• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

gutter_trash said:
I'm stuck at the Rooftop Run Modern Challenge where you have to bounce Vector's music notes.

LOL, WTF is this? hahahahaha

Phonomezer said:
Infuriating challenge. I gave up because I was about to toss the controller at something.

Yeah, this challenge is my only real gripe with the game outside of the final boss. It really doesn't work with the mechanics/camera, you'd think someone would've caught it at some point in development/testing and said "hang on, this doesn't really work all that well and isn't particularly fun."

So I bit and got the PC version, I have to say its not as good as I was hoping. My version hovers between 57-58 fps which gives a terrible 'judder' ever half a second or so. I have a decent pc (Phenom II, GF 460GTX, 8GB RAM) and afterburner tells me my graphics card isn't being maxed out (using 60-70% tops) so its not that. Pretty annoying to have a version which has the possibility of being something awesome.. But is actually harder to play thanks to the stuttering. Fuck sake.

Bucket-o-roadkill said:
So I bit and got the PC version, I have to say its not as good as I was hoping. My version hovers between 57-58 fps which gives a terrible 'judder' ever half a second or so. I have a decent pc (Phenom II, GF 460GTX, 8GB RAM) and afterburner tells me my graphics card isn't being maxed out (using 60-70% tops) so its not that. Pretty annoying to have a version which has the possibility of being something awesome.. But is actually harder to play thanks to the stuttering. Fuck sake.
do you have shadows and reflections on high? drop them to low if so as it helps a lot and doesn't look that different.

I have a weaker gpu then you and have it at 60fps now, but I am also playing 1280x720, if I could cap the game to 30 fps easily I would do so and raise the visuals but this game really cries out for 60.

Zomba13

For the Vector challenge I just stayed kinda close to his stage and attacked from there (not including the ones where he bounces the note really high). Took me like 3 or 4 tries.

Diablohead said:
do you have shadows and reflections on high? drop them to low if so as it helps a lot and doesn't look that different.

I have a weaker gpu then you and have it at 60fps now, but I am also playing 1280x720, if I could cap the game to 30 fps easily I would do so and raise the visuals but this game really cries out for 60.

As I said, its only using 60 to 70% maximum of my graphics card even with it all enabled, so even after lowering these settings the problem remains. Its fucking infuriating.

With the Rouge challenge at Seaside Hill, anyone else have a problem? Mine always crashes, sometimes at the beginning, sometimes in the middle, and sometimes right at the end. I'll never know when it will crash, so I try to make it through the level as quickly as I can.

I don't know if it's just me, but I would have actually prefered Modern City Escape to be 100% 3D. I don't feel like the 2D sections add much to that level, and having beat Sonic Adventure 2 like a million times, that level's design is so embedded in my brain that it felt really "off" once I got to the 2D sections.

balladofwindfishes said:
I don't know if it's just me, but I would have actually prefered Modern City Escape to be 100% 3D. I don't feel like the 2D sections add much to that level, and having beat Sonic Adventure 2 like a million times, that level's design is so embedded in my brain that it felt really "off" once I got to the 2D sections.
After speed running city escape modern i've come to realise about 50% of the level is on the board at the start, then a short park area followed by that 2d segment then the truck chase, rather simple once you get it down.

Classic stage is a lot better.

mbmonk

I am interested in buying this for the PC, but w/o a demo I am going to hold off. I am done buying games w/o a demo and then finding out it performs terribly and thus wasting my money. I love you team Sega, but i need a demo.

Nabs

mbmonk said:
I am interested in buying this for the PC, but w/o a demo I am going to hold off. I am done buying games w/o a demo and then finding out it performs terribly and thus wasting my money. I love you team Sega, but i need a demo.
There was a demo added to the Steam registry, I just hope it comes out soon.

CurseoftheGods said:
What music have you guys changed? I just set Stardust Speedway to Speed Highway. Seems like a pretty good fit.

Any other recommendations?

Crisis City -> Green Jungle

Finished the game, only level I didn't like as much was Planet Wisp Act 2. Amazing though, best Sonic game in years, better than colors, a couple of complaints here and their (devaluing S Ranks, etc) but it's a truly great game. Hope for more DLC levels.

Also played Sonic Adventure 2 Battle multiplayer at a friends party yesterday, still fucking awesome (won almost every match :) )

IceDoesntHelp said:
With the Rouge challenge at Seaside Hill, anyone else have a problem? Mine always crashes, sometimes at the beginning, sometimes in the middle, and sometimes right at the end. I'll never know when it will crash, so I try to make it through the level as quickly as I can.
It crashed for me, too. Right before the end, at that.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Grisby said:
Man, I feel like I lose half of my fidelity to control Sonic when its New gen sonic. Classic is oh so much better.

It's not an illusion. It's a big beef I came to have with the game. Modern Sonic is a lot heavier than in say, Sonic Colors. Tested this by loading Colors and going to any open area where you're free to stop and run around a bit.

Sonic Colors: instant response to analog stick, gets up to his medium jogging speed fast.

Generations: while he does respond to direction input immediately he is sloooow to start really moving. Also, when at high speed, he turns a lot more sharply than Colors, making his control mousy and slippery.

It's too bad. I thought they 100% nailed how he should move in Colors. I can't imagine why they'd change it so much.

Kaijima said:
It's not an illusion. It's a big beef I came to have with the game. Modern Sonic is a lot heavier than in say, Sonic Colors. Tested this by loading Colors and going to any open area where you're free to stop and run around a bit.

Sonic Colors: instant response to analog stick, gets up to his medium jogging speed fast.

Generations: while he does respond to direction input immediately he is sloooow to start really moving. Also, when at high speed, he turns a lot more sharply than Colors, making his control mousy and slippery.

It's too bad. I thought they 100% nailed how he should move in Colors. I can't imagine why they'd change it so much.

I think the controls even better in Generations, he's not actually that slow to start moving, and if you want to reach top running speed you can do a quick tap boost. I feel more in control of my direction in the actual 3D platforming segments, then in any 3D sonic game save for adventure 2. He turns more sharply but it corresponding with appropriate analog stick tilting. It's not like Sonic 06 where if you even thought too hard about moving the stick Sonic would go flying off the stage.

I think it's the best controls of the Unleashed style games yet.

Edit: You can also start off faster by getting the acceleration skill.

Sectus

Is it possible to re-watch the mini cutscenes you get when saving one of sonic's friends? They're apparently different whether you save them as original or modern Sonic and I'd like to watch the alternate versions of the cutscenes.

MNC

I can fucking finally play this game by extending my desktop with a virtual monitor that doens't exist so I force my entire computer to use my Nvidia card.

Ridiculous SEGA. But I love your game.

M3d10n

Bucket-o-roadkill said:
As I said, its only using 60 to 70% maximum of my graphics card even with it all enabled, so even after lowering these settings the problem remains. Its fucking infuriating.
It's the physics, they seem to be very demanding on AMD CPUs.

Lopson

Neo Member
CurseoftheGods said:
What music have you guys changed? I just set Stardust Speedway to Speed Highway. Seems like a pretty good fit.

Any other recommendations?

Rival fights NEED Sonic Boom playing in the background. Make it happen!

Nert

I cracked myself up a bit by changing Modern Seaside Hill's music to Marble Zone. Cognitive dissonance abounds!

qq more

Suzuki Yu said:
i don't know why everyone is hating the EGG Dragon fight!
it was a good fight to me.
I'm probably just so terrible at it. I am not sure if it's actually a terrible battle itself, but I find myself having such a hard time hitting him. Ugh.

Any tips?

Teknoman

Shadowlink said:
Any news on the 3DS version?

Nothing so far aside from it having a release date of November 22nd still.

Also everyone should try using Toxic Caves in some of the slower paced Chemical Plant Zone classic challenges. Super Sonic Racing for Modern Sonic ghost races, and Sonic Boom for Classic Sonic ghost races.

Angel Island will probably work nice in Seaside Hill.

qq more said:
I'm probably just so terrible at it. I am not sure if it's actually a terrible battle itself, but I find myself having such a hard time hitting him. Ugh.

Any tips?

Always use the boost jump thingies to get on the rails. Took me a while to get that, lol.

rallyart

Neo Member
Bucket-o-roadkill said:

I´m also having this problem, and I´ve a GTX 580 with an I7 oced.

The stuttering is so damn annoying .....

Btw, If I force vsync, through d3doverride or Nvidia control panel, my fps limits is 55 or 56 fps, only via ingame vsync I reach 60 fps.

qq more

Phonomezer said:
Always use the boost jump thingies to get on the rails. Took me a while to get that, lol.
I could only do that once. Every time after that, he's in a middle of an attack which makes it impossible to hit him :(

Suzuki Yu

qq more said:

Any tips?
Phonomezer said:
that, and you need to be careful to dodge his lock-on attacks using the quick-step!
also the wall jumping attack is pretty easy to achieve

Best sonic design:

200bojt.png

Teknoman

I lost the slight stutter by turning off V-sync.

Sky Sanctuary

City Escape

This shows that too fast glitch I was talking about earlier (left the screen like in the old school games, but ended up dying). That and some really close calls with the truck...felt great to make it out by a thread though lol.

Seaside Hill

Ended up going the crappy underwater route on accident in Act 1. Well its not really crappy, just no one likes being underwater in Sonic. Act 2 I really had fun with though.

Shahadan

The Shadow fight is once again one of the worst things ever designed. Or I am missing something. 21 minutes with the fucker here. Everytime I deplete his rings he gains a boost from nowhere until he finds other rings ! yeah ! How am I supposed to beat that?

And now this retard fell from the stage and is stuck in space. Bugs, how do they fuck up your life. 20 minutes of my life wasted !

Red

I got to pick this up last night for PC. Played through the first two stages.

Classic Sonic does not control as he did in the old games, but he doesn't control poorly. It's a bit snappier than the Genesis titles. Also seems to build momentum quicker. I don't really a have a problem with this, but I'd heard from other people that the physics were the same. They're not.

Modern Sonic... man, I don't know if it's because I haven't spent much time with the series recently, but is it really just a matter of holding forward and attacking when prompted? Is that how modern sonic plays? Really boring.

It's a beautiful game though, and I love the soundtrack. The classic stages are still fun. I just don't really get modern Sonic, I guess. He doesn't roll or anything, it's just like a sudden speed burst when you want to accelerate him? Last Sonic game I finished was Adventure, and I don't remember the mechanics there being the same as they are here.

Haunted said:
Shadow is in this game?

Oh man, and you guys almost had me fooled trying this one out haha.
He's only a mini boss...

AniHawk said:
i was on the hunt for the one you need to use the
board and the ramp earlier tonight and sonic fucking sailed right over it. like, i was on the right path, but i was too awesome a jumper and missed it.
feels bad man
Happened to me too. I also sailed too low once. I got too excited and thought I had it... =(

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Finished the main quest. Sonic Colors has a lot more content and feels more coherent from level to level. I enjoyed Generations, but I have never been a big Sonic fan, so all the fanservice flew over my head.

At least it finally cemented into me the idea that I prefer Modern Sonic to Classic Sonic. But hey, I was a SNES kid!

Teknoman

Crunched said:
I got to pick this up last night for PC. Played through the first two stages.

Classic Sonic does not control as he did in the old games, but he doesn't control poorly. It's a bit snappier than the Genesis titles. Also seems to build momentum quicker. I don't really a have a problem with this, but I'd heard from other people that the physics were the same. They're not.

Modern Sonic... man, I don't know if it's because I haven't spent much time with the series recently, but is it really just a matter of holding forward and attacking when prompted? Is that how modern sonic plays? Really boring.

It's a beautiful game though, and I love the soundtrack. The classic stages are still fun. I just don't really get modern Sonic, I guess. He doesn't roll or anything, it's just like a sudden speed burst when you want to accelerate him? Last Sonic game I finished was Adventure, and I don't remember the mechanics there being the same as they are here.

Wait till you get further like Sky Sanctuary. it usually splits into one of 4 types. Slowdown and platform 3D segments, fast forward 3D segments, slowdown and platform 2D segments, or boost straight up a ramp and chain some jumps 2D segments.

I've been trying to S-Rank Planet Wisp Act 2 for the better half of the morning, and most of my mistakes can pretty much be attributed to my muscle memory from Colors betraying me. I'll miss a jump and think "WHAT THE FUCK, I KNOW I PRESSED THE DOUBLE JUMP BUTT- Oh... right."

That being said, it'd be nice if Sega did an HD port of Colors. Planet Wisp looks really great in HD, and I certainly wouldn't mind double dipping.

qq more

spindashing said:
He's only a mini boss...
That and
you can smash meteors into him.
Feels so satisfying. I hate that guy.

Silver too, I love how at the end of the fight
he gets crushed by his own attack.
Hahaha.

Thanks for the suggestions, I managed to get the fucker working properly by messing about with the Vsync options. Good stuff. Got to Planet Wisp in one go, such a fun game. More so playing at 60fps.

I have that annoying stutter problem on a number of things, This is one of the first real times I've fixed it. I tried some other games and they still stutter though, fuck knows what it is.

Red

Teknoman said:
Wait till you get further like Sky Sanctuary. it usually splits into one of 4 types. Slowdown and platform 3D segments, fast forward 3D segments, slowdown and platform 2D segments, or boost straight up a ramp and chain some jumps 2D segments.
None of those sound nearly as interesting as classic Sonic to me :/

I'll hope it gets better, but what I've played so far... I was just holding one button basically wondering what the hell I was looking at. In the first modern Sonic stage I go over a jump and he starts spazzing out and I get an achievement for doing a stunt? But I didn't do anything! I was just holding forward.

It's probably too early to pass judgment, but I was really surprised at how automated it all was.

Top Bottom