• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Village

Out of curiosity, is one of them Earthbound?

While my aunt was a horrible human being she owned a lot of old video games, so yes I "own" earthbound. If by own you mean got it borrowed it from her along with megaman X when I was 9 and forget to give them back.

Actually I need to find that game.. that and megaman X.

Village

I guess you can consider you own it now. Earthbound is a fantastic game, I should replay it someday.

I want to play mother one, since I have played mother 3 using... means.

I suppose, I got a buttload of games when she died because there was no one to give them too. She had a great taste games, she was a horrible human being. ( You cant even fathom how much I mean that sentament, you cant even fathom)

That's good. The copy I last picked up had a working save at first, but crapped out on me halfway through the game. I ended up having to replace the battery (and in the process, learning a thing or two about soldering).

qq more

Admit it, you do these bets for the attention

no i'm just crazy (plus I'm sort of afraid of posting outside of this thread thanks to this avatar haha)

And the serious bet about my game is really an attempt to push me to work on it... and it's working! You won't believe how badly I needed a boost in motivation.

I'll shut up about the bet if it's actually bothering you guys, so I apologize if that's the case.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I understand , the new shadow guy while talented is just I dunno.. Don patch. That is all I hear, its the same issue when I hear steve blum do a voice all I hear is Wolverine.
I have the same issue with voice actors I hear all the time (both English and Japanese). Though for some reason, I cannot get tired of Crispin Freeman's or Takahiro Sakurai's voices. >.>

This topic makes me sad.

But this makes me happy:
The thread is disappointing, and essentially would boil down to a "stop liking what I like" conversation repeatedly. Who cares if someone likes something that you don't? Sure, I give 'em a little ribbing for it, but I don't take it seriously.

And awesome pickup! I do think you paid a little too much for EB, but I don't think it can be helped, can it? I have Adventure Time in my backlog as well. I bought the CE, even. Haha. :x

Speaking of games to order, I ordered a crapload of Tales games just now. I'd been meaning to for a while so it fits into my budget, though I should have perhaps used the money for other things. Oh well. They weren't much, either. Just 1000 yen each, brand new (Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2, Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3, Tales of the World: Summoner's Lineage, Rockman EXE 4.5, Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon, etc). I really do appreciate the Japanese GBA boxes, though. They look so cute:

l04i8a2u9t.jpg

Anyway, I was supposed to be studying (I am, I am), but I was looking through a few of my games and, well, there are times when I own multiple versions of the same thing. I own two versions of Tales of the Abyss (and the scenario and illustration books even though I can't stand the stupid game and its story), two versions of Tales of Vesperia (one 360 and one PS3), two versions of Tales of Innocence (Vita and DS), two versions of Xenoblade (PAL and US), two versions of Suikoden II (the PSP and PS1 ones), three versions of Suikoden I (Saturn, PSP, PS1), etc.

Like. I own three versions of Tales of Graces and I'm thinking of spending the 1200 yen to buy the Wii version to see how it controls.

dsc00544flzz6.jpg

I'm not even a huge Tales fan so I dunno what I'm doing with this stuff, but I guess I love Tales of Graces. >.>

I dread to see how many versions of Sonic 1, SMB, Final Fantasy, and Final Fantasy IV I own. Oh man...

Sheesh, how many versions of Sonic 1 does SonicGAF have? There's the Genesis version, VC version, iOS version, GBA version, PSN/XBLA version, Mega Collection+ version, Sonic Classic Collection version, Sonic Jam, Sega Smash Pack version, Sonic Mega Collection, Sega Genesis Collection, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection... I'm totally missing a lot, here.

I used to collect multiple copies of games...I would like to get back into that as I don't own more than one copy of every game. At one time I did own every possible version of Donkey Kong Country 2 including the Gameboy game but now it's down to the SNES one...alas.

EDIT: Ahhh Tales of Graces. Bought a PS3 copy and never opened it and sold it off. Maybe I'll try it out one day.

Sheesh, how many versions of Sonic 1 does SonicGAF have? There's the Genesis version, VC version, iOS version, GBA version, PSN/XBLA version, Mega Collection+ version, Sonic Classic Collection version, Sonic Jam, Sega Smash Pack version, Sonic Mega Collection, Sega Genesis Collection, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection... I'm totally missing a lot, here.

Off the top of my head, I know I've had:

- Original Genesis release
- The Genesis Re-Release with the "Sega Classics" branding
- The compilation release w/ Sonic 2 & Mean Bean Machine
- Mega Drive JP version (I like the boxart >.>)
- Sonic Jam
- Sega Smash Pack
- I had a cellphone from '04 or '05 with Sonic 1 on it
- Have an old iPod Nano with a Sonic 1 port on it, too
- Mega Collection
- Mega Collection+
- Genesis Collection (Both PSP and PS2)
- Ultimate Genesis Collection
- Virtual Console
- Classic Collection
- Generations

I feel a little silly now that I realize I've probably bought this game more than any other one I can think of. (Even FFIV!) And I'll probably get the Taxman port on Android, too. >_>

Not a huge Tales fan but you just ordered a crapload of Tales titles? multiple copies of Tales games? and a book for Abyss that might try to properly explain the fonic hymning planet storming fonon sephiroth jargon? you can't fool us so easy!

I remember playing Sonic 1 on my brothers old mobile phone back in the day when tiny colour screens were like a big deal, Sonic 1, played with a tiny phone keypad, on a tiny screen, oh it was awful.

I'm a tad ashamed to say I have nearly every release of ToTA. Only one I don't have is the PAL release for 3DS.

I think OutRun is the only other game besides Sonic 1 and FFIV that I have more that 3-4 copies of. Can't get enough of that game.

I think OutRun is the only other game besides Sonic 1 and FFIV that I have more that 3-4 copies of. Can't get enough of that game.

I didn't get OutRun XBLA when I could

:(

(I own four different versions of RE4 - GC, PS2, Wii, and 360. Admittedly, there's some big difference between those games, but I wouldn't even think about buying it a second time, let alone four times, if it wasn't so gooooooood)

BlackJace

I own multiple copies of SA1/SA2 and Blue Dragon.

I hated 3-disc games on the 360, one disc gets scratched and you're quite screwed.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Three versions of Tales of Graces f:
  • PAL Day One Edition which I'd wanted for the extra stuff in it since I genuinely like the game and I was disappointed that the US version was not going to have an LE. This was also a gift, so I didn't buy it on my own; the person knew I really loved this game.
  • one's the US version that took out my favourite duplication glitch from the Japanese PS3 version and I'm annoyed by that.
  • one's the Japanese version that made me like RPGs again after a reprieve of them; it also has the item duplication glitch that I'm very fond of.
The Wii version is apparently considerably easier than the PS3 counterpart (2-3 bosses in the Wii version are made stronger in the PS3 version, which is better), and it also has an EXP glitch with one of the boss enemies of the game which allows you to farm XP quickly and painlessly (because of the easy way to cheese that boss within a few seconds). That particular enemy does not give EXP in the PS3 version and thus people have to farm EXP in the game's EX dungeon instead.

As for the three versions of Suikoden I:
  • Saturn version has a new and better OP than the PS1 version, worse load times, some colour and effect changes, Marco's coin game is changed dramatically, the dice game is different, you play Blackjack instead of a matching card game, there is an arena added to this version and you are not able to heal between arena battles, there is a minor story change where two characters are kidnapped and you have to save them from pirates srsly, some rune cosmetic changes, etc.
  • PS1 version is the vanilla version
  • PSP version has diagonal movement, a better-organized menu, the Saturn OP, it is now in widescreen format.

Off the top of my head, I know I've had:

- Original Genesis release
- The Genesis Re-Release with the "Sega Classics" branding
- The compilation release w/ Sonic 2 & Mean Bean Machine
- Mega Drive JP version (I like the boxart >.>)
- Sonic Jam
- Sega Smash Pack
- I had a cellphone from '04 or '05 with Sonic 1 on it
- Have an old iPod Nano with a Sonic 1 port on it, too
- Mega Collection
- Mega Collection+
- Genesis Collection (Both PSP and PS2)
- Ultimate Genesis Collection
- Virtual Console
- Classic Collection
- Generations

I feel a little silly now that I realize I've probably bought this game more than any other one I can think of. (Even FFIV!) And I'll probably get the Taxman port on Android, too. >_>
Oh lawd. I don't think I own that many versions of Sonic 1, and I completely forgot about the one in Generations.

I... I think you win. :O

Not a huge Tales fan but you just ordered a crapload of Tales titles? multiple copies of Tales games? and a book for Abyss that might try to properly explain the fonic hymning planet storming fonon sephiroth jargon? you can't fool us so easy!
I'm actually not, which makes it hilarious! I just like playing the games for the battle system and the ability growth systems, but I'm not super-fond of everything else. The Narikiri Dungeon games sport a job system, and the Summoner's Lineage game is an SRPG. I do think it's going to be strange to go back to the GBA version of Narikiri Dungeon, though, since NDX on PSP completely spoiled me.

Yeah, I have the stupid Abyss books. Lemme find the pic. Here:

bSHXL.jpg

I don't have any of the Tales of Fandom stuff, and I don't really own a lot of the manga from the series, though. I do own the Phantasia anime, though.

As much as I joke i'd love to have the illustration books for Symphonia, Vesperia and even Abyss so I could draw moustaches and frowny eyebrows on Ion, the little git.

The only Tales thing I have that isn't a game is Vesperia: First Strike. Those art books look nice, though.

And looking through my stuff, I do have too many versions of OutRun: The Master System version, the Genesis Version, the Game Gear version, the Saturn port (which I only just recently got), I can't find it at the moment, but I know I have the Suzuki Gameworks version somewhere around here, the versions on Shenmue II, Outrun 2, the Japanese version of Outrun 2 and OutRun 2006 on PS2, Xbox and PSP. (And that's not counting the spinoff stuff like OutRunners.)

Kind of excessive, but totally worth it. Best Sega series.

Symphonia has aged more than i'd like to admit, the game was actually quite pivotal in getting me to play more of the genre and it made for a surprisingly fun yet flawed co-op game that devoured many hours back in the day so I remember it fondly.
Me and my old Tales buddy tried to relight the Symphonia fire at some point last year but it just wasn't the same.
It's still good enough to play through but even from the more limited amount of Tales games i've played I can say that the sequels have bettered it in plenty of departments, but hey Symphonia still has the best music.

You know it could be a pretty good candidate for a remake one day that brings the battle system up to modern standards.

Quackula

I have like 5 copies of Super Mario Bros. (SMB, SMB/Duck Hunt, SMB/Duck Hunt/World Class Track Meet, SMAS, SMAS+SMW), but I don't think I have anything else that I've gone that crazy with.

I've got both the Ps2 and Xbox ports of Silent Hill 2 I guess, but I'm probably gonna get rid of the Ps2 one.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The only Tales thing I have that isn't a game is Vesperia: First Strike. Those art books look nice, though.

And looking through my stuff, I do have too many versions of OutRun: The Master System version, the Genesis Version, the Game Gear version, the Saturn port (which I only just recently got), I can't find it at the moment, but I know I have the Suzuki Gameworks version somewhere around here, the versions on Shenmue II, Outrun 2, the Japanese version of Outrun 2 and OutRun 2006 on PS2, Xbox and PSP. (And that's not counting the spinoff stuff like OutRunners.)

Kind of excessive, but totally worth it. Best Sega series.
I'm kinda glad I'm not the only one here who owns multiple versions of stuff. Dang, that's a lot of Outrun!

I've been meaning to order Vesperia: First Strike for a while now. Actually, I do have the Abyss anime and a few of the manga volumes for that. I have some of the Tales Magazine issues because of preorder bonuses, some soundtracks, some of the small petite figures. Like, I've been meaning to get the Tales of Symphonia OVA because Ufotable did the animation for it and they made some story changes here and there, but they haven't put it out on blu-ray yet. I really do flippin' want this, though, because of the Ufotable animation stuff in there.

Is Tales of Symphonia any good?
I do think it's pretty good. The narrative is Final Fantasy X-lite, and I'm not too fond of the battle system now because everything has surpassed it ever since then, but I think it's a relatively decent starter Tales game (though Vesperia might hold that crown now). If you do need to get into a Tales game, I'd recommend Vesperia over it instead.

I mean, you can go for it if you want, but my heart's gonna tell you to go with (and these have enemy spoilers despite being in Japanese, so just watch a few seconds and then close):
-Tales of Rebirth
-Tales of Graces
-Tales of Destiny R
-Tales of Vesperia
-Narikiri Dungeon X

Kokonoe

Banned
I was enjoying Tales of Vesperia until my power went out and lost my progress, then I stopped playing for 2 weeks, came back to it then was confused and never played it again.

I no longer have the save file period now since that was on my old Xbox 360.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was enjoying Tales of Vesperia until my power went out and lost my progress, then I stopped playing for 2 weeks, came back to it then was confused and never played it again.

I no longer have the save file period now since that was on my old Xbox 360.
Booo, that sucks. I'm sorry you couldn't finish it because it's relatively decent (honestly, I've only played it once and thus I'm not always very well-versed in it outside of some battle mechanics and the plot). :/

That happened to me with FF8, actually. Fought Ultima Weapon, didn't save (before the battle), lost power, didn't want to play it again... came back later and had no idea what I was doing. Hate when that happens.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Isn't Vesperia only for the 360?
360 version released in PAL, NA, and JP.
PS3 version released in JP. It has a budget version now.

Still glad I jumped on the Black Label version when I did, even if I paid lots of money for it. Worth it.

I jumped on the 360 version of ToV when it was $20, even if I don't have the system to play it on. >.>

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Could always try Xillia when it's out in August. It's decent enough, but not without its flaws and game design problems.

I'm going to get the US version, I think, but I don't think I'm going to play it alongside everyone else like I did with Graces (could always skip the cutscenes and speedrun it, though, I guess; the game's not long on a speedrun+GradeShopRun). I'm not fond of the idea of running through Xillia's terrain and fields yet again, and I need to finish off Xillia 2 in the process which is going to make going back to Xillia extra-hard.

'Sides. Xillia 2 has kitties and the preorder bonus wasn't half bad. Sheesh, going back and reading that old post and realizing how optimistic I was about the game makes me laugh now because I dropped it. At least the Screenshot Option is there when you need it.

But Xillia 2 has the debt repayment system, and the stupid fools keep calling me for their damn money even when I paid the minimum payment for the chapter. It's needless padding for the sake of padding and I hate that garbage. No respect for the player's time!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Xillia 2 NA release: 2015

:(
That's the thing, eh? They announce multiple Tales games per year so sometimes it's hard to catch up.

If I could take a screenshot of Nova bugging me and calling me to pay her money every time I'm above the minimum payment threshold (even if I've paid the money back to her!) at the moment, I would. It's literally one of the reasons why I dropped the game outside of the endless recycling, SP gain, and some other reasons. I'm not in a huge hurry to platinum Xillia 2 even though I kind of want to do it? But every single time I look at that darn trophy list, I just shake my head and say to myself, "Schala, you did the same stuff months ago, twice, and now they're making you do the same things again but it's upped from 150 to 450 or 1350 to 4000. Enough is enough."

But then I see posts like this and I'm eager to do some stats experimentation and speed/physics comparisons.

That's something I was thinking about when I woke up. Ludger's dual blades have the advantage of generally hitting multiple times so it does feel like you're doing more damage faster. His artes are generally more fun to use with them. I have very little problems with the dual blades. They're wicked fun to use. I think I'm done with maining Ludger for now and will try my hand at learning Gaius and relearning Jude (because nerfing Jude makes him somewhat different).

And I had the same issue with the dual pistols.
KuGsj.gif
That's exactly what I thought they were going to be like going into the game, but no, he just jogs or walk forward while firing them. I was expecting something far more agile and faster--more DMC-esque as you said. The pistols seem to make him as slow as Alvin.

With regards to weapons with the "Hit" criteria, I was thinking more about Jude's animation speeds. Maybe it's just me but I noticed that people with the "Hit" property assigned to their attacks are generally... slower? Or they animate slower. I mean, all they probably did was fix Jude's agil/mov stat. But I've usually said that I prefer fighting faster, so my favourites are the dual knives. I have to wonder if the hammer (even though it isn't a bladed weapon) has the advantage that Gaius does: even if Gaius is slow, his sword is a huge asset because its reach is huge. He can swipe multiple enemies in one strike because the sword is so darn big. He doesn't need the speed because his sword is doing the damage for him. Since the hammer looks like it has a similar reach, wider attacks can hit multiple dudes, probably. Anyone who experimented more with the hammer wanna chime in?

I have to wonder if Level 198 Jude would have similar stats to Level 99 Jude (this is without giving him agil stat enhancers -- plus he has his fell arms + final armour equipped (no accessories), so that's why his power level is so high; edit: lol, I left the skills equipped, but doesn't matter because my point is that Jude is broken as hell.):

dsc00414k9uc2.jpg

I want to see if he can hit that Agil level.

This is why I play Tales games. I don't play them for the story or characters or anything like that. I play them to experiment with stuff like this. I like tinkering around with stats and abilities and equipment just to see if they'll make the characters have an advantage or if they will be at a disadvantage if I equip or unequip things.

I like seeing whether or not characters hit at an arc or if I can strike at a distance so that the hit will barely clip the enemy yet deal the same amount of damage. I like seeing how many hits I can deliver with one strike or if the enemy can block it or if it'll stun the enemy. I like seeing how well a character can deliver aerial attacks because those are the characters I typically like (aerials/speed/etc). That's why I don't like controlling mage characters too much; I hate standing at a distance and casting spells. I like going in for the kill and doing it as swiftly as possible without getting hit.

So... when people ask me about story in Tales games, I never know what to say!
KuGsj.gif

I really wish more PS3 games took advantage of that capability.
Me too. There are definitely a lot of games I'd love to use it for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom