• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

qq more

Just got through Seaside Hill as Modern Sonic too. Didn't notice any glitches but man, the camera could need some work. Enjoyable level otherwise.

Yuripaw said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WnUlJHITk0

I just uploaded some footage from the PC version if anyone's curious. Sorry about the low quality, but I'm still trying to figure out how to get a decent compression with higher resolution.

The game runs great even on my PC I think. I've gotten occasional frame rate hiccups, but that's kinda common on my PC since it's not a beast. Overall I'm really happy with this version of the game!

What's your PC specs?

my Sonic Generations review

6.5/10

Gameplay:
Classic Sonic is more of tough reaching platform heights and floating platforms like Sonic 1 and way less of Sonic 2 and Sonic 3.
Someone hoping that it would be at the level of Sonic 3 or S&K will be disappointed.
The platforms are set at maximum jump height forcing the player to make perfect jumps with full running starts and jumping from the end of a platform to make jumps.
These problems were rarely the case in Genesis Sonic games where platforms heights were more clear and attainable.

Modern Sonic was boost boost boost boost Platform a bit on unclear platformables much like Unleashed.

Upgrade system:
Week!!!! Genesis Sonic doesn't get knocked on his butt for 2 seconds like here, so you need to buy an upgrade for Quick GetUp to get around that BUT these upgrades dont work in challenges, fuck you.
Shields are not part of the normal game, fuck why not? you gotta upgrade? LAME!!!!

Boss Fights were meh.
The Eggman Robot was closer Sonic Rush type of bosses than actual Genesis Bosses.
Again, the jump heights of platform plagued this boss fight.

Perfect Chaos remixed the broken highway as messy as in SOnic ADventure.
They should have used Egg Dragon from Sonic Adventure instead of Prefect Chaos.

Egg Dragon here is closer to the bosses type of Sonic Unleashed and was the best boss of the whole game and it worked will in this game.
No complaints about this one.

Final Time Eater Boss. The formula of Super Sonic end bosses in Modern Sonic games have gone to the dogs and this is full of suck.

Graphics:
Some stages looked clear some stages looked unclear, it made a confusing adaptation trying to figure out the platformables.

what can you platform on vs what you cannot platform on.
The clarity of platforming is confusing as hell, in Green Hill there is a platform in the background that looks reachable but is just part of the background whilist in Crisis City you have floating cars and rocks that you would not normally associate as platformable are in fact what you need to platform on.

Indoor and night-time darkness. This first became blatant in the indoor segment of Sky Sanctuary in Modern. You get indoors and then it's dark as fuck. Why? This is a Sonic game not a FPS.
Some challenges that had variant night time looks suffered from this too.

Speed Highway itches when going too fast and reach certain points.

Sound:
Inconsistent sounds in terms of Classic sounds and Modern sounds.
Like the transporters in Sky Sanctuary did not do that cool sound it did in S&k.
Music for the more modern stages were painful to listen too and thankfully you could unlock music tracks in challenged and change the music.
Sadly they decided for Hub music, they chose the violin and flutes, the violin versions of City Escape Hub while standing in front of it makes you want to break your TV set.

Story:
I don't play Sonic games for stories, I was happy that is was minimalistic and didn't distract too much.

Replay Value:
Challenges are cool, the motivation is to unlock the good music the replace the atrocious Modern Music from Post Sonic Adventure.

Is this the Sonic game that breaks the cycle? Not it isn't if you are 30 years old or older.
Is it better than recent Sonic games? fuck yes but not enough though

Game needed more homage to Classic Sonic stages and less City Escape, less Crisis City and less Rooftup Run clutter of city clutter poo

Mupod

plagiarize said:
PC guys, any of you tried running this in 3D yet? i loved how it looked in 3D in the console demo, but the framerate took numerous dumps running it that way.

I was planning to, but the day I was gonna order some 3D Vision glasses, NVidia announced a hardware revision for them. And then promptly forgot that they did, because they still aren't available. Oh well.

I could easily record some 60fps footage of the PC version, but as others have said youtube cuts it down to 30. Also I have the worst upload speed in the universe so it'd take ages to put up either way.

Man, I just can't see shit in this game. Everything moves too fast, again, and the result is I can't build up any momentum, because when Sonic is moving at full speed I'm guaranteed to run into an enemy, or fall of a ledge, or miss a jump. The game is totally trial and error for me, simply because at high speeds the levels and enemies just become an tangled mess of shiny graphics. I really hope I can get past this, but I'm having to strain my eyes so hard in a futile attempt to see what's coming next in the level, I don't know if it's worth the headache.

Bootaaay said:
Man, I just can't see shit in this game. Everything moves too fast, again, and the result is I can't build up any momentum, because when Sonic is moving at full speed I'm guaranteed to run into an enemy, or fall of a ledge, or miss a jump. The game is totally trial and error for me, simply because at high speeds the levels and enemies just become an tangled mess of shiny graphics. I really hope I can get past this, but I'm having to strain my eyes so hard in a futile attempt to see what's coming next in the level, I don't know if it's worth the headache.
PC or 360 version? I felt like that when playing the 360 version but not PC because of the framerate.

Bootaaay said:
So now Sonic is too fast, before he was too slow.
God dammit Sonic Team, can't you get anything right?

So I'm finally going to bed, but I'm going to give my impressions on the PC version so far.

I'm running an Nvidia GeForce GTX 460
4 gigs of DDR3 RAM
Intel i5 (quad core)
Windows 7

The game runs incredibly smooth around 60 fps on all stages save for one... Chemical Plant. I get some fps drops in huge spikes, but they're very brief, and don't pop up often.

I crashed once in City Escape as Classic Sonic and I'm really not sure what caused it. It was during the Doppleganger race.

Now on to opinions...

This is the best Sonic game I've played in a very, very long time. I'd say it's 9/10 stuff. I really like the Modern stages a bit more than the Classic ones, but they're still a really fun throwback.

I really haven't experienced any glitches or bugs at all, but I've only been playing the game for about 5 hours. It all feels incredibly polished and extremely enjoyable.

I have an incredibly long list of positive but I'll list my few negatives:

Classic's Spin-Attack is not only hard to pull off (you have to really be hitting JUST down, not diagonal, or any type of sliding. I'd chalk it up to by 360 controller... but it's unlikely since I've been playing S3&K on Steam and Spin-Attacking is easy). Spin-Attack is also...pretty useless and slows you down a lot.

While most of the boss battles have been fun so far...
the Shadow one was sort of awful, and this isn't because I dislike Shadow (I actually thought he was neat in SA2... so the atmosphere for the boss battle was great!), it was because the conditions for 'beating him' are described very vaguely. It was pretty much just as helpful as saying "Chase the pink thing! Got two? Now.... Go win!".

Sonic appears to have a slight delay in reaction from what I've played. Not sure if it's the game or the logitech controller I've got hooked to my PC. Either way I flub a lot of jumps that way.

Link1110

I'm lovInng the game, and it's inspired me to play some of the modern.sonic games I missed, those being heroes, unleashed, and colors. Which would gaf recommend if I'm liking the modern stages in this he a ton more than I expected to? I'm leaning toward unleashed solely because I'm too lazy to hook up my wii, but If colors is a ton better, I'll just hook it up.

IceDoesntHelp said:
Whats with the swearing?

Sorry, did you just call City Escape and Rooftop Run...poo?
Those are arguably the best levels from any 3D game.
the platforming is cluttered with junk allover the place graphically WTF can you jump onto? I don't know the background is so busy being a real city that it visually clutter my eyes compared to more classic looking stages.

The Classic Sonic portion on Roodtop Run with the Clock Tower was full of WTF is this shit?

gutter_trash said:
the platforming is cluttered with junk allover the place graphically WTF can you jump onto? I don't know the background is so busy being a real city that it visually clutter my eyes compared to more classic looking stages.

The Classic Sonic portion on Roodtop Run with the Clock Tower was full of WTF is this shit?
I'll get back to you on that when I've played the game.

Lucentto

Banned
Link1110 said:
I'm lovInng the game, and it's inspired me to play some of the modern.sonic games I missed, those being heroes, unleashed, and colors. Which would gaf recommend if I'm liking the modern stages in this he a ton more than I expected to? I'm leaning toward unleashed solely because I'm too lazy to hook up my wii, but If colors is a ton better, I'll just hook it up.
Colors. Very similar to the modern stages.

Link1110 said:
I would suggest you hook up your wii, for colours that is you can go without the GC heroes

Finaika

Does anyone know if the PS3 version is running at native 1080p or just upscaled?

Also at what resolution does the console version seems to be at?

Nocturnowl said:
I would suggest you hook up your wii, for colours that is you can go without the GC heroes
I really, really need to play Colours...REALLY BADLY!
But, alas...I am poor.
gutter_trash said:
what???
you quoting me but you haven't played the game?
Not yet, purchasing it today. Whenever Paypal gives me my damn money. *shakesfist*
I just didn't get how anyone could call City Escape and Rooftop Run "poo" ):

IceDoesntHelp said:
I really, really need to play Colours...REALLY BADLY!
But, alas...I am poor.

Not yet, purchasing it today. Whenever Paypal gives me my damn money. *shakesfist*
I just didn't get how anyone could call City Escape and Rooftop Run "poo" ):
easy,
your eyes bleed in these clutter stages

Old Classic looking stages are designed in a way that makes it clear what you can jump onto

these Modern City stages are full of visual clutter make your platforming a pain when judging what is platformable

Crisis City's floating cars and rocks are total WTF??? I can jump on that or not?

gutter_trash said:
easy,

Old Classic looking stages are designed in a way that makes it clear what you can jump onto

these Modern City stages are full of visual clutter make your platforming a pain when judging what is platformable

Crisis City's floating cars and rocks are total WTF??? I can jump on that or not?
I shall see later on today.
Also, need a confirmation on this, is there motion blur? If so, can I turn that shit off?

Link1110

gutter_trash said:
easy,

I had one problem with that. In crisis city classic, near the end a huge platform flies In the foreground. I died because I thought it was going to Push me off the platform I was on.

infinityBCRT said:
PC or 360 version? I felt like that when playing the 360 version but not PC because of the framerate.

PS3 version. Didn't realise the PC version ran at a higher frame-rate...hell, didn't even realise there was a PC version, lol.

IceDoesntHelp said:
So now Sonic is too fast, before he was too slow.
God dammit Sonic Team, can't you get anything right?

Eh, Sonic felt a little sluggish in Sonic 4, in terms of the mid-air movement, but for me Sonic has consistently been too fast since about 1998. It's great that with Generations Sonic Team have focused on more momentum based gameplay, but with such a small margin for mistakes at such high speeds, it simply becomes a matter of trial and error. At least for me.

Link1110 said:

You'll want to play Colors and Unleashed (360 or PS3, stay away from the Wii/PS2 version.)

It's pretty funny to me now how many folks are saying they like the modern stages now when in 2008 I was saying how awesome Unleashed was and the response I usually got was "Sonic game? Psh, like I'd play that."

Cmagus

Id say try Sonic Unleashed I don't find it nearly as bad as people make it out to be.The on foot stuff is pretty much like those in Generations and they are really good and the werehog stuff as much as people bitch really isn't that bad it's pretty decent platforming stages not amazing but not bad either. Colours I haven't played yet so I can't say.

Cmagus said:
Id say try Sonic Unleashed I don't find it nearly as bad as people make it out to be.The on foot stuff is pretty much like those in Generations and they are really good and the werehog stuff as much as people bitch really isn't that bad it's pretty decent platforming stages not amazing but not bad either. Colours I haven't played yet so I can't say.
This man is right.

ZeroGravity

The modern Sonic stages in this game are night and day compared with Unleashed and Colors, mostly because the level design is actually good this time around, with a lot of platforming in place of the endless amount of instant-kill bullshit and boost-to-win sections featured in those games. Unleashed was absolute, unenjoyable hell.

qq more

Link1110 said:
Sonic Heroes is a terrible game, skip it.

Sonic Unleashed is meh, mainly because you're playing as the werehog most of the times. I honestly tried to have fun, but it just bores me. The day stages were good but they barely make up much of the playtime.

Sonic Colors is pretty much what Unleashed should of have been. It's an excellent platformer with no stupid gimmicks that are just there to pad the playtime (unlike Unleashed's werehog shit)

EDIT: By the way, does anyone have any idea how to increase the Skills capacity? Or does it stay 100 at maximum forever?

qq more said:
Sonic Unleashed is meh, mainly because you're playing as the werehog most of the times. I honestly tried to have fun, but it just bores me. The day stages were good but they barely make up much of the playtime.
Unless you play it on the Wii, right? There's either like one more night level or there are teh exact same amount of night and day levels, and there's no '06 city bullshit present in the Wii version either.

qq more

IceDoesntHelp said:
Unless you play it on the Wii, right? There's either like one more night level or they are the exact same, and there's no '06 city bullshit present in the Wii version either.
The night stages in the 360/PS3 version took me at least 20 or so minutes. Meanwhile the Day stages probably took me around 2-4 minutes.

Bootaaay said:
Eh, Sonic felt a little sluggish in Sonic 4, in terms of the mid-air movement, but for me Sonic has consistently been too fast since about 1998. It's great that with Generations Sonic Team have focused on more momentum based gameplay, but with such a small margin for mistakes at such high speeds, it simply becomes a matter of trial and error. At least for me.

What tha? As it stands, there is no need for momentum with all the boost pads and whatnot... So, it's not based on momentum.

I do agree about the speed forcing trial and error.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
ZeroGravity said:
The modern Sonic stages in this game are night and day compared with Unleashed and Colors, mostly because the level design is actually good this time around, with a lot of platforming in place of the endless amount of instant-kill bullshit and boost-to-win sections featured in those games. Unleashed was absolute, unenjoyable hell.
Really? I thought most of the stages in Unleashed were well designed and fun to play (though a few, such as Adabat) were frustrating.

The Wii version, however, was complete shit.

qq more said:
The night stages in the 360/PS3 version took me at least 20 or so minutes. Meanwhile the Day stages probably took me around 2-4 minutes.
But isn't there less levels in the Wii version? I kind of screwed up what I was trying to say.
Night stages took me 15 minutes or so, day stages probably 2-6 minutes, but I also LOVED to replay the day stages.

qq more

IceDoesntHelp said:
But isn't there less levels in the Wii version? I kind of screwed up what I was trying to say.
Night stages took me 15 minutes or so, day stages probably 2-6 minutes, but I also LOVED to replay the day stages.
Oh, I misread you. My mistake.

Also, in the Wii version, you're forced to do THREE acts of both day and night stages. Worse part is that the day stages... act 2 and 3 were mission acts (which means they were much shorter than Act 1). Meanwhile Act 2 and 3s of the werehog stages took as long as Act 1. :(

Although it's been a while since I last tried the Wii version. I just remember getting very bored with the werehog acts after a while. The day stages though, I have to agree, they were very fun and replayable. Dragon Road was my favorite out of the levels I've played.

I agree about the clutter, honestly.

There have been situations where I thought I could jump on something and I couldn't or was surprised to find that I could jump on something.

Platformers should be sight-readable. I think the developers got a little over-enthusiastic at times with all the things they could add.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Night stages in the Wii version was like 70% of the content, and you spent about 85% of playtime in them.

Day stages were pretty decent I thought. A bit sparse but fun in an arcadey sense. Wii version got screwed out of Empire City completely, and Mazuri as well except for the boss.

Basically just download a 100% save file and just play the daytime bits if you want to play that version. If you do want to beat it yourself, I would advise against the Wiimote controls, they were not good.

TheCongressman1 said:
What tha? As it stands, there is no need for momentum with all the boost pads and whatnot... So, it's not based on momentum.

Granted, momentum is easily obtained thanks to all the boosts littered throughout the levels, but as someone else pointed out above, the margin for error in hitting the highest jumps is pretty slim at top speeds. Sure, I can attain the momentum needed to get onto the top level easily enough, but without trial and error I'll probably miss the jump in the fist place. It's less of a challenge to gain the momentum than it is to use it, if that makes sense?

qq more said:
Oh, I misread you. My mistake.

Also, in the Wii version, you're forced to do THREE acts of both day and night stages. Worse part is that the day stages... act 2 and 3 were mission acts (which means they were much shorter than Act 1). Meanwhile Act 2 and 3s of the werehog stages took as long as Act 1. :(

Although it's been a while since I last tried the Wii version. I just remember getting very bored with the werehog acts after a while. The day stages though, I have to agree, they were very fun and replayable. Dragon Road was my favorite out of the levels I've played.
God dammit, I don't remember any of that. All I know is I made it to the final boss and never beat it. Stupid Eggman Land.
Andrex said:
Night stages in the Wii version was like 70% of the content, and you spent about 85% of playtime in them.
Really? Then why did it get the best reviews :/
Guess cause you didn't have to talk to people and shit.

qq more

IceDoesntHelp said:
Sonic games tends to get better reviews on Nintendo systems for some reason. Sonic 4 Wii has a much higher score than its 360/PS3 counterparts despite them being the same exact games.

(But I still don't understand how Sonic 4 Wii and Sonic Colors DS scored higher than Sonic Colors Wii... what the fuck?)

Not enjoying it as much as I did with Colours only good thing is they got Sonic looking right with Classic Sonic and missing double jump and wall kicks

always hated jump dash

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
IceDoesntHelp said:

Less people played the Wii version. Fewer reviews = higher score, almost always.

This goes for Colors DS as well.

gutter_trash said:
my Sonic Generations review

6.5/10

Gameplay:
Classic Sonic is more of tough reaching platform heights and floating platforms like Sonic 1 and way less of Sonic 2 and Sonic 3.
Someone hoping that it would be at the level of Sonic 3 or S&K will be disappointed.
The platforms are set at maximum jump height forcing the player to make perfect jumps with full running starts and jumping from the end of a platform to make jumps.
These problems were rarely the case in Genesis Sonic games where platforms heights were more clear and attainable.

Modern Sonic was boost boost boost boost Platform a bit on unclear platformables much like Unleashed.

Upgrade system:
Week!!!! Genesis Sonic doesn't get knocked on his butt for 2 seconds like here, so you need to buy an upgrade for Quick GetUp to get around that BUT these upgrades dont work in challenges, fuck you.
Shields are not part of the normal game, fuck why not? you gotta upgrade? LAME!!!!

Boss Fights were meh.
The Eggman Robot was closer Sonic Rush type of bosses than actual Genesis Bosses.
Again, the jump heights of platform plagued this boss fight.

Perfect Chaos remixed the broken highway as messy as in SOnic ADventure.
They should have used Egg Dragon from Sonic Adventure instead of Prefect Chaos.

Egg Dragon here is closer to the bosses type of Sonic Unleashed and was the best boss of the whole game and it worked will in this game.
No complaints about this one.

Final Time Eater Boss. The formula of Super Sonic end bosses in Modern Sonic games have gone to the dogs and this is full of suck.

Graphics:
Some stages looked clear some stages looked unclear, it made a confusing adaptation trying to figure out the platformables.

what can you platform on vs what you cannot platform on.
The clarity of platforming is confusing as hell, in Green Hill there is a platform in the background that looks reachable but is just part of the background whilist in Crisis City you have floating cars and rocks that you would not normally associate as platformable are in fact what you need to platform on.

Indoor and night-time darkness. This first became blatant in the indoor segment of Sky Sanctuary in Modern. You get indoors and then it's dark as fuck. Why? This is a Sonic game not a FPS.
Some challenges that had variant night time looks suffered from this too.

Speed Highway itches when going too fast and reach certain points.

Sound:
Inconsistent sounds in terms of Classic sounds and Modern sounds.
Like the transporters in Sky Sanctuary did not do that cool sound it did in S&k.
Music for the more modern stages were painful to listen too and thankfully you could unlock music tracks in challenged and change the music.
Sadly they decided for Hub music, they chose the violin and flutes, the violin versions of City Escape Hub while standing in front of it makes you want to break your TV set.

Story:
I don't play Sonic games for stories, I was happy that is was minimalistic and didn't distract too much.

Replay Value:
Challenges are cool, the motivation is to unlock the good music the replace the atrocious Modern Music from Post Sonic Adventure.

Is this the Sonic game that breaks the cycle? Not it isn't if you are 30 years old or older.
Is it better than recent Sonic games? fuck yes but not enough though

Game needed more homage to Classic Sonic stages and less City Escape, less Crisis City and less Rooftup Run clutter of city clutter poo

You're username suits the review. Overall it sounds like you were not up too the learning curve the game throws at you. Complaining about the Jump hight for classic sonic??? Sonic 3 and Knuckles was super easy! I had a friend the other day complaining about how hard sonic 1 was compared to the others ( it was his first time playing it too )

Modern sonic boost boost boost? Yeah thats the point of his style of gameplay! Drifting makes the control much much easier but the goal of sonic games is to get to the end of the level in the least amount of time possible. Most people I have seen won't even drift and keep running into objects cause they have not gotten used to the speed of the game. It takes a while if you are not used to faster games.

Horrible review. You don't even go into the work and detail they put into the design of the levels from a art perspective, or all the bonus art and remixed music in the game. This game provides a ton of content! Even the ability to switch music of the levels to that of past games.

a 6.5? Get out of here...

The whole explication you gave about clutter is horrible, and should provide visual pictures as to what items or structures you couldn't identify as objects sonic would react with. If anything Seaside hill for Modern sonic has a few issues with him easily running off the level if you were moving too fast and did not know how the level would change ahead of you, and Classic had his rolling issue ( not being able to move slightly and press down to roll and hit enemies )

I am convinced people struggle with modern sonic because he is too fast, you won't master everything the first time. HELL I think the game is too easy awarding S rank so easily when there was many times I fell off platforms or ran into enemies. ( I didn't die but it messed up my time and ring count)

reminds me of the people who complain about ninja gaiden and say its horrible, but they can't even finish the first few levels...

Bootaaay said:
Granted, momentum is easily obtained thanks to all the boosts littered throughout the levels, but as someone else pointed out above, the margin for error in hitting the highest jumps is pretty slim at top speeds. Sure, I can attain the momentum needed to get onto the top level easily enough, but without trial and error I'll probably miss the jump in the fist place. It's less of a challenge to gain the momentum than it is to use it, if that makes sense?

Are we talking Classic or Modern? With modern, momentum seems to play no part. Getting to areas only depends on whether or not you press a button at the right time.

TheCongressman1 said:
Are we talking Classic or Modern? With modern, momentum seems to play no part. Getting to areas only depends on whether or not you press a button at the right time.

Classic, as you said, modern is simply a matter of timing. I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough though, just need to put some more time in.

Cmagus

I hope Sega continues to do something with classic Sonic. I would be more than happy to have downloadable 2D sonic games in this style.

Top Bottom