• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Zomba13

mxgt said:
OH GOD THE CHEMICAL PLANT NOSTALGIA
I know right!

Just finished Chemical Plant act one. SOOOO GOOOD.

Game looks fucking amazing too.

Gonna try a Classic Sonic act in 3D but without sound, to try out the 3D.

Teknoman

Well 7 hours to go and then im back in action. Going to return the 360 version tomorrow (rental) and stop playing tonight so the game is still fresh.

K701

Banned
K701 said:
I thought there were supposed to be prompts when you can do tricks? I'm not getting them, and I swear modern sonic is doing the B slide all by himself.

Never mind, Omochao just introduced tricks in a later stage

Teknoman

K701 said:
Never mind, Omochao just introduced tricks in a later stage

Pfft. Turn Omochao off, leave button hints on. To do tricks, just press a direction on the d-pad/analog/direction controls and once you fit as many tricks as possible, press whatever you have set for LB/RB (L1/R1) together.

You can only do tricks after hitting a rainbow ramp or rainbow ring.

Teknoman

Zen said:
Is there any potential problem with mods for Sonic generations if I get it through steam?

I think you can only play through Steam since its a Steamworks title?

I support an OT addition of the PC version being awesome as well.

MNC

Fuck. Game doesn't recognize my graphics card (NVIDIA OPTIMUSSSSSSSSS) And if I default my laptop to use the nvidia, it still only sees the intel. I can't boot the game because it says it found conflicting hardware.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Some of you should consider doing Classic Sonic's stage after Modern Sonic's since there are dialogue changes depending on which Sonic you finish the stage with.

RurouniZel said:
So, PC version is best version?
Clearly PC >>>>> 360 > PS3?

LaneDS

Sweet, thanks for the impressions. Bought the Amazon download version for $25!

First Sonic game I've bought since Sonic Adventure 2 on the Dreamcast... that is a long time. Hope I enjoy it!

mxgt

Banned
Screenshot barrage

sonicgenerations2011-s2oij.jpg

so pretty

Zomba13

Just ran through Chemical Plant Act 1 in 3D.

Seems to not work very well.
I mean it's fine if you have 3D vision set to the lowest depth setting but any higher and the edges mess up. Like it brings on bits of the opening act title stuff.

Zomba13 said:
Just ran through Chemical Plant Act 1 in 3D.

Seems to not work very well.
I mean it's fine if you have 3D vision set to the lowest depth setting but any higher and the edges mess up. Like it brings on bits of the opening act title stuff.
Save the 3D for the 3DS d:

Teknoman

So now that PC version is "way past cool" confirmed, how far could modders, specifically Sonic Retro community take things?

Hellish

The collectors edition is region locked correct? So if I were to import it, it would not work on my NA ps3/xbox 360 I assume.

Teknoman said:
So now that PC version is "way past cool" confirmed, how far could modders, specifically Sonic Retro community take things?
people could edit the 360 demo files to change rolling and shit, same will happen on pc for sure.

Texture mods will be the most simple ones, and sound/music

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Liking the game quite a bit so far. Really enjoying the challenge missions, but it would be nice if a few were 'flagpoint' challenges, in effect teaching the player more properly about the different routes. Maybe using the 'shitty friends' as a tool to help better understand the nuances of the courses(keep up with Knuckles on the upper route!) rather than purely for pointless gimmicks(search for treasure) would have been more beneficial.

Mostly surprised at how much I have enjoyed both Classic and Modern layouts. There has been a vast improvement in 'Modern Sonic' player control and course design from anything I recall in the two Adventure games here. Particularly the further in I play as some Modern stages do throw some interesting twists and obstacles that force you to lay off the boost a bit. Granted I haven't progressed to the DC-era yet, but the first three zones have been extremely solid for both Sonic types.

Actually seriously considering snagging Unleashed or Colors soon given my initial enjoyment.

Teknoman

Diablohead said:
people could edit the 360 demo files to change rolling and shit, same will happen on pc for sure.

Texture mods will be the most simple ones, and sound/music

Well hopefully physics mods for classic Sonic will come first (especially since it was just a value change right?). I'm hoping that its possible for people to actually do what they've done with classic Sonic titles, and make new levels, but i'm not sure if thats possible here. Would probably take a TON of effort with this engine.

Brandon F said:
Liking the game quite a bit so far. Really enjoying the challenge missions, but it would be nice if a few were 'flagpoint' challenges, in effect teaching the player more properly about the different routes. Maybe using the 'shitty friends' as a tool to help better understand the nuances of the courses(keep up with Knuckles on the upper route!) rather than purely for pointless gimmicks(search for treasure) would have been more beneficial.

Mostly surprised at how much I have enjoyed both Classic and Modern layouts. There has been a vast improvement in 'Modern Sonic' player control and course design from anything I recall in the two Adventure games here. Particularly the further in I play as some Modern stages do throw some interesting twists and obstacles that force you to lay off the boost a bit. Granted I haven't progressed to the DC-era yet, but the first three zones have been extremely solid for both Sonic types.

Actually seriously considering snagging Unleashed or Colors soon given my initial enjoyment.

Colors. I only made it to City Escape Classic before I stopped playing the 360 version to wait for PC, but The first 2 Dreamcast era zones are pretty well done imo.

Teknoman

Apparently the controls feel much more fluid on the PC version @ 60+, but that much was probably a given.

EDIT: I bet Planet Wisp Classic kills my subwoofer.

Seth C

I gave the demo a try on the 360. What's the deal with the framerate of all the foreground objects in Act 1? It's so janky my eyes can't even focus on anything.

Peff

Man, this game looks like a Pixar movie at times. Classic Sonic's model is lovely. Hopefully they make Stardust Speedway into a full level at some point.

Teknoman

Seth C said:
I gave the demo a try on the 360. What's the deal with the framerate of all the foreground objects in Act 1? It's so janky my eyes can't even focus on anything.

Its the motion blur thats screwing with it I think. For what its worth, thats only an issue in Classic Green Hill, and the retail 360 version runs smoother (not 60, but still).

Dark Schala said:
Some of you should consider doing Classic Sonic's stage after Modern Sonic's since there are dialogue changes depending on which Sonic you finish the stage with.

Clearly PC >>>>> 360 > PS3?

Can you see those dialog changes when you beat the stages for a second time, or they only appear when you beat them the first time?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Brandon F said:
I recommend Colours.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Can you see those dialog changes when you beat the stages for a second time, or they only appear when you beat them the first time?
I think it's just the first time. Pre-boss scenes sometimes change based on which Sonic you go into the level with (ie: see the first boss; I think Classic Sonic's version is slightly cuter).

Teknoman

SpacePirate Ridley said:

The first time you completely beat a stage (first time you complete both acts). After Green Hill, you can choose which Sonic you start with for the next zone.

i5 2500k, radeon hd 6850. I maxed everything and I can run it relatively fine in 1680x1050. Framerate is between 50 and 60 fps but there are occasional drops with vsync on. Without vsync, I had screen tearing.

I'll try it on my tv to see how it runs in 1080p.

Peff

Oh hey, if you right click the game on steam there is an option to "View Downloadable Content", guess that's coming to PC too!

Top Bottom