• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sciz

Well how about some less popular choices that could make interesting stages. Mushroom Hill could change seasons throughout a match, altering the environment. Chemical plant (or any water level) could feature changing water levels that you have to avoid. I'm sure we could imagine some others.

Good ideas, but already taken by Yoshi's Island in Brawl and almost every Metroid stage in the series, respectively.

...I kinda wanna see Wacky Workbench make the cut, actually.

I'd want Crisis City to be the stage, so that when a character gets knocked out they can get caught in the tornado and be thrown back at the other players for extra damage.

TheOGB

Banned
It could be an elevator in Hill Top Zone. Nice mountain scenery, moving platform(s), lava in a level that's not Metroid related (also acceptable: NSMB castle with NSMB DS castle theme remix as the default, fuck relevancy), dinobots, and dat harmonica.

Or for a more sensible answer, I'll put another vote towards Death Egg. Maybe have the Sonic 2 Death Egg Robo lock onto someone and throw a punch like the Generations boss battle. Or do one better, have it set after Act 2 of the S&K zone and recreate the first phase of the Great Eggman Robo battle. Hands occasionally coming up to crush players, and if they are destroyed the robot shows up less frequently, but when it does from that point it fires lasers from the left side of the screen (though not as big as they were in the actual fight, of course).

I'd want Crisis City to be the stage, so that when a character gets knocked out they can get caught in the tornado and be thrown back at the other players for extra damage.
Sounds like Injustice.

BHZ Mayor

*playing Rayman Legends, gets frustrated that I can't shave off those 40-something milliseconds to get the Diamond in the Daily Extreme Challenge*

*sees I'm number 25 out of 1964, decides screw it, good enough*

AniHawk

Yes, on account that it's not 30 hours of filler, but is actually really exciting and with interesting mechanics to master.

that's fairly encouraging. tru usually has a b2g1f sale in late october, so i might get that alongside gta v and sonic lost world.

*playing Rayman Legends, gets frustrated that I can't shave off those 40-something milliseconds to get the Diamond in the Daily Extreme Challenge*

25? that's pretty fucking good. i got to 39 or something on green hill zone act 1 in sonic generations for ps3 a month after it came out, and that was about it for me.

TheOGB

Banned
I remember when I had some top scores on the Colors leaderboards for a while. They're long gone, now.

I'm in that gap just under the top 10-15 players and above the majority on both Invaded levels of the Rayman Legends demo (360 and PC). I wonder if that's Top 30?

Tizoc

That's me too lol.
I tend to just give up once I get the Gold or Silver award.

BHZ Mayor

that's fairly encouraging. tru usually has a b2g1f sale in late october, so i might get that alongside gta v and sonic lost world.

25? that's pretty fucking good. i got to 39 or something on green hill zone act 1 in sonic generations for ps3 a month after it came out, and that was about it for me.

That's me too lol.
I tend to just give up once I get the Gold or Silver award.

Well to update, after checking this morning, I'm number 27.

jUTcEdC.jpg

Tbh, I'm quite proud of this as this is this highest I've ever been on any leaderboard. I usually don't bother with optional high scores.

qq more

pick-pocketing

mushroom kingdom has been going through hard times, yanno

*freezes self inside a giant ice cube for no apparent reason*

Oh god I didn't realise New Game + in Okami let you play as the alpha version of Amaterasu, aka The Dog From Resi 4. That's pretty fucking jarring.

Oh god I didn't realise New Game + in Okami let you play as the alpha version of Amaterasu, aka The Dog From Resi 4. That's pretty fucking jarring.
I hope your immediate reaction in that case was to say "hey, it's that dog".
I find it amusing to go around as what i'll describe as the big puffball, but the bark doesn't have enough bite to satisfy my occasional craving to yap away.

I hope your immediate reaction in that case was to say "hey, it's that dog".
I find it amusing to go around as what i'll describe as the big puffball, but the bark doesn't have enough bite to satisfy my occasional craving to yap away.

The doge Ammy was another favourite, yeah. I'm so glad cutscenes use the models too.

Gonna get that Platinum, anyway. Seems pretty easy... just long-winded. Got all the difficult ones (Devil Trials) anyway.

This basically is the Mario community thread.
Mario and Sonic at the NeoGAF Games discussion Thread.

Pizza and Pasta are in my fave five, you can't deny that goodness.

Mario has no edge to it that attracts people. We wouldn't be here if Sonic didn't have the cheese or the crazy fans or the handful of terrible, terrible games.

Mario has no edge to it that attracts people. We wouldn't be here if Sonic didn't have the cheese or the crazy fans or the handful of terrible, terrible games.
The biggest discussion in Mario threads is Whether SM3DW is gonna be really good or just pretty damn Solid.

ExcitNg stuff

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think most of us agreed last year and this year whenever we had discussions about it that Mario Community threads probably won't gain a lot of traction, much like how the Kirby and Zelda threads ran out of steam. Most of us discuss Mario in here, anyway, so I guess that's why. Again, "platformer general thread".

Um. I know VGCW Season 5's finale's tonight and it's going to have Sonic and Knuckles, so if it would be nice, since I won't be able to watch it tonight due to unforeseen circumstances, spoiler-tagging stuff about it and how awesome it is would be kinda nice.

And just play around with the controls and stuff. There are so many references to other games, it's not even funny. Devil May Cry, Dragon Quest, Viewtiful Joe, Sonic, Castlevania, Punch-Out!!, etc. So much representation in one game, but you kind of have to look for it at times.

Playing around with the controls and what you can do, like many other Platinum/Kamiya games, is essential to completely understanding it and finding lots of depth in it.

Um. I know VGCW Season 5's finale's tonight and it's going to have Sonic and Knuckles, so if it would be nice, since I won't be able to watch it tonight due to unforeseen circumstances, spoiler-tagging stuff about it and how awesome it is would be kinda nice.

WHAT. Tell your real-life commitments to suck a dick, this is fake video game wrestling.

Priorities, woman.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
NOPE.

But the last tutorial I taught today had people who were willing to discuss and debate, so it was nice, I guess. I had kids in my class who knew what the IMF/WB/trickle-down economics/colonialism were. The future has a chance after all... ;-;

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
WB = World Bank
IMF = International Monetary Fund.

We touched on Bretton Woods institutions and the Cold War / structural adjustment / Reagan/Thatcher / Basic Needs Policies.

Essentially, we were supposed to be discussion public health policy in relation to economics and politics, and whether or not it could be separated from politics and the economy or not. The historical impact from colonialism, research control, sexism, scapegoating, and general economics came into play.

(This is why my profs have a tendency to call me a polymath. I've basically taken everything in enough capacity to at least hold a conversation about it. I personally don't share their assertion since there's always something new to learn anyway. I just take after my dad in that respect where we just read a lot.)

It's turned all Metal Gear Solid in here, i'm staring at acronyms with bemusement.
International Monetary Fund?!
The Cold War?! HURRGH!

The biggest discussion in Mario threads is Whether SM3DW is gonna be really good or just pretty damn Solid.

ExcitNg stuff
Doesn't quite have the same broad range as "is this next Sonic going to be shit gravy or surprisingly good?"
It actually does make things more exciting.

I think most of us agreed last year and this year whenever we had discussions about it that Mario Community threads probably won't gain a lot of traction, much like how the Kirby and Zelda threads ran out of steam. Most of us discuss Mario in here, anyway, so I guess that's why. Again, "platformer general thread".
The Zelda thread was doomed from the start, a thread about Zelda discussion? on GAF? it was never going to work, the thread itself is nothing more than a shambling redead and in fact and we must now debate at each others throats what entry this representative redead comes from while pooping on the other choices, throw in some 2D purists who deny the use of redeads since all they have are Stalfos and we've got us a genuine Zelda discussion on the cards.

WB = World Bank
IMF = International Monetary Fund.

We touched on Bretton Woods institutions and the Cold War / structural adjustment / Reagan/Thatcher / Basic Needs Policies.

Essentially, we were supposed to be discussion public health policy in relation to economics and politics, and whether or not it could be separated from politics and the economy or not. The historical impact from colonialism, research control, sexism, scapegoating, and general economics came into play.

(This is why my profs have a tendency to call me a polymath. I've basically taken everything in enough capacity to at least hold a conversation about it. I personally don't share their assertion since there's always something new to learn anyway. I just take after my dad in that respect where we just read a lot.)

this post sparked about 10 different emotions within me

I think about 6 of them were fear

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's turned all Metal Gear Solid in here, i'm staring at acronyms with bemusement.
International Monetary Fund?!
The Cold War?! HURRGH!

What did I do?! D:

Lots of these international institutions were set up after World War II, and the US and UK were intimately engaged in setting these up, so I naturally assumed that people knew what I was talking about. ;-; Bretton Woods Conference is something people should know about since it impacted the world's economy for years to come. Helped facilitate the US's desire for free trade, and Britain's desire for economic stability. Of course, not everything's going to be perfect after the installation of these institutions and some people are lost in the scramble and politics. Even with the Washington Consensus, some of the stuff from Bretton Woods still affects developing nations to this day.

The Zelda thread was doomed from the start, a thread about Zelda discussion? on GAF? it was never going to work, the thread itself is nothing more than a shambling redead and in fact and we must now debate at each others throats what entry this representative redead comes from while pooping on the other choices, throw in some 2D purists who deny the use of redeads since all they have are Stalfos and we've got us a genuine Zelda discussion on the cards.
Hahahaha. Well, I think the thread was made in 2011 simply because people kept talking about timeline this and timeline that. Now that there's an actual timeline, I guess there isn't much to discuss? I'm surprised that it's not really active given that A Link Between Worlds is coming out soon.

Though to be fair, Zelda's one thing where I like to stay out of relevant threads if there's a game coming out soon since I don't want to be spoiled on anything. I benefitted from it for Skyward Sword, and I think it's going to remain that way. I'm not sure what the nature of Zelda threads are like, but given what you said, it's not necessarily something I'd like to engage in.

To continue my MGS confusion theme i'm sure those other fears were the rest of Snake Eater's cast of villains.

What did I do?! D:
The most cruel of all things, you made us feel stupid.

Hahahaha. Well, I think the thread was made in 2011 simply because people kept talking about timeline this and timeline that. Now that there's an actual timeline, I guess there isn't much to discuss? I'm surprised that it's not really active given that A Link Between Worlds is coming out soon.

Though to be fair, Zelda's one thing where I like to stay out of relevant threads if there's a game coming out soon since I don't want to be spoiled on anything. I benefitted from it for Skyward Sword, and I think it's going to remain that way. I'm not sure what the nature of Zelda threads are like, but given what you said, it's not necessarily something I'd like to engage in.

Actually i've steered mostly clear of them enough myself to the point I'm not entirely sure if that's still the case, the direction people want entries into the series to go in just started getting pulled in so many different conflicting directions surrounded by good old fashioned series ranking by the law of hyperbole (this one is the best thing ever, this similar one on the other hand is an abomination!) that it made most threads on the series turn into a right mess. It might be better now but there was certainly an off period for Zelda threads.
I'm pretty sure "make it like Dark Souls" found its origins in Zelda threads, goooood times.

Threads about more individual aspects like music, dungeon talk and stuff tend to be pretty fine though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom