• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noi

It's definitely not worse than Ni no Kuni. It could use some more variety on things to do, but hey, BANPRESTO.

Edit: I've gotten a grand total of 2 streetpasses during my whole Canada trip. Not impressed with you, Canada!

WiR was awesome throughout, I don't know what you guys are talking about. We didn't really need those references to keep showing up, it isn't what the movie is about.

To each their own, I guess. I dunno, when my ..bf... (lordy, I dunno what to call him anymore) I saw it and then discussed it in the dessert cafe, we just felt like the movie fell short towards the end. I mean, it's good, just... eh. I felt something was missing from it.

My main problem was that in the first half, I wasn't really paying attention to the story because I was distracted by all the references because there were so many in a single scene (i.e. when Ralph is in the bar before he goes to Hero's Duty) . When they disappeared in the second half, not only was it not as funny anymore, but I kinda felt I was lost and it took me a while to remember what was going on. Had they spread out the references evenly throughout the whole movie, I would've been able to pay attention to both them and the story equally.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I dunno. Its repetition and sameyness just makes me not want to play it anymore. And there's not really an overarching narrative to follow (because it's a crossover game; they all go the same way), so I don't feel like I'm going to achieve some sort of narrative revelation by reaching the end.

We'll see.

I still don't get it...just what was missing from it? What were you expecting/what were you wanting from the latter half?
Er, I honestly don't remember what it was that I just felt was lacking, but I just felt like it was lacking something in general. In hindsight, I don't think I liked some of the original characters, to be honest. I felt the animations were really really good, though.

You know, I wonder if it's because I felt the movie lacked substance. Mind you, I'm someone who goes for action movies/comedies/buddy cop movies, so I'm not one to talk about dramas and movies that make you think and all that other junk. But there's this quality to other kids' films like Disney stuff, Finding Nemo, Toy Story, etc, that found incredibly endearing, but here I just felt... something was missing from it.

Remember when Schala pretended to like JRPGs

Also, Beef hasn't updated us on SonicGAF's quest through FF7. He's either already facing down Jenova or he's failed utterly in the chocobo minigame

My main problem was that in the first half, I wasn't really paying attention to the story because I was distracted by all the references because there were so many in a single scene (i.e. when Ralph is in the bar before he goes to Hero's Duty) . When they disappeared in the second half, not only was it not as funny anymore, but I kinda felt I was lost and it took me a while to remember what was going on. Had they spread out the references evenly throughout the whole movie, I would've been able to pay attention to both them and the story equally.

I can agree there might be a little sensory overload there but it seems like that's something you should be able to watch over and over again to catch all the references, makes it more fun that way. If you focus too much on everything, you aren't able to enjoy it as well.

I dunno. Its repetition and sameyness just makes me not want to play it anymore. And there's not really an overarching narrative to follow (because it's a crossover game; they all go the same way), so I don't feel like I'm going to achieve some sort of narrative revelation by reaching the end.

We'll see.

Er, I honestly don't remember what it was that I just felt was lacking, but I just felt like it was lacking something in general. In hindsight, I don't think I liked some of the original characters, to be honest. I felt the animations were really really good, though.

You know, I wonder if it's because I felt the movie lacked substance. Mind you, I'm someone who goes for action movies/comedies/buddy cop movies, so I'm not one to talk about dramas and movies that make you think and all that other junk. But there's this quality to other kids' films like Disney stuff, Finding Nemo, Toy Story, etc, that found incredibly endearing, but here I just felt... something was missing from it.

So then what original characters didn't you like and why? I think the quality is still there, certainly up there with Pixar's efforts. At least WiR doesn't try to tug to hard at the heart strings like Pixar is kinda prone to do.

Noi

Doesn't try to? But that's the whole point of
Ralph crushes Vanelope's car
scene.

I think spending so long in the Sugar Rush section of the movie hurts it a bit. There were a few points there where I was kinda hoping they'd "get to the point" sooner.

(I did struggle to think of other good Sega games, though. He really hated Generations when I bought it for him, so Colors is probably similarly out - and outside of Sonic games, what do we have? Valkyria Chronicles? Yakuza? Binary Domain?)

There's Bayonetta and other developed Platinum games published by Sega, if those count.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I didn't like Vanelope much outside of the bits where the writing had you sympathize with her, and I thought Ralph was kind of a dick sometimes. The Glee lady's character felt by-the-numbers in a "tough girl" archetype sense, and Fix-It was probably my best-liked character because he was generally bashful.

scene.

I think spending so long in the Sugar Rush section of the movie hurts it a bit. There were a few points there where I was kinda hoping they'd "get to the point" sooner.
Yeah, it really knocked the pacing off for me; sometimes I really did feel that they should've gotten to the point sooner rather than later.

Y'all acting like I didn't like the movie when I did? I just said it felt lacking.

scene.

Which is the same as the entirety of some of the Pixar films like Finding Nemo or Wall E or perhaps even Toy Story/2, right?

I thought the Sugar Rush bit was fine, I would have loved for them to add more to the world but Sugar Rush was good as a whole. I mean Ralph's world was eh...and Hero's Duty is just too familiar with other movie settings.

EDIT: I don't see why you need to get defensive, this is a discussion.

You don't care much for Vanellope...I think she was written well...she's supposed to be a brat but she's a funny one and a charming kid. Ralph isn't that much of a jerk and at least he's remorseful for his actions. Calhoun is a by the numbers tough girl but she's funny and well written. I generally was laughing at a lot of stuff she said. At least we agree on Felix.

So that project I mentioned. I was thinking about having SonicGAF review all of the Sonic games listed in the OP. Not all at once, but in chunks. Maybe make a thread about it too, so people can have a frame of reference. This idea is completely in the pre-alpha stages, though.
Even moreso than the finished copies of Sonic 06, nyuk nyuk nyuk.
Any sort of helpful ideas are more than welcome.

I do wanna keep this idea "in-house" though. I don't really know how to make that not sound so inclusive, but I'd rather have the people involved in this be people who regularly come into the thread rather than someone who has just been lurking and/or someone who hasn't been involved at all.

And if you are lurking, then make a post already. >:|
Also, Beef hasn't updated us on SonicGAF's quest through FF7. He's either already facing down Jenova or he's failed utterly in the chocobo minigame

I haven't played since qq more died and I made it to Great Glacier Inn or whatever that town is called right before you play 240p 1080 Snowboarding. The grief from losing qq more has been so painful.

Actually, I had to help a friend beat the Luigi DLC for NSMBU...and help him play Mega Man X for the first time.

OMG Aero

So that project I mentioned. I was thinking about having SonicGAF review all of the Sonic games listed in the OP. Not all at once, but in chunks. Maybe make a thread about it too, so people can have a frame of reference.
If you make a separate thread I sure hope you like seeing people disregard every review this isn't either positive for the Mega Drive games or negative for every game after that.

We're going to have to draw straws for 06 and Chronicles, I assume.
Me and Schala have already played it, so that's two people already!
If you make a separate thread I sure hope you like seeing people disregard every review this isn't either positive for the Mega Drive games or negative for every game after that.
Well we're not getting paid for this, so I can at least throw that back on them.

Sciz

It's... kind of an issue that WiR spent so much time making candy jokes instead of exploring its own theme further, but it worked for the plot they had. It was a much more character-driven story with a tighter focus than the previews let on.

hmmm, I guess it would be Wreck it Ralph, though I was fond of Aladdin as well. If Pixar counts, I really liked A Bug's Life

I haven't seen Wreck It Ralph yet, but what's everyone's favorite Disney movie?

Mulan is the best!

Mulan is a fine choice, I liked it a lot too.

qq more

Coincidentally I'm actually going to rewatch Mulan with a friend soon. It's been years since I last watched it but I remember that being one of the best Disney movies.

Toy Story is also one of my favorites too.

Excluding Pixar stuff:

- Fantasia
- The Rescuers
- Fantasia 2000
- The Great Mouse Detective

Both Fantasia movies are pretty much my favorite animated movies ever. Both are pretty amazing audio/visual experiences.

BlackJace

Fantasia blew my fucking mind to minuscule pieces. I don't think anything will ever compare.

Also, I tend to separate Disney and Pixar. If you ask me what my fav Pixar film is, it is without a shred of doubt, The Incredibles.

Mulan is the best!

The Nightmare Before Christmas. Or Aladdin. Orrrrr The Lion King. I'm not picky. Classic Disney was classic, k.

My favorite Pixar film is The Incredibles, followed by Up.

It's okay guys, I'll keep updating my Chrono Trigger progress that I haven't been updating, cause I'm gonna go run off and play it now.

So like, last time I played Coldman, Noi, and I all ganged up on Seven Force and beat him to a bloody pulp. :} Also I killed qq flea. Now I'm back in the prehistoric era and Meccanical wants to have Coldman for dinner.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Beef and I already talked about the idea he has juggling around, and I think it's a good idea so far. We'll just see how to approach it in the long run.

I tend to separate Disney and Pixar, myself.

Um.
  • The Fox and the Hound
  • The Great Mouse Detective
  • Sleeping Beauty
  • Tangled
  • Lady and the Tramp
  • The Little Mermaid
  • The Lion King
  • Beauty and the Beast

I can't pick a favourite, though I'm leaning towards The Lion King or Sleeping Beauty or Beauty and the Beast for that. I don't want to watch Aladdin anymore. I was a sucker for Disney princess movies. I liked 'em, and I don't really care what people who say that the princesses are poison for children have to say. Disney songs are generally prime picks for audition songs and recital songs. While I did a lot of songs from musicals themselves, a lot of the easier, off-the-cuff, and generally easy songs to try to make your own are Disney songs. Part of Your World, Beauty and the Beast, Once Upon A Dream, etc. Beauty and the Beast was probably the last Disney song I used before I switched to something from Phantom of the Opera.

And oh man, now you guys got me remembering The Magical World of Disney. Now I feel old.

My favourite Pixar film is probably Up. It makes me cry.

EDIT: I don't see why you need to get defensive, this is a discussion.
I'm not; I don't think there's much to discuss in substantive detail, so I'm not sure how to answer some of your questions sometimes. Like I've said before, outside of action/comedies/buddy cop movies, I don't really watch movies all that much. Either I like it, just think it's okay, or don't.

WiR just fits into "it's alright but nothing super-special".

So that project I mentioned. I was thinking about having SonicGAF review all of the Sonic games listed in the OP. Not all at once, but in chunks. Maybe make a thread about it too, so people can have a frame of reference. This idea is completely in the pre-alpha stages, though.

I do wanna keep this idea "in-house" though. I don't really know how to make that not sound so inclusive, but I'd rather have the people involved in this be people who regularly come into the thread rather than someone who has just been lurking and/or someone who hasn't been involved at all.

And if you are lurking, then make a post already. >:|

Do we get to pick games? I call Unleashed.

OMG Aero

Mulan is the best!
If Pixar counts then Wall-E.

If Pixar doesn't count then fuck that I'm still picking Wall-E.
uVDbGGb.jpg

:3

I was thinking that towards the release of Lost World we have the participants of this thread play through the majority of the Sonic series just because, this idea is pretty similar so i'm game for it.
Everyone should get one good game and one bad game to review, now granted the mediocre to bad side of the scale tends to outweigh the great to good side but there should be a close enough balance in there.

Random game musing of the day: I replayed Sin and Punishment 2 this week using Kachi and just finished earlier, I never want to use her again with that fiddly lock on, Isa is like ten times more enjoyable to play as as far as i'm concerned.

PKrockin

I was thinking that towards the release of Lost World we have the participants of this thread play through the majority of the Sonic series just because, this idea is pretty similar so i'm game for it.
Everyone should get one good game and one bad game to review, now granted the mediocre to bad side of the scale tends to outweigh the great to good side but there should be a close enough balance in there.
I'd be down for this except I just marathoned like a dozen Sonic games these last few months. Or... I could go for Sonic Advance 1-3
and Sonic 1 GBA lol

Let's see what you got, Dimps

lol I have like 6 Chaos cards equipped.
I can't believe they thought Chaos was anywhere near balanced.
It's probably been a decade since I played it, but yeah, it was not a well-balanced game.

I know someone that actually prefers the GBA rendition of Marble Zone. Said they liked the more pronounced melody or some silly shit like that. :lol

I'm climbing the Northern Crater in FF7 now (the Disc 2 version). Schala saw me and JC doing Enemy Skills, so she wanted to use them too. Now we have to go back after the cliffs area is done and teach her everything all over again. :|

Kokonoe

Banned
I need more Ripple Dot Zero, I keep replaying it over and over. Such a lovely platformer with a surprising amount of polish, and it's free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom