• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

MNC

MNC said:
Fuck. Game doesn't recognize my graphics card (NVIDIA OPTIMUSSSSSSSSS) And if I default my laptop to use the nvidia, it still only sees the intel. I can't boot the game because it says it found conflicting hardware.
Long shot, but anyone know the solution? :/

Just got through all the acts/challenges in the Classic era, quick impressions.

-Modern Sonic > Classic Sonic. And I have S3&K as a top 10 favorite game.
-Challenges suck. I would have preferred one more act of each Classic/Modern then any of this junk
-Boss fights are really easy
-So far, Colors > Generations

Still running fine in 1920x1080. The lowest I've seen it drop was about 40 fps (right at the end of the big fish part of modern Green Hill zone).

The FMVs are in a lower resolution (scaled) and they look really out of place. The loading time is fast (the game is on a regular, mechanical hard drive).

Oh, and btw, in the "Statistics" tab in the configuration dialog, IncludeApp is enabled by default. You might want to disable it...

Anth0ny

Professor Beef said:
You lost your rights to complain about the physics after playing Sonic 06 and enjoying it.

okay_meme_RE_ATTENTION_SHARE_NATION-s300x272-170761.jpg

RagnarokX

branny said:
Having just gone through a Colors marathon prior to getting this game, I think I'm preferring Colors more but only slightly.

From a Modern Sonic point of view, Sonic in Colors is more capable. There are a few handling tweaks here and there that improve the feel of Modern Sonic in Generations, but he can't wall jump everywhere (needs panels), "true" double jump (it's back to empty homing dash), or jump spam while swimming. So, with that gone (and the drill wisp gone), say goodbye to the miracle/revelation of Sonic Colors: water levels that were actually fun to play. They're not exactly bad in Generations, though, so no worries.
Double Jump and swimming in Colors were terrible and I'm glad they got rid of them. The water parts of water levels in Colors were not fun to swim through and drill may as well been drilling through anything. The underwater parts were huge, empty, and devoid of platforming.

Sega still has a problem making Modern underwater stages since Chemical Plant Act 2's water parts are pretty empty, but Classic Sonic's Seaside Hill is fine. Hydrocity Zone in Sonic 3 was a fun water level... actually, every level but Marble Garden has water in it in Sonic 3.

TheOGB

Banned
TheOGB said:
Works with my Power A Pro EX (wired PS3 controller)

Now, how do I windowed mode
Alt+Enter apparently doesn't work, no option for it in the config... gonna try launch settings

Just got the PC version too, downloading from Steam right now.

My computer isn't godly but it's pretty powerful (i7 920, GTX 470, 12GB RAM) so I'm pretty sure it can handle it.

The lack of Colors actions on Modern Sonic bugged in the demo. I want my goddamn double jump back, in particular.

Teknoman

Hugh Buelow said:
Still running fine in 1920x1080. The lowest I've seen it drop was about 40 fps (right at the end of the big fish part of modern Green Hill zone).

The FMVs are in a lower resolution (scaled) and they look really out of place. The loading time is fast (the game is on a regular, mechanical hard drive).

Oh, and btw, in the "Statistics" tab in the configuration dialog, IncludeApp is enabled by default. You might want to disable it...

Whats that?

balladofwindfishes said:
Where's the cheapest place to get the PC version?

Amazon digital.

Seik

Banned
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN these PC shots are hot!

I might, no, I WILL buy the pc version too. Just to show SEGA how they are in the right way...with mah money! XD

Xander51

This game is amazing. It's made of nostalgia and joy. I love everything about it. The PC version is incredible. Surround sound even works properly, which is often an issue with PC ports. Really, this plays like it was developed alongside the other versions, it's a steal for 30 bucks. Couldn't be happier.

I'm seeing a lot of whomg 60fps but the lowest specs I've seen mentioned are i5-2500k and 6850 which are already high end.

How does the game fare for mid-range like 6770? Or even lower end ones

Cmagus

Played through up to crisis city runs great for me no problems at all and I have a crappy video card.As for the game holy crap it is so good and it looks incredible as well Seaside Hill I hope someone with this thing maxed on PC gets some of dat water screens going on.

ismaboof

Cmagus said:
Played through up to crisis city runs great for me no problems at all and I have a crappy video card.As for the game holy crap it is so good and it looks incredible as well Seaside Hill I hope someone with this thing maxed on PC gets some of dat water screens going on.
What are your specs?

JADS

Performance, with the exception of Chemical Plant Zone, has been great so far on my 5850. Chemical Plant Zone has some nasty framedrops in both classical and modern Sonic. If you use RadeonPro make sure to set Anti-Aliasing to "Use Application Settings" in your profile. Otherwise the GUI, pre-rendered movies and some effects will be missing.

Cmagus

Nvidia 8800GT video card
4 gig ram
Pentium Dual Core e5700@ 3.00ghz

granted I can't have anti-aliasing on but just for playing the game the rest is just fine and on high settings. Throughout my entire play through I had one small stutter but it was like 2 seconds I was honestly expecting alot more but to my surprise nope the rest is running great.

GTX 260
C2D 2.8 (oc to 3.2)
4gigs of ram

The game is near solid 60fps all full settings in 1080p, amazing stuff! only stutters when the game loads assets as you play, could just be my low spec and cheap HDD doing that.

Really good port.

Seik

Banned
Question here for those who bought on PC, because I'm totally getting it.

Is there a disc-based release? I can see it on amazon...is that just a Steam CD-KEY they're sending you or are they sending a case/manual/disc with a CD-KEY and the game only works on steam?

Cmagus

Seik said:
Question here for those who bought on PC, because I'm totally getting it.

Is there a disc-based release? I can see it on amazon...is that just a Steam CD-KEY they're sending you or are they sending a case/manual/disc with a CD-KEY and the game only works on steam?

Is there a disc release out? I thought right now it is just digital and a disc release was coming later but I could be wrong

Teknoman said:
Whats that?

http://www.includeapp.com/

It's an analytics service (tracks what the users do). It can be a privacy concern. Honestly, it is the first time I hear of them, I don't know their reputation and if they share data with other companies.

Diablohead said:
GTX 260
C2D 2.8 (oc to 3.2)
4gigs of ram

The game is near solid 60fps all full settings in 1080p, amazing stuff! only stutters when the game loads assets as you play, could just be my low spec and cheap HDD doing that.

Really good port.

Wow, I see that they really did inflate the recommended specs... how many did not pre-order it because they were not sure they could run the game?

Guri

Ok, my opinions on the PC version:

- I'm playing on a Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 and a GTS 250, and the performance is reaaly great! All activated and on "high". There were a few frame drops, but not much.

- Fast loading, on a normal hard-drive.

- Controlling on the keyboard can be good, but its better on the gamepad.

- Great game overall, only one bug that was the cutscene after Sky Sanctuary, with no sound.

Midou

I get a bit of slowdown with all settings maxed in a couple of rare spots, but otherwise looks and plays amazing.

scitek

I blew my Sonic money on the $25 Arkham City deal the other day. Doubt I'll care next week, but right now I'm kinda sad.

Zomba13

This game is soooooo good looking.

Runs silky smooth for me (except a place or 2 in chemical plant, but everyone seems to have a spot of trouble there. only drops for a second though)

GTX285
i7 920 @ 3.5ghz
6GB of RAM.

The Hermit

Diablohead said:
GTX 260
C2D 2.8 (oc to 3.2)
4gigs of ram

Really good port.

My pc is almost the same... awesome!

I turned shadows and reflections down to low, looks like the console quality stuff but really improved my frame rate, solid 60 most of the time now.

Chemical plant likes to chug however.

MNC said:
Long shot, but anyone know the solution? :/

In the configuration tool, there is a dropdown for the graphic adapter. Can you see the two cards in it? When I extend my desktop with my tv, a second adapter becomes available, which I must select to display the game on the tv.

JRW

Seth C said:
I gave the demo a try on the 360. What's the deal with the framerate of all the foreground objects in Act 1? It's so janky my eyes can't even focus on anything.

Yea I noticed the same thing the game is using some strange blur effect between frames I dont even think its a full 30FPS in a lot of areas on 360. (Im playing full version).

So far my impressions with the PC version aren't good. I'm working with a slightly lower-end card, a 4850, but I'm still able to run most new games smoothly on High settings with some tweaking.

With vsync on, the game plays very jerky and I get some odd stuttering here and there. With vsync off, the jerkiness goes down slightly but the stuttering is still there and the cut scenes tear badly. The game doesn't play as smooth as the demo.

The framerates not so good either. On average, it says 35-40FPS, but it feels jerkier than the 360 version and during Chemical Plant zone, even when the counter was saying 35FPS, it felt more like 15-20FPS. Is there a way to cap the framerate at yet? I'd rather hit a consistent 30FPS then jump around.

I ran into a odd bug too. I played the demo probably over 10+ times and never had a single glitch. On my first playthrough with Modern Sonic, when I tried to homing attack a spring, Sonic stopped in midair right before hitting it and hovered there for 3 seconds before just dropping. Overall, I'm not too happy with it. If I had to choose again, I'd go with the 360 version. This is just my experience. Others may be completely different.

TheOGB

Banned
Wolf Akela said:
I'm seeing a lot of whomg 60fps but the lowest specs I've seen mentioned are i5-2500k and 6850 which are already high end.

How does the game fare for mid-range like 6770? Or even lower end ones
Playable on my Core 2 Duo E8200 and Radeon HD 3400 Series. Not the best, somewhat slow but it works

CYRI says I wouldn't be able to play it because I only have 2GB RAM (Win7), but I'm playin it :V

Top Bottom