• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razzer

The recent stories for Sonic seem to be lacking rather than the gameplay (which isn't perfect but it's okay).

True, but that's more down to a decision not to focus on story rather than bad writing. Some people thing the writing has improved thanks to the saturday morning cartoon vibe to it. And if impressions of lost world are anything to go by the gameplay (or design more importantly) might still need a bit of work to be done consistently. Sonic doesn't need big stories really, it's a gameplay focused series.

TimmiT

Tyson Hesse (known for Boxer Hockey and Coldman's avatar) did the standard cover for Archie Sonic issue #258:
tumblr_mwhbldFVEF1qgbzcro1_1280.png

http://tysonhesse.tumblr.com/post/67400507990/this-year-i-got-to-fulfill-a-childhood-fantasy-and

TheOGB

Banned
Ha, I knew that was a Hesse cover! I looked at Sally and recognized it immediately. Guy does really nice covers for Adventure Time and Bravest Warriors.

Spinluck

So I bought a PS4 for almost no reason at all, I kinda hate myself for doing so since I was waiting for the Infamous bundle and I was gonna buy a bunch of Wii U stuff this fall. But whatever. I made my sub-account back when I was 17 when I first got my PS3, and out of all the times that I've lied about my age to access some kind of conent.. I don't do it here (I was under the assumption that I could upgrade my account once I was 18). So I'm stuck with a sub account that can't use some of the PS4's cool features.

By the time there are a plethora of worthwhile games on here, Sony will probably have some kind of Sub Account promotion anyway. I'm pretty sure that Sony rep prematurely let that information out last week in fact. Anyway, add me on PSN: Mrp7792-X

I will probably be on a bit this week, until Super Mario 3D World is out :-3. My Wii U ID is Spindasher.

Rikkun

<3

I could not bring myself to finish the first Neptunia either. There was so much wrong with it that I just couldn't do it. The second one's actually pretty decent in terms of gameplay. The third one seems really unbalanced so far, which is surprising.

Does Konami still care a lot about PES to make it one of its big titles? Konami doesn't seem to care about a lot of things. -_-

I felt so embarassed for the voices and the cutscenes, I usually don't care about silly characters if the game is good but jesus I couldn't stand a thing in that game. Luckily I didn't play enough to find out if there were other kawaiifications of consoles.

About Konami.. they only care about Kojima I guess.
They still owe me a new Ganbare Goemon. A decent one please. Or even an HD port of the N64 games.

To end the post, I exchanged PES for Wii Party U, because I'm sure someone will gift me Sawneec LW for christmas and I needed a Wiimote..

Off the top of my head:
BlazBlue soundtracks
Guilty Gear
Street fighter soundtracks
SNK soundtracks
Manowar if you like metal
Mario and Luigi series soundtracks

Thanks.

You should mix and match. Also what are you looking for? Orchestral stuff, retro tones, more electronic music?

What kind of soundtracks were you looking for, first of all? You're asking a ton of SotY participants in here, haha.

I've been on a bit of a retro kick lately. Went back and listened to all the old Rare games tracks (David Wise and Grant Kirkhope rock), been listening to Chrono Trigger, Mario games, stuff like that. So I think I'm set on that.

Let's see here... Maybe a mixture. Rock, electronic, and Ambience if you could.

PKrockin

I used to think Sonic 3 was really easy, but after playing it over Skype with my siblings...

My sister couldn't make it past Hydrocity Act 2, and my brother got to Marble Garden, got a game over on the Act 2 boss, and said "No. This zone sucks and I don't want to play it again. I quit." Then he started playing Binding of Isaac.

The beginning of Hydrocity Act 2 scared the hell out of my sister. She got two game overs there because she kept panicking. lol. Then she would have to fight that tough Act 1 miniboss again.

So, yeah, maybe my perspective of Sonic 3 is colored by how much I've played it and maybe it is kind of a tricky game.

Racing games over Skype or Google Hangout is pretty fun if you get a few friends interested, by the way. Just have everyone broadcasting their game screen.

We were much better at video games as children because mass casualization hadn't happened yet and every video game was at least moderately difficult.

Razzer

I used to think Sonic 3 was really easy, but after playing it over Skype with my siblings...

My sister couldn't make it past Hydrocity Act 2, and my brother got to Marble Garden, got a game over on the Act 2 boss, and said "No. This zone sucks and I don't want to play it again. I quit." Then he started playing Binding of Isaac.

The beginning of Hydrocity Act 2 scared the hell out of my sister. She got two game overs there because she kept panicking. lol. Then she would have to fight that tough Act 1 miniboss again.

So, yeah, maybe my perspective of Sonic 3 is colored by how much I've played it and maybe it is kind of a tricky game.

Racing games over Skype or Google Hangout is pretty fun if you get a few friends interested, by the way. Just have everyone broadcasting their game screen.

Imagine playing with friends with Oculus Rift in racing games. Now that would be cool.

Edit: Also I'm looking for OSTs now CC, will come back in a while.

Sciz

It warms my heart to see so much of MarioGAF finally notice that Sega's been doing Mario arrangement albums for years now.

Tizoc

Sorry for asking this but could someone link to that post or article about the flaws of Jak 2?
Flaws may not be the proper word but I want to read it, please.

Pietepiet

Archie's gotten pretty good about cultivating fresh talent from the fanbase. Wouldn't be surprised to see him doing an interior story or two within the year.

No kidding! I remember seeing stuff by Matt Herms and the like before they were doing Archie.

Man, I'd kill to do a pixel-art variant for them...

Sciz

No kidding! I remember seeing stuff by Matt Herms and the like before they were doing Archie.

Man, I'd kill to do a pixel-art variant for them...

Hey, send in a portfolio, they might bite.

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #56

Song: Frog Forest
Game: Sonic Heroes
Composer: Jun Senoue
Guitars: Jun Senoue
Bass: Takeshi Taneda
Drums: Toru Kawamura

One forest after another.

Frog Forest is in need of a melody as badly as the rest of Heroes' music, but unlike much of the rest, it manages to get by without one and still be memorable. Synth sitar, acoustic guitar, and a drumbeat that'd make Ohtani proud is a combination that sticks in your head. The fact that most of the song consists of a single six second loop is memorable for different reasons, but it's the sort of mindless, relaxing background loop that you aren't consciously aware of enough to be bothered by the repetition, appropriate for a breather level like Frog Forest.

(tomorrow: Green Forest, followed by WOOD ZONE okay not really)

Banjo-Kazooie_-_Target.jpg

I need Banjo Kazooie 4. Sad that "Nintendo to buy Banjo and other Rare IP" rumor was false.

Really hoping A Hat In Time turns out well. While not BK, it looks like it will have at least some of the charm.

Razzer

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #56

Song: Frog Forest
Game: Sonic Heroes
Composer: Jun Senoue
Guitars: Jun Senoue
Bass: Takeshi Taneda
Drums: Toru Kawamura

Hey, Mystic Mansion and egg fleet are good too! Anyway, what's up with the CONSTANT shingly(?) noises in the background here? That noise gets really irritating after a while. This is really repetitive like you say. The instrumentation reminds me of Big's music in SA1 for some reason. But the melody that is there is not all that bad honestly. This belongs in the 'decidedly inoffensive' category to me. And I would not mind us having Green Forest, I love that song haha.

Not much of a fan of Heroes music but Frog Forest is one of the brighter spots in a pretty weak back end to the soundtrack, same goes for the stage itself really.
The theme has a pretty nice chilled out feel though, I feel those "shingly" noises Razzer mentioned actually help this vibe.

Went back and listened to all the old Rare games tracks (David Wise and Grant Kirkhope rock)
Why yes they do Crimson, yes they do.
Maybe the Banjo Kazooie Symphony will be of interest to you. It may be synthetic but its damn good.

I remember in a thread at some point this year I pointed out that this section is pretty damn jarring for so early in the game (as well as so early in a stage) and very capable of taking lives of a new player, these deaths kind of vindicate my stance.
Coming to think of it both the Act 1 boss and start of Act 2 benefit from fully understanding how the spindash in an asset in both situations, perhaps this plays a role as well.

Jak II has no flaws it was simply made for a gamer that is more skilled than the norm.
Then I'll happily call myself captain inept as I want no part of risking association with the torture device masquerading as a video game.

black-kid-oh-snap.gif

i4TcPkBknMJHN.png

B-but she hasn't...

In a "kinda sorta" way, she has. Granted, she's never successful... but it's the thought that counts, I guess. She tried her best to defy Barty and Orphan. She tried her best to defy Caius. She failed both times and needed a Deus Ex Machina the first time and a "Fuck you, I'm freezing my ass for a later date" the second time. Really, the only time she succeeded was in the Dissidia universe where she said "Fuck you" to Cosmos.

Why yes they do Crimson, yes they do.
Maybe the Banjo Kazooie Symphony will be of interest to you. It may be synthetic but its damn good.

Bought the album the first day it was available. Good stuff. Hope he does Tooie as well.

I'm glad you are on the few not completly disregarding Nuts and Bolts.

I mean, I have my problems with the game (the car physics are a bit wonky, the platforming can be frustrating, it takes too long to get the more interesting parts, the missions are way too simple and repetitious, etc), but I wouldn't call it a bad game. It definitely need more time to cook in the development oven so to speak and it's definitely not the game I would have ever asked for nor expected, but I liked it well enough. Might do a retrospective on it later since I'm currently working my way through the BK series again.

Noi

Knack isn't a platformer though...

still funny

I've been playing Lego Marvel for way too long. I see Legos in my sleep now.

I've been playing Lego Marvel for way too long. I see Legos in my sleep now.
I almost feel bad for zoning out and playing Lost World as you finally unlocked Stan Lee. Still, that game really needs clearing. (Up to Silent Forest 1 now.)

At least I got to see what your final golden brick challenge was. "If you want to earn this golden brick, SOLVE MY MAZE"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom