• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

branny

Foffy said:
I'm really enjoying the game, but one really annoying thing is when it comes to Red Rings this time around is that each area only tells you how many of the five you have. In Colors, it would hollow out the Rings if you missed one but obtained another in a later section of the level. This makes getting the Rings a little more tedious, because having four of the five simply doesn't mean the fifth is found near the end of the level.
Yeah, that was nice in Colors. One of the few complaints I have with Colors, though, is that after you find all five rings and go back to that particular act, you can't tell what rings you've already grabbed that current run because it always shows them collected. When doing stuff for score on completed stages, it was annoying.

Seik

Banned
Foffy said:
Other than that, and some occasional bugs/oddities it's a very swell game. Crisis City is just as broken when it comes to attacking enemies almost as it was in Sonic 2006, but I can only hopefully assume this was an intentional design decision to make people relive the whole experience.

This, I died so many time trying to hit an enemy and I ended up dying or getting hit.

That fucking tornado at the end of act 1 was hardcore too, but I think the concept of making the goal move further in the level is great though! :p

Zomba13

Seik said:
This, I died so many time trying to hit an enemy and I ended up dying or getting hit.
Same.

Maybe it was intentional lol.

EDIT: Do we get Sonic 1 in the PC version? I saw in the GB QL there was a megadrive above GHZ but I don't think that is there for me.

Seik

Banned
Zomba13 said:
Same.

Maybe it was intentional lol.

EDIT: Do we get Sonic 1 in the PC version? I saw in the GB QL there was a megadrive above GHZ but I don't think that is there for me.

You have to buy the Genesis Controller in the shop.

Mistle

I'm enjoying the modern levels more also. Classic is still great, but they've really worked out a good formula for modern. Heaps of speed, but it still feels like you're in control.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Phonomezer said:
Loving this so much. I S ranked the Green Hill/Chemical Plant zones without trying, lol. I suppose that's a given.
They are really really lenient on the S ranks. Thankfully there is online reccords for how fast you beat stuff :p

DeVeAn

Man the game runs 60fps most of the time but, there are times where it stutters and cause lag. Had it in speed highway with classic Sonic.

Chemical plant is almost busted. I dropped everything down and off and still gets bad hits in that stage. They just need a patch. I found the bosses more enjoyable on PC simply because I am not getting button lag.

Peagles

Oh my gawd... The Collector's Edition is amazing! Definitely one of the best CEs I've ever purchased. Would have been better if the statue wasn't plastic, but all the others extras are cool and the box it comes in is really nice. Now I just have to play it!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Peagles said:
Oh my gawd... The Collector's Edition is amazing! Definitely one of the best CEs I've ever purchased. Would have been better if the statue wasn't plastic, but all the others extras are cool and the box it comes in is really nice. Now I just have to play it!

Yeah, it looks awesome. I would have really liked it if we had gotten it in the states. One of the few CEs that actually looks to be worth $100 or so. I checked eBay to see how much one might run me, and saw they're selling for $200-$300 :-o Yeah, I'll pass.

Yuripaw

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WnUlJHITk0

I just uploaded some footage from the PC version if anyone's curious. Sorry about the low quality, but I'm still trying to figure out how to get a decent compression with higher resolution.

The game runs great even on my PC I think. I've gotten occasional frame rate hiccups, but that's kinda common on my PC since it's not a beast. Overall I'm really happy with this version of the game!

Phonomezer said:
Wait so if you get the Mega Drive controller you can play Sonic 1?!?!

Yeah, but really, it's just Sonic 1 thrown into a basic emulator. No filters (good or bad), only two options for sizes (proportional stretch with borders on the side, or 640x480 postage stamp), no savestates, no cheat codes, no stat tracking, no trophies, no achievements...

Oh, and for some reason, they used the US Sonic 1, so it has the missing parallax layers and spike bug.

And the sound emulation is pretty bad. Like I think worse than the versions you can get off of Xbox Live and PSN for some reason.

Just got this and started playing the game on PC, and wow, the classic sonic stages feel so much more responsive then they ever did playing the PS3 demos. I don't know if its the 60 fps or what. But the difference is immediately noticeable and crazy.

Quite the pleasant surprise. Looks like I'll be enjoying both parts all Sonic game for the first time in way too long. :)

Edit:

Holy shit! The Modern stages feel so much better than they did on PS3 as well, this is crazy!

Mistle

AlphaDragoon said:
Once again, Modern Planet Wisp theme sucks. It should have been the direct Colors version.
That short breakdown bit however still sounds awesome in all 3 versions, lol

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
This game is pretty good, I'd give it a 9/10 (despite it having some "stopping" problems). In fact I'd probably rank this on my top games for this year.

No idea why this game is a 77 on Metacritic.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
ULTROS! said:
This game is pretty good, I'd give it a 9/10 (despite it having some "stopping" problems). In fact I'd probably rank this on my top games for this year.

Cause it's cool to hate sonic :D

vall03

ULTROS! said:

which version did you get?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
vall03 said:
that was fast, didn't expect it to arrive early here, Im thinking of getting the Steam version though...

I got it right away at Datablitz when they opened. :p

PC version is the best version though. The PS3 is still playable (but less pretty looking as compared to the PC version).

Damn shame about the frame rate in Chemical Plant (might play sans v-sync see if that helps), but I can't not feel positive about this game. If they improved upon the Unleashed formula controls in Colors they've near perfected him here. All the awkwardness of Sonic not feeling right when he's not boosting is gone, so it's just as much fun working up to an S Rank as it is to S rank.

Can't wait to see these controls put to the test in the later levels.

edit:
AlphaDragoon said:
Once again, Modern Planet Wisp theme sucks. It should have been the direct Colors version.
:( Say it ain't so...

AXavierB

Neo Member
Got Generations this morning. Just finished the main game about an hour ago. I really enjoyed it. The controls were much better than I heard they were.

I only had a few complaints:

• Classic Sonic's spin attack is nerfed. In the Genesis games, the spin attack could be used to build momentum when moving down a slope. In this game, it actually slows you down. Its only other use is killing enemies and breaking barriers, but the spin dash can do these things just fine. Thus, the spin attack is rendered functionally useless.
  • The spin dash, by contrast, is a tad overpowered now. It immediately boosts Sonic to maximum speed, taking the challenge out of accelerating. This wasn't a huge problem for me, but others seemed to consider it a deal-breaker.
  • I'm still not a huge fan of the level selection. There wasn't enough variety, and I think there were many stages that would've been more appropriate for representing several of the games. For example, I think Starlight Carnival should have been used instead of Planet Wisp, since the latter is pretty much just Green Hill in space.
  • Even though the game controlled well for the most part, some of the later level designs weren't very good. Rooftop Run and Planet Wisp gave me a lot of trouble with Modern Sonic.
  • The bosses were pretty shoddy. The only one I really enjoyed was Perfect Chaos, and that was probably just because I had my nostalgia goggles on. The final boss is pretty fucking terrible, honestly.

Other than that, it was an awesome game, and I think it deserves the good reviews it's been getting. It's proof that Sonic Team is finally getting their act together.

Really glad I stuck with the PC version after hearing all the great impressions. Though does the boxed version really come out on the 24th? That makes Generations (though probably a couple days afterwards thanks to shipping), Skyward Sword and Rayman Origins all on one day.

Anybody willing to take a few more hi-res caps of Chemical Plant though? The ones people did of Green Hill and Sky Sanctuary that were posted in this thread earlier make for a very pretty wallpaper slideshow on my laptop, so some CP to round things off would be great.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Astrosanity said:
Anybody willing to take a few more hi-res caps of Chemical Plant though? The ones people did of Green Hill and Sky Sanctuary that were posted in this thread earlier make for a very pretty wallpaper slideshow on my laptop, so some CP to round things off would be great.

large.jpg

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Astrosanity said:
Whoops, Freudian-slip.

We are in a Sonic the Hedgehog thread after all.

I knew what you were referring to, but I just couldn't pass up on the chance to post good ol' Pedobear :lol

Just played the Steam version. 60 FPS is definitely the way to play. I have no clue why they couldn't get this game running at 60 on consoles. So while I feel the console versions are marred by that a little, this is easily the best Sonic game I've played since 1994

ULTROS! said:

Its ridiculous isn't it. what are the excuses this time. you know what i mean, the 'weakness' they attack the game for the entire review. There's no team play. There's no shitty friends who are forced on you through the main acts. there's no guns. there's no swords. there's no werehog. they brought back classic 2d game play which people have asked for. they brought back and improved the colors game play which was enjoyed by most people. so what's the problem now? Honestly, after the shit sonics been dragged through, there's finally a decent game but these guys just cant swallow their pride and say 'do you know what? He's had some terrible games over recent years but this is great.'

I genuinely feel for sonic team, this is no way a 77 game. give me a fucking break.

Bucket-o-roadkill said:
Its ridiculous isn't it. what are the excuses this time. you know what i mean, the 'weakness' they attack the game for the entire review. There's no team play. There's no shitty friends who are forced on you through the main acts. there's no guns. there's no swords. there's no werehog. they brought back classic 2d game play which people have asked for. they brought back and improved the colors game play which was enjoyed by most people. so what's the problem now? Honestly, after the shit sonics been dragged through, there's finally a decent game but these guys just cant swallow their pride and say 'do you know what? He's had some terrible games over recent years but this is great.'

I genuinely feel for sonic team, this is no way a 77 game. give me a fucking break.
I think people are saying in their head "this looks good... but its Sonic!... and Sonic is shitty!". You could tell that was happening in the GiantBomb Quick Look for example.

That being said, if Sonic team keeps pumping out games at this quality, they'll eventually get rewarded with good scores IMO. Also, I think having the game running at 30 may have hurt the score as I'm sure 100% of the reviews were done on the console versions.

I'd really like to see them go back to Sonic 4 and remake it using the Generations engine and sell it as a full game instead of going episodic. Would probably sell a ton of copies and probably review well.

AniHawk said:
77's a good score.

Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster got 81. Sonic team must feel like what's the point. lets just make Sonic 12 for the kids next year, get a nice bonus for next Christmas too and fuck all the effort of getting games out of the alpha stage.

AniHawk said:
77's a good score.

It would be a better score if game reviews weren't what they are. Either way this game deserves around an 80-85, were it not for some frame rate, minor camera issues and the fact that it's waaayyyy too easy to S rank in this game, it'd be a 9.

77 is still a good score though, and there should be more reviews coming in. At least I hope more than 15 outlet's chose to review Generations. Colors got like 50+ reviews.

btw, it's waayyyy too easy to S rank in this game.

Mistle

Bucket-o-roadkill said:
Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster got 81. Sonic team must feel like what's the point. lets just make Sonic 12 for the kids next year, get a nice bonus for next Christmas too and fuck all the effort of getting games out of the alpha stage.
I'm sure all the outpour of love from fans (including old fans) won't be unheard to Sonic Team, and they'll feel a great sense of accomplishment.

EchosMyron1 said:
btw, it's waayyyy too easy to S rank in this game.

Eh I'm happy with it. There's still score, best time, and best # of rings to shoot for in each stage.

Fuck the earlier 3D Sonic's ranking systems.

Mistle said:
I'm sure all the outpour of love from fans (including old fans) won't be unheard to Sonic Team, and they'll feel a great sense of accomplishment.

Well i hope so. I pray the sales will be good no matter what the reviews say (like sonic heroes) so they carry on with it.

I can almost hear Iizuka:*laughter* "see guys, this isnt how to make a triple A Sonic game! Quickly, get dimps on the phone! I've got some new character designs for Sonics friends that i want to add into Sonic 4 episode 2!!" *laughter*

AniHawk

Bucket-o-roadkill said:

sonic team should try to keep improving on what they have, not to please the critics, but to better themselves and their games. sesame street might actually be deserving of its praise too. it's being scored on its own merits and not versus sonic generations.

lastly, one of the lowest scores for generations is from gamestop, and unlike edge or eurogamer, they rate on the low reservations to high reservations scale, so i wouldn't worry too much about what they have to say.

Top Bottom