• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Veal

Radeon 6870
8GB RAM
Phenom II 970 @4.0ghz

Game looks PHENOMENAL. Chemical Plant had some stuttering, but other than that, smooth 60fps at 1080p. This game almost looks too good at times. Definitely getting the "Whoa, colors!" feeling from this, like the first time I played Sonic Adventure! Welcome back Sonic!

Mistle

HeresSomeWeapons said:
However, Planet Wisp......god-awful fucking level. Is this what Colors is like? Glad I skipped it.
Really? That's a shame, as the Colours version is one of my favourite Sonic levels of all time

Sciz said:
Select "Letterbox" as your display mode in the config tool.
Ah, thank you very much! Didn't notice that.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
HeresSomeWeapons said:
However, Planet Wisp......god-awful fucking level. Is this what Colors is like? Glad I skipped it.
Colours' version was different from Generations' version of the stage. Planet Wisp in Sonic Colours was divided into six different stages + a boss, and you also had access to more Wisps.

video

Nert

I enjoyed the Planet Wisp levels in the context of being
the "final" levels
; they were a bit of a grind to get through, but unless my memories are off, so were areas like Metropolis Zone and Scrap Brain Zone. I do think that the classic version would have been more fun if it used the
wisp
more sparingly, though.

Dreamcast2 said:
I have the same computer, but only 4GB ram. I'm playing with resolution set at 1280 by 720 and V Sync on.

99 percent of Green Hill ran at 60 fps. Chemical Plant Zone definitely has issues. At times it is 60 fps, but there were times where it drops sharply to the teens or below for a few seconds. Everything is playable though and it does look quite pretty.
Just beat the game tonight on my 2011 MBP. Played on my TV at 720p with just AA turned off. Game ran smooth the majority of the time.

branny

thepotatoman said:
And i had the same problem with Sonic Color's Planet Wisp that I had with Sonic Color in general. Wisps do nothing but slow the game to a snails pace. The only value that they attempt to add is buy adding a puzzle element, but the puzzles are so incredibly easy to figure out that you can't even call them a puzzle. They just simply aren't fun. Playing all of the great other levels right before this one allowed for that contrast to really shine through.
HeresSomeWeapons said:
The way wisps are implemented in Generations is not up to par with how they are in Colors. Most stages in Colors have multiple wisps (if not all of them but I'm not 100% sure). They nerfed all the obvious tricks you could use spikes for with Eggman panels. They also emphasized the rocket for vertical movement and added Generations-only "rocket block" breaking that messes up the flow. In Colors there was none of that--rocket wisp was used sparingly, optionally, and ended in skydiving sections you could abuse to get farther along horizontally into stages. The way rocket is used in Generations is more akin to how they used the hover wisp in Colors, minus the ability to light dash.

Have you seen Colors speed runs? Snails pace is not the way I'd describe it. Here are two utilizing the wisps found in Generations:

Speed run in Colors with Orange Wisp.
Speed run in Colors with Pink Wisp. (Act 1 in Planet Wisp for HeresSomeWeapons)

Edit: Bonus speed run that shows both the drill wisp (underwater) and the hover wisp.
Edit 2: Ahhh, another one with underwater drilling and laser. <3

DeVeAn

Veal said:
Radeon 6870
8GB RAM
Phenom II 970 @4.0ghz

Game looks PHENOMENAL. Chemical Plant had some stuttering, but other than that, smooth 60fps at 1080p. This game almost looks too good at times. Definitely getting the "Whoa, colors!" feeling from this, like the first time I played Sonic Adventure! Welcome back Sonic!
Green was locked a 60 fps for me with both Sonic's. Chemical Plant is fucked up. Don't know why either. Man after seeing on PC its time for nex gen this makes the consoles versions look really bad.

Seik

Banned
I'm downloading it on Steam right now, YAY! I already have it on PS3, but man...the difference! I don't care giving money to SEGA, they deserved it.

I may even buy the disc version when it'll come out, just to have the real thing. Yeah I know...D:

HeresSomeWeapons said:
The music in this game is absolutely amazing. Worth the price of entry alone.

Colors version, particularly Act 1 in Colors, has far better gameplay AND music.

LaneDS

So I've played through the first three acts with modern and classic, and did the fourth (Speed Highway) with modern. Also ran through about 12 of the challenges with both characters. Overall, glad I purchased the game. I would have preferred if there was a classic campaign and a modern campaign, because while I'm actually enjoying the modern gameplay I think just about all of the spoken dialog is groan-worthy. Also, having to switch between the two styles between levels isn't great because it takes you out of the rhythm a bit. That's a minor gripe though.

All of this coming from someone who hasn't enjoyed Sonic since the Dreamcast games. I tried Secret Rings and found it abysmal, and while Colors looked good (emulated), I really didn't like the gameplay there. Felt wrong to me in ways this game, even modern, does not.

And again, $25 was the right entry point. That Amazon code was directly redeemable through Steam, for those who might be on the fence still.

DeVeAn

Seik said:
I'm downloading it on Steam right now, YAY! I already have it on PS3, but man...the difference! I don't care giving money to SEGA, they deserved it.
Dude, PS3 version has long ass load times. Plus the PC version runs at 60 fps on Green Hill at least. Night and Day.

Seik

Banned
DeVeAn said:
Dude, PS3 version has long ass load times. Plus the PC version runs at 60 fps on Green Hill at least. Night and Day.

Spot on! :D

That's exactly what I'm saying, its a world of difference! Plus, its a good PC port and I strongly encourage this.

ckohler

If you touch a red star ring, do you have to also finish the act or does just touching it immediately add it to your collection?

I don't want to read OP for spoiler reasons (I don't want to know any of the levels until I play them). But I do have a question or two:

Is there any replayability?

And...

Controller support for PC version? I am not playing this with a damn keyboard. I usually would not have to ask something like this, but Sega has screwed me over before like this.

Honestly, I'm kinda bleh so far when I have to play as Classic Sonic. The modern levels are awesome. Not as good as Colors, but close.

The Mana Legend: It does support controllers. I'm using my wireless 360 controller and it works by default.

Zomba13

The Mana Legend said:
I don't want to read OP for spoiler reasons (I don't want to know any of the levels until I play them). But I do have a question or two:

Is there any replayability?

And...

Controller support for PC version? I am not playing this with a damn keyboard. I usually would not have to ask something like this, but Sega has screwed me over before like this.
Replayability: Only in an improving score way.
Controller: fully supports the 360 pad.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I own the PS3 version and I concur--PC or X360 is the way to go if you have the options. The PS3 version is still playable and sometimes the player might not notice the framerate drops, but the other two versions seem to have a more stable framerate. PC version even moreso.

branny said:
I don't care what anyone says. I liked the swimming and drilling in Aquarium Park. I had so much fun with that stage!

And the music is so good.

Plus it's really pretty:

Zomba13

Dark Schala said:
I own the PS3 version and I concur--PC or X360 is the way to go if you have the options. The PS3 version is still playable and sometimes the player might not notice the framerate drops, but the other two versions seem to have a more stable framerate.

I don't care what anyone says. I liked the swimming and drilling in Aquarium Park. I had so much fun with that stage!

And the music is so good.

Plus it's really pretty:
Was my favourite colours world. Amazing music and very fun water controls (one of the very few games where I actually liked the water sections).

iavi

Put me in the camp that enjoys modern more than classic. They nailed it this time around, better than they did in even Colors.

Great to hear that the PC version, so far, seems to have turned out well. Shame that version's far out of my PC's range for a while.

Finished off the bosses and rivals on Hard, with S Ranks. I messed around with the first one,
Death Egg Robot
a bunch and found a few interesting things:
  • His feet aren't likely to hurt you, except during the stomp attack. They just push you aside.
  • Get in close first thing, get him to fire his arm, then get back close and wait for his crushing jump. Get behind, land the hit as usual. Then he gets up, moves forward a bit, and hops to turn around. You have plenty of time to get back under him during this hop and hit him again. This either takes you to the next part, or if you're on hard, you can keep doing it for the extra two hits needed.
  • You can delay the sequence change, seemingly indefinitely, by just leaping in the air when he stomps down. Just keep running under him as you need to and leaping up before he lands. It's pointless, since I don't think you can hurt him at this point, but it's a bit of extra fun to do.

Two glitches I ran into doing this,
the first was me hopping about after I should've been ejected, somehow I got stuck or pushed too far to the right of the elevator, and got pushed through or down by him into the shaft below, eventually dying. The other was I got him to hit a bomb, but there was no arm extended for me to jump on. Okay... I got the bomb to reappear just before he attacked it, and I don't think he even looked stunned, but I jumped over to where his arm would be, and just shot running through the air, through a back wall and died.

The third big boss,
Egg Dragoon
has issues. For one, the
forced running mechanic feels a little too mach speed, and screws some things up, making you spam the lane change button to get off the sides sometimes, especially if you mess up on the rails.
There's times when
you're supposed to be able to hit him, but the window is very small and it's fussy about it, Sonic even flew off toward the background at one point trying to finish a homing attack I started in time before popping back into the 2D plane. Also, he can force a 2D perspective change before his "Skewer you" attack fires, which basically forces you to run through it and take damage. Awesome.

What's terrible is with some polish and a few adjustments, it would've been a great last boss. Better than the actual final boss.

So I've already beaten all the bosses and rivals, got the preorder DLC, all the acts and a bunch of the missions. Why on the hub screen is there a moving platform to the right of Planet Wisp's entrance that seemingly takes you nowhere? Is it literally just to tease or show you you need to go further left to get up to the missions? I don't think you can get to anything from there. Seems extremely pointless.

ckohler said:
If you touch a red star ring, do you have to also finish the act or does just touching it immediately add it to your collection?

You have to finish the level. I think you have to at least make it to a checkpoint after you collected it before dying, or it resets.

Seik

Banned
Miri said:
Put me in the camp that enjoys modern more than classic. They nailed it this time around, better than they did in even Colors.

I agree, I had a lot of fun in these modern section and I'm in the same camp.

Still, Planet Wisp in Generations is weaker than the Colors version imo.

EDIT: 30%...HHHHGGGGNNN gotta wait for tomorrow...its almost 3 am here =_=

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
^Now that's what I want to hear.

The Xtortionist said:
Did I mention how fucking amazing Speed Highway is. Both acts obviously. Good god.
Seriously. It looks so damn stunning. I love going through that one using either Sonic because I feel like I find something new every time I go through it.

Actually,
a lot of the night levels/sunset levels in Generations look really great. My favourite is still Sky Sanctuary's night mission just because I had not envisioned that level at night before. It was a really nice touch.

Zomba13 said:
Was my favourite colours world. Amazing music and very fun water controls (one of the very few games where I actually liked the water sections).
I had the most fun with it out of all the stages in Colours, I think (Planet Wisp, Sweet Mountain and Aquarium Park were my favourites). It's just fun to mess around in because the water sections worked so well. I agree--it's one of the few platformers/games where I found myself enjoying the underwater stuff.

I really feel like the game should have done two more acts per "world," though.

Just when you start really getting in to the groove of it, it's over and you're shuffled off to the next world.

Card Boy

Banned
PC version here

First level works but had 3 crashes. Second level after the Cutscene and Hub won't even load, waited 3 minutes each time before quiting. Just stays on the loading screen indefinitely.

We will see (if ever) if Sega fixes this shit.

I dropped down to 40-50 fps at 2560x1440 in the chemical plant in some places.. still mostly 60 fps..

Screenshot I captured from Green Hill..

Click for full-size -

Color me surprised after the shitty ports of other sega games to the PC..

un-opened 360 copy is getting returned at gamestop tomorrow.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ShockingAlberto said:
I really feel like the game should have done two more acts per "world," though.

Just when you start really getting in to the groove of it, it's over and you're shuffled off to the next world.
I agree with that. Coming off of Colours, it's a little jarring to be limited to two main acts per stage. I guess the ten challenge missions per stage were created be additional "acts" in each stage and to pad the game out a bit. Some of the challenge missions did feel a bit like some of Colours' stages in that they were associated with some "stage gimmick" or reliance on one powerup throughout the level, and were also quite short. But the difference is that some of these challenges use shortened forms of the main acts' maps, or switched things around a bit to make the challenge a little more "feasible" to do in that environment, rather than creating a new act unto itself sometimes.

I think I might need to go back to Colours after finishing off Generations to make a better comparison, but as of now I wish I could have seen more of what they could have done with the setpieces and assets for each stage for "main" acts.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Does Sonic 1 have any trophies in this game?

Teknoman

Andrex said:
why jpg

WHY JPG

Sonic-Generations-Andriasang-screenshot-1.jpg

luka

Loves Robotech S1
ULTROS! said:
Does Sonic 1 have any trophies in this game?
Nope. It's the oldest version of the game anyway with no improved backgrounds or water, no spike bug fix, and the sound is completely messed up. Better off playing it on an emulator like kega fusion.

Teknoman

luka said:
Nope. It's the oldest version of the game anyway with no improved backgrounds or water, no spike bug fix, and the sound is completely messed up. Better off playing it on an emulator like kega fusion.

Wait what? Seriously?

celebi23

luka said:
WTF? Why would Sega put so much effort in the rest of the game only to fuck that up? Oh wait, now I remember, it's Sega >_<

Edit

Kulock said:
Seriously. It's Backbone at almost its laziest. At least it doesn't have some awful filter slapped over it.
Well, that makes a bit more sense. Still shitty though

Zomba13

I'm at the final boss now. (only done enough side stuff to get me here).

I geeked out during the cutscene. So good :D

Anyone else think the Planet Wisp stage was horrible for both Sonics? By far the worst stage. Just not fun and lasted too long.

Seik

Banned
luka said:

Oh really? I didn't even tried it yet. That's quite disappointing. :(

ShockingAlberto said:
It's weird how they directly reference the two Wii games (we will never talk about Black Knight) but only Colors made it in.
Hmm, yeah. I would really like to play a version of that Palace level with the flying carpet in a form that's not on-rails...

Teknoman

Kulock said:
Seriously. It's Backbone at almost its laziest. At least it doesn't have some awful filter slapped over it.

Backbone just had to mess up something...Has anyone from the company ever spoke out on some of these decisions?

Zomba13 said:
I'm at the final boss now. (only done enough side stuff to get me here).

I geeked out during the cutscene. So good :D

Anyone else think the Planet Wisp stage was horrible for both Sonics? By far the worst stage. Just not fun and lasted too long.

Its supposed to be a last stage and those usually seem that way in every Sonic title since Scrap Brain. Great music and environment art style, but kinda tough/nearly frustrating to get through.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Crumpet Trumpet said:
Hmm, yeah. I would really like to play a version of that Palace level with the flying carpet in a form that's not on-rails...

Most of Secret Rings' levels would be interesting to see Generations/Color-style.

Foffy

Banned
I'm really enjoying the game, but one really annoying thing is when it comes to Red Rings this time around is that each area only tells you how many of the five you have. In Colors, it would hollow out the Rings if you missed one but obtained another in a later section of the level. This makes getting the Rings a little more tedious, because having four of the five simply doesn't mean the fifth is found near the end of the level.

Other than that, and some occasional bugs/oddities it's a very swell game. Crisis City is just as broken when it comes to attacking enemies almost as it was in Sonic 2006, but I can only hopefully assume this was an intentional design decision to make people relive the whole experience.

Top Bottom