• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions from the Sonic Retro IRC channel:
justasplanned.jpg

BlackJace

My bad feeling is that it will essentially be Battlefield 4: The Content that Was Cut Out of Battlefield 3 at the Last Second. Oh, and More Graphics.

And Always-Online + Micro-Transactions

I can believe it being CG. This video already showed me that people can pretty much do anything with CG and right setup.

I feel like I have a pretty good eye for hoaxes and I don't think I believed this for a moment. The "camera going out of focus" effect looks like it was added in post (wrong kind of blur), there's too much motion blur when the camera moves, even though the camera is jerking around a lot it's still way too steady for the kind of shots he's shooting, and there's the simple fact that when he spins the camera around as the object goes over his rooftop, he would have to bend at an impossible angle in order for us to be able to see the seat's headrest like we do.

I was going to say that probably that entire scene is CG, but it looks like the VFX breakdown confirms that fact for me.

The kind of CG it would take to render Joakim Mogren in a photo-realistic style barely even exists in the pre-rendered space; the best examples of so-called photo-realistic CG take hours or even days to render a single frame. The degree of detail, lighting, and animation required for that to exist in a videogame is probably a minimum of two hardware generations away, probably more. As in, 15-20+ years from now.

It's either that, or Joakim is the first CG to ever fool me in to thinking it was the real thing - and I sincerely doubt that.

Tizoc

So in Megaman #23
Dr. Wily drops Dr. Eggman's name, seems he was busy in the background during Rock and co's adventures in the past few issues XO.
Also Blues can do some serious damage.
lol @ 15-Minute-Breakman tho

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Personally I think a clone of Demons Souls would work amazingly with the Megaman formula, if they do a new 3D Megaman I think it needs to be done like Demon Souls. If its a 2D reboot just bring back Universe but get rid of the awful art style.

Also for non-fans of Megaman, what would they have to do to get you into the series.

tumblr_m6gjp4dYzq1rys4czo1_500.gif

Um, excuse me?

The only series I'd honestly like to see Platinum tackle is Shinobi. Shinobi was all about the crazy, over the top scenarios (Surfboarding and fighting a giant waste monster in Shinobi III, pretty much every boss fight in Revenge of Shinobi, fighting on top of a damn F-15 in Shinobi 3DS...) and if there's one thing Platinum does well, it's crazy, over the top scenarios. And they already have Shinobi PS2 as a good reference point for how combat can work.

Aside from that, though... I can't really fathom why GAF seems to want them to work on everything. I like their games, but jeez

qq more

I should make a checklist for every thread about gaming reboots or whatever else prompts people to shout "PLATINUM GAMES" "RETRO STUDIOS" "DEMON/DARK SOULS". Is there anything else other than those 3?

Treasure gets thrown around occasionally, though it's usually in reference to Star Fox.

That does bring up an interesting question, though: What are Treasure doing these days?

qq more

Treasure gets thrown around occasionally, though it's usually in reference to Star Fox.

That does bring up an interesting question, though: What are Treasure doing these days?

In their defense, anything would be better than that DS game that we shall not name.

I seriously won't mind if Treasure makes the next Star Fox though. They're pretty good with rail shooters!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I woke up late. Like... Bean time late. Like... 3:30 pm EDT late. @___@

Regardless, this is going to get done today. I don't know what I'm doing. It's weird seeing this game in English. Too used to having speedruns in the background of this.

dsc00513swjea.jpg

But oh boy, lots of stuff to respond to first.

Jump! Jump! Slide! Slide!
Oddly, I didn't have a lot of issues with that.

I had issues with a lot of other stuff. I'm not a super-huge fan of gimmick platformers, but some of the levels and level design bother me.

We may ay-be abow to rocate an-udda energy emission from da wadaw woom. When we find dat meteah, we'w find Doctah Whywee!
And oddly, I didn't have a lot of issues with that, either!

The voice acting is crap, though. Wily was probably the best one.

Grab US PSN codes for $120: $50 to renew your Plus and get $10 back in April, another $60 for any other games you wanna get so you'll get ANOTHER $10 in April
and $10 for me since it'll help me get a clean $200 spendings by the end of April~

Darkstalkers series is THE epitome of 2D fighting game animation of the 90s.
Default speeds in 3 are Normal and Turbo 3, in Revenge its Normal and Turbo 1.
I recommend you spend as much time as you want just SEEING how the game animates and all the magnificent animations that take place when an opponent gets electrocuted, transformed, burned or DECAPITATED.
I think I already spent the free $10 Sony gave me. Dunno what else I could get on PSN if I buy it, though (*feels Noi poking her in the back to buy CVHD and Magic 2013*). Kinda need to budget a little bit buuuuuuut I'll see what I can do.

As for Darkstalkers, I think I might do that. That's what I genuinely get a kick out of in fighters, even though I'm kinda suck at them. I just like seeing things animate and the care and attention to detail that go into the animated sprites. I dunno why I like that kind of stuff, but maybe it's because I'm old.

The only SNK games that have had great animation during the Neo Geo era are, IMO:
Garou
Last Blade
Oh God, why'd you bring up Last Blade and Garou? *cries in the corner*

We're never getting anymore of those.

Iizuka-san turned 43 today, be sure to give him his birthday wishes!
Bonne fete, Lord Iizuka-sama!

(He's only 43? Wow.)

SonicGAF

this

never do this

please
We were discussing the absurdity of this yesterday. That's why I was wondering why you didn't twitch when I brought the issue up before since people were talking about it in the Revengeance spoiler thread... and...

Personally I think a clone of Demons Souls would work amazingly with the Megaman formula, if they do a new 3D Megaman I think it needs to be done like Demon Souls. If its a 2D reboot just bring back Universe but get rid of the awful art style.
I'm sorry.

Excuse me?

What...

qq more

Oh right

I forgot people wanted Mega Man to be like Ratchet and Clank

stop trying to make Mega Man be like another franchise you jerks :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So, uh, how many stars do I need to beat the game in Super Mario 64? I can't imagine it's all 120.

GAF, I'm gonna call for a ban on "X game needs to be like Dark/Demon's Souls!"

Not every fuckin video game franchise needs to be like Dark Souls

There's nothing wrong with the MM formula. It doesn't need to be Demon's Souls, or Retro/Platinum reboot, or Metroidvania, or whatever. How about just another great Mega Man game, huh, Capcom?

XzLaF7Y.gif
JC
0uYJ565.gif

Regardless, this is going to get done today. I don't know what I'm doing. It's weird seeing this game in English. Too used to having speedruns in the background of this.

dsc00513swjea.jpg

I'm oddly intrigued by how this is going to go down.

By the time you're done you'll say
it would've been better if it were like Dark Souls!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The camera feels strange.

This is an early 3D platformer, so I can see why. In a historical sense, I'm kind of impressed with it so far.

Yikes at the font.

The camera...

qq more

Would be interesting fusion to say the least (And I love R&C to pieces)

Like I said in the other thread, I've honestly never played those games but I prefer Mega Man just doing its own thing instead of copying other franchises.

Then again I'll actually be okay with the fusion if it's a side game instead of a reboot. I don't think Mega Man even needs a reboot.

On a side note I should really check out R&C one of these days!

Like I said in the other thread, I've honestly never played those games but I prefer Mega Man just doing its own thing instead of copying other franchises.

Then again I'll actually be okay with the fusion if it's a side game instead of a reboot. I don't think Mega Man even needs a reboot.

On a side note I should really check out R&C one of these days!

The HD Collection is a really good place to start. It also has the best game in the series (Up Your Arsenal)

You know I wonder what the kids these days will have as their equivalent of The SM64 Eel, OoT redeads and various other things that are oddly scary in games that tend to be pretty cheery?
Part of me thinks that the early 3D visuals had something to do with it, I mean Wind Waker Redeads make me laugh, TP ones are like swordsman mummies which just ain't the same as those wooden faced death humping machines.
As for Mario I can't imagine kids being creeped out by like the Bouldergeist either, maybe I need to think out of the box like those rolling spiky fellas in NSMBU.
Then again the oddest things could unerve me back then, the painting to Lethal Lava Land was like PURE EVIL.

For Sonic related terror maybe back in the day having Sandopolis Act 2 get dimmer and dimmer with the ghosts slowly sneaking in was the series very own Eel, but modern games? I just can't see anything that would work, aside from Sonic 06 in general, that's some spine chilling stuff for other reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom