• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when I tried to play through FF4, I tapped out pretty early on if I recall and I have no shame in doing so.

The game is better if you're twelve years old, new to FF, and don't know of the plot twists. Playing it as an adult who has probably seen all the plot twists lampshaded and parodied a million times on the net, and know the ins and outs of every boss, it comes off as antiquated and corny. But it has its charm at times.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
THIS GAME IS SO STUPID.

I just fought a boss that was a palette swap of another boss.

I...

I can't fucking even...
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

The game is better if you're twelve years old, new to FF, and don't know of the plot twists. Playing it as an adult who has probably seen all the plot twists lampshaded and parodied a million times on the net, and know the ins and outs of every boss, it comes off as antiquated and corny. But it has its charm at times.
I can't quite remember what caused me to cave in but the plot being standard fare wasn't really my issue. I guess I just didn't click with it at all, that and as Beef said the revolving door deal was a pain, in fact that probably factors in quite a lot.

That sounds gnawty. Really gnawty, developers

I see your game here ViewtifulJC snr.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, it doesn't help that there are regular enemies in the game that are palette swaps of the boss that lead up to the boss palette swap of the boss.

Also fields/dungeon areas are palette swaps of older fields/dungeon areas, but they don't exactly have the same layout and the dungeons are just poorly designed overall.

I am legitimately coming to loathe this game.

Tizoc

@Phantom- Oof, RiP, he did a fantastic job voicing him.

Been wanting to reply to this ^^;
They are just as pissed as we are. Even moreso.
Hmm where can I read about that? I always assumed the biggest market for gaming in Japan is TouchPhones and Tablets and the like (SEGA's top selling product of the first half of this year is a TouchPhone Puyo Puyo game).

Capcom just wants to chase down the emerging mobile market just like everyone else because they can put very little in terms of R&D and gameplay and walk away with a boatload of cash if they do it right. A lot of people have smartphones, and a lot of people pay cash for games now, even if they play casually, so that's why companies do it.
A shame really, a TouchPhone/Tablet game can still be as good and fun as a regular console/handheld game (eg Rayman Jungle Run). I personally find TouchPhones to be a decent system for turn based jRPGs...or jRPG-like games in general.

I'm back from my shift, but even if I'm less irritated than I was this morning (which was a complete... I don't even know), I'm still incredibly disappointed. I have to say that sometimes I don't like it when companies go in a drastically different direction with some of their series. I like to go with the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it; but if you must, add onto it for the best". But some recent games in some of these series that we like to reminisce about have simply gone into a direction that's in an extreme that people don't wish for the series to be in. It's because people like being comfortable, playing games that they're familiar with. If the change has been too drastic, and if people aren't slowly eased into it, people are going to feel incredibly disappointed or at least, people will feel mixed about the game in question.
Hmm.....

It's not just with Breath of Fire, either. One of my friends messaged me saying that Capcom's been doing this with their higher-tier stuff for years now, and to an extent that certainly is true. It certainly feels like Capcom's squandering all of the goodwill they had towards the beginning and midpoint of this generation when they released SF4, MM9, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Mega Man ZX, Ghost Trick, bringing PW to the west, etc. And for what? Either an attempt at trying to secure wider audiences by making some changes for some of the games they release, or chasing after the emerging mobile market for a chance to increase their profits slightly.
Wish Capcom's plans for certain titles they're releasing aims at a niche demographic, or rather release them aiming at something like 100,000 sales for a product (note that far as I can tell, Darkstalkers R. may have met that amount by now, and I think D&D CoM can reach that target as well).

Furthermore, and this is from what I've gathered and understood by now; Japan dislikes digital, unless it's TouchPhone/Tablet. This mentality is also shared by the higher ups in Capcom Japan from what I understand, although I'm glad that SSF4 has been getting digital updates as well.

I understand Capcom's idea of trying to go for a market that seems to be emerging in the games industry. It's just like how I get SE for doing the same thing. But I can't really support that idea because a lot of the games that these two companies have released on these platforms have been subpar in some way (ie: SE with the visual / UI department and lack of substance in systems for their mobile games, and Capcom with... well, you've seen Rockman xover). The fear is that Breath of Fire 6, a game that people have been waiting years for is on a platform that has controls that not everyone is comfortable with, it is an online touch RPG, and given Capcom's amazing effort with some of their mobile ventures, it's probably not going to look or play rather stellar either. It will lack substance and depth that people are used to seeing in traditional RPGs like BoF. That is why I'm disappointed.
BOF6 is getting a release on PC too, which is surprising since that's another platform that isn't popular or big in Japan...
What type of game is BoF6 anyway? An MMO, typical turn based jRPG with I dunno Rhythm game elements?

Capcom has so many IPs that they can play around with, but they're either shelving them because they might not work in this retail environment at present, or they're making mobile sequels for that market (and, again, the real problem I have with that is that I don't think these games will have a lot of substance or depth to them at all). It just a huge shame that they're squandering their IPs in an attempt to gain a small profit at a lower cost, or they're even squandering the good will that their fans have had for them for decades. And that good will was gained due to their willingness to make their games even better, or diversify their IP so that there was something that the company had to offer to everyone.
I like that Capcom would give certain games a 2nd chance (eg Rival Schools, Power Stone), but it seems the sequels didn't do very well or make them a popular mainstay.
It also doesn't help that in this gen, despite the FG community's resurface, Capcom won't benefit from releasing new entries of their other fighting games, what with SSF4 and others having more attraction.

In my effort to get Rise of the Triad to not freeze periodically, I tried wiping the old driver out for a clean slate.

And now Catalyst Control Center refuses to install. The driver is there, apparently, but most of the additional software isn't.

And it didnt't even fix the issue. In fact, while it didn't do this while running, quitting the game caused a BSoD.

I'm ecatatic, don't you know?

If you want to misconstrue the news it totally means that Wisps are totally going to be in every main Sonic game from now on, in reality it likely just means that they're now an established part of Sonic games that could very well turn up in future titles as opposed to being the one off element they once appeared to be with colours which is absolutely fine by me.

Outside of Laser and Drill, I thought all the Wisps were incredibly boring and did nothing to accentuate both Sonic's speed nor the platforming. If anything, the majority of them made you skip both. It's like they had the idea of alternate pathways but forgot to put actually interesting platforming agreements in, so the made the Wisps to act as a bandaid to connect them together. It also doesn't help that the Wisps powers are essentially the powers of other charters, so that also means that alternate playable characters, which I would much rather have.

Besides, the shield are the only powerups the franchise needs.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
As long as they flow cohesively into gameplay, I don't dislike it. This is the second game with Wisp powerups, and it remains to be seen how they work within the constructs of level design. Who knows, it might be improved, it might not.

And this is for ShadiWulf. I saw this picture on fb and thought of you.

1012654_1015174325526pnpsj.jpg

EDIT: And for the few of you keeping up with the Tales of Xillia thread...
There's a running joke that importers initially had which involved that game [Final Fantasy XIII]. I don't know if a lot of them say it now. If I actually say it in here, it'll probably bring about a bunch of tangental posts but you can probably guess what it is.

What I meant by this is that people often call Tales of Xillia "the Final Fantasy XIII of Tales", which is actually somewhat warranted given the Lillial Orb system, some of the characters, lack of traditional Tales stuff, ending abruptly, etc.

lol.

PKrockin

EDIT: And for the few of you keeping up with the Tales of Xillia thread...

What I meant by this is that people often call Tales of Xillia "the Final Fantasy XIII of Tales", which is actually somewhat warranted given the Lillial Orb system, some of the characters, lack of traditional Tales stuff, ending abruptly, etc.

lol.

Well I didn't know that, but then there's also Xillia 2 which immediately reminded me of XIII-2 with its time travel, direct sequel in the same world, pink logo, etc.

I hardly knew a single thing about XIII-2 at the time and it still immediately struck me like wherever SE decided to take their franchise, Namco was just following right behind them.

...this comparison is not getting me hyped for Xillia...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well I didn't know that, but then there's also Xillia 2 which immediately reminded me of XIII-2 with its time travel, direct sequel in the same world, pink logo, etc.

I hardly knew a single thing about XIII-2 at the time and it still immediately struck me like wherever SE decided to take their franchise, Namco was just following right behind them.

...this comparison is not getting me hyped for Xillia...
If it helps, the comparison is apt for the battle system. The battles are pretty fun when you get the hang of doing everything faster since everyone's broken in some manner. It's just the boss battles that are lacking. So go into this for the battles and some of the characters like Milla and Alvin since they're actually written decently.

Xillia 2 truly did remind me of XIII-2 at first, but I think it's a better game than XIII-2 and it uses the time travel mechanic so much better. But with that said, Xillia 2 has pacing problems which is actually deterring me from wanting to continue to the end of the thing (which I really should do since I'm almost finished the game). With that said, though, there's a lot more player agency. You learn skills via things that are like Capacity Cores from Abyss, and you can equip whichever one you want to enhance learning specific elemental skills. It's much better than the Lillial Orb system, imo. The game's more balanced. It has more things for the player to do (ex: hunt giganto enemies, do some fetch quests to get more points in order to do higher-level quests). The weapon/item crafting in this game is much better than Din's Shop in Abyss.

It's just more improved than its predecessor in many ways. Unlike XIII-2 was.

The trophy list for Xillia 2 is just plain stupid, though. I don't even want to platinum it. :/

Tizoc

I miss the Elemental shields...I feel like the shields can be utilized in a 2D Sonic platformer game, allowing for multiple paths in order to complete the level:
Water/Bubble Shield: Ground slam to uncover underground paths
Fire Shield: Fire invincibility allows Sonic to get past certain hazards
Thunder Shield: reach higher ledges

Just a thought...

BlackJace

If it helps, the comparison is apt for the battle system. The battles are pretty fun when you get the hang of doing everything faster since everyone's broken in some manner. It's just the boss battles that are lacking. So go into this for the battles and some of the characters like Milla and Alvin since they're actually written decently.

Xillia 2 truly did remind me of XIII-2 at first, but I think it's a better game than XIII-2 and it uses the time travel mechanic so much better. But with that said, Xillia 2 has pacing problems which is actually deterring me from wanting to continue to the end of the thing (which I really should do since I'm almost finished the game). With that said, though, there's a lot more player agency. You learn skills via things that are like Capacity Cores from Abyss, and you can equip whichever one you want to enhance learning specific elemental skills. It's much better than the Lillial Orb system, imo. The game's more balanced. It has more things for the player to do (ex: hunt giganto enemies, do some fetch quests to get more points in order to do higher-level quests). The weapon/item crafting in this game is much better than Din's Shop in Abyss.

The trophy list for Xillia 2 is just plain stupid, though. I don't even want to platinum it. :/

Sooooo, you would recommend both? Or rather just skip to X2?

PKrockin

Yeah, I always go to the series for the battles. If it has a competent story and characters that's a bonus.

Xillia 2 sounds like XIII-2's concept, except actually executed well.

I miss the Elemental shields...I feel like the shields can be utilized in a 2D Sonic platformer game, allowing for multiple paths in order to complete the level:

Just a thought...

Same. Elemental shields are a major reason why I like Sonic 3/K better than Sonic 2. It's a shame how they were implemented in Generations.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sooooo, you would recommend both? Or rather just skip to X2?
I'd still recommend both. Skipping right to Xillia 2 would probably render some of the character chapters in Xillia 2 far less meaningful (I honestly thought it was beneficial having known what the characters went through in ToX1 for the character chapters because it demonstrates their character writing more). The ToX1 Digest in Xillia 2 isn't really adequate either. Also, you'll appreciate the physics/speed changes for better balance in Xillia 2 far more if you've played Xillia 1. Not to mention the openness and return to Tales series extras like some of the staple sidequests in Xillia 2.

So, yeah, I'd probably go with both. Xillia 1's still fun to play. It's just got lots of issues that adds up over time, and simply doesn't feel like a 15th anniversary game at all.

Just a thought...
Well, I'd written before that I felt the shields were implemented in Modern Sonic's moveset.

Fire: boost/some of the homing attack
Thunder: double-jump/boost's tactic of gravitating rings towards you
Bubble: stomp/ground slam

BlackJace

I'd still recommend both. Skipping right to Xillia 2 would probably render some of the character chapters in Xillia 2 far less meaningful (I honestly thought it was beneficial having known what the characters went through in ToX1 for the character chapters because it demonstrates their character writing more). The ToX1 Digest in Xillia 2 isn't really adequate either. Also, you'll appreciate the physics/speed changes for better balance in Xillia 2 far more if you've played Xillia 1. Not to mention the openness and return to Tales series extras like some of the staple sidequests in Xillia 2.

So, yeah, I'd probably go with both. Xillia 1's still fun to play. It's just got lots of issues that adds up over time.

Okay, it'll remain on the amazon wishlist.

Man, I must be really bored if I'm making a meme image :p

AzQ51R4.png

TheOGB

Banned
Iizuka just said at SoS that Wisps are now a permanent part of the series...

Well fuck.
wut

If you want to misconstrue the news it totally means that Wisps are totally going to be in every main Sonic game from now on, in reality it likely just means that they're now an established part of Sonic games that could very well turn up in future titles as opposed to being the one off element they once appeared to be with colours which is absolutely fine by me.
Oh. Yay, common sense prevails.
so they're the new Shadow

And at the very least, the lightning shield is in the 3DS version of Lost World, so there's that...

Man, I must be really bored if I'm making a meme image :p
yeah, that's usually how it goes

Tizoc

I already knew I needed a new computer, but buying Rogue Legacy and suffering through massive slowdown only solidified it.

It's worse for me: The laptop I wanna get is $2000, but that'd use up all my savings lol. I'll pass by the shop next week and see if they can accept installments or the like...

qq more

Personally I find wisps a great addition to the games and find them very fun to mess around with. More reasons to be excited for Lost World for me, honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom