• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Teknoman

Im still surprised people are thinking that the modern stages are too fast/dont have enough slow sections in them. Granted Speed Highway does seem to barrel past you pretty fast.

Also Giant Bomb Patrick Klepek needs to stop hatin :p

JRW

My god I it's amazing how much better PC version is vs. 360, Running at a solid 60fps alone makes all the difference.

Cmagus

K so just finished the game and it was pretty damn good I must say although
shadow and silver fights sucked hard and the final boss
I'll work on the trials now

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
My initial impressions are just about wholly positive. I think the modern stages are actually fantastic 95% of the time but well... I'll just say that hating 3D Sonic is ingrained into the DNA of Sonic fans at this point and I'm not sure any kind of non-2D gameplay would ever seem good.

I think Sonic Team has just about figured out 3D sonic though, between Colors and this. At worse, their camera technology still breaks now and then, just nowhere near as bad as in all their 3D games from Sonic Adventure thru Sonic 2006.

Otherwise, game is ahead trip. My biggest single complaint? There aren't enough bosses with the act and boss structure they've chosen. Now granted, each main boss in the game is a major event, a level in itself. But still, I would have preferred to see a remake of the proper boss from each zone attached to the zones themselves.

Mupod

Man, I love Modern Chemical Plant. Best time is 2:13 so far, I'll put it on youtube but my upload is gutter trash so it may take all night.

Now to watch other people's videos and see what obvious shortcuts I missed.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Square Triangle said:
How do you tell an artist their style is wrong?

Poorly drawn is poorly drawn. Gabe's animals are always drawn far worse than any human character, taking his style into account. His caricatures of real life celebrities look on-target. If he draws a game mascot or such... not so much.

Cmagus

Kaijima said:
Otherwise, game is ahead trip. My biggest single complaint? There aren't enough bosses with the act and boss structure they've chosen. Now granted, each main boss in the game is a major event, a level in itself. But still, I would have preferred to see a remake of the proper boss from each zone attached to the zones themselves.

I feel the same way although I will say the majority of the boss fights save for
robot eggman
really highlight where modern Sonic is weakest especially the
silver and shadow fights

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Well, the PC version if you can run it is the version to get. SO much easier to see when it's this clear at 60 FPS.

Just played for about three hours straight. Easily the best Sonic game I have played in years. I'm having so much fun right now. I don't understand how this could possibly get a negative review from anyone that enjoys a good platformer or is a fan of Sonic or past Sonic games.

PC version is fucking amazing. Nice job, Sega! Looks like it's selling well on Steam too.

Mistle

Runs fine for me! Intel Q9550, HD Radeon 5770 and 8GB DDR2 ram.

Using a Wii Classic Controller Pro. The D-pad on it is amazing for classic Sonic gameplay.

Does anybody else find that the game looks vertically stretched with a 16:10 monitor?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Man, if only I didn't have a report due tomorrow, I'd finally beat the game (since I think I have two bosses left?). Ah well. I probably should have done the side missions last in retrospect.

I'm glad the players who are playing the PC version are enjoying it a lot though. It definitely seems like the version to get.

Giant Bomb said:
Stardust Speedway Bad Future Japanese: "Well I'm glad that Sonic Generations is keeping the tradition of bad hip hop live in Sonic Games."
YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH

Also is there a way to get regular wireless 360 controllers to work on a PC without buying anything extra? Thanks in advance.

TheOGB

Banned
Suzuki Yu said:
Holy shit

I wish it looked that good on my computer :(

dark10x said:
Alright ATI owners, download DXWND and eliminate stuttering. Just tried it with this game in windowed mode (turning on overscan also eliminates the window, which is nice) and the stuttering is gone just like I thought.

I don't know why ATI cards have this issue with some games, but this is a work around.
So this stops the stuttering and enables windowed mode?

scitek

AbsoluteZero said:
Looks good, though not really night vs. day better than the console version.

No, but being double the framerate would definitely look leagues better. That video is 30.

Teknoman

AbsoluteZero said:
Looks good, though not really night vs. day better than the console version.

Well Youtube has trouble with 60 fps videos I think. You really have to see it in person to get the best impression. Either that or just imagine Generations moving at Sonic 1-3 or Sonic Adventure 2 speeds.

scitek said:
No, but being double the framerate would definitely look leagues better. That video is 30.

Exactly.

Everyone is going to be spoiled by the time Sonic Wii U or whatever the next one is hits and isnt 60fps.

Skilletor

Kaijima said:
My initial impressions are just about wholly positive. I think the modern stages are actually fantastic 95% of the time but well... I'll just say that hating 3D Sonic is ingrained into the DNA of Sonic fans at this point and I'm not sure any kind of non-2D gameplay would ever seem good.

I think Sonic Team has just about figured out 3D sonic though, between Colors and this. At worse, their camera technology still breaks now and then, just nowhere near as bad as in all their 3D games from Sonic Adventure thru Sonic 2006.

I really enjoyed the 3D level I played.

I've got NaNo and homework to do, but I think I'm going to stay up late tonight to play some more sonic. I played through Act 1 with modern/classic and chemical zone with classic. DAT NOSTALGIA!

There were some frame drops for me in Chemcial Zone, but only when falling through the level. The game runs really well. So impressed.

I'm a new PC gamer and after playing the demo on 360, this is heaven. :)

PC version runs... poorly for me.

Q6600 @ 3.0ghz, 6770, 4gm ram. 1600x900 (monitor is 1680x1050 but that setting stretches the picture vertically). No AA.

Most of the time it's a clear damn-near-60fps. Gorgeous. On Green Hill it runs without a hiccup. WAY better than the console demos. Chemical Plant, on the other hand, has more than a few segments where it suddenly drops down to maybe 5-10fps for a second or two before jumping back up to perfect. There are some quick jumps for different routes that are rendered more or less impossible.

Turning off V-Sync and turning shadows and reflections to low doesn't have any real effect on this momentary chugging. Might make it a bit better but not enough to make it playable. I have fairly old hardware so I didn't expect to be able to run it flawlessly, but it's weird to have it play almost perfectly 95% of the time with only occasional freak-outs where it gets terrible.

Median

Just want to echo the sentiment that the game looks so much better at 60 FPS on PC. I'm running a Q6600 at 3.18GHZ and a 6970 at 1920x1080. I haven't played a ton of the game so far, just up to Chemical Plant, where I was having some pretty nasty framerate issues. Probably dropping down to the low 20s there. Still, when the framerate is solid, it's so much more clear than the console versions.

Teknoman

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor running at 3.2 Ghz
Radeon HD 4870 1GB
4GB ram

How much better would the 6770 be than the 4870 be? Kinda making me uneasy since im still downloading and cant test myself.

EDIT: Unless everyone is having Chemical Plant issues and its something that needs patching. Any frame drops in Sky Sanctuary or Speed Highway?

Teknoman said:
EDIT: Unless everyone is having Chemical Plant issues and its something that needs patching. Any frame drops in Sky Sanctuary or Speed Highway?
From what I've read, the problems that first appear in Chemical Plant (if you get them) only get worse as you move forward.

Based on what I've seen it seems like it might be more of CPU thing than a video card thing.

Rhythmic

Teknoman said:
Radeon HD 4870 1GB
4GB ram

How much better would the 6770 be than the 4870 be? Kinda making me uneasy since im still downloading and cant test myself.

I had lots of dips during chemical plant but sky sanctuary played fine for me. Haven't played levels after that yet.

amd athlon II x3 2.9ghz, 2gigs ram and ati 4670

Ozone

Wow, playing through Classic Speed Highway looking for red rings, there are a LOT of paths you can take through the buildings. Seriously, go explore that.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I really need to see some competent runs of modern Speed Highway and City Escape. I was able to manage quite competently with the earlier Modern levels, but I still can't grasp the 'feel' of control in those two levels at all. Just absolutely hate them right now.

QisTopTier said:
LOL the metal sonic fight was lame as hell... why are so many people excited about it again?

yeah.. lol i have to admit, it was probably the most uneventful, short and dull boss fight I've seen in a while. it wasn't broken or anything but definitely nothing special.

L00P

It slows down in that one part in Chemical Plant on my end as well

petethepanda said:
From what I've read, the problems that first appear in Chemical Plant (if you get them) only get worse as you move forward.

Based on what I've seen it seems like it might be more of CPU thing than a video card thing.
FUCK

DonMigs85

Teknoman said:
Radeon HD 4870 1GB
4GB ram

Other than DX11 support the 4870 is pretty close to the 5770, and the 6770 is a small bump over that. Better off getting at least a 6870 or better.

Goddamn, can't get over how amazing it looks and runs on PC. So glad I got it on Steam.

Modern Chemical Plant was awesome. Haven't gotten to play much since I'm working today, but I snuck in a bit of time during my break.

L00P said:
It slows down in that one part in Chemical Plant on my end as well

FUCK
Actually I just tried modern Sky Sanctuary and while there were very noticeable drops they weren't anywhere near as bad as the game-breaking ones in Chemical Plant. Hopefully that's true for the rest...

ShadiWulf

I'm curious in seeing what CPU's will get through the full game without having any framerate issues. Seeing what people are saying in this topic it sounds like a budget gaming CPU might not be able to do that. I know i5 will, maybe, but I wanna see if any others can do it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished it and really enjoyed it. I actually liked both classic and modern sonic about the same for different reasons. Classic sonic is a real good representation of simplistic run and jump platforming while modern sonic is a real good go real fast and have fun with the mounds of variety that's thrown at you every 5 seconds.

Totally agree with people saying that it had a poor finish. 2 out of the last 3 stages were pretty bad and the final bosses were very mediocre. I just really hate the art style of Sonic 2006's Crisis City and the level design itself doesn't really make up for it.

And i had the same problem with Sonic Color's Planet Wisp that I had with Sonic Color in general. Wisps do nothing but slow the game to a snails pace. The only value that they attempt to add is buy adding a puzzle element, but the puzzles are so incredibly easy to figure out that you can't even call them a puzzle. They just simply aren't fun. Playing all of the great other levels right before this one allowed for that contrast to really shine through.

And finally I must warn people that if you have a choice do not get the PS3 version. The loading times were horrible compared to what I've seen of the 360 version. Its not a huge deal but if you are trying to decide which version, PC or 360 is the way to go.

Sciz

And you people doubted the master race.

dark10x said:
Alright ATI owners, download DXWND and eliminate stuttering. Just tried it with this game in windowed mode (turning on overscan also eliminates the window, which is nice) and the stuttering is gone just like I thought.

I don't know why ATI cards have this issue with some games, but this is a work around.
How's this program work, exactly? My 4850 isn't maintaining 60 frames as much as I'd like, so dropping the resolution a bit in a window is a compromise I'm willing to make.

Mistle

DeVeAn said:
Why is steam decrypting games files slow as fuck? I have never had a game do this on steam.
Starts slow but speeds up very quickly.

Anyway, I've noticed sliiiiiiiight frame rate drops but in general, it's been running amazingly. Just finished Sky Sanctuary. The game is amazing so far.

Question:
When playing at 16:10 resolutions, it is vertically stretched. So I want to play it in 16:9 with black bars. Unfortunately, my ATI graphics card automatically scales to fit, and the "maintain aspect ratio" button in CCC is greyed out. There is a work around though, which is changing my monitors resolution to a lower one- this then enables "maintain aspect ratio". It's really annoying. Is there a way to fix this?

ShadiWulf

New Japanese trailer

Apotos confirmed for the 3DS version
http://youtu.be/I7D4nmR8ty8

XD, history of the handheld series. I remember reading somewhere, someone calling the 3DS version "history of the 1st stage" XD I honestly think that would be an appropriate title for it

Reports of 60fps? No reported nVidia problems? Works great on i5 processors?

Damnit GAF you might have well burned $30 out of my wallet, thanks.

The music in this game is absolutely amazing. Worth the price of entry alone.

However, Planet Wisp......god-awful fucking level. Is this what Colors is like? Glad I skipped it.

ss_lemonade

I always wondered how their sonic engine would look like without any compromise to resolution or framerate. I'm glad there's a PC version

Cmagus

HeresSomeWeapons said:

However, Planet Wisp......god-awful fucking level. Is this what Colors is like? Glad I skipped it.

Haha glad im not alone easily the worst modern and classic stage in the game.The modern version goes on for waay to long

Sciz

Mistle said:
Question:
When playing at 16:10 resolutions, it is vertically stretched. So I want to play it in 16:9 with black bars. Unfortunately, my ATI graphics card automatically scales to fit, and the "maintain aspect ratio" button in CCC is greyed out. There is a work around though, which is changing my monitors resolution to a lower one- this then enables "maintain aspect ratio". It's really annoying. Is there a way to fix this?
Select "Letterbox" as your display mode in the config tool.

Teknoman

HeresSomeWeapons said:

Sonic Colors should be different than here since there, the zone had several different areas.

Wonko_C

Someone upload a 60fps video! it doesn't even have to be 1080p. I won't be able to purchase the game until next week.

Top Bottom