• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Zomba13

Suzuki Yu said:
i can't believe how Awesome this game really is! i just finished my first play through all the genesis era main stages... the layout in both Sky Sanctuary acts are just insane!

i encountered an awful glitch though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeOXWzpqXyQ&feature=channel_video_title
XD That happened to me too one on of my GHZ run throughs. Would have recorded it with fraps but I couldn't be bothered and was having to much fun with the game (and laughing at the glitch).

Teknoman

Screenshot time:

C9A538384CB1EA42DDD6C0C84360D422C47AB4D2

EF212BD68E3B9B5759166836815A33E266EE990C

5651B238E8AF377A656B4A4BF49C5F6347BC0F20

65331A19492E45B796EAB000E04A4E1D32D3F20A

Firestorm

Started playing today.

Green Hill Zone Act 1: eh
Green Hill Zone Act 2: eh
Chemical Plant Act 1: OMG :O
Chemical Plant Act 2: eh
Sky Sanctuary Act 1: OMG :O
Sky Sanctuary Act 2: eh

Also what the hell at this video compression o_O

Trick Mastery is hilarious to watch and does crazy combos. I did 13 tricks over the clocktower top in Spagonia, and I didn't have it timed perfectly either.

I won't give up my Boost Up for it, but it's worth messing with to see once. Just find a long trick spot, and hold a direction. Watch Sonic freak out.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Fuck you vector, fuck you and your god damn music homing attack thing. "Oh, it will be easy", I said an hour ago. I GIVE UP. You win vector, you win. You once again prove you are in fact my most hated character in the entire series.

Veal

Drkirby said:
I hope the game sells well enough on the PC to justify releasing future multi-plat games. Wonder if Sega has anther game planed for the engine anytime soon. They usually take 1 or 2 years per game.
Sega should totally get Devils Details to port Virtua Fighter: Final Showdown to PC. These guys did a really good job on this port! Just like Sumo before them.

My current computer (2.2ghz dual core processor) can't play this very well even on low but I'm hoping to get a quad core (possibly i5) processor during Black Friday sales.

Even with the slowdowns I was experiencing though I can already tell it's going to be a fun game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Teknoman said:
Screenshot time:

sonic sitting on floor/[IMG][/QUOTE]
So cuuuuute.

I love how Classic Sonic is clearly underwhelmed by everyone he meets from the future if you restore the stages with him.

[quote=QisTopTier]Dragoon fight was the best fight in the game :D[/quote]
Better than fighting it while as the Werehog. I wish the BGM packed as much punch as the original did, however.

Firestorm said:
Started playing today.

Green Hill Zone Act 1: eh
Green Hill Zone Act 2: eh
Chemical Plant Act 1: OMG :O
Chemical Plant Act 2: eh
Sky Sanctuary Act 1: OMG :O
Sky Sanctuary Act 2: eh

Also what the hell at this video compression o_O
yep, yep, and yep

that compression was pretty startling.

Did it amuse anyone else, in a tragic way, that (ending spoilers)
the reason Sonic got his shitty homing attack in later games is because shitty Sonic taught it to him?

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
ShockingAlberto said:
the reason Sonic got his shitty homing attack in later games is because shitty Sonic taught it to him?

They way they are trying to tie the stories together is amusing

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ShockingAlberto said:
It amuses me even more that if you get all the Red Rings in Classic Planet Wisp, you can unlock the Homing Attack skill for Classic Sonic. Though to be fair, Classic Homing Attack makes accessing other paths a little easier.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Wow the PC SKU is 8 gigs. Does anyone know if I can erase some unneeded files? I'm assuming it's this large because of all the different languages...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, while Perfect Choas was a bit iffy, Egg Dragon is just buggy. His attack order will be off at times, making attacks undodgeable (Transfer from his 3D to 2D mode), there are times when the Wall Jump just stops working, or doesn't allow you to do the final leap, and the upper boost ring things don't get you close enough to attack most of the time. I am too annoyed from Vector before, I'll finish this up tommrow. Is it like this for the console versions?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
FlyinJ said:
Wow the PC SKU is 8 gigs. Does anyone know if I can erase some unneeded files? I'm assuming it's this large because of all the different languages...
No, most of it is needed. The extra 5 Language tracks take up half a gig.

Drkirby said:
Ok, while Perfect Choas was a bit iffy, Egg Dragon is just buggy. His attack order will be off at times, making attacks undodgeable (Transfer from his 3D to 2D mode), there are times when the Wall Jump just stops working, or doesn't allow you to do the final leap, and the upper boost ring things don't get you close enough to attack most of the time. I am too annoyed from Vector before, I'll finish this up tommrow. Is it like this for the console versions?
Yeah, I had the same problems with the Egg Dragoon

He was very fond of using the skewer attack during the transition, which could not be jumped over.

Zomba13

Drkirby said:
Fuck you vector, fuck you and your god damn music homing attack thing. "Oh, it will be easy", I said an hour ago. I GIVE UP. You win vector, you win. You once again prove you are in fact my most hated character in the entire series.
That'll change when the Big the Cat fishing Challenge DLC gets added.

ShockingAlberto said:
Yeah, I had the same problems with the Egg Dragoon

He was very fond of using the skewer attack during the transition, which could not be jumped over.

He always canceled his attacks right before the transition for me.

Drkirby said:

I never had Egg Dragoon "break" on me specifically. Wall-jump's never broken, his attack order's never broken, and so on.

Egg Dragoon's just shitty for how twitchy it demands you be. You are often given less than a second to react to your lock-on target popping before he dodges out of the way or moves out of range.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The Xtortionist said:
He always canceled his attacks right before the transition for me.
Same. I didn't really have a problem with the fight in the PS3 version. You just have to react a little quickly, I guess.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Zomba13 said:
That'll change when the Big the Cat fishing Challenge DLC gets added.
Nope, Big is pretty low, but he has something likable about him. It may just be him being the color blue. Vector is an unlikable asshole though.

Mistle

Just played planet wisp. while not as good as the original in level design, i still felt it was awesome! not sure why so many complaints. i guess spike could be really frustrating if you'd never played colours before.
only complaint is that the classic stage focus waaaaayyy to much inside the structure. needed more greenery. thankfully the modern stage has heaps of it, and looks amazing.

also, the bosses have been great so far. very cinematic to play, even if they're not technically anything amazing gameplay-wise. i'm disagreeing with a lot of the common complaints i have seen in this thread. maybe i am just easy to please? lol

Only problem I had with Planet Wisp is that it (the modern stage in particular) felt a little too long. Towards the end it seems to drag a little and get a bit samey as you're just going round and up without much sense of progression. Not bad, just coulda been tightened up a little.

RagnarokX

Drkirby said:
You haven't played a lot of Sonic games if you think Vector's the worst. Heck, amongst the Chaotix alone Charmy is definitely the worst. As a playable platforming character Vector wouldn't be half bad without the terrible team mechanics. From Knuckles Chaotix he has the largest hit box when he attacks, an air dash, and can climb walls.

RagnarokX

Mistle said:
Just played planet wisp. while not as good as the original in level design, i still felt it was awesome! not sure why so many complaints. i guess spike could be really frustrating if you'd never played colours before.
only complaint is that the classic stage focus waaaaayyy to much inside the structure. needed more greenery. thankfully the modern stage has heaps of it, and looks amazing.

also, the bosses have been great so far. very cinematic to play, even if they're not technically anything amazing gameplay-wise. i'm disagreeing with a lot of the common complaints i have seen in this thread. maybe i am just easy to please? lol
It's not frustrating, it's not fun at all. The overabundance of spike "puzzles" replaces the fun platforming. Spike was better used in Sonic Colors, it wasn't used well here at all. Heck, even Colors didn't overuse wisps this much.

The bosses are way too easy or poorly designed. The first 2 are the best bosses in the game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, after going back and playing Colours' version of Planet Wisp, I don't really like how Spikes were implemented in Generations (mostly with the switches; I think using Spikes to get around the level via the ceilings and structure sides is the fundamental aspect of that Wisp). Rocket was alright; I had no problem with its implementation in Modern Sonic's version of the level. It kind of got to a point where I was looking at the top right-hand corner for "Colour Bonus" to show up, lol. I guess the minipuzzles were part of what made it feel lengthy.

I do agree that Classic Sonic's version needed more lush greenery and platforming while balancing how much the Wisps were used. That what I envision when I think "Planet Wisp".

I like the level's presentation a lot. Music is great, visuals are great (so nice to see Planet Wisp in HD)... but I take issue with some of the level's design and execution. I might go back and play Generations' and Colours' versions of Planet Wisp back-to-back later tomorrow to narrow down what I like/dislike.

Drkirby said:

I share this sentiment.

HOLY SHIT. Does anyone have any tips for that challenge?

RobbieNick said:
Egg Dragoon on hard is @#$'in tough!

It was the only boss that felt satisfying.

Metal, Shadow, Silver, and Perfect Chaos were still fun though. Death Egg Robo and Dragoon on normal were merely adequate. Final boss was flaming dog shit.

And just think, they could have reimagined the S3&K ending sequence. Fight Eggman's big ass robot with Malicious Fingers in the background, then go to the Doomsday.

Damn it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
When I think about it, I would have liked either Sweet Mountain or Aquarium Park (but Seaside Hill wasn't too bad of an aqua level on Classic Sonic's side; it was really darn pretty). Anything to use Drill.

The Xtortionist said:
It was the only boss that felt satisfying.

Metal, Shadow, Silver, and Perfect Chaos were still fun though. Death Egg Robo and Dragoon on normal were merely adequate. Final boss was flaming dog shit.

And just think, they could have reimagined the S3&K ending sequence. Fight Eggman's big ass robot with Malicious Fingers in the background, then go to the Doomsday.

Damn it.
These lofty expectations were somewhere in the back of my mind. What you described is what I wanted as a grand finale in an ideal situation... not... what we got.
Still can't get over how dreadful that final boss was. I don't even know if I'm going to go for the "You Can't Touch This" trophy for that one because I disliked it so much.

RawkHawk2010 said:
HOLY SHIT. Does anyone have any tips for that challenge?
This challenge is a pain in the neck, and it takes some practice. Stay close to him and homing attack his notes. If they're too high, look for higher ground and homing attack them. I don't think he changes his note pattern at all. Good luck. It's difficult, I know. :/

Dark Schala said:
These lofty expectations were somewhere in the back of my mind. What you described is what I wanted as a grand finale in an ideal situation... not... what we got.
Still can't get over how dreadful that final boss was. I don't even know if I'm going to go for the "You Can't Touch This" trophy for that one because I disliked it so much.

You'd think they would have had some kind of Project Chaos acknowledgement in the game. Pulling that track out of nowhere for the final boss would have cemented this game was one of the greatest of all time.

Mistle said:
o_O is this a skill?

Yeah it is, as The Xtortionist said you get it by obtaining all Red Rings in Planet Wisp Act 1. It costs the full 100 skill points to use, but it's so, so awesome.

Regarding the choice of Planet Wisp as a stage: I loved that they used it, it was my favorite stage in Colors, period. I just the wish the stage itself had been a bit better, and the music didn't suck for Modern Sonic.

Crisis City is awesome! I'd hardly believe the inspiration was taken from anything to do with Sonic 06. The platforming in this level was great, really starting to ratchet it up. Also Classic City Escape is my favorite classic level atm. This game is awesome. I haven't done many of the challenges yet, mostly just the ones mandatory for getting boss keys. But most of those have been cool too. Love this game.

Ogni-XR21

Great game, loving it thus far! And the collectors edition is really nice too. Not that I'm someone to have a Sonic(s) figurine standing around in my living room but really nice to have.

Mistle said:
Actually I think I remember that poll. The even the favourite stage one, now that I think about it.

I think the lesson learnt is to take SEGA polls very seriously.

I can't believe they just used some random poll to decide the levels used in Generations - without even saying what it was for O_O

who the fuck voted for Crisis City anyway? Sky Sanctuary? Really?

Phonomezer said:
I can't believe they just used some random poll to decide the levels used in Generations - without even saying what it was for O_O

who the fuck voted for Crisis City anyway? Sky Sanctuary? Really?

The poll wasn't 100% definitive.

Top Bottom