• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKrockin

Actually i've steered mostly clear of them enough myself to the point I'm not entirely sure if that's still the case, the direction people want entries into the series to go in just started getting pulled in so many different conflicting directions surrounded by good old fashioned series ranking by the law of hyperbole (this one is the best thing ever, this similar one on the other hand is an abomination!) that it made most threads on the series turn into a right mess. It might be better now but there was certainly an off period for Zelda threads.
I'm pretty sure "make it like Dark Souls" found its origins in Zelda threads, goooood times.

Threads about more individual aspects like music, dungeon talk and stuff tend to be pretty fine though.

Yeah, this is a pretty good description. Another thing is I'm starting to think discussion trends like "Zelda's tutorials are getting worse" are altering people's very perception of the facts, judging by how many people mention Skyward Sword's "hours of tutorials, even worse than Twilight Princess" even though that's blatantly untrue.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't think there were tons of tutorials in Skyward Sword! And the beginning of it is far more tolerable than TP's.

Anyway, kinda chuckling at some not knowing the difference between Sega Corp. and Sega Sammy.

EDIT: Ah, yes, by the way. Remember the thread rules in the OP. No stupid fanart or photoshops, yeah? Post funny shit, sure, but remember to keep it level. Cuz I see some funny stuff in the Sega Sammy thread.

Dario ff

Banned
As long as it wasn't Nintendo buying them I'm fine with it. Niche Franchise + Small Console Userbase + Nintendo Marketing of 3rd parties... Yeah, don't need much more examples than W101 for that. That and I can't think they would've changed them LESS than SegaSammy will.

I'm worried about Atlus USA tho seeing as they stated that they're planning on some restructuring.

Yea, not really seeing the big deal either. Didn't SEGA buy some studio from the now-defunct THQ not tu long ago and they've been doing fine?

The real concern is with ATLUS USA.

Dario ff

Banned
Didn't SEGA buy some studio from the now-defunct THQ not tu long ago and they've been doing fine?
If I understand this right, this is even less of a change. That was buying a developer for Sega, the games publisher. This is switching the parent company Index to SegaSammy, so Atlus would still be its own publisher in theory.

I'm not really familiar with this so I'm probably horribly wrong, but that's my understanding on it so far.

EDIT: Well not switching, BUYING Index on its entirety. So it's even more complicated than that.

PKrockin

I don't think there were tons of tutorials in Skyward Sword! And the beginning of it is far more tolerable than TP's.

Anyway, kinda chuckling at some not knowing the difference between Sega Corp. and Sega Sammy.

EDIT: Ah, yes, by the way. Remember the thread rules in the OP. No stupid fanart or photoshops, yeah? Post funny shit, sure, but remember to keep it level. Cuz I see some funny stuff in the Sega Sammy thread.

What is the difference?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sega Sammy Holdings is the parent company that was created after Sega and Sammy merged in 2004. Sammy made Pachinko, and Sega made arcade/console games. Sammy acquired Sega in October 2004. In 2005, Sammy Studios renamed itself High Moon or something and broke away from the company, iirc, and then Sammy Europe broke away after that.

Sega Corp. is a subsidiary of Sega Sammy Holdings. Sammy Corp. is also a subsidiary of Sega Sammy Holdings.

Thus, one of the better scenarios is that Atlus is just going to be its own subsidiary and left to its own devices.

The real worry is Atlus USA, tbh. Sega of America is barely really a thing, so I have to wonder what they're going to do with both of these.

As I said elsewhere, this was the best case scenario for Atlus/Index if Atlus couldn't be independent.

Sciz

Sega Europe's been a good parent company to its acquisitions, but I'm a little less sure about the management at Sega-Sammy. Guess they wouldn't have spent the cash if they didn't have a plan in mind.

PKrockin

Sega Sammy Holdings is the parent company that was created after Sega and Sammy merged in 2004. Sammy made Pachinko, and Sega made arcade/console games. Sammy acquired Sega in October 2004. In 2005, Sammy Studios renamed itself High Moon or something and broke away from the company, iirc, and then Sammy Europe broke away after that.

Sega Corp. is a subsidiary of Sega Sammy Holdings. Sammy Corp. is also a subsidiary of Sega Sammy Holdings.

Thus, one of the better scenarios is that Atlus is just going to be its own subsidiary and left to its own devices.

The real worry is Atlus USA, tbh. Sega of America is barely really a thing, so I have to wonder what they're going to do with both of these.

As I said elsewhere, this was the best case scenario for Atlus/Index if Atlus couldn't be independent.

So, at this point Sega may not necessarily manage/direct how Atlus is run? They might be sort of left to do their own thing? Sounds alright. Like you said it's pretty amusing to see everyone flipping their shit in that thread though.

PKrockin

They forgot that Konami's Hudson purchased even happened.

It took me a good minute after reading this to remember that Hudson Soft was, for quite some time, a developer that existed and made decent games before they were taken out to the shed and their IPs thrown in the garbage.

Village

So, at this point Sega may not necessarily manage/direct how Atlus is run? They might be sort of left to do their own thing? Sounds alright. Like you said it's pretty amusing to see everyone flipping their shit in that thread though.

On this subject me and a friend were skyping about what an Atlus sonic rpg would be like, so we based of the one we both know best persona.

While fun, I hope to god that hypothetical game never comes to pass.

I wonder how easy it'll be to buy that Wind Waker bundle on Friday. I'm gonna pick up one to be given to my brother as a Christmas present in, what, three months?

Given how Wii Us sell, I don't expect this'll be hard to do.

The more I read/think about it, the Sega/Atlus blowup isn't even funny so much as it is embarrassing in how it's further exposed the fact that game enthusiasts are very rarely happy and all to eager to throw hate on something.

Even if Atlus don't wind up as their own separate subsidiary and are instead merged in to Sega somehow, the fact that Sega finally stopped localising Yakuza games after five of them bombed in the west and gave up on Valkyria Chronicles after the second didn't sell, means they're suddenly going to kill Atlus's apparently profitable, if niche, translated releases. After they've just finally taken a chance on releasing a Miku game in English territories.

Game fans aren't happy unless they've constructed some kind of enemy to rail against.

Well there's a twist!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think they would've liked to have made the announcement first if this proves to be the case.

If Bloomberg and Nikkei reported it, it holds some water.

Edit: And yeah, you're right. I was honestly a little surprised with respect to how people took the news (not to mention not exactly noting the difference between the parent company and its subsidiaries). I think after Dead Souls bombed in the west, they were kinda done with the RGG games for a bit. Honestly, them scaling back was a good idea since Sega was in the red, wasn't it? They went with sensible things to release, and that proved good for them. Sega being sensible did them favours financially despite it probably not winning them anything with various audiences.

I don't think anyone's ever going to be truly happy sometimes with a mindset where they want everything.

Edit2: Huh, so according to the PR and the Bloomberg report, the deal's with Sega Corp, so they might be subsidiary of Sega Corp, then. So wow, I really do wonder what that means for Atlus USA, then. It's them who you should be concerned about.

Regardless, I still find some of the hyperbole really... disheartening.

Edit2: Huh, so according to the PR and the Bloomberg report, the deal's with Sega Corp, so they might be subsidiary of Sega Corp, then. So wow, I really do wonder what that means for Atlus USA, then. It's them who you should be concerned about.

Sega has been really good towards its acquisitions lately, though I suppose most of those have been development houses rather than localisation/publishing places like Atlus USA. If Atlus USA are doing well financially, I don't think Sega would scuttle them. Just an extra asset/income stream.

Tizoc

What franchises from THQ did SEGA acquire? All things considered, doesn't SEGA function as the publisher of majority of their western releases on PC and consoles?

What franchises from THQ did SEGA acquire? All things considered, doesn't SEGA function as the publisher of majority of their western releases on PC and consoles?

Company of Heroes and the Warhammer 40k license, the two franchises Relic Games worked on.

SEGA is a PC publisher now. Excluding Sonic and, er, Miku.

Razzer

Anyone seen the latest trailer (the one from shops) for Lost World? It looks pretty good compared to some of the other ones tbh. The controls are still in question but the wisps all look pretty funky. Optimism rising for me maybe???

qq more

Is it me or is the 3D pretty dang strong in Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask? Like... to the point my eyes were actually getting bothered. I always play 3DS games in full 3D with little issues until now.

Miracle Mask rocks some of the strongest 3D on the console, I love it but at the same time I couldn't leave it on max otherwise me eyes would start packing their bags in preparation for a swift abandonment of the premises.

And that Lost World footage looks a bit more promising than most of the recent stuff shown.

Now I'm getting bummed that Lost World ain't coming to PS3. Ah well.

My copy of GTA showed up. It's a damn polished piece of work already. Lamarr is hilarious.

Razzer

I really want to see a FF7 remake on the 3DS for the same reasons LOL

I'm so torn over whether I want one. On the one hand it's a great game that could do with a paint job and some balancing maybe. On the other there is no evidence square wouldn't ruin it by trying to fit in expanded universe bullshit (which I refuse to believe is canon).

qq more

I'm so torn over whether I want one. On the one hand it's a great game that could do with a paint job and some balancing maybe. On the other there is no evidence square wouldn't ruin it by trying to fit in expanded universe bullshit (which I refuse to believe is canon).

And they would make Cloud all emo and stuff

And they would make Cloud all emo and stuff
To be fair, there's Disc 2 of the original...
where he basically goes completely catatonic and tries to figure out wtf is wrong with him how could this happen why does life suck etc. It's so bad, Cid has to be appointed team leader briefly

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hm. I think I woke up with a sore throat and a fever. Haha. I'll see how I feel after I take some medicine or something.

It's probably because I kept my fan on or something. I know exactly why this happened now, and qq more might, too.

On the other there is no evidence square wouldn't ruin it by trying to fit in expanded universe bullshit (which I refuse to believe is canon).
They would, which is why a remake would never be kosher in this day and age. It's one of those topics that I honestly can't stand being brought up in threads simply because people don't take that into account. They got away with a lot in 1997/1998, some of which you can't get away with now.

It's not going to fucking happen now. And if it did, it'd take SE 10 years to make.

And the music sounds great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom