• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Berordn

ShadiWulf said:
That's what Omochao has always done I thought? I turned him/her off before even starting the game.
In Sonic Adventure 2 he'd stay out of your way until you died, and then he'd only give you a tip on the attack that killed you.

OmnipotentO said:
I will trust you Gaf. I will trust you.

Oh geez. I wouldn't do that.

Edit: PC users! What kinds of graphic options are available? I have i5 core duo, and intel 3000 video. From what I hear, there are some hiccups with that, but it's playable, right?

I'm not a stickler for HD, so I don't mind turning the quality down. I just want to be in it for the mods.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You guys. I keep singing along to the vocal themes (not just the ones in the levels, but the unlockables)... especially
Super Sonic Racing and Sonic Boom

This game just makes me feel really happy (just like Colours did--I started humming the stage tunes in that game after a while). Discounting the ridiculous final boss with its ridiculous mechanics (and
the friends repeating dialogue throughout the battle
), I had lots of fun with the main game, and am having quite a bit of fun trying to tie up loose ends.

I guess I'll write up some final impressions when I finish getting some Red Rings.

Grisby

Game is really fun. My sonic skills suck though. On these later stages I keep slowing down or getting hit every few steps.

Lopson

Neo Member
Gah, can't find all the red rings in Modern Speed Highway. I tell you, they hid these things in the strangest of places...

Holy shit @ that Seaside Hill run. 0_0

I usually babysit my neighbor's kid from time to time, and throughout most of yesterday, he was completely enamored with the Classic segments when I let him play my copy yesterday. (As far as I know, his only experience with the series has been Shadow, Sonic 06 and Unleashed Wii) Talking to his mother today, it turns out she took him to Gamestop and he traded the above games in for a copy of Mega Collection Plus because he wanted to play the originals. :D

Verve

Playing on PC (Intel Core i5-2500 Quad 3,3GHz, NVidia GTX560 Ti OC - running very well, though one small slowdown in chemical plant so far) with the 360 controller.

Haven't had so much fun with a game for years! Just how fantastic is Speed Highway?

Equally enjoying old and new Sonic, which kind of surprises me. Having played Sonic games only on my Game Cube before, I expected to find old sonic a little boring - not the case at all.

Some of the missions are not that great (digging for gold with knuckles) but overall having a great time. The sense of speed is just perfect most of the times.

Getting S ranks is a little too easy though. I'm always comparing to SA2 (loved the running part, thought the shooting was a nice distraction once in a while, hated finding emeralds) and recall it being much more challenging in that regard. It doesn't really matter if I run into an enemy or miss the fastest path 2 times in a run - I always seem to get this "perfect bonus" at the end.

Couldn't be bothered to care too much about the red rings so far and don't really see the need to unlock any skills. Like the way the game plays right now, don't miss any ability.

Very happy with my purchase so far :)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
DimmuBurgerKing said:
I caught myself humming City Escape at work today. The game (and the music) is crazy addictive. Love it, love it, love it.
lol, I found myself singing that in the lab the other day. It's really catchy!

Lopson said:
Gah, can't find all the red rings in Modern Speed Highway. I tell you, they hid these things in the strangest of places...
Here are the ones I have so far:

1) Near the beginning of the stage: jump and use the boost to land on a railing in the sky for this one.

2) Requires lightspeed dash. After the first building, go up the floating platforms and stick to the left side. Go through the rainbow ring, do tricks to get to the red hoop and lightspeed dash a row of rings to get it.

3) When racing down the building, there's a one hiding behind some pillars just a bit to the right-hand side.

4) Soon after getting onto the highway (with the turns), look carefully after taking your first turn that there's a ramp. Boost to jog down the highway until you see boosters and blue containers. Don't break the blue containers, but turn, left to a booster and a catwalk. Jump and get the red ring.

I keep forgetting to get the fifth one (the one on the main route, where you bust through the blue containers that I told you to avoid for the fourth ring). It's floating in the air with rainbow rings, so you have to jump for it.

Hope that helps.

Verve said:
I always seem to get this "perfect bonus" at the end.
Perfect Bonus boosts you up a rank if you don't die during an act. It's the only way to get an S-rank in this game.

qq more

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Holy shit @ that Seaside Hill run. 0_0

I usually babysit my neighbor's kid from time to time, and throughout most of yesterday, he was completely enamored with the Classic segments when I let him play my copy yesterday. (As far as I know, his only experience with the series has been Shadow, Sonic 06 and Unleashed Wii) Talking to his mother today, it turns out she took him to Gamestop and he traded the above games in for a copy of Mega Collection Plus because he wanted to play the originals. :D
That...

That is awesome!

Just beat the game, final boss is shit but the overall game package is really good, you can tell this was a risk for them and they spent less money making cut scenes, story is also a lot more simple then say unleashed and colours.

TheCongressman1 said:

Edit: PC users! What kinds of graphic options are available? I have i5 core duo, and intel 3000 video. From what I hear, there are some hiccups with that, but it's playable, right?

I'm not a stickler for HD, so I don't mind turning the quality down. I just want to be in it for the mods.
anti anayzing on/off
shadows high/low
reflections high/low
and of course resolution.

bbdude

TheCongressman1 said:

wrgo01.jpg

Edit: Unplayable on this laptop, but yours might fare better

Thanks guys! I have a feelings it will run decently, but I'll wait for a demo.

I just can't wait to see the mods for this! I think the best thing Sega has done for Sonic in quite a while is releasing it on PC.

the game crashes as soon as it tries to save after I beat GHZ the first time as Modern Sonic
...what do I do?

well, I verified the cache and now it's downloading a huge file

Lijik

Does Sonic Generations PC support the Saturn controller? If not could i jerry rig it with xpadder and not have to leave out inputs due to lack of buttons?

I always liked using that for the pc ports of adventure and heroes.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'll give the saturn pad a try later. Should work.

Hopefully the fix the issues with the Online stuff, been wanting to give those things a spin.

Lijik said:
Does Sonic Generations PC support the Saturn controller? If not could i jerry rig it with xpadder and not have to leave out inputs due to lack of buttons?

I always liked using that for the pc ports of adventure and heroes.

You could do it if you didn't assign buttons to drifting, since you'd need the lane change buttons.

Edit: I forgot the Saturn had shoulder buttons. Sure, since the game doesn't accept right stick input, and can move with digital controls, it should be fine.

Kulock said:
You could do it if you didn't assign buttons to drifting, since you'd need the lane change buttons.

Edit: I forgot the Saturn had shoulder buttons. Sure, since the game doesn't accept right stick input, and can move with digital controls, it should be fine.

I know the 360 version lets you control Sonic, even during 3D sections, with the d-pad. So it should be just fine.

qq more

QisTopTier said:
What!? Modern Crisis city is the best level in the game D: It has the perfect amount of boosting and split reaction jumps
It was really lousy the first time. I kept somehow overshooting my jumps (despite I was using the homing attack) and the first set of rings placement was dickish. And there was this one part where I get by the same enemy shooting fire at me every time... It wasn't Sonic 06-bad, it was just poorly designed until the 2D parts kicks in.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
qq more said:
It was really lousy the first time. I kept somehow overshooting my jumps (despite I was using the homing attack) and the first set of rings placement was dickish. And there was this one part where I get by the same enemy shooting fire at me every time... It wasn't Sonic 06-bad, it was just poorly designed until the 2D parts kicks in.
Wait the enemies can shoot fire? lol I didn't know that XD

Boogdud

Every console game should get a port like this to the PC. Not only does it run fantastic and support controllers, but I was not expecting to be able to choose the language. I'd never heard sonic in Japanese, quite fun. Well done.

Yeah, I'm not a particular fan of Crisis City Modern, but I like Classic except for one or two jumps during the floating debris sequence.

I like how when you run up that one tower back and forth, it curves around like a tower in an old sprite game. And the tease with the sign is great.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
qq more said:
I don't exactly remember, but every time I'm at that very spot, I get hit no matter what I do.
the spot where you spring up the side of a building? I got hit the first time by something wasnt sure what. You just gotta attack the second guy SUPER FAST after the first. The enemies never attack though unless they lock onto you for a short bit. And thats like the one time they get too.

man, I haven't played a Sonic game in a very long time, especially not a modern one. I feel like I don't know how to control modern Sonic at all :x

I keep crashing into walls, missing jumps and outright not knowing what I'm doing. The last modern Sonic game I played was Sonic Heroes, and this one makes it seem like Sonic is way out of control compared to that.

Just something I have to get used to. The game is great now that I fixed the crashing during saving.

Finally obtained all the red rings and after that I feel as if City Escape is in fact my least favorite stage for modern Sonic, possibly because of the rings. Still it was worth it for the ultimate red ring based reward, the final unlockable!
"I'M GONNA REACH FOR THE STAAAAAARS!"

qq more

QisTopTier said:
the spot where you spring up the side of a building? I got hit the first time by something wasnt sure what. You just gotta attack the second guy SUPER FAST after the first. The enemies never attack though unless they lock onto you for a short bit. And thats like the one time they get too.
Ah. Thanks. I'll try the next time I play that level.

IceDoesntHelp said:
BAH, I tried to get on that helicopter so many times, but failed each and every time D:
The trick is to just run until it moves above sonic then jump, don't homing attack it too early you will miss.

Top Bottom