• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have a wing in the restricted area of the GAF library, one must earn the right from a mod to go trawling through the dusty depths with lantern in hand to find the fabled texts, alas no one man has the strength to properly get one off the shelves without flattening themselves but they perish reading some useful information.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, I figured you missed my tomes. It's been a while, hasn't it?

Months, probably. The last semi-okay posts I'd posted in the past few months are these: 1, 2... uh... huh. I guess I haven't posted anything extremely large since the SotY/GotY stuff last year. Though to be fair, many of my lengthier posts have been in the Whatcha Been Playin' threads lately, and that's where I generally post impressions anyway. Shame I haven't posted impressions in a while, though. I like writing them a lot.

I'm a bit surprised at myself, to be honest, but I guess I haven't played that many games in a while to warrant a large post-play impressions post. It all boils down to the fact that I haven't had time to write lengthy stuff, and also the fact that I've been too preoccupied lately to go over some of these posts several times in Word to make sure they're not written terribly/save it if I need to do something else prior to posting it.

But I'll be frank. I miss NeoGAF's User Reviews thread. You got some very good and nicely thought-out reviews in that thread. If you're familiar with certain posters' taste, you have a better gauge of what you yourself might think of the game as opposed to combing through posts and posts in an official thread or a recommendations thread just to find some of this stuff. And the posts are long and cover some stuff decently.

The only reviews that seem to come close to that in recent recommendations threads are Nocturnowl's, Noi's, Nert's, JC's... well, actually, I think a lot of you in this thread end up writing very good post-game impressions. It's just hard to find them in one place sometimes! I've been told that my Ocarina of Time 3D review fit the bill perfectly, but that review can be a little biased at times, so it's not one of my favourites despite the fact that people genuinely like it. Something like my Hakuoki impressions or my Radiant Historia impressions might be more to my liking, tbh.

I did indeed miss the tomes.

I remember the user reviews thread, unfortunately it was mostly before my time here, at least the point when it was stickied was, I have no idea why they dropped it from up there, that thread should've gained more momentum than it did and I always enjoyed reading through it.
As you say now most impressions.reviews are scattered to the winds of GAF without one central thread to host them, I tend to shove a write up for each game I play in their OT these days and i've got a few others kicking around here and there like short ones in this very thread as well as that one 3DS recommendations/review thread which also didn't seem to gain any traction.

It's a shame really.

Quackula

Yeah, I figured you missed my tomes. It's been a while, hasn't it?

Months, probably. The last semi-okay posts I'd posted in the past few months are these: 1, 2... uh... huh. I guess I haven't posted anything extremely large since the SotY/GotY stuff last year. Though to be fair, many of my lengthier posts have been in the Whatcha Been Playin' threads lately, and that's where I generally post impressions anyway. Shame I haven't posted impressions in a while, though. I like writing them a lot.

I'm a bit surprised at myself, to be honest, but I guess I haven't played that many games in a while to warrant a large post-play impressions post. It all boils down to the fact that I haven't had time to write lengthy stuff, and also the fact that I've been too preoccupied lately to go over some of these posts several times in Word to make sure they're not written terribly/save it if I need to do something else prior to posting it.

But I'll be frank. I miss NeoGAF's User Reviews thread. You got some very good and nicely thought-out reviews in that thread. If you're familiar with certain posters' taste, you have a better gauge of what you yourself might think of the game as opposed to combing through posts and posts in an official thread or a recommendations thread just to find some of this stuff. And the posts are long and cover some stuff decently.

The only reviews that seem to come close to that in recent recommendations threads are Nocturnowl's, Noi's, Nert's, JC's... well, actually, I think a lot of you in this thread end up writing very good post-game impressions. It's just hard to find them in one place sometimes! I've been told that my Ocarina of Time 3D review fit the bill perfectly, but that review can be a little biased at times, so it's not one of my favourites despite the fact that people genuinely like it. Something like my Hakuoki impressions or my Radiant Historia impressions might be more to my liking, tbh.

Ever thought about starting up a blog or something and just reposting your longer posts in that?

Tumblr is a useful tool... assuming you're saying anything anyone wants to actually read, and aren't just posting inane bullshit. (Just like Twitter, except more so.)

I think anyone in this thread would probably have enough to say to keep an interesting tumblr. It's basically a blogging format, anyway.

Quackula

I've considered attempting blogging stuff before. I've got plenty to say, but I'm not all that good at organizing my thoughts.

--

I was doing pretty well in Valkyria Chronicles, and then I had an engineer of mine get captured.

PS BUTTON > QUIT GAME. I can't stand to lose one of my guys. :(

I'll retry this one later. I was doing so well until those last few moments too...

I was doing pretty well in Valkyria Chronicles, and then I had an engineer of mine get captured.

PS BUTTON > QUIT GAME. I can't stand to lose one of my guys. :(

I'll retry this one later. I was doing so well until those last few moments too...

Just in case you didn't know VC allows for mid battle saves.
Cheap but handy.

qq more

Well that's um... :/

Admittedly I thought the first part of the post was hilarious (even though unnecessary and rude, I have nothing against the OP himself) but as the for the last part, I felt that was going too far. Dissing people's weight is just... not cool at all :/

Hope his ban isn't too long though.

I will miss our Viewtiful fellow for what I hope is a brief period of time.

...14 chapters into the game and I never knew this.
I discovered it around chapter 8, I like to try and limit my usage of it as to not completely destroy the whole strategy aspect but then again no one likes sending 30 plus minutes down the drain.

Quackula

I discovered it around chapter 8, I like to try and limit my usage of it as to not completely destroy the whole strategy aspect but then again no one likes sending 30 plus minutes down the drain.

I'll keep it in mind next time I'm having trouble on a battle. I wouldn't want to overuse something like that either.

OMG Aero

...14 chapters into the game and I never knew this.
I can't remember how far into the game 14 chapters is, but I can't imagine playing that game without knowing how to quick save. Some of those missions are such bullshit, particularly the ones where you've got boss tanks or characters going around.
Well at least he got immortalised on NeoGAFShitPosts.
While I'm on there I wonder other posts have been on there recently...
ioe9iYb.gif

On a slightly related note, going from Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn's battle saves and Shadow Dragon's mid map save points back to good old crushing failure equals restart style in Awakening nearly awakes the raging demon within me at times, the pain of a late map cock up is agony, I wish they kept Shadow Dragon's take on things allowing one save per map or maybe Radiant Dawn's excessive battle save feature turned me weak.

I think Valkyria Chronicles 2 dropped mid battle saves but I never found it as much of an issue there since missions tended to be shorter.
Indeed it was the battle at Barious with the bloody tank in VC1 that required the mid battle saves, inaccurate lancers being your only chance of survival was not fun.

Quackula

I can't remember how far into the game 14 chapters is, but I can't imagine playing that game without knowing how to quick save. Some of those missions are such bullshit, particularly the ones where you've got boss tanks or characters going around.

Well, there's apparently 18 chapters, so I'd say it's a pretty far ways in.

Some of the missions are pretty bullshitty, but I feel like with some trial and error most of them are more than doable. I find often that after trying a mission three or four times, once I get into a good groove or discover a solid tactic to work with, even the more difficult missions start to go pretty smoothly.

Indeed it was the battle at Barious with the bloody tank in VC1 that required the mid battle saves, inaccurate lancers being your only chance of survival was not fun.

First time I tried that I was half asleep so I did horribly. Second time I was kinda running in blind and got stomped. Third time? That tank was DEAD. DEAD I TELL YOU. IT DIDN'T STAND A CHANCE.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Broach.

Delete that or make it smaller as soon as possible; thanks. It's not the fact that it's a condom, but we've had to adhere to Google policy nonsense since 2011, and I kinda like you. Don't do anything stupid. Edit: Not to mention that I suspect that some of the people who responded to that expect this thread to be somewhat rather squeaky clean.

Edit: Thanks, dude. Nothin' against anything about it because I thought it was funny, but y'know...

Ever thought about starting up a blog or something and just reposting your longer posts in that?
I have, and I think I used to do that in Facebook years ago and got the same suggestion because they thought other people would have liked to see what I'd written. Though I don't mind posting some of my stuff on GAF, just because GAF gets around anyway.

A blog would be far too much for me to maintain. Haha. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Well, that's unfortunate. I'm gonna miss JC. I hope that ban isn't long. :/

I did indeed miss the tomes.

I remember the user reviews thread, unfortunately it was mostly before my time here, at least the point when it was stickied was, I have no idea why they dropped it from up there, that thread should've gained more momentum than it did and I always enjoyed reading through it.

As you say now most impressions.reviews are scattered to the winds of GAF without one central thread to host them, I tend to shove a write up for each game I play in their OT these days and i've got a few others kicking around here and there like short ones in this very thread as well as that one 3DS recommendations/review thread which also didn't seem to gain any traction.

It's a shame really.
I used to read the user reviews thread back when I used to lurk as well, since a lot of the posters whose opinions mattered the most to me posted in that that thread. I may not have a harsh AniHawk scale, but he and I generally agree on things when it comes to platformers, so I was sad to see his opinions not exist in a larger catch-all thread. I don't think there were a lot of mods keeping it organized so I guess that's why it was unstickied and put into the depths of GAF's older threads. It's a shame because a lot of the stuff in that thread is well-written.

I'm very disappointed that the 3DS/Vita recommendations/review threads didn't gain any traction, either, but many of the reviews were incredibly bite-sized and didn't give a good impression of the game the people were reviewing anyway. Shame, that.

OMG Aero

well it stands out

wait, why are you taking issue with my post
Because the image wasn't that bad, you linked to the site it was from in the first place, and at least one of the Google policy rules Schala posted from 2011 is broken by a thread on the first page of Off-Topic on a daily basis without issue so I don't think those rules are even that relevant any more.
If it was posted in any other thread (like the funny pictures thread if that still exists) there wouldn't have been an issue at all, but some people in this thread are so fucking paranoid about anything in here giving anyone else the slightest idea of "creepy Sonic fan" which that image totally wouldn't have done.

BlackJace

Well, the paranoia is somewhat warranted. Not even 2 months ago we've had a sonic thread on GS in which several people called Sonic fans freaks and weirdos.

Also keep in mind we're on GAF, the bastion of overreaction and knee jerk.

qq more

Because the image wasn't that bad, you linked to the site it was from in the first place, and at least one of the Google policy rules Schala posted from 2011 is broken by a thread on the first page of Off-Topic on a daily basis without issue so I don't think those rules are even that relevant any more.
If it was posted in any other thread (like the funny pictures thread if that still exists) there wouldn't have been an issue at all, but some people in this thread are so fucking paranoid about anything in here giving anyone else the slightest idea of "creepy Sonic fan" which that image totally wouldn't have done.

I prefer the thread to be clean not just because of the "creepy Sonic fans" thing, but also because I don't like seeing people feeling uncomfortable. It's mostly the latter to me, really.

Though, I haven't seen the pic so I don't really understand the full situation. :s

The paranoia is earned. You know what Sonic threads gaming-side are like.

Anyway, I didn't even see that image before. So... I don't give a shit about the Google policy rules anyway.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I just don't want people to be uncomfortable in here, and going by how everyone else reacted, I don't think they were very comfortable with it at all. By contrast, I was cracking up at it when I read the label, myself. Hahaha.

Regardless! Let's move on.

Looks like Sonic went fast.

Buzz Lightyear didn’t look like a man on his way beyond infinity when Sonic the Hedgehog trudged apologetically past him on the 15 mile marker. And judging by the state of Superman, who followed not long after, public health officials need to sweep the Limehouse basin for Kryptonite as a matter of urgency.

brb, asking for Wreck it Ralph sequel or Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom