• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
But will it play like Dark Souls!?

h5A1i9h.jpg

OMG Aero

Oh hey Sega are having a sale on their Sonic iOS games. Now I can get Sonic Dash and not feel like I'm being completely ripped off...
G9zehQA.png

wait what the fuck sega

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This is why I haven't invested in an i-Product in years. They release new shit all the time.

I am super-sad to say that when I went to EB today and saw my friends wearing the Luigi hats (no mustache because one of them has a beard+mustache, and stickers on your face ain't that awesome), I laughed.

I had to laugh.

"Whoa whoa, what's this about a new Mega Man game!? 25th Anniversary? We'll do HD Ducktales, D&D with 4-player GGPO co-op, a new Strider, and a SF4 update, but Mega Who? GTFO here, lol"
hey man

Rockman got xover. That's enough, right?

*cries in a corner*

But will it play like Dark Souls!?
Out with you.

Guess Who

Banned
Oh hey Sega are having a sale on their Sonic iOS games. Now I can get Sonic Dash and not feel like I'm being completely ripped off...
G9zehQA.png

wait what the fuck sega

Apple doesn't let you limit apps on a per-device basis, only per-device-feature basis, so eliminating devices without a front-facing camera is an easy way devs use to block older devices.

This is why I haven't invested in an i-Product in years. They release new shit all the time.

I am super-sad to say that when I went to EB today and saw my friends wearing the Luigi hats (no mustache because one of them has a beard+mustache, and stickers on your face ain't that awesome), I laughed.

I had to laugh.

You monster >:I

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What should I play first?

Asura's Wrath is apparently out of my options because Noi wants me to wait until he gets back from PAX.

I've wanted to replay MMX4 for a while now.

Hakuoki Musou is a game I should've gotten around to last month.

Neptunia, lol.

DmC... my reactions from when I finished Rising and popped DmC in right after were apparently hilarious because I sounded so disappointed. I do want to finish it off, though. I know I won't like it very much, but I do want to finish it for the sake of finishing it.

dsc00517xgkt2.jpg

And I was gonna say Asura's Wrath, because it's the only one i've played.
Well you said yourself, you want to replay X4, i'd say that settles it.
The rest you sound kind of apathetic about, except Hakuoki Musou which I assume you've yet to try, wait, did that go from a visual novel to a musou or am I thinking of something else?

Tizoc

Asura's Wrath is apparently out of my options because Noi wants me to wait until he gets back from PAX.

Neptunia, lol.

DmC... my reactions from when I finished Rising and popped DmC in right after were apparently hilarious because I sounded so disappointed. I do want to finish it off, though. I know I won't like it very much, but I do want to finish it for the sake of finishing it.

dsc00517xgkt2.jpg

Wait you wear glasses? I DEMAND YOUR AVATAR WEAR GLASSES AS WELL!

X4 is quick to beat, play that~

Man I so sang along in that Duck Tales trailer when I first watched it, it's so goooooooooood
*Goes to listen to DD Neon OST*

Gonna drop my mother at the airport and make a quick write up before going to bed. Got a day off tomorrow so I'll aim to playing Ni no Kuni and Of Orcs and Men or Saint's Row 2.

Main reason I wanna play 2 is to see if is as wacky as 3, cuz if it ain't I can beat it and then save 8-ish GB on my PS3~

The Ducktales thread might just be the happiest Capcom thread I've seen in my time on this site.

Neptunia, lol.

dsc00517xgkt2.jpg

X4's pretty short. I'd say go with that.

Kokonoe

Banned
Because I actually play most RPGs? I play a lot of schlock and dumbshit stuff. Just because I want to increase my repertoire.

Plus mk2 was actually decent despite the dumb shit it has.

When I asked a few people about the Neptunia series before, everyone always tells me the games are bad but they play it for other "reasons".

Although I was curious to see if they have any decent gameplay, I would never play one to begin with so I'm not overly curious.

Tizoc

Hmm should I replace instances of I with we?

heroescolisionmuxft.jpg

Presented by Sciz, Tizoc, Dark Schala & Bean

Introduction:

“Worlds Collide” is a 12-part comic book crossover event between Archie’s Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man comic series.

Okay, for those of you still with us, this is really exciting, and I say that without a trace of sarcasm. Fans have drawn parallels between the two series for years:
  • Both feature evil roboticists trying to take over the world
  • Both have similarly clichéd supporting casts (the loyal canine companion, the dark double, the sometimes friendly rival, the requisite supportive girl)
  • Both have a legacy of great music and wildly variable quality
  • The heroes both share some color of the spectrum or something
  • In recent years, they also both have series coming out of Archie Comics, the independent publisher that just won't die.

But that'd all be so much cruft if the comics were rubbish. No, what makes this exciting is that it represents a crossover between not just the two franchises, but between three of the best comic books running today (Sonic has two). They're nonstop character-driven fun, full of color and lighthearted comedy even as they weave in action and drama. And like all great kid-friendly media, they're littered with gags for the older fans while never talking down to the actual target audience. Being sourced from beloved video game franchises just makes them that much better.

Here's the rundown on what you're getting into:​

The Blue Blur

- Grab representative panels from several issues, StH logo top-center, SU logo bottom-center

Nope. I distinctly remember the Sonic comic being terrible

And there was a time when you were right, when the series' standards let plots through like "Sonic goes to high school, no really", "Knuckles' extended family goes through vaguely sociopolitical relationship drama", and "let's spend a year showing off the future where everyone has kids and nothing of interest happens because the writer forgot that plots require conflict". Then that writer got canned, ironically right around the time Sega was busy releasing Sonic '06; and Our Lord and Savior Ian Flynn was brought in and promptly spent the next two years cleaning up the last guy's mess. Ian's an ascended fan (as is most of the art staff these days), and while he's not without his own foibles, he understands what makes the series tick and what makes for good storytelling in general. It also helps that he revels in dredging up stuff like the Battle Bird Armada and the scrapped band from Sonic 1's sound test as opposed to inventing loads of new faces.

These days the comic is the fun and engaging series described earlier, where the setting occasionally hits up places from the games and even Shadow and Silver are genuinely good characters. No, seriously. That's why the Sonic Universe spinoff book even exists. All the other characters that everyone hate in the games got their own book where Sonic barely even shows up because they're written well enough to carry it on their own.

But isn't it still based on the old cartoon with Freedom Fighters and stuff?

Sort of. At this point it's an amalgam of characters, ideas, and locations from the cartoon, the stuff worth salvaging from prior years of the comic, and just about anyone and anything you can think of from the games. It's weird, but it works.

For the purpose of Worlds Collide, it doesn't matter, because the crossover features game characters only. You don't have to care what a “Mobotropolis” is or why the creepy chimera wizard-king is evil (It makes sense in context).​

The Blue Bomber

- Similar to the Sonic banner; Wily in his bathrobe and Flash Man wanting hair are musts

There's a Mega Man comic?

There is! It's only got two years behind it compared to Sonic's twenty, but it's the only place where the franchise is still alive with its dignity intact. Ian Flynn pulls writing duties here as well, and consequently the series has a lot in common with his work on Sonic with respect to tone and humor. Unlike Sonic, though, Mega Man is religiously devoted to the games as source material. That isn't to say that it's a slave to the numbered titles; Ian happily pulls in characters from Battle & Chase and Rockman Gold Empire while adapting elements of Super Adventure Rockman in the background. But the original characters and concepts introduced thus far supplement the games rather than supplanting them.

After a breakneck first year that tore through Mega Man 1, Powered Up, and Mega Man 2 in succession, the series has since slowed down and started really digging into the characters and narrative that begin to crop up around Mega Man 3. It's spent the second year casually juggling heartrending tales (Proto Man's tragic origins) with goofy side stories (the budding rivalry between Guts Man and Concrete Man) and high action (a terrorist attack at a robotics convention); all while slowly building a serious conversation about the role of advanced robotics and artificial intelligence in society. It’s really truly excellent stuff.

It's strictly a Classic series affair so far, but the creative staff have repeatedly said they'd love to take on some of the other subseries if there's enough fan support.​

...and just to give a taste of what the comic features
It has...

Nods to the fanbase said:

Bros said:

Woodman being a boss said:

Headshots said:

Hayadain said:

Scientific mysteries said:

Video previews of each issue of Megaman released thus far courtesy of Bean:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL39C4F01584275D3D

And so we return to the main event: a four-month crossover extravaganza from April to August that spans across Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe, and Mega Man. Sonic's about to meet a whole bunch of robots he can't just bop, Drs. Wily and Eggman are about to discover the joy of having B.F.F., and somehow our azure heroes are going to have to get along long enough to deal with the machinations of the newly-minted Evil Friends Forever before both worlds fall to their robot army.

SonicGAF's been looking forward to it for months, as has MegaGAF (disclaimer: MegaGAF is mostly comprised of SonicGAF), and we hope you'll be along for the ride.

The schedule is as follows (all dates represent comic shop availability):​

Prologue:

Part 0 - Sonic/Mega Man Free Comic Book Day 2013 (May 4th; contains pages from Sonic #247 & Mega Man #23, though neither issue has much to do with the crossover.)​

Act One: Kindred Spirits:

Part 1 - Mega Man #24 - April 10th
Part 2 - Sonic Universe #51 - April 17th
Part 3 - Sonic the Hedgehog #248 - May 1st
Part 4 - Mega Man #25 - May 8th​

Arc Two: Into the Warzone

Part 5 - Sonic Universe #52 - May 15th
Part 6 - Sonic the Hedgehog #249 - May 29th
Part 7 - Mega Man #26 - June 12th
Part 8 - Sonic Universe #53 - June 19th​

Arc Three: Chaos Clash

Part 9 - Sonic the Hedgehog #250 - July 3rd
Part 10 - Mega Man #27 - July 10th
Part 11 - Sonic Universe #54 - July XXth
Part 12 - Sonic the Hedgehog #251 - August XXth​

The crossover arc issues can be purchased digitally from websites such as Comixology, or if you prefer mobile, Archie's own iOS/Android comics app. If you're old enough to remember what print is, hit up your local comic shop or check out any surviving newsstands and major bookstores. If you're after variant covers, comic shops are the way to go.

If you want to catch up on the series in general (ie: not as part of this comic crossover) and be up to date with it, you've also got options:
  • Sonic the Hedgehog: Back issue availability is a bit scattershot, to say the least. Ian's run begins with #160, but the trade paperback reprints are only up to #82. A more recent reprint line, "Sonic Saga", picks up at #162, but the two available volumes only run through #172. Most everything from #211 on is available digitally, however.
  • Sonic Universe: TPB volumes only cover up to #16 at the moment, but the whole series is available digitally.
  • Mega Man: Issue #1-16 are available across four TPB volumes, with volume 5 due out in May. Again, the whole series is available digitally.

Covers and Variants

Up to you guys to decide what images to include, feel free to fix stuff Schala~

G'nite gang.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'll edit that later and stick the covers in; just a little busy atm. I'm sure someone's working on the banners and quotes!

When I asked a few people about the Neptunia series before, everyone always tells me the games are bad but they play it for other "reasons".

Although I was curious to see if they have any decent gameplay, I would never play one to begin with so I'm not overly curious.
I'll respond to this a little later as well. The gameplay part of it is fine.

Everything else is nonsense.

I spent most of a day editing all the proper articles into a group essay the other day, so I'm kinda picky about that sort of thing lately. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom