• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also hahaha this image:
The-Phantom-Painday1_zps0985f80f.jpg

MOOOOONNNNN

It took me a few seconds to finally notice the moon in the corner. It was quite unsettling.

Kokonoe

Banned
I will pick out some moe/anime avatar I dislike for a week if that's CG. There is no way it is, though.

I didn't know this Joakim thing was such a big deal.

After each My Little Pony thread reaching 30+ pages with consistent running around in circles of the same things being repeated as to why someone might like the show and not have personality disorders, and Hideki Kamiya's comment on Playstations All-Stars being a rip off reaching over 50 pages, I am not surprised in the least here.

People love to repeat themselves.

qq more

I will pick out some moe/anime avatar I dislike for a week if that's CG. There is no way it is, though.

If you want, I can make a horrible amazing avatar like you did for my swearing challenge.

Then again, I think it's far too likely #TeamReal is right because I don't think movies has even reached something that realistic yet.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What the fuck at SE's investor relations slides showing metacritic scores. I didn't know whether to laugh or to be disappointed. So they had huge sales expectations for games, the retailers decided to cut the prices, and then SE had to pay back the retailers because they had to sell the games at < MSRP. Because those are shipped not sold figures. So I wonder how much those sold.

Makes sense. They were boneheaded with their previous sales forecasts in the first place.

Hubris.

And I feel immense schadenfreude right now.

It's funny how Sonic Unleashed Towns and NPC's are superior to most of the stuff that Square has brought out in that regard...

HD Towns are expensive
Jokes aside, I'm incredibly inclined to agree. For stuff like The Last Remnant or some of the other HD games they've released with towns (let's extend our definition to the setpieces they used as towns (Palumpolum, Nautilus, Eden), I'm more appreciative of the towns in Unleashed and of the NPCs and sidequest in Unleashed more than any of SE's HD games. I felt like each NPC had a purpose and a personality--contrasting heavily with FFXIII-2's excuse for sidequests. 13-2's sidequests were essentially quests for the sake of quests (and I can't stand that sort of thing; same goes for some of the stuff in Tales of Xillia as well), while I felt that Unleashed's quests at least let the player learn more about the world around them and the relationships between the NPCs.

For example, something I wrote in FFXIII's OT2 a long time ago:

Definitely agree with that. Postgame needed a bit of variety here and there.

I'd like better tension-building and release. The "no-towns" thing didn't feel like a huge issue in both my Japanese and English playthroughs, though I did want to speak to a few NPCs to get a gist of what it was like in town, or what their impressions of the fal'Cie and life on Cocoon were.

For example, Nautilus was a wonderful place with nice designs and a fantastic BGM, but I felt a little disconnected from it. Same issue with Palomporum. The towns were gorgeous setpieces, but they felt a little hollow. Eden's NPCs were pretty good at communicating how tense they felt with the situation, and how much they relied on the fal'Cie Eden to give them protection
(ie: "Why are you letting this happen, Eden?" or "The fal'Cie will protect us!")
. Eden felt more "alive" than Nautilus to me.

With that said, I am cautiously optimistic for FFXIII-2. I hope it explains more of the mythology--it's very intriguing.

..."cautiously optimistic about FFXIII-2"...

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

And:

Also correct. FFXIII's town setpieces were begging for more life and a better connection to the player. Running around and listening to some random NPCs say "I want a Carbuncle plushie!" or something to that effect isn't all I want in a game's world-building and tension-building, release and relaxation. The way the towns were organized and the game was set up, you couldn't do much in the towns in the first place, but it would have been nice to (Chapter 12 spoilers)
go back to them after Chapter 12 to see how the assault on Eden affected the other towns. Were the other fal'Cie as zealous as Barthandelus and Orphan, for example? Would the party have to defeat them as well? Were there l'Cie sympathizers? Stuff like that would have made the world-building and player connections to the world a lot better, despite being at the end of the game, imo.

The Cie'th Stones were in the forms they were in for a reason, but it would have been interesting to (endgame/postgame spoilers)
find some sort of civilization struggling to survive against the powerful monsters on Pulse, even if Titan would deem it evolutionarily unnecessary
. Those archaeopoli I read about in Famitsu sounded so interesting, but there was just nothing to do in those places because they were just minor stops in a path from A to B with fights in between. I did not like receiving missions from only Cie'th Stones because they felt like nameless faces who I took jobs from. Why couldn't they complete their mission? Who were the Undying and what was their purpose? I don't want to hear it from a Datalog, I want to hear it from the Undying themselves.

Final Fantasy XIII has a grand, beautiful world that just begs to be explored by the player. The stuff I read in the Datalog about each place was pretty interesting. If only I could have explored what was said in the Datalog as well as going through the main plot. It's unfortunate that the interesting stuff (to me, at least) was relegated to the Datalog.

And they still continued to do this shit in FF13-2. It's like they forgot how to design a damn game! They designed their towns, but they forgot to adequately use them. They didn't necessarily feel alive (Academia and Eden may be exceptions, but I have my own issues with Academia), and they were merely there to exist as battle backgrounds.

This contrasts heavily with Sonic Unleashed's hub towns which actually felt more alive than a gosh darn RPG town. It's absolutely amazing and kind of mindblowing to me. Towns are supposed to act as tension relievers; they are not superficial by any means. That's why I liked Unleashed's towns a lot. I like the character design, I like the quest design, and I felt like they did a decent job at relieving tension whenever required. Also helps that they looked pretty and had good lighting, but I felt that they were utilized much better in a darn adventure/platforming game than an RPG. It boggles my mind, really.

The stealth I didn't mind so much but lets face it, the implementation isn't exactly stellar, getting sort of chewed out for being spotted seems kind of funny considering the actual genre of the game.

Now I want to say that i'm all for this soundtrack, I do really like how it implements the lyrics in boss battle themes during the moments that you start bringing it, the themes are also suitably pumping up and another example of the good kind of cheese. Yet as of right now I really can't recall any of the music off the top of my head so I need to give the soundtrack a proper listen.
Though I can't imagine holding it as high as most here do just because the style in itself is one which I simply like but don't love. It's good though that's for sure.
Absolutely. They tell you it's better to stealth when scoring-wise, it's much better to go in for the kill.

As for the soundtrack... oh... oh Nocturnowl, you're breaking my heart over here.

I didn't know this Joakim thing was such a big deal.
Neither did I.

Having only peeked in that thread a few times, I thought everyone in the thread was just being tongue in cheek about the whole thing.

Then the #TeamCG/Real avatars started popping up...

OMG Aero

I think Joakim is a literal alien and Phantom Pain is alien brainwashing technology disguised as a video game.
Is there a team for that?

Tizoc

Anything is better than Sonic 1 GBA

/shudder

Heh anyone remember the fanmade 'fix' where you could also play as Knuckles and Tails? The person who did it, made it like a demo and it only had Green Hill, but he did really well it makes me wonder what drunk monkeys SEGA hired at the time to get this released lol.

EDIT: Sonic RACING transformed for Vita is $20, GO GET IT! Also P4G is still $30 on US PSN for this week~

Hope you guys like more Sonic CD-style remakes: http://www.sonicstadium.org/2013/03...nic-1-coming-to-android-sonic-2-also-planned/

Note that only an Android-specific site reported on it so far. It wouldn't doubt that it's coming to other platforms as well. I wouldn't doubt that this is Taxman's work either, as he said that he'd bring a build of something to GDC: https://twitter.com/CFWhitehead/status/315532267302830080
Awesome. Hope it includes additional bonus characters like CD did as well.

Tizoc

Hope you guys like more Sonic CD-style remakes: http://www.sonicstadium.org/2013/03...nic-1-coming-to-android-sonic-2-also-planned/

Note that only an Android-specific site reported on it so far. It wouldn't doubt that it's coming to other platforms as well. I wouldn't doubt that this is Taxman's work either, as he said that he'd bring a build of something to GDC: https://twitter.com/CFWhitehead/status/315532267302830080

I want Taxman to do the Sonic CD treatment to SOnic 3 and knuckles for PS3 =/

Help me out here, gang, I need to spend $30 to avail for a $10 in April, here are the titles that interest me atm:

War of the Monsters @ 9.99
Future Cop LAPD @ 5.99
Vanguard Bandits @ 5.99
Cyberbots @ 5.99 (I am aware of how badly CPS2 games run on the PSX, but I want some Jin Saotome & co. fix @3@)
Legend of Mana @ 5.99
Um Jammer Lammy @ 5.99
Pid @ 9.99
Lunar SS @ 14.99
Justice League PSP @ 9.99
Dino Crisis 1 @ 5.99
Dino Crisis 2 @ 5.99
Arc the Lad 1~3 @ 5.99 each
Parasite Eve 1 @ 5.99
Parasite Eve 2 @ 5.99
Wild Arms 2 @ 5.99
Threads of Fate @ 5.99

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I should be asleep. :lol

Vanguard Bandits @ 5.99
Dino Crisis 1 @ 5.99
Legend of Mana @ 5.99
Arc the Lad 1 & 2 @ 5.99 each
Parasite Eve 1 @ 5.99
Wild Arms 2 @ 5.99
Threads of Fate @ 5.99
I gave you advice last time in your thread, remember? :V

Regardless, those are the ones you should go for, I think. Lunar SS, to me, wasn't like the originals, so I didn't enjoy it as much but it's still an alright game. You could still go for it if you need a quick $15 to make up your $50. You could also theoretically go for Dino Crisis 1. Vanguard Bandits is a relatively decent TRPG (honestly, I haven't played it in years), but I don't find myself remembering a lot about it as I felt it was relatively shallow. The western version had troop support added, so helped alleviate the shallow feeling, but I wouldn't put among my favourite tactical RPGs despite it being alright.

-------------

Now I have a question for you guys.

My bro and I are supposed to hang out this weekend, so I want to entertain him with a lot of games. For reasons I won't get into, my brother really seems to enjoy the more colourful ones (he tends to pay more attention). Tons and tons of colour, so anything like Mario or Sonic Unleashed is certainly an option. Truly, he's a bigger Mario fan than I am, it seems.

However, I'd very much like to stick with the DS, Wii and PSP. I know the Wii has a ton of colourful stuff. I've had a lot of experience with DS and PSP games, so I have a few in mind for those... I'll more than likely have some of them put away somewhere. Oh, and he likes watching me play through platformers or puzzlers more than RPGs. Though he loved P3P and Persona 4 when I played through it while he watched. Edit: something like Ace Attorney with a lot of sprite / facial animations would be perfect if you go down that route.

But if anyone has some suggestions for the Wii, shoot me a list either here or via PM. Thanks, I appreciate it a lot.

Tizoc

Course I do, hence why I didn't list some of those games ;3

Regardless, those are the ones you should go for, I think. Lunar SS, to me, wasn't like the originals, so I didn't enjoy it as much but it's still an alright game. You could still go for it if you need a quick $15 to make up your $50. You could also theoretically go for Dino Crisis 1. Vanguard Bandits is a relatively decent TRPG (honestly, I haven't played it in years), but I don't find myself remembering a lot about it as I felt it was relatively shallow. The western version had troop support added, so helped alleviate the shallow feeling, but I wouldn't put among my favourite tactical RPGs despite it being alright.
Gracias for the recommendations tho, I wanna get DC2 as well mainly because I hear it is a precursor to RE4.

-------------

Now I have a question for you guys.

My bro and I are supposed to hang out this weekend, so I want to entertain him with a lot of games. For reasons I won't get into, my brother really seems to enjoy the more colourful ones (he tends to pay more attention). Tons and tons of colour, so anything like Mario or Sonic Unleashed is certainly an option. Truly, he's a bigger Mario fan than I am, it seems.

However, I'd very much like to stick with the DS, Wii and PSP. I know the Wii has a ton of colourful stuff. I've had a lot of experience with DS and PSP games, so I have a few in mind for those... I'll more than likely have some of them put away somewhere. Oh, and he likes watching me play through platformers or puzzlers more than RPGs. Though he loved P3P and Persona 4 when I played through it while he watched.

But if anyone has some suggestions for the Wii, shoot me a list either here or via PM. Thanks, I appreciate it a lot.

Hmm I can help with consoles but this is gonna be difficult...for Wii I'd recommend Sonic and SEGA Racing. Last Blade 1 at least is availble on Wii, dunno about 2.
AoF3 and KoF 98 was rated for Wii as well on ESRB, but I don't think it is available atm

PSP...I recommend the FF games, Maverick Hunter X is available on PSN for PSP.

NDS: Starfy and Kirby games, Mario and Luigi 3, maybe Phoenix Wright series?

EDIT: PLAY KLONOA FOR THE WII!
Punch Out! is also fun and colorful, I'd recommend TvC if he doesn't mind playing fighting games.
Metal Slug Anthology is on Wii too.

Ferr986

Taxman confirmed that Sonic 1 is his work, done with the Retro Engine, and he worked with Stealth on this one (another awesome Sonic scene programmer).

Wonder if this deserve its own thread. Everyone played Sonic 1 but dat Retro Engine...

Also:

TimmiT said:
Greg the Cat said:
Yuji Naka said:
Takashi Iizuka said:
Aaron Webber said:
Naoto Ohshima said:
Ken Balough said:
Cinossu said:
Skyler said:
Guess Who said:
Scarred Sun said:
GeneHF said:
I posted this on Stadium, I'll post it here.

Even though this is Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 all over again, I strongly urge everyone to support this release.

Just trust me on this one.
And on a note less likely to get me angry looks from NeoGAF management, Bioshock Infinite news:

Falk said:
893582_870350943073_1237287325_o.jpg

sup wit it

Guess Who said:
Shadow Hog said:
Beat the game already?
Hint:
Au Yeong is falk

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Someone went a little multiquote crazy. D:

Gracias for the recommendations tho, I wanna get DC2 as well mainly because I hear it is a precursor to RE4.
I found it to be inferior to the first, really; but if you want to get it, it's your call.

Hmm I can help with consoles but this is gonna be difficult...for Wii I'd recommend Sonic and SEGA Racing. Last Blade 1 at least is availble on Wii, dunno about 2.
AoF3 and KoF 98 was rated for Wii as well on ESRB, but I don't think it is available atm

PSP...I recommend the FF games, Maverick Hunter X is available on PSN for PSP.

NDS: Starfy and Kirby games, Mario and Luigi 3, maybe Phoenix Wright series?

EDIT: PLAY KLONOA FOR THE WII!
Punch Out! is also fun and colorful, I'd recommend TvC if he doesn't mind playing fighting games.
Metal Slug Anthology is on Wii too.
Aha, I have Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing for PS3 already. I do have Last Blade on me (I have a lot of Neo Geo stuff on Wii already, tbh). Honestly, I haven't experimented with SNK stuff with him before. I wonder if he'd like it. I have a copy of Klonoa Wii kicking around here somewhere.

Thing is my brother can't play games, so I generally play it while he watches. If he were to play Punch-Out!! or Wii Sports with me, I'd have to help him out with the controls and stand behind him and complete the objectives with hand-over-hand movements. Plus he can't stand for very long either.

My brother really really really doesn't like watching me play FF. The only ones he liked watching me play were FFVIII and FFX. He found FF13 and FF13-2 super-boring. Funny story: he stepped on my PS2 phat, scratching my FFX-2 disc so I had to get a new one; and when we were much younger, he unplugged my PS1 while I was saving in FF9. He looks super-bored whenever I play a SFC/SNES FF too. My feeling is that FF is a no-go. :lol

DS stuff sounds pretty good. MHX might be okay, but I've noticed that he likes the NES/SNES MM games way more.

But thanks a lot for the suggestions.

Also, PS3 isn't an option because I'm keeping it upstairs to play Asura's Wrath this weekend.

If anyone else has suggestions, please feel free to list them. Especially for Wii.

If the PS3 was an option, I would suggest Ratchet and Clank. Well I'll still suggest Ratchet and Clank! I didn't play those other 3 systems near enough to know jack.

Play Kirby Collection, nothing beats those games in sure colorful explosion of colors, sounds, colors, brightish colors, music and of course COLOR!

The one that really makes it hit home is the "his eyes are too white" one.

I distinctly recall HUELEN trying to make a point with a graphic editor's eyedropper tool on a two-pixel-wide eye from a blurry JPG screenshot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom