• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost World Review Thread [Embargo Ends: Oct. 18th, 4:00 AM EDT]

And all the outlets did not play it as much as you and did not understand the mechanics either? The ones that did play the game as much as you and understood the mechanics all gave it a positive score, right?

Yeah, no.
I'm just saying it's interesting that every complaint IGN has is pretty much the same that I did... for the first hour or so.

Terrell

From what I've read of the reviews and how they rag on the difficulty... maybe they should have pre-ordered from Amazon? Just sayin'.

That 25-lives preorder bonus seems to make a lot more sense that it did a few hours ago.

But honestly, it's a SONIC game. Journalists and reviewers, if you can't play them at a harder difficulty by now, perhaps it's time for a new profession.

I'm kind of disappointed but too many games makes this sort of a relief.

I remember when some here were saying they were more hyped for this than Mario 3D World.

The boys and girls from Tokyo aren't going to leave anything for debate.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I played the first two worlds last night. I seriously do not understand these review scores, but I'm going to hold off on my judgement until I finish the game.

However, as for right now... I really don't understand the complaints about controls. Sonic is now capable of stopping on a dime and darting in a different direction at your will. I never, ever feel like I'm not in control of him. Which I can't even say about Generations.

I would say that the new moves such as wall running literally, spin dashing to get to progress up steep curves and how to use bounce effectively aren't explained. I believe i've had 2 tutorials (that you can completely bypass). One about "YOU CAN PRESS A TO JUMP!" and the other being "btw, R makes you go faster".

Prepare to have to learn how to do certain moves or pass obstacles without any explanation from the game.

The controls definitely are not as precise as Mario, but I think it is unfair to measure it against Mario, even if it borrows some ideas from the Galaxy games, it's still a very different game from Mario Galaxy. However, not explaining the - really tricky imo - parcoursing system is a bad idea and if you just want to rush through the game, taking no time to learn the mechanics, the final world will definitely be brutally frustrating. I loved the higher difficulty.

Seik

Banned
My word, this is very intriguing. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if, between both versions, this game manages to hit every number on the 10-point scale.

Sounds like this already, reviews are looking polarized so far.

NotLiquid

Gamereactor Sweden: 6/10
Gamereactor Norway: 8/10
Gamereactor Germany: 6/10
Gamereactor Portugal: 8/10

From the Swedish review:

Pros: Excellent 2D-stages, pretty design, good music, smart world map, fun minigames

Cons: Controls lack precision, camera problems, bad checkpoints, meaningless cutscenes

MIlky1985

Banned
I knew this game was overhyped as shit...

So i guess you are ignoring the good reviews then?

Funny thing is, from the look of it some of the bad scores seem to be given it by the fans because its too slow etc etc. Fans who can never decide if sonic is about, speed, momentum or neither. I swear I remember hearing form people that in 3d sonic moves too fast and thats why it doesn't work, so hes been slowed down and "wahhah too slow".

But it think polarizing is what people expected, so far from my play its good, its not excellent, its not terrible, its good (although the asteroid colors power can go screw itself, just let me use the stick dammit).

Although the games industry nowadays has no words for merely being good, hard to show on a 7-10 scale ;)

Got it yesterday, hes not too slow, however it doesn't explain that you need to hold down a trigger to really get the speed going (I did the first level without realizing this) so i do wonder if some reviewers were simply not using his dash and instead going at his slower "platforming" speed :p

greg400

Banned
Game seems very polarizing with the score range being ridiculous like ZombiU. I'll check it out for myself before making a verdict.

However, as for right now... I really don't understand the complaints about controls. Sonic is now capable of stopping on a dime and darting in a different direction at your will. I never, ever feel like I'm not in control of him. Which I can't even say about Generations.

Annnd, that's not really what I want in a Sonic game. Being completely stiff does not equal good, especially for a platformer. Movement just doesn't work like that. Generations was way too unwieldy, and Lost World seems way too stiff. They need to find a middle ground.

As for what people are saying about the speed. I think the general speed Sonic goes is fine. It just needs momentum and acceleration. That's all.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Is it difficult as in, "tough luck bitch", difficult?

Or Sonic Unleashed (I enjoyed daytime Unleashed btw) uber trial and error, too bad you won't fly through this stage on your first try difficult?

One is a design flaw, the other is fine as long as the game preps you accordingly with the pacing and such. Sounds like the difficulty curve may be haywire.

It's not a matter of luck, but you need to learn the mechanics well, otherwise you will have a hard time, especially in more unique levels.

Really wish there was a demo put up so I could judge for myself, but it's getting the mixed reviews I was expecting.

Holy hell at Sonic 4 being considered a 'success' in comparison though, christ.

Ark

I was tempted to pick this up after work today, but now I think I'll wait for the demo to come to the EU first.

Velcro Fly

A demo would have put my mind at ease that the game was at least playable.

Think I'll wait on this one for a little while. Maybe use some cash/gift cards I get for Christmas or something.

UberTag

Never fear guys... a good Sonic game is still on its way this fall to save the Wii U.

TM_WiiU_MarioAndSonicattheOlympicWinterGamesSochi2014_enGB_news_detail_packshot.png

Nico_D

The scores are all over the place but personally I don't care too much about them. The two things that worries me most about this game are the length and the difficulty.

Length aside, the question of the difficulty is more important. I've been playing Giana Sisters and while I'm quite good at platforming and I'm currently in the second to last level of the game, there have been numerous occassions where the difficulty has been unfair. Meaning, the graphics hide some of the obstacles or those obstacles are placed so that the game becomes a speedtest. That wouldn't be a problem if the controls actually worked like they should: if I push up, the character goes up, not diagonally.

And this is the feeling it get from the reviews of Sonic. Unfair difficulty with everything thrown at the player with far-away checkpoints which results as me losing interest. Don't know, might get this when in bargain.

TheOGB

Banned
From what I've read of the reviews and how they rag on the difficulty... maybe they should have pre-ordered from Amazon? Just sayin'.

That 25-lives preorder bonus seems to make a lot more sense that it did a few hours ago.

But honestly, it's a SONIC game. Journalists and reviewers, if you can't play them at a harder difficulty by now, perhaps it's time for a new profession.
I was coming to say the exact same thing. This bit from Joystiq's review:
On top of all these problems is the most baffling change of all: Collecting 100 rings no longer grants Sonic an extra life. The only way you'll get extra lives is by finding them and, for all of Lost World's instant-kill traps and bottomless pits, the game is surprisingly stingy with its hand-outs. Without the ability to earn extra lives, there's little incentive for players to explore levels for rings, since they now serve only to increase your score and protect Sonic from a single hit.
Guess RubyEclipse wasn't bluffing about being able to take more risks...

ash_ag

It's one of the worst 2D Sonic games. A disgrace to the classics, doesn't deserve the title of Sonic 4.

Seriously, I think it was bad by design. Sega admitted that they made the game bad on purpose by making Sonic's walking speed on that game as slow as possible. I probably wouldn't believe them if they admitted that with words, but no one can doubt this fact when the game's design is the opposite of what it should be.

I wonder why though. Maybe testing how much a fandom can take? Maybe Lost World is their way of rivalling Capcom, who has stepped up their game on that matter lately.

NotLiquid

Judging from the reviews I'm going to assume this will be a 65-70 on Metacritic. Looks like a decent enough game with a lot of wasted potential. The reactions seem really damn mixed.

I'm just happy that they got rid of the boost game play so hopefully they can build upon this and improve it for their next game.

I played the first two worlds last night. I seriously do not understand these review scores, but I'm going to hold off on my judgement until I finish the game.

I would say that the new moves such as wall running literally, spin dashing to get to progress up steep curves and how to use bounce effectively aren't explained. I believe i've had 2 tutorials (that you can completely bypass). One about "YOU CAN PRESS A TO JUMP!" and the other being "btw, R makes you go faster".

Prepare to have to learn how to do certain moves or pass obstacles without any explanation from the game.

So i guess you are ignoring the good reviews then?

Funny thing is, from the look of it some of the bad scores seem to be given it by the fans because its too slow etc etc. Fans who can never decide if sonic is about, speed, momentum or neither. I swear I remember hearing form people that in 3d sonic moves too fast and thats why it doesn't work, so hes been slowed down and "wahhah too slow".

But it think polarizing is what people expected, so far from my play its good, its not excellent, its not terrible, its good (although the asteroid colors power can go screw itself, just let me use the stick dammit).

Although the games industry nowadays has no words for merely being good, hard to show on a 7-10 scale ;)

Got it yesterday, hes not too slow, however it doesn't explain that you need to hold down a trigger to really get the speed going (I did the first level without realizing this) so i do wonder if some reviewers were simply not using his dash and instead going at his slower "platforming" speed :p

If you guys have time, would you mind leaving some playing tips in the OT Thread.

Now I wonder if the real culprit is the lack of explanation for movement, pointing tot he difficulty now. Also wonder how different the scores would be if this wasn't a Sonic game (plays the same, but you're controlling someone else).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Reading these reviews and after the W101 ones I just think I am too old for the gaming industry of today. I like difficult games, I like learning how to play differently, like in "the good ol' days". But who knows, I will check tonight how bad this game really is.

TheOGB

Banned
Oh geez... isn't Sega's policy of recalling low-scoring Sonic games still in effect? Is this game going to be available for very long...?
Kinda joking, but I dunno...

I love Gametrailers reviews. They are consistently the most fair and realistic reviews in my opinion.

Agreed. Between them and GamesRadar, I have the perfect combination of reviewers that have similar tastes to mine and am able to discern weather or not I want a game based on their reviews.

Noi

I was coming to say the exact same thing. This bit from Joystiq's review:

Guess RubyEclipse wasn't bluffing about being able to take more risks...

Wow what? That seems like such an arbitrarily awful thing to change, what's even the incentive to try and keep more than one ring on you if there's no reward for doing so?

NotLiquid

Oh geez... isn't Sega's policy of recalling low-scoring Sonic games still in effect? Is this game going to be available for very long...?
Kinda joking, but I dunno...

The recalling strategy wasn't one that was meant to be continuous.

With that said the game is getting a similar, if not slightly better reception than Unleashed, which was also divisive and ended up with a 60 on Metacritic, so I'm expecting this game to be slightly higher.

Rvaisse

Now people will have to lay off IGN and "question" the other publications/sites.

Maybe the game is just not very good guys? We kinda do this in every review thread

We all want a great game, but...you cannot force it. Either is or is not

Thing is im playing it since 3 days and these reviews clearly show that
1/ reviewers didnt play the game long enough.
2/ reviewers dont like to learn by themselves.
3/ reviewers gives bad scores when they suck at playing a game.

joystik said:
On top of all these problems is the most baffling change of all: Collecting 100 rings no longer grants Sonic an extra life.

What?

See this shit right here? This alone would make me turn of the game and take it back to the shop. This is like one of the most important elements of a Sonic game.

What the fuck.

Toxi

Banned
Sad to see that the 3DS version is near universally panned, and not for the same reasons the Wii U version is.

Now people will have to lay off IGN and "question" the other publications/sites.
Why? IGN deserves the bashing. They're a bunch of nincompoop shills who couldn't play their way out of a wet paper bag.

Top Bottom