• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

qq more

I agree. This generation really got me into branching out to other games I thought I would never play.

I'd never thought a game about being a lawyer would end up being one of my most favorite games ever (AA3 <3). I'd never thought I'd get so into a game like Saints Row 3. I'd never thought I'd get into a MMO Final Fantasy of all things.

And Metal Gear is so dang good... I'm glad I gave the series a chance (HD re-releases really does get some of my attention).

I didn't necessarily step out of my comfort zone genre wise, but I did find myself exploring broader parts of the genres I do enjoy.

(HD re-releases really does get some of my attention).

This is going to be a weird ass opinion, but I think HD re-releases are probably my single favorite thing about this generation. High school aged me's head would have exploded if I told them that I'd be playing Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, Final Fantasy X & X-2 International & Tales of Symphonia PS2 (among others!) in English and in HD, at that.

Speaking of HD re-releases I finished up Jak and Daxter with 100%.
This game holds up well and as far as collectathon platformers go as well as for being one of the earlier PS2 titles.
The world while not fully open world is connected and that's a nice angle and a change from the usual hub structure most of these games go for, though it's still a missed opportunity really as no areas actually intersect with each other and are self contained. As the game goes on areas start feeling more sectioned off from each other, in the early stages you can stand in say the forest and see the village, beach and misty island in the background which helps the connected feeling but if we consider the games map to be sectioned into say thirds the other two parts don't get that same visual approach. But despite this minor gripe the lack of loading times and room transitions help the cohesion.

I couldn't help but notice how every NPC is overly animated making some erratic movements, I guess Naughty Dog really wanted to flex their animation muscles here, it's oddly endearing I guess if a bit overdone, shame all they ever really want you to do is trade orbs for power cells.

What really helps this game stand out for me among other collectathon games is that there's actually quite a strong 3D platforming focus while most just use the jumping around more for traversal, the mechanics are solid though the camera and jump shadow can occasionally be a bit awkward, one section where you flee up a tower being pursued by dark eco has a camera intent on focusing on the eco which in turn leads to Jak constantly being at the top of the screen which seems counter productive to a vertical platforming section.

But anyway it was fun throughout and still stands as one of my favourite PS2 titles, of course after finishing it I had to at least start Jak 2...
I find it kind of funny that the lame 100% completion award in the first game is basically what leads us into the mess that is Jak 2, clearly the underwhelming scene at the end of the first game was an ill omen. The opening for Jak 2 is so brutal to witness, the fact that is starts with the whimsy of the original game and mute Jak before we're hurled through the portal of grit into edgy city just make the tonal shift that much more painful.
Now I just wonder how long i'll last when I truly dive into the game tomorrow.

Being presented with the maddening words from various folks related to this sordid sequel over the last day or two in this thread has been a fun read I can say that much.
I'd have replied to some of those posts but I was having a crummy day yesterday, i'll just refer back to one point that is that I also don't hold much of a place for plot in platformers, especially 2D.

Sonic Lost World

"Surprisingly....not shit gravy" - PA

"The best Sonic in years, 6/10" - IGN

"I say, old bean, this one gave me a jolly good rouse in my knickers, if I do say so" - Nocturnowl

"Damn, I'm the fuckin' BEST" - Noi

"Not even cute babes falling on their face, but Tails so kawaii sugoi~" - qq moe

"Colors 2 who asked for this soft shit" - Anthony

"Didn't play it, but I'm sure it's perfectly fine or whatever" - Shadow Hog

"Slowest Sonic ever...but maybe that has something to do with my laptop stream..." - Beef

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What really helps this game stand out for me among other collectathon games is that there's actually quite a strong 3D platforming focus while most just use the jumping around more for traversal, the mechanics are solid though the camera and jump shadow can occasionally be a bit awkward, one section where you flee up a tower being pursued by dark eco has a camera intent on focusing on the eco which in turn leads to Jak constantly being at the top of the screen which seems counter productive to a vertical platforming section.
See, because I've never played a Banjo game (and have played a few of the DK games), I can never make this sort of comparison. But I'd felt similarly about the Jak and Daxter platforming in that case.

"Not even cute babes falling on their face, but Tails so kawaii sugoi~" - qq moe
This quote is most accurate.

PKrockin

I'm starting to hate Sonic Generations as I collect the last red rings.

Well, it's more the input lag, poor framerate, and long load times that I hate.

Village

I'm starting to hate Sonic Generations as I collect the last red rings.

Well, it's more the input lag, poor framerate, and long load times that I hate.

what version are you playing?

I play the PC version I do not really experience really long load times, poor frame rate is dependent on the PC I am playing on.

Also It comes with Infinitely better mode

And qq more mode. So it works out great. I have heard things of the PS3 version being weird though, but again that tends to be the case with multiplatform games in general.

On a... well I guess this is still sonic related note, I have to ask. Any sonic art style that they have used in a previous game you would like them to use in a future one. I would sonic battle, I would actually like a sonic fighting game

TheOGB

Banned
You stole my answer immediately :(

Well besides Battle, I'd still like to see a return to the radical Adventure style drawn by Yuji Uekawa. I feel like there's a lot of room for Sonic art to be more varied like it used to be, because I'm pretty sure everything now uses CG renders. It's "safe," I guess, but it's boring.

qq more

I'd love to see a hand drawn 2D sonic game that uses the original style... would be interesting!

And yeah, I'd love to see Sonic Battle's style being used more, they should make a cool sequel to that game (even though I wasn't huge on it in the first place, but it had a lot of potential)

Village

I would like to see a style with more clothing, I think the aesthetic of the characters would benifit from WELL DESIGNED clothing. Amd those who already wear clothes getting more outfits.

That is just me though.

Razzer

I'd love to see a hand drawn 2D sonic game that uses the original style... would be interesting!

And yeah, I'd love to see Sonic Battle's style being used more, they should make a cool sequel to that game (even though I wasn't huge on it in the first place, but it had a lot of potential)

How would you describe the original style compared to other 16-bit games? I ask because I know next to nothing about spritework so i'd find it interesting.

Also, Sonic Battle was the shit back when I was younger. Spent so long playing that and pokemon.

qq more

I sort of mean something close to the likes of the Sonic CD animation. I think it would be hella neat if such a thing could be pulled off

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Excuse me, but I am playing Sweet Fuse at the moment. That's not gonna happen.

I've been asked to write impressions in there, but I'm incredibly hesitant to do that because I'm not going to outright praise the game. I'll certainly write impressions in here because I feel comfortable in here and you guys are generally reasonable, but i just feel weird taking knocks at it because people--in the thread and critic reviews-wise-- are praising it left and right and I feel like I'm the only one who feels the way I do. (Also another reason that you'd probably have to quote this post for.) [email="And because the localization crew reads that thread and I feel awkward whenever I'm in that type of position because I generally feel like I should soften the blow and sugarcoat everything I say rather than be completely honest.][/email]

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I genuinely cannot hold to that because this is the quarter that I typically play a lot of stuff in an attempt to solidfy GotY and honourable mentions.

"Didn't play it, but I'm sure it's perfectly fine or whatever" - Shadow Hog
tumblr_lmpfj6rjab1qclt3z-1.gif

I actually have every intention of playing this game. Genuinely looks fun to me, if rather janky.

Granted, I'd like a demo first, but...

BHZ Mayor

I genuinely cannot hold to that because this is the quarter that I typically play a lot of stuff in an attempt to solidfy GotY and honourable mentions.
Serious question. Have you ever considered being a professional reviewer? You seem to have the dedication and writing talent for it.

qq more

ok fine

I'll do it myself. If I play bad games within 1 minute from now then I cannot eat pizza for the rest of my life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom