• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

qq more

Multiplayer was interesting in concept but boy is it ever so flawed in execution. You'll see when you get to the boss fights and airplane levels. Wouldn't mind if they attempt it again but with a much better execution.

Aren't Sonic CD's controls exactly the same as the Genesis titles...? I understand the hate for the level design though, it's pretty different and kind of goes in a different direction. Personally I didn't mind the level design... except for Wacky Workbench. No one likes Wacky Workbench.

Multiplayer was interesting in concept but boy is it ever so flawed in execution. You'll see when you get to the boss fights and airplane levels. Wouldn't mind if they attempt it again but with a much better execution.

Aren't Sonic CD's controls exactly the same as the Genesis titles...?

The spin dash was flawed as fuck, and half assed, they had to replace the sprites with the Sonic 2 version in the remake so maybe it's more responsive. To me the only appealing thing about Sonic CD was the Super Peel Out. Which I guess was their way of encouraging you to use it.

qq more

The spin dash was flawed as fuck, and half assed, they had to replace the sprites with the Sonic 2 version in the remake so maybe it's more responsive. To me the only appealing thing about Sonic CD was the Super Peel Out. Which I guess was their way of encouraging you to use it.

Oh yeah, the remake fixes the Spindash. In all fairness, Sonic CD was made around the same time as Sonic 2 with a different team, which explains why the spindash was different (and inferior) in the original version of CD.

I kind of miss the Peel Out. I wonder why they never kept it?

Oh yeah, the remake fixes the Spindash. In all fairness, Sonic CD was made around the same time as Sonic 2 with a different team, which explains why the spindash was different (and inferior) in the original version of CD.

I kind of miss the Peel Out. I wonder why they never kept it?

True.

Theyr'e trying to bring it back with Sonic Lost World, So plenty of fans can look forward to that, especially the ones who aren't fans of the speed from the past few games. (Q_Q) but I hope the third title will be a return to that gameplay.......and maybe multiplayer. I forgot, SEGA Forums also wished me a Happy Birthday. Shit felt good.

I'm so lonely.

EDIT: I remember this weird ass spot in Palmtree Panic that's like an incline that Sonic just suddenly gets stuck in for no reason, as if his foot got caught in some bullshit.

qq more

True.

Theyr'e trying to bring it back with Sonic Lost World, So plenty of fans can look forward to that, especially the ones who aren't fans of the speed from the past few games. (Q_Q) but I hope the third title will be a return to that gameplay.......and maybe multiplayer. I forgot, SEGA Forums also wished me a Happy Birthday. Shit felt good.

I'm so lonely.

Happy Birthday dude!

Also by "that gameplay" you mean the Unleashed/Colors/Generations gameplay? Yeah, I wouldn't mind if that returns either, the gameplay was very exciting in 60fps. Lost Worlds looks pretty fun I have to say though.

I always found it weird that Sonic Chaos and Triple Trouble were the only two games post CD to implement anything resembling the Peel-Out. Giving it the first few frames invincibility in Triple Trouble was a neat idea, too. Too bad the game's physics kind of stifled any possible creative uses of it.

Happy Birthday dude!

Also by "that gameplay" you mean the Unleashed/Colors/Generations gameplay? Yeah, I wouldn't mind if that returns either, the gameplay was very exciting in 60fps. Lost Worlds looks pretty fun I have to say though.

Thanks! I appreciate it!

Yeah, I love the fast paced adrenaline rush from the recent games, it felt like that something special that clicked with the character of Sonic and his best traits while also defining the gameplay as a platformer.

Lost Worlds looks unique and interesting, I saw them handing out S Ranks tho... I don't like that shit. lol Generations kept giving me S's while I stumbled through stages, I felt like some bitch ass kid at a junior soccer game.

"EVERYBODY WINS TODAY!"

PKrockin

It's strange how you lament the slower gameplay of Lost World while putting Sonic CD above Sonic 4. Sonic 4 was incredibly slow, and only might have felt fast because the camera was way too close. I play Super Mario Bros 3 faster :p

And yeah the port changes the spin dash and physics back to how they were in the other Genesis games.

It's strange how you lament the slower gameplay of Lost World while putting Sonic CD above Sonic 4. Sonic 4 was incredibly slow, and only might have felt fast because the camera was way too close. I play Super Mario Bros 3 faster :p

And yeah the port changes the spin dash and physics back to how they were in the other Genesis games.

Don't forget the smooth level design also makes it feel fast paced.

2D Sonic I don't mind the usual pacing (Even though I loved Rush and wish 3D Sonic's trick system was more natural and free), 3D Sonic that speed is like crack. I need that shit in my life.

EDIT:
Do a perfect run on Cool Edge while bumping some DnB (most likely a Danny Byrd or Brookes Brothers track) , or Apotos while listening to L'Arc en Ciel's Existence (used to bump that back in the day) and I swear it feels so good.

Guess Who

Banned
I play the Sonic CD remake with the original spindash
EtEs83z.gif

Mainly because it also restores the original camera, where if you're going fast, the camera pans ahead so you can see further ahead of you. Particularly useful in the Metal Sonic fight.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
A friend of mine got me the most fucked up present ever just now for my birthday.
*Ahem*

YOU GET A CAKE.

normal_127676273149aya.jpg

Happy birthday! :)

EtEs83z.gif

Mainly because it also restores the original camera, where if you're going fast, the camera pans ahead so you can see further ahead of you. Particularly useful in the Metal Sonic fight.
Same. I can't use the other spindash at all because of the same reason.

Noi

I ate $2 tacos in Vegas!

Ono walked by us twice. He was wearing the weirdest blue with neon red laced sneakers.

*Ahem*

YOU GET A CAKE.

normal_127676273149aya.jpg

Happy birthday! :)

Same. I can't use the other spindash at all because of the same reason.

pWKT6.gif

Oh shit!!! Thank you Schala! Much Love!

EtEs83z.gif

Y'all are some gangstas. lol I wish my internet connection was half decent, maybe I'll download Steam on my cuzzo's laptop so I can do a stream of my suffering through Sonic CD because I love you guys. lol

PKrockin

EtEs83z.gif

Woah, I didn't realize that. I'll have to give it a shot. I never rev up the spin dash anyway.

EtEs83z.gif

I always had the slightest feeling that the Metal Sonic race was a little trickier than I remembered the last time I played CD, but just attributed that to being rusty. This explains everything.

OMG Aero

I always found it weird that Sonic Chaos and Triple Trouble were the only two games post CD to implement anything resembling the Peel-Out. Giving it the first few frames invincibility in Triple Trouble was a neat idea, too. Too bad the game's physics kind of stifled any possible creative uses of it.
The peel out is a dumb idea that shouldn't be in a Sonic game.
In Sonic CD the spindash was nerfed a bit because you don't go as fast as the spindash in other games, so the idea was that you use the peel out to go a lot faster but then the downside to that is you aren't in a ball so you are more vulnerable. However you can instantly press down after using the peel out to go into a ball anyway which makes it just the same as the spindash from the other games but now you need to press an extra button.

There is literally no reason for the peel out to exist.

Currently playing through the first stage of Sonic 4 Ep 2 and loving it. The scenery is so beautiful, and there are a lot to the stage to explore if you want to step out side of the "direction". The music ain't half bad either (or maybe I just got used to listening to Sonic 4's style of music. But I am liking it.)

Edit:

Just finished my first Special Stage and got a Chaos Emerald. The first two rounds were easy as shit (though I liked the Special Stage design because it reminded me of Sonic 3D Blast. The third round surprised me lol, I started getting shocked by those random ass obstacles.) I'm having fun.

ACT 2: Aw man, I can't disarm the arrow shooting heads. :(
Dat Inhale Oxygen animation is dangerous. lol

Special Stage 2 - Eh heheh. I fucked up. second round difficulty spike. Good.

ACT 3: That Song..... so good. -Kyle Hyde approval nod- I found myself abusing the tag system a lot to get by, when I got to the twisting part I was coming from a descent and went straight down, had to recover with Tails Quickly. Sucks that its so easy to lose momentum with the Team Spindash but it didn't bring down my enjoyment.

Boss: Hmm so they give me 50 rings now? I guess they want me to experience the joys of whooping Eggman's ass while in Super Form.
Random spike pillar, dodged....

Alright no big- the fuck is this?

So they try to encourage you to use the copter, that's cool., The team attacks have a short invincibility right after being used, which I could use to my advantage.

Final Edit:

Made it to White Park. I really appreciate this game. I'd like to think one of my closest friends Xue King of Beasts aka "IggyDaFool" for gifting it to me. Today's been pretty special to me, I haven't felt this special in years man. It reminds cynics like me to appreciate your friends, and there's always good people in the world. Thanks man.

-looks at Sonic CD-

Sometimes they do fucked up things. But the love is always there, he even knew how fucked up it was as he did it. That's my nig. Wouldn't have it any other way.

-looks at Sonic CD-

-turns Sonic CD around-

|:D

Psxphile

Is there a patch for adding the lyrics to the taxman Sonic CD PC port?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCzcHcDXfUw

An enhanced version of Sonic CD was released for PC on January 19, 2012. This port features both the original Japanese/European soundtrack and the American soundtrack. However, both "Sonic - You Can Do Anything" and "Cosmic Eternity - Believe in Yourself" have been replaced by instrumental versions of their respective songs as the rights to the lyrics belonged to Casey Rankin, who died in 2009. I have modified the first audio track from the videos to include the original version of both songs.

Opening - 0:03
Bad Ending - 1:40
Good Ending - 5:20

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?a0l3uqbzv8o...
Password: toottoot

Just copy these files in the "videos" folder on your Sonic CD installation path. You may want to make a backup copy of the original files beforehand. The second audio track (North American Soundtrack) was left intact.

First one I found. I don't have the PC port so I can't vouch for this but the video should be proof enough that it works.

Personally, I liked Keiko's original recording for Sonic - You Can Do Anything on the Mega CD version more. S'wild.

PKrockin

You know, while I was sick and off work I played Animal Crossing New Leaf every day. I didn't enjoy it, but I felt like I had all the time in the world so I played it. Now that I'm back to work and my time has become valuable like a healthy human being again I have absolutely no desire to play it. I no longer give a shit if my flowers die, my fossils go undiscovered, and today's potentially good furniture is lost. I've got more important things to do than worry about Blathers's shitty museum or dance by myself at an eternally empty club, and when I'm done I want to play something fun.

It's just a time waster. Funny, though, how when that sentiment is aimed at Brawl's or Sonic Unleashed's long, repetitive levels it's disparaging yet toward Animal Crossing it's praise. Possibly because Brawl and Unleashed are designed and expected to be fun whereas Animal Crossing isn't.

It's the kind of game you play at your own pace...it's more relaxing that way. Also helps if you are a fan of games like Harvest Moon. I can't wait to play it more on a daily basis.

We're all a bunch of silly but harmless people!

Don't lie. You are the most dangerous person alive.

So when I get around to depositing my check I will finally bite the bullet and buy Sonic Generations off Steam. I noticed yesterday they had this huge Sonic package deal with a ton of Sonic games including Generations and All Stars Racing Transformed for sale for $15 (which is the same price as Generations by itself), but now it is back to $30. :/

Also craaaap they have Ys I & II Chronicles + on sale for $5. *purchases*

Tiny bit let down by the Sonic CD PC port because its performance seems to be locked to your monitor's refresh rate

I normally have my refresh rate cranked to 85hz or so, because I find it helps with eye strain. So Sonic CD was running at like, 115% speed - just fast enough for me to go, "Wait, something looks weird."

Thankfully the Catalyst Control Panel has a feature to override the refresh rate of full-screen applications that use Direct X or OpenGL so I just said to force it to 60hz, but I worry that it might mess a game up down the line.

Probably not, though.

The PC port of Sonic Adventure 2 is the same way, too.

Hmm, so a lot of people are guessing that the next arc after the Worlds Collide series is gonna be an adoption of Unleashed's storyline into the canon. As long as Professor Pickle shows up, I'm fine with that.

PKrockin

It's the kind of game you play at your own pace...it's more relaxing that way. Also helps if you are a fan of games like Harvest Moon. I can't wait to play it more on a daily basis.
Chores aren't relaxing. Chores are annoying. Chores with deadlines that interfere with my real life are even more annoying. Visual novels are far more relaxing.

Chores aren't relaxing. Chores are annoying. Chores with deadlines that interfere with my real life are even more annoying. Visual novels are far more relaxing.

It's fine if you don't like it but deadlines and AC don't exist together...it's a game you play at your own pace.

PKrockin

It's fine if you don't like it but deadlines and AC don't exist together...it's a game you play at your own pace.
The shop closing times are deadlines. My flowers have deadlines. My turnips have deadlines. KK Slider has a deadline. Redd, Katrina, etc. have deadlines. The holiday events have deadlines. The fetch quests have deadlines. The visits have deadlines. The fossils and gyroids have deadlines. The bugs and fish have deadlines. My neighbors' sleeping schedules are deadlines.

OMG Aero

The shop closing times are deadlines. My flowers have deadlines. My turnips have deadlines. KK Slider has a deadline. Redd, Katrina, etc. have deadlines. The holiday events have deadlines. The fetch quests have deadlines. The visits have deadlines. The fossils and gyroids have deadlines. The bugs and fish have deadlines. My neighbors' sleeping schedules are deadlines.
They are only deadlines if you consider them to be. Aside from holiday events everything mentioned can either be on the next day or next week.
Animal Crossing is way more fun if you don't minmax the game and try to do everything and just relax. So you missed buying/selling something at a shop or you missed K.K. Slider, who gives a shit? The game isn't going anywhere and there is no penalty, try again next time.

MAtgS

Sally's wearing clothes. Rotor's wearing shoes. Bunnie's wearing gloves (and probably boots/shoes, too, but that half of her body's obscured). Antoine's apparently wearing a friggin' toga.

What the hell's goin' on in Archie land? Everything I thought I knew is wrong!
That voice in the back of my head won't shut up about it meaning they're being prepared for inclusion into future games. My perpetual hopefulness can be a pain to live with sometimes.

OMG Aero

That voice in the back of my head won't shut up about it meaning they're being prepared for inclusion into future games. My perpetual hopefulness can be a pain to live with sometimes.
I am done with Sonic if they add those dumb satam characters.

I don't have an issue of they want to add the likes of Boomer, Sally, Bunnie and Antoine to Sonic...as long as they don't suck and they at least add something. I'll be happy if they use Marine some more, amusing brat she was.

And Mighty and Ray need to return.

TheOGB

Banned
wat pls no that's weird

I like their new looks from what we can see, buuuuuuut that'd be weird

I'd definitely have a problem with them using SatAM characters in the games, but it's not really the characters themselves I have a problem with, moreso the fact that they'd bring the baggage of the SatAM continuity with them, which I honestly hate and believe that it's a miracle that Archie actually does interesting things with it.

I'd definitely have a problem with them using SatAM characters in the games, but it's not really the characters themselves I have a problem with, moreso the fact that they'd bring the baggage of the SatAM continuity with them, which I honestly hate and believe that it's a miracle that Archie actually does interesting things with it.

Who's to say they would bring all that continuity in? What if they just kept it simple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom