• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez, so many people on Gaming Side making threads asking about Sonic games; why don't they just come in here and ask us instead of me having to actively avoid those threads in fear of having to read really stupid comments?

I think somebody just made a Worst Sonic Games thread

*that feel when you know half of the games in the damn franchise could make an appearance*

qq more

Hee hee hee. Seriously, I'm crackin' up here. I needed that today. Thanks.

I was about to say the same thing here. I've been cracking up non stop at a few threads tonight. Really in a good mood now!
And it's also because Emerald Ties is slowly coming back from hiatus. :O

Tizoc

Hee hee hee. Seriously, I'm crackin' up here. I needed that today. Thanks.

Gonna fight Ni no Kuni's imitation of a wind elemental Snorlax now. Why I'm still doing these fights, I will never know. Probably because I spent so much time doing them last weekend.

dsc00711lhu39.jpg
Why not just stop and go play another RPG like...Costume Quest?

I kinda think so. I think they just want to know how bad Sonic games got for a while last decade. I think renewed interest in the series is a genuine good thing, regardless of the games that they're making threads about.
...but wouldn't playing the weaker games give them a bad experience and make them hesitant to try the later better games?

And the PS3/PS2 ports probably aren't the best indicators of how Sonic handles in those game, imo. Too bad. I hope they re-release Sonic 1 iOS/Sonic 2 iOS/Sonic 3 Complete digitally on consoles and handhelds one day. That'd be great, since I like how Sonic handles in Sonic 1 iOS quite a bit with Bluestacks.

Gotcha, same sentiments regarding the iOS games too, if only Sony didn't have too much of a hard on for Indies, they'd be lenient towards more better versions of classic games on PSN (and for XBL if that were ever possible)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Blaaaaah, I can already see "all Sonic games after 3&K" being posted in there somewhere, haha.

I was about to say the same thing here. I've been cracking up non stop at a few threads tonight. Really in a good mood now!
And it's also because Emerald Ties is slowly coming back from hiatus. :O
WHOA. Wait, does that mean you guys might do something for SAGE this year, or not really? Still glad that something's kinda surfacing, though! That's a good thing.

Kinda exhausting day at the hospital for reasons I can't get into. That feel when you want to help someone but you really can't do anything at all because you don't have administrative authority.

qq more

Blaaaaah, I can already see "all Sonic games after 3&K" being posted in there somewhere, haha.

WHOA. Wait, does that mean you guys might do something for SAGE this year, or not really? Still glad that something's kinda surfacing, though! That's a good thing.

Kinda exhausting day at the hospital for reasons I can't get into. That feel when you want to help someone but you really can't do anything at all because you don't have administrative authority.

We are skipping SAGE this year. There will be no more demos so the next release will be the full game and it will be likely far from now.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Why not just stop and go play another RPG like...Costume Quest?

...but wouldn't playing the weaker games give them a bad experience and make them hesitant to try the later better games?

Gotcha, same sentiments regarding the iOS games too, if only Sony didn't have too much of a hard on for Indies, they'd be lenient towards more better versions of classic games on PSN (and for XBL if that were ever possible)
In order:

I beat Costume Quest already (a few weeks ago, actually!). Still have the DLC to go through, but I want to beat Ni no Kuni so I can write impressions about it. The plan was: Ni no Kuni -> Uncharted 1/SR3 -> Remember Me since I have to return it to my cousin -> Uncharted everything.

On them trying weaker games in the series, well, we can't control what people play, so it's completely up to their discretion as to what they would like to play. They're already interested in Sonic Lost World, which looks like a boon to some people, so I don't necessarily think that playing the weaker games in the series prior to Unleashed/Colours/Gens would deter them from purchasing Lost World.

And I think that last one is up to Sega.

We are skipping SAGE this year. There will be no more demos so the next release will be the full game and it will be likely far from now.
Well, that's a bummer. Still happy that you guys seem to be doing something.

Did you guys release the demo with the fixes from after SAGE 2012, or you're just going to truck on from here on out?

qq more

Well, that's a bummer. Still happy that you guys seem to be doing something.

Did you guys release the demo with the fixes from after SAGE 2012, or you're just going to truck on from here on out?

lol Honestly I feel that the last demo has enough levels as is.

I'll ask the team about the fixed demo. Personally, I wouldn't mind releasing it so we can get feedback on the changes,

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
My favourite NeoGAF thread got bumped for the right reasons, omg.

lol Honestly I feel that the last demo has enough levels as is.

I'll ask the team about the fixed demo. Personally, I wouldn't mind releasing it so we can get feedback on the changes,
Yeah, you guys even added your prototype stage... Sounds great if you guys could release the updated demo.

Can't remember if you said, but Polar Peak got a framerate fix, right?

I have so little faith in GAF to make a good Sonic thread without shitting it up that I will only go there if an opportunity to post the SonicGAF theme song is brought to my attention.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
But Beefy... I thought we were gonna pick a new SonicGAF theme song. :(

Yep! There's many improvements, including some tweaks in level design and proper gamepad support.
Good! I remember you saying that Sonic doesn't feel as heavy anymore.

And gamepad support sounds good. lol, I was actually playing with a keyboard back then, but now that I have a controller, this sounds good to me.

CorvoSol

I regret nothing as I go to post in that thread about how 2K6 is the worst game I have ever played in terms of mechanics.

For added fun, I will spit in the eye of all Toriyama's fans and say that S2K6's story is better than the plot to T3B and XIII-2 combined.

Yes, actually, come to think of it, I dare say that Sonic 2K6 handled Time Travel more competently than either of those games.

qq more

Good! I remember you saying that Sonic doesn't feel as heavy anymore.

And gamepad support sounds good. lol, I was actually playing with a keyboard back then, but now that I have a controller, this sounds good to me.
Yep! The physics got tweaked along with many bug fixes. Honestly, the fixed demo is almost ready to go, we just need to see if the GamePad support is fully functional.

Kokonoe

Banned
how do i shot buster

Megaman Xtreme would've been played by me, if I were not more interested in playing RPGs on the GBC. Dragon Warrior 3 was more my speed then.

I really don't suggest playing the first one, but the second one is pretty good. The first one isn't awful, it's just really mediocre compared to the sequel mechanics and music wise.

So this is a completely random and somewhat weird question, but what's everyone's favorite logo animation for a particular game/company? Had a conversation with a friend earlier today about some of the awesome stuff done with the Sega logo back during the Genesis era, and got to thinking about which ones resonates with me the most these days.

Personally, I've always been a fan of the little bit that plays when you boot up Banjo Kazooie. As far as pure nostalgia goes, I have a lot of memories associated with this particular Capcom logo intro.

Tizoc

In order:

I beat Costume Quest already (a few weeks ago, actually!). Still have the DLC to go through, but I want to beat Ni no Kuni so I can write impressions about it. The plan was: Ni no Kuni -> Uncharted 1/SR3 -> Remember Me since I have to return it to my cousin -> Uncharted everything.
I beat CQ+DLC long time ago compadre ;P

On them trying weaker games in the series, well, we can't control what people play, so it's completely up to their discretion as to what they would like to play. They're already interested in Sonic Lost World, which looks like a boon to some people, so I don't necessarily think that playing the weaker games in the series prior to Unleashed/Colours/Gens would deter them from purchasing Lost World.
Fair enough, though I normally expect people to go for the better games in a series (like how it is with Call of Juarez series for example), then again I would prob. replay FF13 again next year so....

TheOGB

Banned
So this is a completely random and somewhat weird question, but what's everyone's favorite logo animation for a particular game/company? Had a conversation with a friend earlier today about some of the awesome stuff done with the Sega logo back during the Genesis era, and got to thinking about which ones resonates with me the most these days.

Personally, I've always been a fan of the little bit that plays when you boot up Banjo Kazooie. As far as pure nostalgia goes, I have a lot of memories associated with this particular Capcom logo intro.
oh my fucking god i shed a tear every time i hear the swell of this Capcom intro

qq more

I really don't suggest playing the first one, but the second one is pretty good. The first one isn't awful, it's just really mediocre compared to the sequel mechanics and music wise.

I like that the sequel has a shop system where you can buy upgrades for X/Zero. Thought that was a real cool addition.

I went and advertised the Community thread. Here's hoping some good comes out of it.

Incoming people posting horrible Sonic fanart!

Just kidding, it won't happen... right? D:

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

As far as pure nostalgia goes, I have a lot of memories associated with this particular Capcom logo intro.
You picked mine! I loved what Sega and Capcom did back in the day. I used to get pretty hype over the Konami logos back then, too. Not too fond of it anymore, because I simply do not like the logo and they don't do anything with it anymore.

Kinda fond of the Genesis logo for Konami games with the green laser. But the purple laser for SNES games looked nice, too.

I beat CQ+DLC long time ago compadre ;P
I beat it on my Japanese PSN account, to be fair. I thought the game was remarkably meh and didn't live up to my expectations from what I'd seen of the GB quick look back then.

I went and advertised the Community thread. Here's hoping some good comes out of it.
I have my doubts.

IIncoming people posting horrible Sonic fanart!

Just kidding, it won't happen... right? D:
I hope not. I don't have the patience for it today.

Holy shit, I never even noticed the laser colors in the Konami logo were different between SNES and Genesis.

My entire childhood has been a lie

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I didn't notice it until I was a teenager, myself. Sooooo goooooood. For obvious reasons, they sound different as well. Pitch is higher in the SNES version.

iirc, the PCE had a blue laser logo. Edit: Yep.

Tizoc

I beat it on my Japanese PSN account, to be fair. I thought the game was remarkably meh and didn't live up to my expectations from what I'd seen of the GB quick look back then.

I kinda think of it as 'Current Gen Kid's first jRPG/Turn based RPG', I like the setting and ideas used and how they turned that into a jRPG game, even if the gameplay is simplistic.
I should let me nephews try it out and hope they like it enough for me to let them try out more PSX jRPGs~

Sciz

Nothing in particular jumps to mind, but I like what Ubisoft's been doing with their logo in recent years, with every game having some unique spin on it.

Oh, from a musical standpoint: Back in the day, in the period between music in PC games getting to be a Thing and before they rebranded as 3D Realms, Apogee had this intro jingle that showed up in just about every game they published. And then Duke Nukem II came along and let you know it was badass from the word go.

Noi

I always really liked the Konami take on their logo during different games. It was neat! (I was an SNES kid, so I only ever knew about the purple laser) I also kinda associate that Capcom jingle with MMX, so I hear the jingle, followed by the first few sounds you hear during the MMX "boot up" sequence, and then the theme that plays in the title screen~

During the PS1 era though, I did always love Square's thing.

bbWKR2f.jpg

No fancy animation, no nothing, but just seeing that logo meant you were bound to have a good time. Also, one of the few times I saw the logo being actively used in an animation was during the very last bit at the end of the Brave Fencer Musashi credits, and I wondered why more of their games didn't do that.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Squaresoft's logo was always unintrusive. I kinda had a similar impression of it too. It was, "Alright! Squaresoft game! I love these dudes!" I guess it meant a little more to me because I couldn't afford most of the Square games back then. Getting to experience a Square game for me back then was always such a rare treat.

Now that you mention it, I usually associated Capcom's 16-bit logo with MMX, too. Hahaha. I missed the simplicity of it, to be honest, during the PSX era. It was always just a jingle that resonated with me the most.

Nothing in particular jumps to mind, but I like what Ubisoft's been doing with their logo in recent years, with every game having some unique spin on it.
Ah, I completely forgot about this, too. I've come to enjoy that. Including the "Ubisoft Presents" stuff during game intros. Effing loved that during the Ezio games.

I also kinda associate that Capcom jingle with MMX, so I hear the jingle, followed by the first few sounds you hear during the MMX "boot up" sequence, and then the theme that plays in the title screen~

Haha, same. It's practically burned into my brain at this point.

Same with the 32-Bit Capcom logo. I can never not hear the opening notes of Breath of Fire III's title theme, or the beginning of Megaman X4's intro afterwards.

Also, one of the few times I saw the logo being actively used in an animation was during the very last bit at the end of the Brave Fencer Musashi credits, and I wondered why more of their games didn't do that.

I've always wondered that, too. Parasite Eve is the only other game I can think of that uses it that way.

Noi

Ah, I completely forgot about this, too. I've come to enjoy that. Including the "Ubisoft Presents" stuff during game intros. Effing loved that during the Ezio games.

I dig Ubisoft's logo intros! I do not, however, dig their credits. I have to make myself a sandwich every time I finish a Ubisoft game. :v

...I think the only other credits to rival Ubi in length where the Sonic Colors credits. Even making them a playable segment didn't make it any shorter!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Box of Bunnies got banned, too. Well, poop. I hope it's just for a short time. :/

I dig Ubisoft's logo intros! I do not, however, dig their credits. I have to make myself a sandwich every time I finish a Ubisoft game. :v

...I think the only other credits to rival Ubi in length where the Sonic Colors credits. Even making them a playable segment didn't make it any shorter!
When AC3's credits rolled, I didn't give any craps about 'em. I think I just turned around and started writing stuff about how much I didn't like the game along the lines of "why the hell are these credits like 20 minutes did everyone at Ubi including the custodial staff work on the game".

But yeah, Ubi's intro logos? Fuck yes. But the stuff at load up is really great, as Sciz mentioned. I enjoy watching this stuff. Gives some sort of individuality to the game. The Rayman Origins one was cute.

I kinda wished that doing well during Sonic Colours' credits would allow for some neat thing like during DMC3's credits. Oh well.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm catching up on Gaming Side, so I regrettably didn't notice why. It's been a long time since I've read threads in-full over there.

When AssCreed3's credits were rolling, I was looking for something...ANYTHING...to redeem the game in my eyes. Nothing came.
It's too bad because you were kinda enjoying it until it went completely to hell during the ending bits. You were telling me not to engage in fist fights with brutes, but I didn't listen.

I wish I didn't feel apathetic towards AC4, but the glitchy mess that is AC3 ended up doing that for me anyway + that ending. Shame.

qq more

I don't think it was the sarcasm that got him banned. I'm pretty sure he said something offensive in that post that got him banned... judging by the reactions.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't think it was the sarcasm that got him banned. I'm pretty sure he said something offensive in that post that got him banned... judging by the reactions.
Considering the ToS got bumped and revised recently, yes. Zero-tolerance policy, regardless of context.

Noi

I wish I didn't feel apathetic towards AC4, but the glitchy mess that is AC3 ended up doing that for me anyway + that ending. Shame.

Lest we forget that the AC4 demo at Sony's conference froze not once, but twice! That's how we know it was really gameplay~

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I personally love the "Gators Gonna Hate" one, myself. :p

Lest we forget that the AC4 demo at Sony's conference froze not once, but twice! That's how we know it was really gameplay~
I totally remember nothing about that AC4 demo because I wasn't paying attention at all. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom