• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nert

Finally getting around to listening to the Before the Sequel OST due to Schala's frequent recommendations. I want to write more about it later when I have more time (moving is a time consuming and tedious process), but my initial impression: wow! This is great.

Also, I am downloading Sonic Generations from Steam once more to go through the Unleashed day levels. I might actually be talking about Sonic related things in this thread again before too long!

Edit: Oh my god, yes.

Tizoc

Thanks for fixing the OT Sciz! I'll use the format you wrote, I wrote mine in a bit of rush since I was also at work X3.

I'll write up about Runner2 here later on but, I'm just gonna vent for a few minutes
THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU YOU STUPID KEYBOARD?!?!?! WHY CAN'T YOU COP1?!?!?!?! WHY CAN'T YOU PASTE?!?!?!?!!? WHAT IS WRONG WITH BOTH YOUR FUCKING CONTROL KEYS?!!?!?!?!?!?!?
I'm restarting this thing when I have a break, freakin' hell >=/

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Playing a platformer with a keyboard? Tsk. Even I can't do that, and I use keyboards for RPGs. Seriously, both the FFMQ LP and the FF4 LP? Did all of it with the keyboard even though a controller would have been much better for something like FFMQ. I wonder if that's why I got tired at the beginning of my FF6 LP.

Though it depends on the platformer. If it's fine with keyboard and built with a keyboard in mind, it's alright. Runner seems like it's supposed to be done with a controller. Sonic? Controller. Super Meat Boy? Eh... keyboard.

Wonder what else Sciz added to the OP. Edit: kinda want to suggest this as a banner or something

960fUX0.jpg

Finally getting around to listening to the Before the Sequel OST due to Schala's frequent recommendations. I want to write more about it later when I have more time (moving is a time consuming and tedious process), but my initial impression: wow! This is great.

Edit: Oh my god, yes.
VGMdb page is here. Has all the liner notes, performers, where the BGMs took nods from, single composer credits, etc. Also links to where you can get it in mp3 or flac depending on which format you want.

I think I truly appreciate the variety more than anything else. You know I go for that first and foremost whenever I listen to a soundtrack.

Wait, that's a lie. I go for bass first and foremost. Then variety.

Tizoc

Double posting to say the blasted keyboard got fixed so now I don't have to smash it =V

Runner2 is good stuff, yo. Not stupid ass hard like the first one was, but it's challenging and engaging like few other games. Play it on Rather Hard, go for all the Gold, have fun.

I'll be doing Hard for a trophy, but duno if I'd dare play it on all stages. Game is fine on Normal and Easy, and I have a blast playing on Normal.

I want to believe this, it looks nice but I can't forgive that turd of a UFO dropping crystal patterns right in front of my face requiring split second reactions or else you repeat the previous 3 minutes all over again, and again, and again. To think that was but the first world.

Nah man this game is easy peasy once you figure the stage layout and timings. I've heard that the first was hard but this one is do-able even for a first timer like me.
Step up your game brah!

Editing as we speak. I want to know what Sciz has to add to it, though, because I'm adding a few things as well. I fixed grammar, punctuation, some style, and some formatting already. I also added in some tags. I also added that the Mega Man comics included some nods to Super Adventure Rockman.
I actually was considering also putting pages from the comic to motivate more people into reading it like when Megaman
headshot Heatman among other pages

Overall, good idea to put the disclaimer in there considering how the announcement thread went. I think it's pretty decent so far. Just fixed some of the formatting, spacing, style, morphology, etc. Might either PM or post some stuff here when I'm done. I had to fix the FCBD thing, though, because some people mightn't know what Free Comic Book Day is, so I extended it instead of leaving it as an acronym.
I'll add any extra stuff I like from yours to what Sciz wrote =3
It'd be a joint effort in this case of me, Sciz, you and Bean ;D

Are you planning on putting in the cover pictures for most of the issues? Including the variants?
Yup but mainly non-spoiler covers, there's a wikia that has a few which I'll use.

I love Sonic Unleashed and even I wouldn't want Eggmanland. At all.

*shivers* the memories of beating it on the PS2.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I actually was considering also putting pages from the comic to motivate more people into reading it like when Megaman
headshot Heatman among other pages
5EwGsfC.png

I'll add any extra stuff I like from yours to what Sciz wrote =3
It'd be a joint effort in this case of me, Sciz, you and Bean ;D
Hooray! If you need last-minute proofreading, I'll be up for a while working on some Powerpoints.

*shivers* the memories of beating it on the PS2.
Actually, I thought the PS2/Wii version of Eggmanland was better than the HD version. Mostly because it allowed the player to take a break between segments instead of making it one gigantic gauntlet of a level.

The bad parts of the werehog play were on display in that level, though. From the pipewalking to some of the combat to the lack of werehog speed, etc.

"Friday Purples" is still the best song in that soundtrack and you will have a hard time convincing me otherwise

Playing a platformer with a keyboard? Tsk. Even I can't do that, and I use keyboards for RPGs. Seriously, both the FFMQ LP and the FF4 LP? Did all of it with the keyboard even though a controller would have been much better for something like FFMQ. I wonder if that's why I got tired at the beginning of my FF6 LP.

Though it depends on the platformer. If it's fine with keyboard and built with a keyboard in mind, it's alright. Runner seems like it's supposed to be done with a controller. Sonic? Controller. Super Meat Boy? Eh... keyboard.
Actually, I can boil it down even further.

2D? Digital movement? Keyboard is great! Besides, the only controller I have access to is a wired 360 one, and I'm not interested in playing a 2D game with that shitty D-Pad or any analog stick.

2D? Analog movement? Could go either way; depends on how essential that analog movement is. Despite Super Meat Boy mocking me for not using a controller, it plays fine with a keyboard.

3D? Digital movement? Kind of odd to find a platformer doing that; does it use WASD+mouse or something? 'Cuz that's probably fine.

3D? Analog movement? Controller is almost certainly better. That said, I cleared most of Super Mario 64 on an emulator with a keyboard for my first playthrough, so I guess I'm a little more resilient toward this than some.

Or in terms relevant to this thread: I can't play Modern Sonic with a keyboard very effectively (drifting is the worst part), but I can play Classic Sonic very easily.

Quackula

2D? Analog movement? Could go either way; depends on how essential that analog movement is. Despite Super Meat Boy mocking me for not using a controller, it plays fine with a keyboard.

I think this is honestly REALLY dependent on the game itself, what kind of controls it was originally made for, etc.

Some more complex 2D games can require some really crazy spider-fingers to pull off on a keyboard.

Tizoc

I can play platformers on a keyboard, heck I can play 2D fighters on a keyboard too. SF4 controlled fine to me when I played it~

Slermy

I had totally meant to post this:

@Tizoc, I had help with coming up with ideas for some parts of it, so if you’re going to credit people, I’d politely ask that you credit Bean as well.

I might add some stuff in later.

Yeah, run with it. Here ya go.

----

Disclaimer: Please do not post comments such as “Mega Man: Cancelled”, “I never asked for this”, etc. If you have no interest in reading this crossover series, please don’t bother posting.

Introduction:

“Worlds Collide” is a 12-part comic book crossover event between Archie’s Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man comic book series. According to Archie editor Paul Kaminski, Sega and Capcom signed off on the crossover event prior to 2011’s New York Comic Con. It was only natural that the Blue Bomber and the Blue Blur would meet in one lengthy and exciting crossover.

The entire story arc will take place across 3 comic book series: Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and Mega Man. It will span 4 months from April until August with a total of 12-13 issues, and will be written primarily by Ian Flynn, the main writer for all 3 comic series. It will also feature cover art by Patrick “Spaz” Spaziante, longtime artist for the Sonic comic book series and for the earlier Mega Man issues.

The schedule is as follows:

Prologue:

Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide Part 0 - Sonic/Mega Man Free Comic Book Day 2013

(The Free Comic Book Day 2013 issue from Archie will contain pages from Sonic 247 & Megaman 23, and counts as issue #0, though it may not be necessary to read.)​

Act One: Kindred Spirits:
Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide Part 1 - Mega Man Issue 24
Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide Part 2 - Sonic Universe Issue 51
Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide Part 3 - Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 248
Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide Part 4 - Mega Man Issue 25​

Arc Two: Into the Warzone

Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide Part 5 - Sonic Universe Issue 52
Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide Part 6 - Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 249
Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide Part 7 - Mega Man Issue 26
Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide Part 8 - Sonic Universe Issue 53​

Arc Three: Chaos Clash

Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide Part 9 - Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 250
Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide Part 10 - Mega Man Issue 27
Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide Part 11 - Sonic Universe Issue 54
Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide Part 12 - Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 251​

The crossover arc issues can be purchased either digitally from websites such as comixology, or you may purchase them from their Local Comic Shop.

If you want to catch up on the series in general (ie: not as part of this comic crossover) and be up to date with it, here’s the essential reading order:
  • Sonic series: Start with Sonic the Hedgehog #160, then begin reading the Sonic Universe issues when the main book mentions it.
  • Mega Man series: Volumes 1-4 are now available in TPB format and comprise of the events that take place from Mega Man 1, Powered-Up!, Super Adventure Rockman, and Mega Man 2. Prior to the crossover arc, the comics began to foreshadow events for Mega Man 3.

Both series are available digitally or by purchasing from local retailers.

A few things to keep in mind when trying to read the Sonic comic: This series has featured many characters and settings (ex: Mobius, Knothole, Robotropolis, etc) introduced exclusively in the comic, and to newcomers reading it they will notice it referencing events and stories from past issues. I strongly suggest not worrying about them since they, for the most part, don’t get brought up again. Just focus on the current story and characters, and you’ll end up not caring for past events too much. The writing since issue #160 has become much stronger and the narrative and subplots have become more engaging to readers.

The Mega Man comic is a must read for anyone who has ever enjoyed the main Mega Man series, as it is a wonderful adaptation of many of the games. It also makes references to real issues in terms of modern robotics while still making some pop culture references. Besides the intelligent and well-researched writing, the artwork for all of the arcs can be considered a major asset. Archie typically rotates their artists for different arcs in order to allow multiple artists to improve and adapt their skills throughout the story arc. Some may view this as an inconsistency, but overall, it keeps the art fresh, and it’s interesting to see different people’s takes on Mega Man’s art while sticking to specifications in terms of proportions and inks. Anyone who’s a fan of Mega Man for its narrative arcs, the video games, or the art should strongly consider giving the comic series a chance.​

Cover art from certain issues:

(And I’m guessing this is all cover arts, right?)

Looks like they'll be selling the Acts as compliations as well:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1936975688/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'll try to get it finalized by the next few days and post it next week @_@.
You still have plenty of time. First issue's not out until April 10th, but you can post it the week of the 3rd since it'll meet the whole "post OT one week before" criteria.

I think this is honestly REALLY dependent on the game itself, what kind of controls it was originally made for, etc.

Some more complex 2D games can require some really crazy spider-fingers to pull off on a keyboard.
And this is where my tiny hands become incredibly inefficient at keyboard input for a platformer. The more complex it is, the more I cry out for a more complex controller than a keyboard.

2D? Digital movement? Keyboard is great! Besides, the only controller I have access to is a wired 360 one, and I'm not interested in playing a 2D game with that shitty D-Pad or any analog stick.

3D? Analog movement? Controller is almost certainly better. That said, I cleared most of Super Mario 64 on an emulator with a keyboard for my first playthrough, so I guess I'm a little more resilient toward this than some.
I could never ever think of doing that, just because I feel like a controller is absolutely necessary for that game now.

2D digital movement could be okay, but it really depends on the platformer for me. Speedruns, though? I need a darn controller for that for sure.

Looks like they'll be selling the Acts as compliations as well:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1936975688/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Oh wow, thanks for this. I was wondering if they were going to do this and I'm super-glad they are! Will double-dip provided I have the funds for it. I'm so excited for this.

I saw that in Toys R Us and had the same reaction, lol.

I could never ever think of doing that, just because I feel like a controller is absolutely necessary for that game now.
It works amazingly well, actually. Most of the game has you running full-tilt anyway - your only real problem would be sleeping piranha plants and Bowser fights. Actually, on that note: never, ever play the Bowser fights on a keyboard. Twirling the arrow keys in the correct motion repeatedly and efficiently is not especially easy to do.

I saw that in Toys R Us and had the same reaction, lol.
My reaction:

tumblr_mjw7xiYx821qmc5obo1_400.gif

(Source Filmmaker is so great a thing to have)

Sciz

Thanks for fixing the OT Sciz! I'll use the format you wrote, I wrote mine in a bit of rush since I was also at work X3.

Wonder what else Sciz added to the OP. Edit: kinda want to suggest this as a banner or something

I've got ideas, but haven't started any real work yet. Two midterms in two days plus assorted other project work means I don't yet have the three-hour block I usually end up taking for my longer writing.

Keyboards (occasionally plus mouse) are fine for everything unless the game absolutely demands analog control or you frequently need to push four buttons at once, which mostly consists of flight sims and Mega Man X. </mid90sPCgaming4lyfe>

Tizoc

I think you said, Schala, that it doesn't need to be an OT, more of a discussion thread at one point @_@.

Reason I feel we it should be out earlier is to have more people be ready for it, 1 week might not be enough for some to catch up to the main series, especially the Sonic comics.

Tizoc

Disclaimer: Please do not post comments such as “Mega Man: Cancelled”, “I never asked for this”, etc. If you have no interest in reading this crossover series, please don’t bother posting.

*This can be like the header/banner, would appreciate someone photoshopping it for that purpose
SU_51.jpg

Presented by Tizoc, Sciz & Dark Schala

Introduction:

“Worlds Collide” is a 12-part comic book crossover event between Archie’s Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man comic book series. According to Archie editor Paul Kaminski, Sega and Capcom signed off on the crossover event prior to 2011’s New York Comic Con. It was only natural that the Blue Bomber and the Blue Blur would meet in one lengthy and exciting crossover.

The entire story arc will take place across 3 comic book series: Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and Mega Man. It will span 4 months from April until August with a total of 12-13 issues, and will be written primarily by Ian Flynn, the main writer for all 3 comic series. It will also feature cover art by Patrick “Spaz” Spaziante, longtime artist for the Sonic comic book series and for the earlier Mega Man issues.

The schedule is as follows:

Prologue:

Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide Part 0 - Sonic/Mega Man Free Comic Book Day 2013

(The Free Comic Book Day 2013 issue from Archie will contain pages from Sonic 247 & Megaman 23, and counts as issue #0, though it may not be necessary to read.)​

Act One: Kindred Spirits:
Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide Part 1 - Mega Man Issue 24
Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide Part 2 - Sonic Universe Issue 51
Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide Part 3 - Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 248
Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide Part 4 - Mega Man Issue 25​

Arc Two: Into the Warzone

Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide Part 5 - Sonic Universe Issue 52
Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide Part 6 - Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 249
Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide Part 7 - Mega Man Issue 26
Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide Part 8 - Sonic Universe Issue 53​

Arc Three: Chaos Clash

Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide Part 9 - Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 250
Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide Part 10 - Mega Man Issue 27
Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide Part 11 - Sonic Universe Issue 54
Sonic & Mega Man: Worlds Collide Part 12 - Sonic the Hedgehog Issue 251​

The crossover arc issues can be purchased either digitally from websites such as comixology, or you may purchase them from their Local Comic Shop.

If you want to catch up on the series in general (ie: not as part of this comic crossover) and be up to date with it, here’s the essential reading order:
  • Sonic series: Start with Sonic the Hedgehog #160, then begin reading the Sonic Universe issues when the main book mentions it.
  • Mega Man series: Volumes 1-4 are now available in TPB format and comprise of the events that take place from Mega Man 1, Powered-Up!, Super Adventure Rockman, and Mega Man 2. Prior to the crossover arc, the comics began to foreshadow events for Mega Man 3.

Both series are available digitally or by purchasing from local retailers.

A few things to keep in mind when trying to read the Sonic comic: This series has featured many characters and settings (ex: Mobius, Knothole, Robotropolis, etc) introduced exclusively in the comic, and to newcomers reading it they will notice it referencing events and stories from past issues. I strongly suggest not worrying about them since they, for the most part, don’t get brought up again. Just focus on the current story and characters, and you’ll end up not caring for past events too much. The writing since issue #160 has become much stronger and the narrative and subplots have become more engaging to readers.

The Mega Man comic is a must read for anyone who has ever enjoyed the main Mega Man series, as it is a wonderful adaptation of many of the games. It also makes references to real issues in terms of modern robotics while still making some pop culture references. Besides the intelligent and well-researched writing, the artwork for all of the arcs can be considered a major asset. Archie typically rotates their artists for different arcs in order to allow multiple artists to improve and adapt their skills throughout the story arc. Some may view this as an inconsistency, but overall, it keeps the art fresh, and it’s interesting to see different people’s takes on Mega Man’s art while sticking to specifications in terms of proportions and inks. Anyone who’s a fan of Mega Man for its narrative arcs, the video games, or the art should strongly consider giving the comic series a chance.​

I've put the covers in quotes, but if someone could resize them I'd appreciate it
Cover art from certain issues:

What do you think guys?

qq more

Looks great so far! I hope there won't be as many shit-posting as there were in the announcement thread, that was awful. So yeah I'm totally glad the disclaimer is there.

Pietepiet

I personally think #225 is a better jump-off point for Sonic than #160, but maybe that's because I already knew a bunch of the characters.

Looks great so far! I hope there won't be as many shit-posting as there were in the announcement thread, that was awful. So yeah I'm totally glad the disclaimer is there.

There's definitely going to be a few "Oh look, two dead franchises crossing over, how appropriate" posts no matter what.

My LCS seems to have stopped carrying pretty much all Archie stuff, unfortunately, for some reason.

Tizoc

^I'm hoping to 'hijack' the first post just to hammer in the disclaimer, even though I know that after mentioning it TWICE, some will still bring up such dumb comments. If someone does, I suggest just ignoring them.

<Also changed my avy seeing as everyone's gone green for the whole Luigi thing I assume (too bad you can't see Scourge's teeth more clearer =P)

Only other thing I wanna add is some pages/panels from the Megaman comic in hopes it'll stir more people to getting it and reading it, like this part for example-
jBgrqV2.jpg

Anyways I need to go to bed, gotta wake up for work in 6-ish hours ZoZ

qq more

Hahahaha took me a bit to get that joke (but that's because I somehow overlooked the Modes 9 and 10 speech bubble :l). That's awesome!

Sciz

Right so let's test the thread for the crossover

Hang on, I haven't posted anything yet.

There's definitely going to be a few "Oh look, two dead franchises crossing over, how appropriate" posts no matter what.

A lot of what I'm writing is aimed at neutralizing that sort of comment before it happens (though there will always be a few would-be funny men, yes). To that end, the big bright red disclaimer has to go. The last thing you want to do is establish an argumentative tone straight off the bat, because all you're really going to do is incite shitposting from the peanut gallery and set neutral people on edge. This is a fun thing. We're happy about it. That should come through in the OP, and if people really want to piss on a parade, then at that point that's their own problem.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ugh. Tired. No. I'm exhausted.

Anyway, yeah, I suspect that the thread will mirror the announcement thread for the first page or so and it'll die down. Disclaimer can be removed because by the time the comics actually come out, the people who don't give a shit won't shitpost in the thread.

It works amazingly well, actually. Most of the game has you running full-tilt anyway - your only real problem would be sleeping piranha plants and Bowser fights. Actually, on that note: never, ever play the Bowser fights on a keyboard. Twirling the arrow keys in the correct motion repeatedly and efficiently is not especially easy to do.
Interesting. Well, the Bowser fights were what I was primarily thinking of when thinking of SM64 and a keyboard. I completely understand why people genuinely disliked playing it on DS.

I think you said, Schala, that it doesn't need to be an OT, more of a discussion thread at one point @_@.

Reason I feel we it should be out earlier is to have more people be ready for it, 1 week might not be enough for some to catch up to the main series, especially the Sonic comics.
Good point (I probably did say that somewhere, but I'm too tired and stressed to remember if I did or not). So... this is going over in Gaming side, right? I don't think people will want to catch up that much, and it's not exactly crucial to understanding the whole Worlds Collide plot.

Though it's your thread and it's prerogative. It's truly up to you when you want to post it.

qq more

Should I catch up with the Sonic comics or is just reading the Mega Man comics good enough for the crossover? I'm wayyy tooo behind with the Sonic comics.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Should I catch up with the Sonic comics or is just reading the Mega Man comics good enough for the crossover? I'm wayyy tooo behind with the Sonic comics.
qq, knowing you, you should probably want to catch up with the Mega Man stuff.

Read Spiritus Ex Machina already, God!

It's a shame in the end that I just didn't feel like I had the genre experience to make a good list so I went without, good on you for following through with it though.

All i'm going to say regarding those results is that Goldeneye casts too large a shadow over Perfect Dark which is a shame as to me PD does everything much better.
Oh damn, If i'd voted I could've edged Timesplitters 2 into the top 25, this is the price I must pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom