• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razzer

Xenoblade looks like a PS2 era Square Enix game.

I mean that in a good way. Dunban would've fit right in in a Kingdom Hearts game.

I've barely touched the story, either, I've been dicking around with Colony 9's affinity instead.

Oh, also, setup most of my consoles now. Just have PS2, PS3 and maybe the original Wii (for GC and homebrew; I'm playing Xenoblade on the Wii U) to go, as well as setting up the PC (which is another can of worms altogether).

Feels weird not having close relatives immediately on hand. Or doing all the grocery shopping on my own. Eep.

Xenoblade is a great game, you should enjoy it. One of the few jrpg's I've played for any particular length of time, so I can't really comment on how the combat stacks up compared to some more informed opinions in this thread, but i did find it fun. And the story is pretty great, in fact it is the only jrpg with voice acting I've seen that had both decent writing and good voice acting. It's one of my particular perks with the genre mostly because I've done a lot of acting lessons and theatre perfomance myself so i get irritated by bad scene direction. Oh and by the time you're finished you should be ready to quote many a battle cry, you'll know what time it is.

BlackJace

Well, I finished XCOM: EU.

Fantastic game, one of the best Turn Based strats I've played in years. It had its fair share of bullshit, though.

It's like the only game where it's normal to miss 93% shots.

and it's glitchhhhhhhy as a mothafucka. Still, like a full year after patches and shit.

Great game tho, especially if you roll with the permadeath and not one of those "argh my FE waifu died :( *reset*" players

qq more

oh yeah

forgot to show you guys these sprites i was working on for another community on GAF

All the sprites so far:
Redwalk.png
Kogawalk.png

Goldwalkhair.png

Grimsley.png

Xprotagwalk.png
Yprotagwalk.png

GIFs (all thanks to Ultimate Ike):
JTMZG4z.gif
t43VtnD.gif
kj4yxYx.gif
5TXcmxe.gif
V74O3UM.gif
YbEmlLQ.gif

PKrockin

Well, I finished XCOM: EU.

Fantastic game, one of the best Turn Based strats I've played in years. It had its fair share of bullshit, though.

It's like the only game where it's normal to miss 93% shots.

X-Com UFO Defense, Terror from the Deep and pre-GBA Fire Emblem.

If it's not at least 96% you can't count on it hitting.

Noi

and it's glitchhhhhhhy as a mothafucka. Still, like a full year after patches and shit.

Great game tho, especially if you roll with the permadeath and not one of those "argh my FE waifu died :( *reset*" players

To be slightly fair, in FE you don't have an infinite amount of troops that can be recruited for money and you can customize to be just like the one that just died.

Except in awakening, where you can literally make any unit do everything cause of how broken that game is.

AniHawk

I've been playing good games like Sonic CD and Tales of Xillia enough lately.

I haven't played the first Jak so I'll just be jumping in. I have no idea what makes this game so horrible though. I mean, it's Jak! And Naughty Dog! Can't be that bad.

jak ii is sorta like a better produced version of shadow the hedgehog. jak and daxter is a collectathon buddy-platformer in the style of banjo-kazooie where you occasionally have different powerups to help you complete tasks. it was a good game, nothing mindblowing, but memorable and charming. it was also the last game of its type naughty dog ever produced.

starting with jak ii, the company shifted heavily in the direction of making movie-games, where the star wasn't the level design, but the stories and characters. jak ii is an example of how to completely fuck up the implementation of story into a video game, because the story overrides every major design decision, and is extremely poor in its own right: think metroid other m, but more infuriating.

it's interesting as sort of a history lesson of what not to do, and sorta interesting because you can see it evolve during the uncharted series until they finally get it right with the last of us. i think it was jason rubin leaving the company that led to smarter decisions being made, because everything i've seen about the guy since 2002 makes him look like a lost, clueless designer who doesn't get why people play video games. he shouldn't be in this industry.

BHZ Mayor

i think it was jason rubin leaving the company that led to smarter decisions being made, because everything i've seen about the guy since 2002 makes him look like a lost, clueless designer who doesn't get why people play video games. he shouldn't be in this industry.
After that whole thing with taking Saints Row seriously, I may have to agree with your assessment.

qq more

Good god, Jason Rubin. Wanting to turn Saints Row serious was just about one of the worst things I've ever heard from a CEO.

PKrockin

lol, I've neither played nor know much about either GTA or Saint's Row but even I know that's a bad idea.

jak ii is sorta like a better produced version of shadow the hedgehog. jak and daxter is a collectathon buddy-platformer in the style of banjo-kazooie where you occasionally have different powerups to help you complete tasks. it was a good game, nothing mindblowing, but memorable and charming. it was also the last game of its type naughty dog ever produced.

starting with jak ii, the company shifted heavily in the direction of making movie-games, where the star wasn't the level design, but the stories and characters. jak ii is an example of how to completely fuck up the implementation of story into a video game, because the story overrides every major design decision, and is extremely poor in its own right: think metroid other m, but more infuriating.

it's interesting as sort of a history lesson of what not to do, and sorta interesting because you can see it evolve during the uncharted series until they finally get it right with the last of us. i think it was jason rubin leaving the company that led to smarter decisions being made, because everything i've seen about the guy since 2002 makes him look like a lost, clueless designer who doesn't get why people play video games. he shouldn't be in this industry.

This is hard to imagine.

AniHawk

This is hard to imagine.

metroid other m turns samus into a yes-woman to a man with severe ptsd. however, it's not like it is totally imagined with that game. there were bits of it dropped in fusion and the manga preceding other m. so there's at least some sort of precedent for it.

jak ii takes the colorful friendly silent protagonist (in the style of mario or banjo) and has him tortured for two years. when he finally gets out, he has 'dark jak' powers, a gruff voice, a soul patch, and a thirst for revenge.

PKrockin

Seriously, now where the hell is my DS charger? It's like the universe is conspiring against me to make me play good games.

edit: Actually, I guess I could just play Jak 2 without a memory card if I plan to marathon it and it doesn't require me to load a save game on game over or anything.
I played enough Princess Maker 2 when I was younger anyway

edit2: Now my PS2 controller is broken somehow! I swear to God I'm not making this shit up. Now to find my other controller...

edit3: Ohh, that's right. I forgot, I gave one of my PS2 controllers and my PS2->USB adapter to a friend when I moved. This one always had kind of an issue, you have to curve the first few inches of the cord coming from the PS2 to the left or else the signal doesn't go through. On the bright side I found my DS charger.

This game is a trainwreck and I haven't even gotten past the memory card prompt.

IT'S REYN TIME

You, I like you.
Man, you lot are a buncha jokers.

So, uh, the plot got moving. Didn't really expect it to get moving like that, though. I kinda have mixed thoughts about
Fiora's demise coming so early
, but I'm hesitant to discuss them since I've been going in blind this far, and don't really want to change that.

Combat's growing on me. Admittedly I still rely on only a few tactics at this point, but I like how the auto-attacking lets you focus more on lining up combos and positioning. It's still a damn lot to take in, but it's a sueprisingly action-filled take on JRPG mechanics the likes of which I haven't seen since Panzer Dragoon Saga. (Of course, I don't play THAT many JRPGs, so I almost certainly missed a similarly unique take on the genre somewhere out there...)

Kinda wish I knew where my receipt got off to so I could try and get back $9 on what I paid for it, but so far, this one's a keeper.

PKrockin

Hahahaha they spell "Crimson Guard" with a K and Z. Double the cool.

Strange how even with guards patrolling, and their sightline on the minimap I can run around and crash vehicles in front of them as I please and they don't seem to notice.

BHZ Mayor

the making of jak ii it's like watching a bunch of george lucases george lucasing it up.
Just seeing that electric attack that slowly lifts Jak off the ground brings back painful and frustrating memories.

Hahahaha they spell "Crimson Guard" with a K and Z. Double the cool.

Strange how even with guards patrolling, and their sightline on the minimap I can run around and crash vehicles in front of them as I please and they don't seem to notice.
They don't care about anything traffic wise until you touch (and yes that's all it takes, a touch) them. Also they're the only NPC's that don't attempt to duck. Though if you're not pressing the button as you hit one of they're vehicles, they won't go on alert. Also you can always jump out of your vehicle and let it hit ground guards without penalty.

PKrockin

Should I know what Metal Heads and Eco are? Were they explained in the last game?

The game isn't so bad so far. By far the worst part of it is the constant driving back and forth between missions. The controls aren't bad but the city seems unnecessarily big and twisted.

Oh, and I found a glitch. Throughout the whole cutscene, I guess one of the points of geometry on Jak's face goes nuts. Maybe it's just a weird consequence of installing a modchip in my PS2 almost a decade ago.

Well...
Everyone get Caslte of Illusion on PSN/XBL/Steam, impressions so far are positive from GAFfers who played it.
Also Grant Kirkhope OST-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kgmfpy5dkE

Gettin' it on 360. Would've liked the Mega Drive game from the PSN offer (I've only got/played the Master System CoI, which is a completely different game), but I've got some cash sitting on my Live account so I'd rather use money I've already spent to spending more (same reason I'm waiting for the XBLA release of Duck Tales).

jak ii takes the colorful friendly silent protagonist (in the style of mario or banjo) and has him tortured for two years. when he finally gets out, he has 'dark jak' powers, a gruff voice, a soul patch, and a thirst for revenge.
I love how this sounds like a joke of some kind but it's still very much a thing that actually happened.

who is that

IT'S VINCENT KENNEDY MCMAHON DAMMIT!

iteCEDhaR8Ckm.gif

Tizoc

Jak II is basically Shadow The Hedgehog I take it?

More like Shadow the Hedgehog but with better gameplay...I mean hey if I can beat it but can't stand Shadow's game...

If anyone is EU Plus member they should just try it out for themselves.

qq more

More like Shadow the Hedgehog but with better gameplay...I mean hey if I can beat it but can't stand Shadow's game...

That's not saying anything. I think stripping the gameplay entirely out of Shadow The Hedgehog would make it a 100000000% better experience.

If anyone is EU Plus member they should just try it out for themselves.

Are you trying to kill EU SonicGAF!?

Tizoc

^EDIT: Actually it's more for them to judge it themselves, I've found over time that there are as many people who dislike Jak 2 as there are theose who like it.

That's not saying anything. I think stripping the gameplay entirely out of Shadow The Hedgehog would make it a 100000000% better experience.

The thing about jak 2's gameplay is that...I both like and dislike it, I liked it at the time because of the open world concept it went with & I didn't mind the combat even with the lack of a dedicated 'lock on', and disliked it because of the action and GRIM DARK direction they went with it @_@

I'll say this though: Along with Spyro 1, it is among the few games I DO NOT want to replay again.

Tizoc

Funny, I thought Spyro 1 held up really well on a replay.

What I dislike most about Spyro 1 is the 'lifeless' worlds and stages, it's just you and monsters/enemies....it just felt bland to me.
Spyro 2 and 3 added NPC characters that made the worlds more lively IMO thus I like them more.

Eh, I'm used to games having nothing but you and enemies, and the allies in the later games kind of annoy me, so to each their own, I guess.

That reminds me of similar platforming trilogy Prince of Persia Sands of Time, where the charming, affable Prince was suddenly dark and haunted with heavy rock music playing, wearing grungy colors. I think he shouted "YOU BITCH!" about five minutes into the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom