• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Sciz

There's a really crazy alternate route at the beginning of modern Chemical Plant, right at the first drift segment. If you're good, you can hop on the left pipe at the beginning and boost jump your way over to an orange ring at the end of it (edit: not the one right at the end of the pipe, the one after that). If you're even better, you can just take a flying leap over the rail off the main path and nail the light dash chain floating over the abyss.

Teknoman

Sega1991 said:
Force yourself to go slow. Don't boost. Keep an eye on your surroundings. A lot of the time you'll notice a spring or something that leads to where you are that you didn't take to get there; that means you missed an alternate path. Either backtrack or flat out kill yourself if you can't get back and try to find where the paths split.

Basically, you've got to walk before you can run.

Edit: Also, talk to Sonic's friends outside of stages. They are amazingly helpful when it comes to telling you about shortcuts and where red star rings are.

Yup pretty much. If you just play the way you would back in Sonic 3/K days looking for special stage rings, you'll be surprised at what you find. Spindash jumps help too.

EDIT: You can use the lightspeed dash in Chemical Plant Act 2?

Tyeforce

Really enjoying the game so far. I just beat Crisis City, on to Rooftop Run next... It just sucks that I have to play this game at, like, 5 fps. >.>

Dark Schala said:
Mmhmm...
the thread in question got me a little frustrated, to be honest with you.

Get all the red rings in Modern Rooftop Run.

Ugh... didn't want to do the red rings because I hate searching for shit... guess I'm gonna have to really 100% this game.

Malajax

Sciz said:
There's a really crazy alternate route at the beginning of modern Chemical Plant, right at the first drift segment. If you're good, you can hop on the left pipe at the beginning and boost jump your way over to an orange ring at the end of it (edit: not the one right at the end of the pipe, the one after that). If you're even better, you can just take a flying leap over the rail off the main path and nail the light dash chain floating over the abyss.

I spent 30 min trying to go this route and it seems practically impossible! I'll get through the hoops, but I fail at the light speed dash and fall to my doom.

Teknoman said:
You can use the lightspeed dash in Chemical Plant Act 2?

At the start of the stage, stop and jump on the left "road". Follow it to the end. After homing attacking across some springs, you'll find yourself with the main path down to your right, and an orange dash ring way far off in the distance. It's SUPER HARD, but you can boost jump out to that orange dash ring, which sends you to another one, which sends you at a string of rings that can be lightdashed.

I've never actually managed to get the lightdash to trigger, personally. They seem to punish you for mashing the Y button, but you have such a split second to press it that you have to have the reflexes of a ninja to get it otherwise.

Edit: Oh, you guys are already talking about this! I'm an idiot.

Teknoman

Sega1991 said:
At the start of the stage, stop and jump on the left "road". Follow it to the end. After homing attacking across some springs, you'll find yourself with the main path down to your right, and an orange dash ring way far off in the distance. It's SUPER HARD, but you can boost jump out to that orange dash ring, which sends you to another one, which sends you at a string of rings that can be lightdashed.

I've never actually managed to get the lightdash to trigger, personally. They seem to punish you for mashing the Y button, but you have such a split second to press it that you have to have the reflexes of a ninja to get it otherwise.

Edit: Oh, you guys are already talking about this! I'm an idiot.

Heh I thought I could only jump back to the main road after taking the left path.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
SuperAngelo64 said:
Ugh... didn't want to do the red rings because I hate searching for shit... guess I'm gonna have to really 100% this game.
lol, here:

1) On the first staircase you grind on (before the rainbow ring).

2) Look for the fountain in the big open area and jump on the spring where you'll find balloons. Follow the balloon trail through a path to a 1 Up. Stay on high ground and you'll see boosters and a small tunnel with a red ring in it.

3) After hitting a checkpoint and going to the 2D perspective, you'll find some panels that you have to wall jump onto. You'll find your Red Ring here.

4) From 3, follow the upper path, and you'll be thrown into a bumper and spring poles. Use the homing attack up the balloons you come across and follow the path to get the red ring.

5) It's in the long stretch of road where you have to quickstep and avoid the enemies' lasers. Keep to your right, and it's on the right-hand side after the first turn. It's in this video (I know it has terrible audio sync problems, but it's the only video I could find. This player gets the ring at 6:56.)

Hope that helps. :)

Sciz

Sega1991 said:
I'm not sure what the approach vector from the ring looks like, having never managed to actually hit it, but hopping the rail is sort of consistently doable. Getting the correct angle is still a bitch, but if you get it just right then you go flying more or less straight through the rings and get a whole half second to light dash.

You can also ignore the light dash chain entirely and hang right to land on one of the lower cylinders by the path, though it's less of a shortcut.

Shizzlee

Miri said:
A few things that might help you,

There's a drift that you start around 1:26, it may seem like it helps, but that wall is taking serious time from you. I've noticed it in my speed running. Drift near those walls, but not at all on them.

Another cool thing I've noticed is the boost. It does indeed make you a bit faster on the initial button press, but sonic is nearly uncontrollable, due to to the speed and motion blur, and it uses almost 3x~4x the boost bar--vs a sustained boost. Use it like your life depends on it during straights, and you have the rings. That can actually shave off whole seconds.

Yeah, not sticking to the wall through the curve helped a bit. Got 2:09.39. Needed that because that other dude made my video free with 2:09.61 like 30 mins ago. >.>

Tizoc

I hate that they put in 90 annoyingly placed Red Rings in this game, ugh.
There should be an update patch that lets you purchase what these Red Ring unlocks from Omachao. It's one thing to collect them, but to collect them and finish a stage with any you collected? Ugh.

Dark Schala said:
lol, here:

1) On the first staircase you grind on (before the rainbow ring).

2) Look for the fountain in the big open area and jump on the spring where you'll find balloons. Follow the balloon trail through a path to a 1 Up. Stay on high ground and you'll see boosters and a small tunnel with a red ring in it.

3) After hitting a checkpoint and going to the 2D perspective, you'll find some panels that you have to wall jump onto. You'll find your Red Ring here.

4) From 3, follow the upper path, and you'll be thrown into a bumper and spring poles. Use the homing attack up the balloons you come across and follow the path to get the red ring.

5) It's in the long stretch of road where you have to quickstep and avoid the enemies' lasers. Keep to your right, and it's on the right-hand side after the first turn. It's in this video (I know it has terrible audio sync problems, but it's the only video I could find. This player gets the ring at 6:56.)

Hope that helps. :)

Got 'em... but I didn't unlock the song.

This game just doesn't want me to have that track :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
SuperAngelo64 said:
Got 'em... but I didn't unlock the song.

This game just doesn't want me to have that track :(
Ohhhh, I see how it is now. Okay, if that's the case, then the unlocks occur based on the amount of red rings you have. I did them in order, so that's why it unlocked at that stage for me.

So going by this, you'll need around 80 Red Rings to unlock it, it seems. I'm so sorry about that. :(

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
After replaying stages a bunch of times to find rings, I think I've concluded that Sonic Colors is still a superior game under the hood, as far as a modern mode Sonic goes. Basically, it's the level design.

Generations' weak point is the very fact that there's separate 2D and 3D/Modern stages. Because classic Sonic is pure 2D, they didn't include as many 2D elements in Modern Sonic's stages, so as not to double up on the 2D. Result: there's a lot of 3D filler sections in Modern Sonic's acts.

In Colors, the stages were basically 80% 2D and 20% 3D in most places (some stages were even pure 2D.) Generally, Colors only has a 3D section where it needs a transition between areas, or where they had a genuinely great concept for a 3D section. No filler for the sake of running into the screen.

Modern Sonic acts in this game seem to be 60-70% 3D. In most of the zones, I don't think they had enough strong 3D ideas to fill all that up. Also, it's an odd detail, but Modern Sonic is not as responsive in this game as in Sonic Colors. He is more sluggish and it leads to over-compensation in steering.

Having said that, I think the real fun in Modern Sonic's stages in Generations is not in the granular platforming quality from moment to moment, but in memorizing them so you can make better and better speed runs and more perfects without getting hit and losing rings. After you play the stages a lot, the less balanced design priorities matters less as the meta game takes over.

Overall, I would have to place Generations in the #2 spot behind Colors as best post-16 bit Sonic. It makes a hell of a duo with Sonic Colors

I don't like the other thread...

Anyway, I've finally gotten all the Red Rings for Classic and Modern Sonics all up to (and including) City Escape. Did you guys know that as Modern Sonic in City Escape,
you can crouch while on the "skateboard" at the beginning of the stage? On PS3 it's done with the circle button. I'd imagine it's done with B on 360. My mind was blown -- I'm not sure what it does exactly. Does it speed you up or slow you down?
It looks cool, I guess.

Also, I approve of the
Board Master
skill given to Fatty Sonic when he gets all the Red Rings for City Escape.
Using a skateboard whenever I want
is a nifty thing I can show off to people.

Tizoc said:
There should be an update patch that lets you purchase what these Red Ring unlocks from Omachao. It's one thing to collect them, but to collect them and finish a stage with any you collected? Ugh.

Really, the red rings aren't that tough to find in this. Like, on both the DS and the Wii, I quietly resigned myself to NEVER EVER finding all the red star rings in Sonic Colors because they are always hidden in such weird, bullshit, out of the way locations.

I find myself just dorking around in a level in Sonic Generations and when I finish it I discover I accidentally ended up finding all the red star rings for that stage. And when I DO go looking for them, the game itself provides me with enough hints as to where they are that finding them is usually a non-issue.

Teknoman

TheCongressman1 said:
I can't wait to see the first mod. You guys are keeping a look out for mods, right? RIGHT?

I think someone could create a Stardust Speedway Bad Future zone by using assets from both Chemical Plant and the Metal Sonic fight...but i'm not sure how Generations handles stuff like that.

Mistle

Tizoc said:
I can't speak for Generations as I havent ring hunted yet, but searching for them in Colours was one of my favourite parts. It really highlighted the level design and showed me so much of the levels that I would have missed out on otherwise.

Red rings in Generations are cake. Stay on the high path and you'll probably get at least 4 of them. Then talk to Sonic's friend outside the zone to get the location of the last one.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Mistle said:
I can't speak for Generations as I havent ring hunted yet, but searching for them in Colours was one of my favourite parts. It really highlighted the level design and showed me so much of the levels that I would have missed out on otherwise.

Red Ring hunts in Generations seem a tad more simplistic than Colors, but that's mainly due to the lack of the complex power up system. They used those powers in Colors to construct really cunning alternate routes to red ring areas.

In comparison, 2D stages in Generations are easier to ring hunt but very fun. 3D stages take a LOT more practice because they involve figuring out how to get to the alternate routes from the 3D sections which leave little room for error.

branny

Kaijima said:
Overall, I would have to place Generations in the #2 spot behind Colors as best post-16 bit Sonic. It makes a hell of a duo with Sonic Colors
I think this statement is perfect. I love both games; I probably like Colors slightly more, but Generations is definitely no slouch, either. It's a veritable playground of all things Sonic that I'm sure fans will enjoy playing (and breaking) for many years to come. I can't wait to see what insane people manage to do with all those equippable skills that completely change the approach to nearly every stage. The fact that there's a decent PC version of the game is also very encouraging.

I'm really grateful that the buzz over Generations prompted me to get Colors. And that Colors vastly exceeding my expectations prompted me to, in turn, buy Generations. It's been a while since I enjoyed Sonic this much. :D

Argh, there is more concept art for
Crisis City
than there basically is anything else in this game.

And not even interesting concept art, either. It's
"We drew this level geometry in pencil"
type concept art. Runner up for the same thing:
Seaside Hill

Sai-kun

Banned
asfajklsfjs

rooftop run classic

holy fuckkkkk

that was amazing.

edit:

sjdasjdl

rooftop run modern

holy fuckkkk

that was AWESOME :D

AniHawk

i don't think i've ever gone back and forth on a game like this before. if there's one problem with the way they chose their levels, it's that the last... two thirds of the game, but especially the last third, have this form of schizophrenia. the first third, the genesis era, is great because the levels kinda work in that order: green hill zone was first in sonic 1, chemical plant was second in sonic 2, and while sky sanctuary was the capper (or close to it) for a lot of stuff in the genesis era, it works here to help ramp things up. speed highway is something from some point in sonic adventure, so it's good as a middle zone too. then it's followed by two introductory zones from sonic adventure 2 and sonic heroes respectively. those levels were meant to be easier than the rest of the game, and i think it clashes with the attempt to put them in the middle of the game.

the first two thirds of the game are fine for me overall though. crisis city is just this ugly thing, and rooftop run is the fourth introductory stage in the game, except now it's near the end of the game.

and planet wisp. holy shit. part of what made sonic colors so great is that it's a straight up sonic running to the finish line thing until you unlock the wisp powers, and then you have the option to use them. iirc, by the time you hit planet wisp in colors, you're not spamming colors powers all the time. and then there's all sorts of weird shit that didn't even happen in colors's planet wisp like falling blocks or the gear charging thing. it's like no one from the colors team was available to help out. definitely the biggest disappointment for me so far.

the ramp up to the finish doesn't really work. sonic keeps learning new moves and techniques, but they're only applied to certain acts and not kept throughout the game. the light speed dash, drifting, colors powers, and stomping (well, at least how it was used in crisis city act 1) didn't need to be there. i also think the reason the genesis stages stand out so much is because they're inspired by things with way better level design than most of the rest of the game.

there needed to be a better way of picking out the levels, especially on the back end. at least, the way things were arranged feel wrong because of the design choice to separate the zones by eras.

also, it feels good to actually talk about a sonic game needing better structure than HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH HAVING THIS BAD GAMEPLAY THING THAT IS CLEARLY BAD. it's a considerable improvement.

AniHawk

spindashing said:
Also, I approve of the
Board Master
skill given to Fatty Sonic when he gets all the Red Rings for City Escape.
Using a skateboard whenever I want
is a nifty thing I can show off to people.

i was on the hunt for the one you need to use the board and the ramp earlier tonight and sonic fucking sailed right over it. like, i was on the right path, but i was too awesome a jumper and missed it. feels bad man

Mistle

Sai-kun said:
asfajklsfjs

rooftop run classic

holy fuckkkkk

that was amazing.

edit:

sjdasjdl

rooftop run modern

holy fuckkkk

The music in rooftop run is so perfect for fast paced Sonic gameplay.

Sai-kun said:
asfajklsfjs

rooftop run classic

holy fuckkkkk

that was amazing.

edit:

sjdasjdl

rooftop run modern

holy fuckkkk

This was pretty much my reaction the entire game, just double it up for City Escape.

Sai-kun

Banned
Mistle said:

When you're going down the tower (you know the one) I literally said "Holy shiiiiiittttt". That was incredible. The Rooftop Run Classic is one of my favorite songs now. :D

Re: Bosses:
perfect chaos. holy shit. i did not expect him, nor did I except it to be FUCKING AMAZING.

I don't like sky sanctuary modern sonic at all .. it looked cool in videos but i'm not a fan of it while playing ..

BUt i appreciate the effort , especially in the alternate routes i have at my disposal. This opinion is not set in stone as i might still be able to find a route suited for my tastes

AniHawk said:
it's like no one from the colors team was available to help out. definitely the biggest disappointment for me so far.
If the Dimensions rumor is true, they probably aren't.

And yeah, I agree, Planet Wisp is definitely one of the game's lowest points.

remz

Mistle said:
Agreed. The whole song is like, runrunrurnurnrunrurnrun... freaking awesome!
AniHawk said:
oh, and you know what is amazing? toxic caves + city escape act 2. it will change your life.
Toxic caves pretty much improves every stage in the game, ahaha.

Selecting music to fit a stage is like one of the games pleasures, it becomes a guilty pleasure when you start throwing the cheesy lyrical songs in, I had a nostalgia blast when I unlocked "it doesn't matter" from SA.
I think someone said earlier in this topic that Endless possibility suited City Escape act 2 well, they were right, the song even has a convenient tone shift that is likely to occur at the truck chase section.
Some combos I think worked well are...
Sky Sanctuary: Savannah Citadel
Seaside hill act 1: Hydrocity
Seaside hill act 2: Emerald Coast
Crisis City act 2: His World (pure cheese all the way)
I can't ever bring myself to change Rooftop run act 2 even though Metal harbor would probably make a nice fit.

Blueblur1

I finished the game yesterday morning. I didn't really like it, unfortunately. I still have a ton of challenge missions to complete and Red Star Rings to collect but I'm about done with it. I'm compelled to keep working on my backlog and come back to Generations in a couple months. It's a shame because I expected it to be much better and I thought I would completely love it. As it is, I like Unleashed and Colors much more.

Alright, I give up, how do you beat Shadow...

I collect the orby things and go into power mode or whatever, I hit all the meteors, and yet I still can't keep up with Shadow and actually hit him...

balladofwindfishes said:

I collect the orby things and go into power mode or whatever, I hit all the meteors, and yet I still can't keep up with Shadow and actually hit him...

Just keep boosting until you're right behind him and you will deplete his rings.

I think. That's what I did and he suddenly fell to the floor and it was all over, lol.

Haunted

balladofwindfishes said:

Shadow is in this game?

Oh man, and you guys almost had me fooled trying this one out haha.

Shahadan

Was blown away by Green Hill. Was then blown away by the music in every zone.

I'm not too happy with the physics sometimes and I still dislike modern sonic, but damn that's a good sonic game. You better make a second one, Sega. With better zone choice.

I'm stuck at the Rooftop Run Modern Challenge where you have to bounce Vector's music notes.

LOL, WTF is this? hahahahaha

almost done the challenges.

doing challenges made me appreciate some Zones more and hate others more

Crisis City is one ugly, poorly designed, with ugly enemies zone.

I also found out that in Planet Wisp in Classic, you can Spin-Dash when in Pink SPIKES.

I replaced Perfect Chaos music with Open Your Heart, much more suiting

The mission on seaside hill with classic and the animal capsules is amazing, the lighting is at dawn too, so goooood!

Kind of wish they used capsules after bosses or something, keep that classic alive.

That's a thought, after classic sonic
goes back to his timeline at the end
he is going to find that all his little flicky pals are captured, lol poor guy...

Top Bottom