• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOGB

Banned
If they bring the whole crew that'd just make the cast even more useless, wouldn't it? I would think it'd take quite a bit of effort to make them co-exist in the games like they do in the comics, more effort than Sega would be willing to make.

Who's to say they would bring all that continuity in? What if they just kept it simple?

It's not just them bringing over the continuity, but also people complaining about them bringing over the characters and not the continuity that's also a problem. I remember when I was playing Colours for the first time and got to the cutscene where Eggman said "Sonic's World" (as opposed to Unleashed, which they just called it "the planet" everything they spoke about it) and knew that people would start complaining about it, which I was unfortunately right about. It's also one of the reasons I dislike Chronicles so much (which I think SEGA and EA are also getting in legal trouble over).

It's best just not to bring it over at all then to bring over some and complain about them not going full hog over it. Besides, we don't need new characters anyway, the extended cast of Generations is probably all we're going to see from now on.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That voice in the back of my head won't shut up about it meaning they're being prepared for inclusion into future games. My perpetual hopefulness can be a pain to live with sometimes.
I don't think Sega of Japan even gives a full two hoots about those characters anyway to include them at all.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
What was it from the demo you didn't like?
Camera felt way to zoomed in which made 2d Sonic seem real hard ta get a hang of. Dun remember if I even played the 3d demo at this point.

Though you should've picked up Sonic Colours too, Lindsay. :p
I dun got the mandatory waggle console! Needs an hd PS3 port or maybe a 3DS one? Worked well for DKCR!

Yo, Bully is a much more fun game than I remembered! I just picked it up for 3.74 on Steam. I forgot about the bitchin soundtrack.
For reals! Each time I listen to the soundtrack or hear about the game I just wanna drop everything and give it the long awaited second playthrough it so deserves!

PKrockin

I watched Satam and read the comics a little when I was a kid, but I fon't know what including those characters in the games would add.

They are only deadlines if you consider them to be. Aside from holiday events everything mentioned can either be on the next day or next week.
Animal Crossing is way more fun if you don't minmax the game and try to do everything and just relax. So you missed buying/selling something at a shop or you missed K.K. Slider, who gives a shit? The game isn't going anywhere and there is no penalty, try again next time.
Yes, they are deadlines. This is beside the point anyway. I play hundreds of relaxing games. Skyward Sword, Gravity Rush, Virtue's Last Reward, Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Rhythm Thief to name a few recent ones. The difference is they have fun gameplay. This is just boring. Except when one of the villagers says something amusing, I guess.

Perhaps SEGA of America just wanted the characters to have more visual continuity with the games. If they were ever bring them in to the game continuity, I'd rather bring back the rest of the forgotten characters from the earlier (pre-DC) years.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
New Leaf honestly reminds me of Dark Cloud without the in-depth customization (ie: in Dark Cloud, people tell you where they want houses to be, or where in the city they want their houses to be, who they don't like and who they want to be away from, etc.). You just have to pay money to do anything as opposed to finding Georama pieces and setting the houses and stuff. Right down the tile laying, too. It really does remind me of Dark Cloud.

I can imagine that it's far more multiplayer-focused than your standard Harvest Moon game. And multiplayer must be fun.

I'm saying this because I was reading this Gamasutra article equating the game to an RPG, especially with the whole "bells = EXP" sort of thing.

OMG Aero

Yes, they are deadlines. This is beside the point anyway. I play hundreds of relaxing games. Skyward Sword, Gravity Rush, Virtue's Last Reward, Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Rhythm Thief to name a few recent ones. The difference is they have fun gameplay. This is just boring. Except when one of the villagers says something amusing, I guess.
That's just, like, your opinion, man.

New Leaf honestly reminds me of Dark Cloud without the in-depth customization (ie: in Dark Cloud, people tell you where they want houses to be, or where in the city they want their houses to be, who they don't like and who they want to be away from, etc.). You just have to pay money to do anything as opposed to finding Georama pieces and setting the houses and stuff. Right down the tile laying, too. It really does remind me of Dark Cloud.

I can imagine that it's far more multiplayer-focused than your standard Harvest Moon game. And multiplayer must be fun.

I'm saying this because I was reading this Gamasutra article equating the game to an RPG, especially with the whole "bells = EXP" sort of thing.

It would be like that but Dark Cloud 2 had some really annoying enemies to fight...ugh

Animal Crossing is one of the worst video game franchises created in the past 20 years. And that's all I have to say about this topic.
wtzgU.gif

PKrockin

Looks like someone didn't play ACNL with friends

Also ACNL > any game on PS2 ever
I did. Not online, because apparently my router hates this game specifically, but locally. Anything is fun with friends... the question is whether it's more fun than other multiplayer games we could be playing instead. Nintendo Land beats the shit out of New Leaf in that regard, even its subpar Animal Crossing themed minigame is more fun than the real game's multiplayer.

OMG Aero

If you really think watering flowers and playing the simplest, most shallow fishing minigame in existence for the five thousandth time is fun, more power to you.
I hardly ever do that stuff because, as I said, Animal Crossing is way more fun if you do whatever you like to do and not try to do everything. Don't like watering flowers or fishing? Then don't do it.

Toparaman

Banned
I'm downloading Sonic Adventure (1) on PSN now. I'm not expecting an amazing game or anything, just some colorful fun. I think I'll be able to take the glitches and bad animation in good humor.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Also ACNL > any game on PS2 ever
Someone didn't play Persona 4, Digital Devil Saga, Suikoden V, or Devil May Cry 3: SE, or FFX-2. >:|

It would be like that but Dark Cloud 2 had some really annoying enemies to fight...ugh
I actually have never gotten the chance to play Dark Cloud 2. It was hard to find a copy when I'd wanted to play it. -_-

I heard it was much better than the original.

I'm downloading Sonic Adventure (1) on PSN now. I'm not expecting an amazing game or anything, just some colorful fun. I think I'll be able to take the glitches and bad animation in good humor.
Oh, the bad animation. That's probably my favourite part of the game. :)

And give the music a fighting chance. I recently discovered that... Sciz... was... right about the music.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Everyone is forgetting with an exception of some series, I'm not huge into RPGs...
Mr. Platformer, I guess. Buncha Ratchet & Clank games. Sly. Games not Jak II. Psychonauts. Klonoa 2.

Devil May Cry 3:SE isn't an RPG! It's an action game. Like Bayonetta 2.

To be fair, I guess the PS2 was an RPG-player's haven. I loved that machine dearly.

PKrockin

Everyone is forgetting with an exception of some series, I'm not huge into RPGs...

RE4 was released on the PS2. Your argument is invalid.

I hardly ever do that stuff because, as I said, Animal Crossing is way more fun if you do whatever you like to do and not try to do everything. Don't like watering flowers or fishing? Then don't do it.
You're right. If it's not fun, I won't do it. There's nothing fun about this game so I won't play it.

It definitely has not aged well but I did get a lot of laughs out of the cutscenes, and, as always, I enjoyed the music.

Anyone else think it's strange how Sonic has slowly distanced himself from his signature ability of rolling into a ball? I kinda miss it. He is a hedgehog after all, it's what they do. After Heroes the slide replaced it as a ground attack and doubled as a way to get into small spaces, but couldn't rolling work just as well for that? And of course the homing attack replaced the spin jump, but I still find it more satisfying to just jump into enemies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
JC was right about Remember Me.

I don't want to play it anymore. Even if it's short, I don't want to play it anymore. I don't think I like the game part of the game outside of the Memory Remixes. I don't like the combat much. I don't like the combo lab much. I don't like the camera at. all. I don't like how the stupid thing holds your hand all the time.

I do like the checkpointing, since it's easy to put down and pick up. I like the art (seriously; it shines, and it's the best thing about the game to me). And I like the setting and premise. It's really got a good premise, but I feel like it doesn't fully live up to it so far.

It's just everything else... I feel like: a) it should've been kept in the oven for a while longer (then again, no one would've remembered it), b) they should've picked some better VA but the French VA is great, c) that camera needs to be fixed so bad, d) combat should be better, and e) man I wish this game weren't linear as heck. And probably an assortment of things that I'm forgetting at a moment. It's a few steps shy of being remarkably decent, and it's truly a shame because I would've liked to explore the world a little more because everything sounds so neat about it.

Real big shame here. I might finish it off because it is short, but man, I feel like all those art assets weren't used to their full potential. :/

Anyone else think it's strange how Sonic has slowly distanced himself from his signature ability of rolling into a ball? I kinda miss it. He is a hedgehog after all, it's what they do. After Heroes the slide replaced it as a ground attack and doubled as a way to get into small spaces, but couldn't rolling work just as well for that? And of course the homing attack replaced the spin jump, but I still find it more satisfying to just jump into enemies.
It's the longer legs part of his design, probably. He doesn't really curl into a ball in 2D games much either, which is something I loved doing as a kid for the speed.

You probably like jumping on enemies more like I do because you get a better height advantage, especially if you're taking them with enough speed.

Noi

Remember me is as bad at release as it was at PAX? Whoda thunk it.

Walking through the strip today, legs like noodles.

I went to Vegas last year. This is entirely accurate.

You should check out the Pinball Museum while you're down there. It's not on the strip, but it's pretty cool to see so many pinball machines in one place (and some arcade games, like Vs. SMB and TMNT). Plus, if that's not your speed, there's a game store immediately next door with a healthy selection of games from pretty much every console ever.

Is this the place? It certainly looks pretty cool!

Like Dragon Quest, apparently. Which you still haven't played the one for PS2 yet.

Just admit it: You don't play video games.

Also, thanks to everyone's hard work and determination, I am back on the scene in Chrono Trigger. I'm glad you all care so much about me. :>

Schala's still dead.

PKrockin

I don't think I've played a Sonic game with bad music yet. And they've really been knocking it out of the park recently with Unleashed, Colors, and Generations.

Well, except Secret Rings. But that game exists in its own personal circle of hell.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
STICK THROWING OUTSIDE OF MAHVEL

Fuuuuuuuuuck, so goooood.

I feel bad for Smash cuz it has to come after that. That's why KoFXIII is like my favourite game of EVO, no matter what--just because the players just know their shit, the animations are so hot, and there's more than one background. Even over SF4. I think this year's topped last year's.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
LOL at Smash Bros Melee being the first game at EVO to break 100k viewers. Oh, Nintendo didn't want that?

Good god Graces' OST sucked.
I put more blame on Tamura. Thank goodness he's not composing for the games anymore.

112k people watching Smash Brothers? Disgusting. Rest assured that I am already on the phone with Nintendo right now to let them know that so many people are infringing on their IP and that Nintendo's brand is in danger. Absolutely horrid that so many people are supporting this vile EVO corporation.
Hahahahahahaha. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom