• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

RobbieNick

My processor doesn't quite meet the minimum requirements, but I have double the needed RAM, compatible video card. And it plays Arkham Asylum despite not meeting minimum requirements. Should I take a $30 gamble and try it out?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just hit the DC-era stuff and I found the two 'Adventure games'-stage remakes for Modern Sonic equally as wretched as they were a decade ago. Game basically felt like it took a complete nosedive in stages 4-5(Modern side). Play control was practically ripped away from me(pinballing out of control and falling into "what happened?" death routines, especially on the skateboard...some things don't change), lock-on that seems to work only when it feels like it as well.

Just an instant reminder of all the same crap I hated about Sonic stages in Adventure 1/2, now in full HD glory. What happened? I adored the Modern stages in the Genesis-era! :( I'll keep at them and maybe I just need better conditioning, but my appreciation for this game took a sudden plummet.

On the flip-side I really enjoyed the Classic interpretations of these DC-era stages at least.

RobbieNick said:
Outside of a AMD E-350 Processor, I'm well above the reccomended specs. Any chance?
I can run BC2 with my shitty CPU...so it'll work. But your processor could overheat your graphics card and break the fan in the process (the fan on the graphics card).

Teknoman

So...

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor running at 3.2 Ghz
Radeon HD 4870 1GB
4GB ram

Heres hoping for 60 fps with everything turned high. Dunno about Vsync since tearing really doesnt bother me.

Got it now, it's fucking amazing on PC. So glorious in its 60 FPS of awesomeness.

My PC's specs again, in case anyone's wondering:

- Intel i7 920
- GTX 470
- 12 GB RAM

zazrx said:
i7 920
GTX 570
6gbs of ram

Will I be able to run it maxed and smooth? 60fps at 1080p?

You sure will, in all likelihood. I'm running everything at max in 1080, and you have a better card than I do, although I have more RAM. I think it'll be fine.

LogicStep

AlphaDragoon said:
Got it now, it's fucking amazing on PC. So glorious in its 60 FPS of awesomeness.

- Intel i7 920
- GTX 470
- 12 GB RAM

You sure will, in all likelihood. You have a better card than I do, although I have more RAM. I think it'll be fine.
Awesome, can't wait to get it. :)

Rhythmic

Grabbed the PC version even tho my specs aren't really up to it.

I played green hill zone with no AA and shadows set to low on 1440x900 res and got mostly stable fps with only a few hiccups. Played about as well as the 360 demo I played. So still very playable for me. Here are my pc specs

AMD athlon II x3 @ 2.9gz
2 gigs ram
ati radeon 4670
windows 7

Hawk269

AlphaDragoon said:

- Intel i7 920
- GTX 470
- 12 GB RAM

You sure will, in all likelihood. I'm running everything at max in 1080, and you have a better card than I do, although I have more RAM. I think it'll be fine.

Yes...Yes...Yes...This game looks so fucking nice in TRUE PURE 1080p and at 60fps on PC. I just tried the 360 demo again and damn, the differences are really apparent from going to the demo to the PC version and back to the demo on 360. Yeah, it is just a Sonic game, but damn is it impressive and just the color and detail in some of the stuff is pretty impressive. And why do some chumps still say we dont need the next gen of consoles????

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Demo left me lukewarm. I like the idea behind the game but when I tried "classic" Sonic mode it SHIFTED THE PLANE for anything more than those old Sonic 2 corkscrews in parts of Green Hill Zone. WTF is this shit? If I chose to play "classic," by God and Country I SHALL PLAY CLASSIC. Don't force any of this 2.5-3D shit on me. >:|

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
TheOGB said:
overreaction much?

It may be an overreaction, but trying the demo after "YOU CAN PLAY BOTH STYLES" and having the new style shoe-horned into the classic is disgraceful. Don't advertise your game as "going back to the roots" if it simply doesn't 1:1 the classic.

Frankly, if I want to play Chemical Plant Zone, I'll just go pop Sonic 2 in my Megadrive. Simple.

DonMigs85

i-hnhcM3x-L.jpg

qq more

TheSeks said:
Demo left me lukewarm. I like the idea behind the game but when I tried "classic" Sonic mode it SHIFTED THE PLANE for anything more than those old Sonic 2 corkscrews in parts of Green Hill Zone. WTF is this shit? If I chose to play "classic," by God and Country I SHALL PLAY CLASSIC. Don't force any of this 2.5-3D shit on me. >:|

It's just a 2.5D section. It's not changing the gameplay at all. Of all things to complain about... seriously.

Also...

I like the idea behind the game

Frankly, if I want to play Chemical Plant Zone, I'll just go pop Sonic 2 in my Megadrive. Simple.

I don't get it.

TheOGB

Banned
TheSeks said:
It may be an overreaction, but trying the demo after "YOU CAN PLAY BOTH STYLES" and having the new style shoe-horned into the classic is disgraceful. Don't advertise your game as "going back to the roots" if it simply doesn't 1:1 the classic.

Well to me it sounds like you were expecting too much, but hey, that happens. Sorry to hear that.

Just played Act 1 and 2 of Green Hill and Chemical Zone.
The game is 60 fps with dips with when you enter the water in chemical zone.
It looks incredible in 1080p with ax graphics.

I like the classic sonic parts.
The modern sonic parts are WTF for me just now. Doesnt he go too fucking fast?
The last modern sonic i beat was Secret Rings (which i liked) and i dont remember he going so fast that i dont even know where to go, and that game was on rails.
I dont know, maybe Im not accostumed, but I didnt liked them.

I also hate all the text always saying "classic sonic has simpler controls", "classic sonic stages are easier", "classic sonic is uncool kid, play better super ultra cool modern sonic", "after this game we are going to kill classic sonic again" Fucking Sonic Team...

And how do you get to the bosses? Doesnt every 2 acts have a boss?
I love when I rescued amy (wtf being there no classic version of her, when she clearly has in sonic cd), the face that classic sonic puts "one second of hearing her and im already fed up of this shit" is awesome.
Also thank god, spanish voices>>>american voices, sonic doesnt sound a douchebag in the spanish version (although I would have preferred Rafael Alonso, because he was the classic funny sonic).

Teknoman

TheSeks said:

I dont think they ever said they were going back to the roots, and besides people would flip out anyway if the stages were 1 to 1 layouts.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Just played Act 1 and 2 of Green Hill and Chemical Zone.
The game is 60 fps with dips with when you enter the water in chemical zone.
It looks incredible in 1080p with ax graphics.

I like the classic sonic parts.
The modern sonic parts are WTF for me just now. Doesnt he go too fucking fast?
The last modern sonic i beat was Secret Rings (which i liked) and i dont remember he going so fast that i dont even know where to go, and that game was on rails.
I dont know, maybe Im not accostumed, but I didnt liked them.

And how do you get to the bosses? Doesnt every 2 acts have a boss?
I love when I rescued amy (wtf being there no classic version of her, when she clearly has in sonic cd), the face that classic sonic puts "one second of hearing her and im already fed up of this shit" is awesome.
Also thank god, spanish voices>>>american voices, sonic doesnt sound a douchebag in the spanish version (although I would have preferred Rafael Alonso, because he was the classic funny sonic).

Dont use boost too much. As modern Sonic just move at normal speeds, and boost when necessary. All modern Sonic stages outside of Green Hill actively discourage constant boosting, or large amounts of boost usage. Also slow down when you have to do some platforming/look for alternate routes.

You'll make it to a boss or rival race soon enough though.

Teknoman said:
I dont think they ever said they were going back to the roots, and besides people would flip out anyway if the stages were 1 to 1 layouts.

Dont use boost too much. As modern Sonic just move at normal speeds, and boost when necessary. All modern Sonic stages outside of Green Hill actively discourage constant boosting, or large amounts of boost usage. Also slow down when you have to do some platforming/look for alternate routes.

I didnt boost. Only once in green hill becuase the tutorial told me.
He just goes too fast.

ismaboof said:
Anybody know what I can expect fps-wise with a Macbook Pro bootcamping Win7 64 bit?

2.2GHz i7
8GB
Radeon HD 6750M (1GB)

I have the same computer, but only 4GB ram. I'm playing with resolution set at 1280 by 720 and V Sync on.

99 percent of Green Hill ran at 60 fps. Chemical Plant Zone definitely has issues. At times it is 60 fps, but there were times where it drops sharply to the teens or below for a few seconds. Everything is playable though and it does look quite pretty.

Skilletor

Wow.

This game is gorgeous. I'm on a GTX 460 getting a solid 60fps throughout. Only dip was the big whale thing.

Gorgeous. Glad I bought it.

First Sonic game I've bought since Adventure on DC. :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Playing on PC as well. Almost runs perfect, but the damn game likes to hang out around 57 fps regardless of settings resulting in a very annoying stuttering problem. The PS3 version actually seems to have this as well (going by the demo) while the 360 version is perfectly sync'd. I don't know what's up.

Anyone figure out windowed mode? I have a feeling that would solve it.

I'd be willing to bet that the stuttering is an ATI problem while nVidia cards run it flawlessly. :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
SpacePirate Ridley said:
I love when I rescued amy
(wtf being there no classic version of her, when she clearly has in sonic cd), the face that classic sonic puts "one second of hearing her and im already fed up of this shit"
is awesome.
I told you the Classic Sonic bits were better! LOL.

Skilletor said:
Wow.

This game is gorgeous. I'm on a GTX 460 getting a solid 60fps throughout. Only dip was the big whale thing.

Gorgeous. Glad I bought it.

First Sonic game I've bought since Adventure on DC. :)
Awesome, I'll get some fantastic graphics and framerate then :D
Buying it tomorrow...whenever Paypal gives me my money.

dark10x

TheSeks said:
I can't agree with that at all. They TRIED hard to pull this shit off even back on the Genny/SegaCD. Sonic CD, for instance, immediately throws a pseudo-3D ramp in your face within 10 seconds of play. There are a lot of elements like this throughout the original series where they are attempting to fake 3D perspective.

Now that it can actually be achieved, I don't see a problem with it.

KTallguy

Banned
I played the demo last night, and I really dislike how in the 2D parts, sometimes you walk towards a tunnel and the game decides YOU'RE GOING FAST HERE! and then suddenly I'm fucking flying. There is no boost pad or anything, it's just random insta-speed.

Edit: It basically feels like they found a bug where the player could get stuck in the tube, and instead of fixing it, just made it so that the player can't control their speed, like some kind of invisible modifier. Which is a really lazy/cheap way to do it..

Also sometimes I can feel the game pushing me forward onto platforms when I want to go straight up. But then if I jump on a spring at an angle it makes me go instantly vertically up... it's so weird.

Also it's weird that if I run straight into a vertical spring, it makes me go straight up (in the older games you had to jump on them, which gave you some pacing between speedy sections).

I think they did a lot of good things and it's better, but still so weird. Also 3D sonic is still silly... the spectacle is nice but just so many random enemies out of nowhere.

Mistle

My decryption has been on 1% for like 10-15 mins... normal? :S Please tell me it speeds up, lol

edit- Just as I posted this it bumped up to 5%.. typical, lol

EDIT- lol, now at 85%. gotta love inconsistent load bars.

dark10x

Alright ATI owners, download DXWND and eliminate stuttering. Just tried it with this game in windowed mode (turning on overscan also eliminates the window, which is nice) and the stuttering is gone just like I thought.

I don't know why ATI cards have this issue with some games, but this is a work around.

LaneDS

Played the first two acts (classic and modern Green Hill) and was really impressed with how it looked and played on PC. Not sure if the higher framerate meant the controls were better somehow, but it just felt a lot more enjoyable to me than my time with the PS3 demo.

I did however immediately tune out when modern Sonic started talking with his billion shitty friends. I am not sure why Sega decided to charge about half as much for a version that so far seems a good deal superior (I guess the requirements are rather high), but I am glad they did because $25 is a super fair price for this. Hope I continue to enjoy it as it goes on.

branny

RagnarokX said:
Double Jump and swimming in Colors were terrible and I'm glad they got rid of them. The water parts of water levels in Colors were not fun to swim through and drill may as well been drilling through anything. The underwater parts were huge, empty, and devoid of platforming.
What? Not fun? Navigating through the water sections was fast on foot when you ran along the floor. It was fast in the air (well, water) when you boosted or drilled. You could ascend with ease via the jump spam. And you could descend on a dime with the stomp. You could get anywhere you wanted, quickly. Areas underwater were huge but I would not consider them empty or devoid of platforming. In many cases, there was usually a path above the water, a path in the middle of the water (probably emptiest at this point--think of it like the sky after using a rocket wisp), and a path on the sea floor. A lot of the underwater sections were filled with so much crap that they insisted on giving you fish shields for protection at every air pocket. I respect your opinion but I don't understand where it's coming from.

dark10x said:
I can't agree with that at all. They TRIED hard to pull this shit off even back on the Genny/SegaCD. Sonic CD, for instance, immediately throws a pseudo-3D ramp in your face within 10 seconds of play. There are a lot of elements like this throughout the original series where they are attempting to fake 3D perspective.

Now that it can actually be achieved, I don't see a problem with it.

Yes. this x1000. Classic sonic in this game is the 16 bit levels reimagined using this technology. All through the 90s Sonic team were trying to do shit like that, they just couldn't because the tech was so awful. also look at the sonic 2 bonus level.

jett said:
How old are we talking about here?
don't worry my main computer is 3 and half a year old and it wasn't a gaming pc at the start. As long as you're willing to lower the rez a bit a 2 year old gaming pc should be able to run this above 30 fps

RagnarokX

Giant Bomb on Stardust Speedway Bad Future Japanese: "Well I'm glad that Sonic Generations is keeping the tradition of bad hip hop live in Sonic Games."

Nert

RagnarokX said:
Patrick Klepek on Stardust Speedway Bad Future Japanese: "Well I'm glad that Sonic Generations is keeping the tradition of bad hip hop live in Sonic Games."

Fixed :p

Top Bottom