt. The game will have a critical bug after 3 levels in that effects 37% of users, in which the floor will not render. The sound will be in Mono, and the graphics in 16 Bit color.

Also Bink compressed video of Bink compressed video.

Cmagus

1 hour for PC i never understood the point of pre-loading if you can just unlock it everyone else on console has it already

AbsoluteZero said:
The nerd rage if the PC version isn't 60fps should be downright palpable and delicious.

I dont mind if it 30fps, I only want that the game is playable. I dont have a 360 or a PS3 so this is my only option.
Also 20 euros instead of 60, feels good man.

Teknoman

TheOGB said:
I'm really not expecting much more than the 360 version.

I'd be fine with that...of course counting being easily modded by those who know how, and no black bars! Sucks that there are still PC games being released today that dont properly supposed 16x10.

The 360 version looks great at 30 fps and runs smoother than the last demo version. Of course you always expect a PC version to run uncapped.

Sciz

SwiftSketcher said:
Can the PC version get it's own thread? Just for comparisons and mod developments? You know there's going tons within days of it's release.
Let's wait and see how it actually pans out (and how crazy Retro goes with hacking it) first.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
SwiftSketcher said:
Can the PC version get it's own thread? Just for comparisons and mod developments? You know there's going tons within days of it's release.
The game's files are locked behind 3 catch all container files, so that may slow things down. Like, 70% of the filesize is made up of 3 giant files, and the rest is just Music and video.

Nabs

IceDoesntHelp said:
I'm going to be honest. What worries me the most about the PC version, are the controls.
It supports the 360 controller right off the bat. If you have a PS3 controller you can just emulate it using MotionJoy.

Teknoman

IceDoesntHelp said:
I'm going to be honest. What worries me the most about the PC version, are the controls.

Why? Just plug in a 360 or any other USB controller like with every 3D action adventure or platformer PC port.

The Xtortionist said:
Guess now the thread is going to turn into a 100-page long specs discussion.

If so, I'm out.

Everyone seems to make separate threads for that if need be. If everything performs just fine, you probably wont see much except screenshots.

qq more

A big music note just appeared, I went to grab it and was excited to see what song got unlocked. ...I went from :D to D: right away.

Splash Hill Zone. FUCK

Also, these missions are damn fun.

Oreoleo

The Xtortionist said:
I'm not...wearing any panties =O

K60OH.jpg

jett said:
no demo for pc version? I guess the first round of buyers will be acting as guinea pigs. :p

pretty much. it is a risk im willing to take! i think it was drkirby though who found a registry entry in steam for demo... will probably go up in the next few days, but by then who cares.

Went to see the STEAM achivements and WTF?
It says people have already got most of them.
53% just started the game (1.3% alñready beat all the time attacks) But the game is locked yet.
How can it be possible?

Nabs

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Went to see the STEAM achivements and WTF?
It says people have already got most of them.
53% just started the game (1.3% alñready beat all the time attacks) But the game is locked yet.
How can it be possible?
Game testers bro.

JADS said:
And it's here! Decrypting at the moment

Can't wait to hear how it runs for you.

AniHawk

the classic stages really put the modern ones to shame. just from a control aspect, spinning feels much more powerful than boosting. boosting just makes sonic feel floaty, and a little too easy to control (stuff like homing compensates for imprecision i guess). i feel like every move as classic sonic is earned.

the thing that blows me away is that sega was able to do classic sonic justice after all these years. i've remained a casual sonic fan over the years, but i'd grown accustomed to the sonic advance/sonic rush style of 2d sonic and now i want more classic now i know they can pull it off.

maybe they can start by making sonic 4 ep 2 a classic sonic game.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
jman2050 said:
Ah, that's nineko's work. His music conversions are pretty solid. Certainly made Splash Hill a lot better.

Honestly I thought the 16-bit version was even worse than the already pretty mediocre original version

Nabs said:
It supports the 360 controller right off the bat. If you have a PS3 controller you can just emulate it using MotionJoy.
Teknoman said:
Why? Just plug in a 360 or any other USB controller like with every 3D action adventure or platformer PC port.
*cough* I only have a Wii, and I never bought a 360 controller because I prefer my mouse and keyboard...

Teknoman

AniHawk said:
the classic stages really put the modern ones to shame. just from a control aspect, spinning feels much more powerful than boosting. boosting just makes sonic feel floaty, and a little too easy to control (stuff like homing compensates for imprecision i guess). i feel like every move as classic sonic is earned.

the thing that blows me away is that sega was able to do classic sonic justice after all these years. i've remained a casual sonic fan over the years, but i'd grown accustomed to the sonic advance/sonic rush style of 2d sonic and now i want more classic now i know they can pull it off.

maybe they can start by making sonic 4 ep 2 a classic sonic game.

Buy Sonic CD HD first.

IceDoesntHelp said:
*cough* I only have a Wii, and I never bought a 360 controller because I prefer my mouse and keyboard...

Oh wait, I remember now. Didnt you say you were going to try to configure your Wiimote+nunchuck to work with the game, or was that someone else?

Firestorm

I told my friend to pick up a 360 copy for me since he's doing some shopping in the States today. If the PC port is decent I might grab a second copy during a 50%+ off Steam sale. Especially if there are a lot of mods!

jett

D-Member
Wow I'm watching giant bomb's quicklook, the framerate looks seriously awful. PC version might be the only civilized choice. And wtf at the excessive handholding, goddamn.

Top Bottom