• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyFive

I was highly dissapointed by Sonic Heroes, everything about it was a clear downgrade from SA2, from the graphics, to the story, and the gameplay engine itself. Whoever decided that you should spam the B-button to grind was stupid.

Pietepiet

I was highly dissapointed by Sonic Heroes, everything about it was a clear downgrade from SA2, from the graphics, to the story, and the gameplay engine itself. Whoever decided that you should spam the B-button to grind was stupid.

For some reason I always thought it was trying to copy JSRF's grinding

Kokonoe

Banned
Team Dark has the best theme in that game. (and Metal Sonic if that counts)

I feel like going back to my playthrough I started a few weeks ago. Only played the first area but was having fun.

I actually thought that the Speed formation had far worse controls than both Sonic Adventures, especially Sonic Adventure 2.

I would like Sonic Heroes a lot more if it simply had better controls. That's the game's fatal flaw, in my eyes.

Same, such a shame they couldn't use the Adventure engine/controls since it was a multi console port and would have been too much work.

PKrockin

Honestly tapping B to grind is kind of silly, not sure why they decided to do that.

I actually thought that the Speed formation had far worse controls than both Sonic Adventures, especially Sonic Adventure 2.

I would like Sonic Heroes a lot more if it simply had better controls. That's the game's fatal flaw, in my eyes.

Really? I got stuck on walls and doors a lot in SA1 and there was some dodgy collision detection. SA2 cleaned that up quite a bit and I find Heroes to be about on the same level, just a tiny bit more precise. There also seem to be a lot fewer tiny platforms and narrow hallways, so you have a larger margin for error. I have only played part of Chaotix's story though.

WillyFive

Why can't Sonic Team just reuse and improve upon their past engines, and instead waste time and money making new ones that end up inferior to their past games?

Sonic 2006 would have been a heck of a lot better if they had just ported over the Sonic Adventure 2 gameplay engine; it was boggling seeing the snowboarding section of Sonic 2006 and how it was in every way worse than the excellent one from SA2. It didn't even work right!

Kokonoe

Banned
Why can't Sonic Team just reuse and improve upon their past engines, and instead waste time and money making new ones that end up inferior to their past games?

Sonic 2006 would have been a heck of a lot better if they had just ported over the Sonic Adventure 2 gameplay engine; it was boggling seeing the snowboarding section of Sonic 2006 and how it was in every way worse than the excellent one from SA2. It didn't even work right!

Ugh....that snowboarding in 2006....It was so confusing how it worked, especially after the adventure games where you just click A on the ramp, which is much better design. It took me forever to finally hold down the button then release on the ramp. Even if you do land it, of course it'll steer you off course but I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here.

PKrockin

Wow, I forgot about the snowboarding in 2006, that was awful.

I also liked the SA2 engine, but I was under the impression everyone hated it.

Kokonoe

Banned
I like the Sonic Heroes theme, but Phantasy Star Universe kind of killed it for me lol. Imagine a lobby that happens each year of Sonic's birthday that lasts from 1-2 months of SONNIIIIC HEEROOOOESSSSS. Not even the full song, just about like a minute of it.

Village

Wow, I forgot about the snowboarding in 2006, that was awful.

I also liked the SA2 engine, but I was under the impression everyone hated it.

Sa2 was the last 3d thing they got right until unleashed daytime.

Its like they completely forgot how weight worked for several games.

Honestly tapping B to grind is kind of silly, not sure why they decided to do that.

Really? I got stuck on walls and doors a lot in SA1 and there was some dodgy collision detection. SA2 cleaned that up quite a bit and I find Heroes to be about on the same level, just a tiny bit more precise. There also seem to be a lot fewer tiny platforms and narrow hallways, so you have a larger margin for error. I have only played part of Chaotix's story though.

See, the reason why the platforms got larger was to hide the fact that the controls sucked. Everyone felt like they were running on ice in Sonic Heroes.

For example, you could be falling straight down, then once you land your team just rockets off, with no input from you. That never happened in the Adventure games.

Sa2 was the last 3d thing they got right until unleashed daytime.

Its like they completely forgot how weight worked for several games.

This is true.

I think Sonic 06 was a simulation of what the universe would be like if physics as we know it stopped existing.

Sonic Heroes was a great idea executed poorly. It's more mediocre than outright bad, though. I actually really enjoyed it at the time.

The vocal themes are kickin' rad.

Noi

Suddenly, 6 games added to my backlog. XCOM, LBP Karting, Saints Row 3, Machinarium and Gods Eater Burst in one month. I love/hate you PS+.

who needs next gen consoles when I'm still playing current gen games

EU PS plus is almost too much at times, yesterday I finally started up that Mass Effect 3 from like 2 or 3 months ago, I didn't enjoy any of those first 40 minutes but oh well.
It's like having a timed backlog since I only bother with the three month stuff right now.

I mocked the idea when it first started with the piddly selection but i've been feasting on delicious crow for a while now.
That said it kind of makes me not want to even bother buying certain games that I think are likely to reach the service at some point.

Noi

That said it kind of makes me not want to even bother buying certain games that I think are likely to reach the service at some point.

But man, it feels so sweet when stuff pops up that you barely managed to avoid buying before. I remember people predicting the 3 new games would be Sly 4, PS All-Stars and Twisted Metal, 2 of which I already own, thankfully Sony KNEW that I'd be disappointed and gave me stuff I haven't played.

gWqFx5g.png

Lost World stuff? Ah, Yeah! This is Happenin'!

But man, it feels so sweet when stuff pops up that you barely managed to avoid buying before. I remember people predicting the 3 new games would be Sly 4, PS All-Stars and Twisted Metal, 2 of which I already own, thankfully Sony KNEW that I'd be disappointed and gave me stuff I haven't played.

Okay there's some truth to this, i've had it happen a few times and it feels good but on the day the opposite happens I will hurt badly.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Looks like I'm gonna have to buy a Wii U fo' sho' now.

Granted, I'm a little sleepy and am in need for a little nap so I could be in a NiGHTS-esque Dreamland, I dunno.

GAMERG0D

But enough about the Wii U version – let's dig into the 3DS edition of Sonic Lost World for a bit. As we revealed last time, the approach for this game is to not just push Sonic's latest adventure into 2D form, but to fully embrace 3D levels as appropriate. As in the past, Sonic Team is turning to DIMPS for development of the title. Iizuka stressed to us that the 3DS version is "not a port from the Wii U version" but features "totally new level design to match the screen size and hardware so players can enjoy both versions with a fresh feeling."
lol

Wow, the level layout/fixed camera in Windy Hill is hella disorienting. Music is great, though, although I'm still wondering why
Sonic Heroes
is the Speed Up theme.

I don't care that it's a DIMPS joint, I'm still gonna say that that 3DS version looks hot as hell.

It's nothing on the Wii U game, though. Holy christ.

Wow, the level layout/fixed camera in Windy Hill is hella disorienting. Music is great, though, although I'm still wondering why
Sonic Heroes
is the Speed Up theme.

placeholder

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I just hope I'm not gonna have to pack a ton of Gravol here to play--....

...yeah, I'm gonna have to take Gravol to play this, from what it looks like.

Wierd, since I honestly think the 3DS version looks much better than the WiiU version.
Well, there's certainly a difference between look and feel, and I kinda hope we get a demo for around E3/Sonic's birthday (lol no, probably not). That is wishful thinking on my part.

I will say that hidden cannon with the fake bottomless pit is just bullshit. At least use a ring to indicate that there's a secret down here and not falling to your death like all the other bottomless pits. Play DKC2, you fucks!

When he ran up the tree, I got a little hype

This statement applies to us both and it's not one that really sounds like it should yet here we are, excited about some tree scaling.

I will say that hidden cannon with the fake bottomless pit is just bullshit. At least use a ring to indicate that there's a secret down here and not falling to your death like all the other bottomless pits. Play DKC2, you fucks!
I knew that I would not be alone with this thought, it's in this post somewhere.

Though some fine chap has stated that the cannon is visible on the way there when the camera pans, they are correct.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm gonna respond to Nocturnowl's post here since that thread is going pretty dang fast.

Also, I'm always wary of a Dimps game. It's in my nature to be wary of a Dimps game. You guys know how much I loooooooooooove Dimps. -_-

Some thoughts on the various footage...

Wii U version
- Parkour system looks swell, pinging off walls, running up trees, hopefully this can be used creatively to create more elaborate shortcuts and such outside of the whole alternative route approach..

- Doube Jump sighted, alongside the wisps and the slower speed compared to say Generations this comes across more like a Colours follow up.

- All 3 stages shown are quite a bit different in execution, hopefully the lack of a singular focus doesn't mean that some types will be noticeably less fun to play than others.

- That shortcut in the sweet stage wasn't even hinted at by like one ring down the pit to indicate that throwing yourself down might herald a reward, this is some DKC1 shit and not superior secret placing DKC2, bad move.

- Not sure I like the idea of nabbing flickies from defeated enemies and such as they may be a bit of a pace breaker, red rings i'm always good for though.

- It looks fun but I can't help but feel like it's lacking that little extra something at the moment, still it's early stages being seen here, odds are Generations elaborate set pieces have spoilt me a bit. The actual Platforming should be up to snuff though and there's numerous alt routes shown and that matters more than the flash, I just hope they pull out some crazy platforming pieces later on.

3DS Version
- Flickies used to open certain pods in the stages.
The flickies part in both versions worries me because I was never a fan of that in Sonic 3D Blast. It broke up the pacing entirely, sometimes making levels longer than they should be.

I am not in a position to listen to the music yet, so I have no idea what it sounds like. :)

Double-jump... ehhhh... I hope it feels better than Colours'. Well, I hope they fixed that in general. Since they're using a parkour system, I hope that the mechanics are fixed with respect to double-jumping, and expanding upon moving in the environment with shortcuts in mind.

Regardless, even with the Honeycomb stage, it seems as though the game overall is slower-paced, and I get where Blaze, Arc Christelle, Village, and POTK are coming from since I feel a little wary too. I know Speed isn't completely Sonic's game, but I got a lot of thrill out of seeing that honeycomb stage more than anything else, myself. I like having a balance between the two.

The cannon bit can be revealed from another angle, but it's nice they're using some old stuff from the Genesis games.

Stage variety seems to be high, but let's see where that'll take us.

They just need to bring back Special Stages now.
There's, like, 1-2 good special stages in the entire series. D:

I'm all for special stages coming back. I wanna earn those emeralds, dammit.

Also:

IGN said:
Despite the fact that development of Lost World began before Sonic Team even knew about Wii U, support for the system's more unique features doesn't just end with GamePad support. SEGA also has plans for Miiverse, which extend beyond the obvious, standard peer-to-peer discussion and game help.

Hmm...

Phantom's right, we need to earn the fucking emeralds again. No more bullshit with Tails showing with them all shoved up his arse.

Also, Sonic CD and Sonic 3&Knuckles both have great special stages.

211qvyuvdclt3ctn.gif

Village

Phantom's right, we need to earn the fucking emeralds again. No more bullshit with Tails showing with them all shoved up his arse.

This does not come from hatred.

We just want the best for humanity.

Why do you hate humanity

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sonic CD? But it makes me feel all dizzy.

You meant Sonic Triple Trouble, yeah?

The double jump seems fine. There seems be more...forward momentum and air control when you do it. In Colors, half the time I can't even tell if I DID a double jump at all.
Yeah, looking at it now, there's finally some sense that you have some control over it vs feeling kinda... off.

The Wind Hill 3DS footage has me a bit concerned. I mean, look at this. He has trouble landing on a platform because Sonic keeps changing directions on a dime. It looks like friggin' Sonic 2K6!

Fortunately, the 3DS version actually looks fun, unlike 2K6, but what happened to Sonic's sense of weight and momentum?

Also, I'm always wary of a Dimps game. It's in my nature to be wary of a Dimps game. You guys know how much I loooooooooooove Dimps. -_-
Maybe 3D will give them a kick up the arse, maybe they can have redemption.
But yes, Dimps equal doubt.

The flickie part in both versions worries me because I was never a fan of that in Sonic 3D Blast. It broke up the pacing entirely, sometimes making levels longer than they should be.
Well we all know how I feel about 3D blast and its flickie collecting, keeping a wary eye on this whole addition.

Double-jump... ehhhh... I hope it feels better than Colours'. Well, I hope they fixed that in general. Since they're using a parkour system, I hope that the mechanics are fixed with respect to double-jumping, and expanding upon moving in the environment with shortcuts in mind.

Regardless, even with the Honeycomb stage, it seems as though the game overall is slower-paced, and I get where Blaze, Arc Christelle, Village, and POTK are coming from since I feel a little wary too. I know Speed isn't completely Sonic's game, but I got a lot of thrill out of seeing that honeycomb stage more than anything else, myself. I like having a balanced between the two.

Stage variety seems to be high, but let's see where that'll take us.
The double jump doesn't seem as momentum shifting as the Colours one but that might just be wishful thinking on my part.
The speed is a bit of a concern, maybe I've had too much Boost as of late but at times it did look a bit slow even during sections that could be sped through. Still I don't mind the odd bit of more precise platforming to break things up.

While the stage backdrops are varied and such they can look a tad too bare in parts, hopefully this wont mean the end of some of the more visually striking locations.
I'm thinking of Aquarium Park as I say this which has me wondering how they'll handle water here? maybe a 2D only thing.

There's, like, 1-2 good special stages in the entire series. D:
See i've been saying this for ages.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sorry, I only play legit Sonic games
Triple Trouble is a legit Sonic game, Coldman. >:|

The Wind Hill 3DS footage has me a bit concerned. I mean, look at this. He has trouble landing on a platform because Sonic keeps changing directions on a dime. It looks like friggin' Sonic 2K6!

Fortunately, the 3DS version actually looks fun, unlike 2K6, but what happened to Sonic's sense of weight and momentum?
3DS footage, you say? Sonic not being able to stop on a dime because he lacks weight and momentum? Dimps? Hehe. I wonder how that one's going to feel, at least. It's one thing to looks really pretty and nice, but it's another to play through the darn thing. But hey, the level design seems a little better for Dimps, at least.

At the very least, I can say that Lost Worlds has good art direction, but this is unsurprising for me, personally. I've generally like the art direction most of the games since Unleashed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom