• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Honestly, there's a lot of response from people that the game was too easy after playing Green Hill Zone or just the demo.

It gets harder. You can't just hold forward and hope for the best. You can't spin dash whenever you feel. You can't hold boost throughout a whole level blindly.

This is a platforming game after all.

AlexMogil said:
s Star Light Zone music in the game?
I think so. I swear I unlocked it. I'm not at my game now so I don't remember.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Modern Sonic is a racing game with a bit of platforming here and there.
Classic Sonic is a platforming game that sometimes goes too fucking fast.

Whatever, brb playing Colors

Throavium

Regulus Tera said:
Modern Sonic is a racing game with a bit of platforming here and there.
Classic Sonic is a platforming game that sometimes goes too fucking fast.

Whatever, brb playing Colors
Oh god...

Teknoman

Crunched said:
None of those sound nearly as interesting as classic Sonic to me :/

I'll hope it gets better, but what I've played so far... I was just holding one button basically wondering what the hell I was looking at. In the first modern Sonic stage I go over a jump and he starts spazzing out and I get an achievement for doing a stunt? But I didn't do anything! I was just holding forward.

It's probably too early to pass judgment, but I was really surprised at how automated it all was.

Dont hold forward. When you hit a rainbow colored ramp, press in different directions to do different tricks. Once you're about to land, press L1/R1 or LB/RB to do a finish trick to gain the most boost. Never just hold forward in the air because you may miss out of alternate routes you could land on.

Also dont just boost constantly.

Repost if you dont care about stage layout spoilers:

Sky Sanctuary

City Escape

This shows that too fast glitch I was talking about earlier (left the screen like in the old school games, but ended up dying). That and some really close calls with the truck...felt great to make it out by a thread though lol.

Seaside Hill

Ended up going the crappy underwater route on accident in Act 1. Well its not really crappy, just no one likes being underwater in Sonic. Act 2 I really had fun with though.

Chemical Plant

The sections you think are automated, really might not be.

Bizarrely, I've been playing Modern Sonic a lot more than Classic. I'm a kid who grew up with Sonic 1, 2, 3 and Knuckles... but the Modern Sonic stages here are just as fun as the classic ones. I kinda wish Modern could still spindash and roll down hills, but at least we have Classic for that.

MEATER

I wasn't expecting much, especially not after reading some posts in this thread but I sure didn't regret buying this after liking the demo!

Can't remember ever having this much fun with Sonic!

And that includes Sonic1 for the MegaDrive back in the day and all other Sonics up to Adventure 2. Didn't care much about any Sonic game after the Dreamcast area though so maybe some of the Wii stuff was good.

I like the modern levels more so far. When running around with classic Sonic I just miss the lock on feature now that I got used to it...

qq more said:
Yes

And these shitty friends needs to shut the fuck up in the final boss. :l
That looks like a homing missile
Careful Sonic
Careful Sonic
Careful Sonic

Switch sides to catch up to him

Careful Sonic
Careful Sonic
Careful Sonic

He's slowing down time
Time has restored

Careful Sonic
Careful Sonic
Careful Sonic

qq more

IceDoesntHelp said:
Careful Sonic
Careful Sonic
Careful Sonic

Careful Sonic
Careful Sonic
Careful Sonic

He's slowing down time
Time has restored

Careful Sonic
Careful Sonic
Careful Sonic
Seriously

And this boss is god awful. Holy shit.

IceDoesntHelp said:
Careful Sonic
Careful Sonic
Careful Sonic

Careful Sonic
Careful Sonic
Careful Sonic

He's slowing down time
Time has restored

Careful Sonic
Careful Sonic
Careful Sonic

Not to mention that the final boss looks like a giant drag queen.

rallyart

Neo Member
Bucket-o-roadkill said:
Thanks for the suggestions, I managed to get the fucker working properly by messing about with the Vsync options. Good stuff. Got to Planet Wisp in one go, such a fun game. More so playing at 60fps.

I have that annoying stutter problem on a number of things, This is one of the first real times I've fixed it. I tried some other games and they still stutter though, fuck knows what it is.

What was your solution for stuttering issues, turning off vsync???

Thanks

I like that after having to suffer through that nonsensical last boss, you are greeted with:

Hey, Sonic! Enjoy your future!

It's gonna be great!

bum bum bummm

SonicMegaDrive said:
I like that after having to suffer through that nonsensical last boss, you are greeted with:

It's gonna be great!

bum bum bummm
Sonic is such a douche.

Teknoman

rallyart said:
What was your solution for stuttering issues, turning off vsync???

Thanks

Thats what worked for me. Whoever said this game has too much tearing must've been looking too hard. Either that or it has more to do with the resolution the game was running at(not sure if that would have any effect)? 1440x900 and very minor tearing, almost unnoticeable except in the hub when the background is all white.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
SonicMegaDrive said:

It's gonna be great!

bum bum bummm

Sonic is a troll confirmed. :p

IceDoesntHelp said:
Careful Sonic
Careful Sonic
Careful Sonic

Careful Sonic
Careful Sonic
Careful Sonic

He's slowing down time
Time has restored

Careful Sonic
Careful Sonic
Careful Sonic

Oh god that was awful! Only confirmed earlier when
the friends first show up, and Robotnik (by the by, I fucking LOVE that he's Robotnik!) asks "Who are they?", to which Eggman replies "They're irrelevant!!" XD

Red

Tekno, the videos you posted above are of classic Sonic. I don't have a problem with those and actually enjoy them. It's modern Sonic that feels automated. Big attack prompts, many narrow hallways, constant boosters, etc. The controls are even corrected for you during curves.

SonicMegaDrive said:

It's gonna be great!

bum bum bummm

You've got to be shitting me.

spindashing said:
Classic Sonic also
tries to do a homing attack. I wonder how many of you cried delicious tears after seeing that.

And so, Sonic learned that he blows ass, because all he has is that crappy ass spinning air strike move that sucks balls.

spindashing said:
Classic Sonic also
tries to do a homing attack. I wonder how many of you cried delicious tears after seeing that.

You can actually unlock the homing attack for Classic Sonic in the game. No shitting.

Teknoman

lol so now its set in stone. Sonic 4 EP 2 will have the homing attack regardless. Its crazy how they're trying to canonize the skill.

McNum

So I beat the game, too, and I got the
Super Sonic
skill. But, how do I activate it? I get up to 50 rings, and try every button on the controller, but no
Super Sonic
. I don't get it. PC version with an Xbox 360 controller, by the way. When I finally want the game to interrupt me with yet another tutorial, it doesn't. Figures.

Also with the final boss, is there a trick to it? It took well over 10 minutes for me to beat him, but it was only because I had trouble catching him in the second phase where he tries to grab you when you get close. If I got close, I got grabbed, if I dodge, he gets away... I just kept boosting until I hit, but that took a while. Shouldn't that lock-on symbol mean something?

I need to save up for that skill the final boss unlocks, too. Is that what I think it is? The same as in Secret Rings? That will be very useful if it does what I think, especially if I keep full control during it. The Red Rings will be much, much easier to get.

Malajax

McNum said:
So I beat the game, too, and I got the
Super Sonic
skill. But, how do I activate it? I get up to 50 rings, and try every button on the controller, but no
Super Sonic
. I don't get it. PC version with an Xbox 360 controller, by the way. When I finally want the game to interrupt me with yet another tutorial, it doesn't. Figures.

Also with the final boss, is there a trick to it? It took well over 10 minutes for me to beat him, but it was only because I had trouble catching him in the second phase where he tries to grab you when you get close. If I got close, I got grabbed, if I dodge, he gets away... I just kept boosting until I hit, but that took a while. Shouldn't that lock-on symbol mean something?

I need to save up for that skill the final boss unlocks, too. Is that what I think it is? The same as in Secret Rings? That will be very useful if it does what I think, especially if I keep full control during it. The Red Rings will be much, much easier to get.

You need to equip it in the customization menu.

Super Sonic SUCKS in this game. You don't go that much faster and the ring drain is ridiculous. Boosting as Modern Sonic while Super Sonic will drain your rings in seconds

JohngPR

Anyone know if there are any differences between the PS3 and 360 versions of the game?

I know Amazon has the PS3 version for $37 bucks right now.

The 2 seconds it takes to transform will also kill your speedruns, would have been nice if for modern sonic he could transform within a split second even if his ring drain is mental, classic fits the floating transform as it's just like sonic 2 and 3.

Green Scar said:
You've got to be shitting me.

It gets worse. Ending spoilers.

It's all rather patronising towards Classic Sonic, with Modern saying "ONE DAY YOU'LL BE ABLE TO DO ALL THE COOL THINGS I CAN DO!" followed by a scene where Classic does his first ever homing attack to impress Modern Sonic. :(:(

Classic Robotnik, once he hears his name, replies "oh nobody calls me that anymore.." :(

Sonic 4 title theme plays when both Sonics go Super. :(

It's so bad. I'm not a hater btw, adore the game, but the ending is embarassing.

(edit) got beaten, and yes I did cry delicious tears.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Sonic has had the homing attack for a longer time than that in which he didn't have the homing attack. I thought you guys had come to terms with it already.

Berordn

Malajax said:
Super Sonic SUCKS in this game. You don't go that much faster and the ring drain is ridiculous. Boosting as Modern Sonic while Super Sonic will drain your rings in seconds
Boosting as Modern does put you on autopilot though, and it steers you to the upper paths. It has its uses but effective use of infinite boost would be better on the whole.

McNum

Malajax said:
You need to equip it in the customization menu.

Ah, got it.
Classic Super Sonic has an adorable win pose, but after playing the Sonic 4 Super Sonic, this one is kind of a letdown.

RurouniZel said:
Oh god that was awful! Only confirmed earlier when
the friends first show up, and Robotnik (by the by, I fucking LOVE that he's Robotnik!) asks "Who are they?", to which Eggman replies "They're irrelevant!!" XD
Yeah, I LOVED that. I also thought
Dr. Robotink was adorable d:
Also,
(even though I didn't play Sonic Colours) I was surprised to see that Generations is a direct sequel.

SonicMegaDrive said:
You can actually unlock the homing attack for Classic Sonic in the game. No shitting.
This, I didn't know. :eek: That's cool actually.

Also, now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind DLC enabling me to play Classic Sonic in Modern stages and vice versa.

I don't mind the homing attack, but before they start trying to explain it in canon, they need to make more good games that feature it. Two down, say... 3 more to go?

Platinum Trophy obtained, my first one in fact. I figured i'd go for it as upon getting all the items I was pretty much 90% there, though I did have to relive the crummy final boss multiple times for my last one "beat the final boss without getting hit", I can barely tell if i've been hit in the first place! that fight it still a colossal mess even when you know what you're doing.

ShortBus

JohngPR said:
Anyone know if there are any differences between the PS3 and 360 versions of the game?

I know Amazon has the PS3 version for $37 bucks right now.

No Install on the PS3 version. Longer load times.
Less slowdown on the 360.

Is anyone with the PS3 version having trouble connectiong to the 30 second trial? I keep getting an error message when I try to connect. (I wanted to get the trophy for that out of the way.)

JohngPR

ShortBus said:
No Install on the PS3 version. Longer load times.
Less slowdown on the 360.

Thanks for the reply.

Looks like the 360 is the way to go. I looked at the Lens of Truth stuff and it looks like the PS3 version has blurrier textures.

I really really love the classic sonic planet wisp zone. Lot's of platforming and the art is so good.

I know it's a hard zone but it's like sandopolis meets metropolis //trollface

Took me 15 minutes to finish it the first time lol!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Damn this game is GOOD. I can't enough. I thought Colors was pretty ho-hum after Unleashed, but this decimates both of them.

The PC version is especially good, if you can run it. After some fiddling I've managed to get 60 fps most of the time and it is sublime. At 60, the controls are nearly perfect and incredibly responsive. While a bit different, I do feel that classic Sonic plays nearly as well as the Genesis games. It's quite nice on 360, but it just feels like a new game at 60 fps.

Shame the requirements are so damn high. The game is more demanding than Battlefield 3! Sonic Generations needs to start showing up in benchmarks.

Homing attack in Sonic Adventure > Homing attack in Modern sonic games.
What on earth makes you say that? The controls in Sonic Adventure are absolute garbage next to Generations. It's not even a comparison. Generations allows for absolute precision.

The Power Of Snap said:
I really really love the classic sonic planet wisp zone. Lot's of platforming and the art is so good.

I know it's a hard zone but it's like sandopolis meets metropolis //trollface

Took me 15 minutes to finish it the first time lol!
This is an oddly fitting comparison, the planet wisp stages get more enjoyable after multiple plays, as in when it only takes 5 minutes to beat instead of 15.

MIMIC

Banned
That
Shadow boss
stage: WTF am I supposed to be doing? lol

The time got to 6+ minutes when I realized that I was not making any inroads.

man i don't like sonic at all but the game is really fun and looks gorgeous in 60fps.

and call me crazy but i prefer modern sonic over the classic sonic stages which i find a bit boring sometimes.

Top Bottom