• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

I'll say this as a linguist: I was always intrigued by the voice recognition software in Kinect. How it would pick apart different accents, different languages, different dialects of those languages, etc. I would imagine that Kinect would pick up what I say to it, but if someone like my mom talked to it, it wouldn't be able to pick it up at all despite her speaking English (but she speaks a completely different dialect of English that's hard for people to decipher). I have to wonder how further along they are with that tech.

The short answer is that accounting for those sorts of differences is really damn hard and represents most of the research effort in the field for the last forty years.

The long answer is that modern voice recognition works off of a giant probability graph that matches input to the most likely sequence of phonemes (and the most likely sequence of words, from there). If you're trying to match against the entire vocabulary of a language your error rates are still fairly substantial, but cutting the vocabulary way down like you would for a device like Kinect results in many less possibilities, which lets you achieve much better accuracy even across multiple speakers.

A dialect so thick that even people have trouble with it isn't likely to play well with a device expecting English input, however.

Read up on hidden Markov models and how they're applied to speech recognition if you want to get more into the science behind the tech.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Today's just been all-around weird. Wow.

Its only good application for games. Just look at all the kinect games that have some shoe-horned dance mode because it's the only thing that works well.
Oh, Kinect had some neato stuff. Entertainment.

ez6_4.gif

But... yeah... Kinect ain't all that.

this not =noptional..soryrry

COR FEATYURS
ihugyou
Oh wow. Hahahahahaha. Dang.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The short answer is that accounting for those sorts of differences is really damned hard and represents most of the research effort in the field for the last forty years.

The long answer is that modern voice recognition works off of a giant probability graph that matches input to the most likely sequence of phonemes (and the most likely sequence of words, from there). If you're trying to match against the entire vocabulary of a language your error rates are still fairly substantial, but cutting the vocabulary way down like you would for a device like Kinect results in many less possibilities, which lets you achieve much better accuracy even across multiple speakers.

A dialect so thick that even people have trouble with it isn't likely to play well with a device expecting English input, however.

Read up on hidden Markov models and how they're applied to speech recognition if you want to get more into the science behind the tech.
I will. It's not something we talked about back when I was in undergrad, and I was graduating as they were about to release Kinect, so I was intrigued back then. Since I switched fields of study, I haven't been able to keep up with it. Sound studies (ex: optimality theory -- so the study of sound rules and phonotactics), historical linguistics, and neuro/psycholinguistics, yes, but other fields that I wasn't too experienced on, no.

But yes, accounting for all of those differences is incredibly difficult to do. Especially when you take into account all of the languages in existence worldwide, and especially when you take into account accents, dialects, pidgins, creoles, etc. It's just hard to accommodate for every single speaker in the world. There are even individual-to-individual variances, so the tech isn't always going to be perfect. Using common words like they usually do in the conferences certainly work. "Xbox play! / Xbox joué! / Xbox juega!" or something like that would work far more based on the lack of tons of variables at work. I would expect that they're using a standard with respect to that, so the most out-there accents or dialects mightn't work.

I do remember that they only had certain dialects of Spanish present, for example. So Spain Spanish as opposed to other forms of Spanish. And sometimes it didn't work since the phonological input was not what Kinect was expecting.

Anyway, I just find that aspect of the tech interesting.

where are people getting its DR3?

Crazy Buttocks has a good track record for inside scoops, he let us all know how Dead Space 3 would turn out almost a year before release. He teased DR3 ages ago, and we were expecting a reveal at E3 a few days later. Nope. So ever since I wondered what the fuck happened...

...so when he posted this thread today about SmartGlass, I asked him where DR3 was, and he said it's an exclusive.

I honestly thought DR3 was canned, especially given Capcom's statements about most of their unannounced games being called off.

Though if it is Microsoft exclusive, that's not much better :V

Man, I think I'm gonna go take a walk or something, this heat is ridiculous. Might get some ice cream, come to think of it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You know, I don't really care about System Wars stuff because I think it's, well, stupid, but... yeah, saw that coming since everyone expected a games console.

Seven Force said:
Might get some ice cream, come to think of it.
I want ice cream. :/

Vanilla ice cream, please. :)

Sciz

I do remember that they only had certain dialects of Spanish present, for example. So Spain Spanish as opposed to other forms of Spanish.

Yeah, the probability models are fixed, pregenerated structures bundled with the software. You can let them adapt to the user over time to improve accuracy for that one user, but handling a new dialect entirely takes structural changes.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I would have loved to have been in his office when he found out.

Q: Does Xbox One require an “always on” Internet connection?

A: No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet.
We’re designing Xbox One to be your all-in-one entertainment system that is connected to the cloud and always ready. We are also designing it so you can play games and watch Blu-ray movies and live TV if you lose your connection.
Okay.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Edit: Schalaaaaaaaaaaaaa
We are of the same mind sometimes, Noi-Noi.

They just worded it funny. It doesn't have to be "always online". But it does require internet for stuff.

Edit; GAAAAH, every time someone writes in "X1", my mind immediately thinks of something else. It's dumb.

Nert

Alright, I just got home from work and I'm ready to find out about this "Xbox" thing. I'm sure that the reveal was wonderful and that everyone loved it!

I just want to see how the Giantbomb guys riffed on the press conference.

We are of the same mind sometimes, Noi-Noi.

They just worded it funny. It doesn't have to be "always online". But it does require internet for stuff.

Edit; GAAAAH, every time someone writes in "X1", my mind immediately thinks of something else. It's dumb.

X1 better not be the standard. I don't want people to start confusing it with something like MMX1.

Tirod

I was a gigantic idiot when I registered back in 2008 and never fully verified my account. About 5 years later, I found out my blunder and can finally post, all thanks to procrastinating for finals. When I read/heard that getting approved here took awhile, I was blown away that is was taking as long for me as it did lol.

It feels so weird to finally be able to post in this thread, when I've played the role of lurker so long. Can't wait to dig into Lost World info with you guys later, y'all are easily the best Sonic community to me by far.

Nert

Giantbomb's reactions to the Call of Duty trailer dog were wonderful. Also, the system itself looks sort of terrible : /

Edit: That Planet Wisp/Get Lucky mashup is better than the original Daft Punk song.

Edit Again: Glad to have you, Tirod!

Sciz

I was a gigantic idiot when I registered back in 2008 and never fully verified my account. About 5 years later, I found out my blunder and can finally post, all thanks to procrastinating for finals. When I read/heard that getting approved here took awhile, I was blown away that is was taking as long for me as it did lol.

It feels so weird to finally be able to post in this thread, when I've played the role of lurker so long. Can't wait to dig into Lost World info with you guys later, y'all are easily the best Sonic community to me by far.

Welcome. Welcome to SonicGAF.

It's safer here.

TheOGB

Banned
edit: ^ That should be our motto :p

Welcome aboard. Great timing.

okay, what--

i, i cant. i actually cant anymore, i just... oh my lord. what a day

Tirod

Thanks for the warm welcome you guys, I appreciate it.
Giantbomb's reactions to the Call of Duty trailer dog were wonderful.

I think their reactions to the one J. Allard appearance during the entire conference was the best reaction.

Welcome to SonicGAF!

I clicked this thinking "This had better involve Ice Cube"

Close enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom