• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG Aero

We've had a good couple of years, people. Please stop trying to undo all that.
Okay seriously, someone help me understand this. Why do people people want Sonic Adventure 3?
Do people actually want a Sonic game where the majority of the time you aren't playing as Sonic, or do they literally just want the next Sonic game to have that name, even if it follows the current style of Sonic games, just for some weird nostalgia thing?

Okay seriously, someone help me understand this. Why do people people want Sonic Adventure 3?
Do people actually want a Sonic game where the majority of the time you aren't playing as Sonic, or do they literally just want the next Sonic game to have that name, even if it follows the current style of Sonic games, just for some weird nostalgia thing?
I think they can make a good sonic game that allows you to have fun with all the characters. If they can sit the fuck down and really try to make the game fun with all the characters without tacking on emerald finding and robots and shit it could be an enjoyable experience. They just cant lazy it up. I like Sonic characters I would like to play with them all but not in way that wouldnt allow fun.

Judging by some threads on this here GAF you've got people who feel that the Sonic gameplay in adventure is the pinnacle of 3D Sonic gameplay and I assume SA3's main cause for coming to fruition is simply more of this. And no I don't know why they love the SA gameplay so much, it's fun enough but Unleashed, Colours and Generations seemed like the perfect steps forward from it so I guess they must really love magic hands.

That's the best reason I can give that isn't awful, all the others open up entirely new lines of terrifying questions like do people desire another super serious Sonic plot? multiple gameplay types? maybe they are just that addicted to Chao Garden (i'm okay with this one).
SA2 has a ton of fluff to make it seem massive, multiple missions per stage, 3 gameplay types, Chao raising and their races/karate, Kart racing, boss rush, vs mode and so on, do people want all this?

I feel like people misinterpret what another Sonic Adventure actually means. It's as if them attempting a third game means they'll automatically take the worst most unfun aspects of the franchise and create some kind of 15-hour Big the Cat fishing Campaign travesty starring a playable amy, blaze, silver, suck the cock, froggy, poochie, maria, and the duke of soleanna, with no collision detection and hours of unskippable cutscenes.

No. Like I've repeated before, I can can very much see another Adventure focusing on just a playable Sonic, Tails and Knuckles. Levels that are less "racetrack" narrow and more open to exploration. Maybe a light Unleashed-esque plot. The Sonic Team of melodrama, incompetent programers, zero QA and 100% necrophilia is very much gone. I'd love to see them take another stab an Adventure, having learned all they have with their fresh new team. I'm also pretty much fed up with the current racetrack Sonic. To me they've come closest to doing Sonic justice in 3D with the original SA Sonic, so to see them try and build off of that interests me.

Although I think I'm in the minority with this opinion anyway.

Anth0ny

I feel like people misinterpret what another Sonic Adventure actually means. It's as if them attempting a third game means they'll automatically take the worst most unfun aspects of the franchise and create some kind of 15-hour Big the Cat fishing Campaign travesty starring a playable amy, blaze, silver, suck the cock, froggy, poochie, maria, and the duke of soleanna, with no collision detection and hours of unskippable cutscenes.

No. Like I've repeated before, I can can very much see another Adventure focusing on just a playable Sonic, Tails and Knuckles. Levels that are less "racetrack" narrow and more open to exploration. Maybe a light Unleashed-esque plot. The Sonic Team of melodrama, incompetent programers, zero QA and 100% necrophilia is very much gone. I'd love to see them take another stab an Adventure, having learned all they have with their fresh new team. I'm also pretty much fed up with the current racetrack Sonic. To me they've come closest to doing Sonic justice in 3D with the original SA Sonic, so to see them try and build off of that interests me.

Great post. Every time the possibility of SA3 is brought up, you'll inevitably see a "but Sonic 06 was SA3 herp derp" post following it up.

OMG Aero

If they were to do this though I think they would be much better off giving it a new name than tying it to the Adventure series. Look at the last three Sonic games, Generations, Colours, and Unleashed all share the same basic gameplay style and even they don't share names. When people ask for Adventure 3 specifically, it sounds like they want more similarities to Adventure 1 and 2 than just that you occasionally play as Tails or Knuckles.
And going by the fact that all these people cheering for it are the same crazy people who went fucking nuts for an SA2 port, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them actually wanted the thing you suggest in your first paragraph.

Isn't Sonic Adventure 1 the only one that actually has open stages? areas like the Ice Cap Cave, Twinkle Park, the final section of the Lost World and Sky Deck. Meanwhile SA2 is pretty narrow and linear all the way through, the best you get is split pathways and that's like a staple of all Sonic games.

If they were to do this though I think they would be much better off giving it a new name than tying it to the Adventure series. Look at the last three Sonic games, Generations, Colours, and Unleashed all share the same basic gameplay style and even they don't share names. When people ask for Adventure 3 specifically, it sounds like they want more similarities to Adventure 1 and 2 than just that you occasionally play as Tails or Knuckles.
And going by the fact that all these people cheering for it are the same crazy people who went fucking nuts for an SA2 port, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them actually wanted the thing you suggest in your first paragraph.

But see, even Adventure 1 and 2 are worlds apart. Visuals aside, SA2 was a step back in almost every faucet, from narrative, to controls, to execution. It's as much of an Adventure game as Heroes is. Its foundation was flawed, devoting 2/3rds of the game to very Un-Sonic like characters (you can argue that Tails, Knuckles, even Amy controlled pretty similarly to Sonic, with their own twist in the first game), placed in either cramped hallways with a worse camera, or bloated needle-in-a-haystack fetch quests. The frustration from trying to get Knuckles through shit like Aquatic Mine or Meteor Herd or slogging those robo-walkers through dull corridors and small platforms was unmatched until 06 showed up. Even Sonic himself inherited some spastic needle sharp movement in his controls. You could at least play SA1 as just Sonic and stop there if you so chose.

Then the start of the edginess with a plot that has a swat team aiming guns at Sonic, Sonic in jail, Sonic watching the death of Robotnick's grandfather, a dead grand daughter... like, what in the fucking fuck? The flawed, but far more appropriate template SA1 created was completely violated and worsened in every way possible. What I described earlier would be more of a Sonic Adventure game than SA2 ever thought it was.

When I ask for an Adventure 3, I do want similarities. To the first game that is, not the storm of absurd, cramped shit that the second inspired (With a conservative main cast that is). But the Sonic Team today would most likely take the best aspects of SA1 and improve on them. In the last half decade, they've been putting their best foot forward, so why not believe they can crank out an evolution of the Adventure style?

Sciz

When I ask for an Adventure 3, I do want similarities. To the first game that is, not the storm of absurd, cramped shit that the second inspired (With a conservative main cast that is). But the Sonic Team today would most likely take the best aspects of SA1 and improve on them. In the last half decade, they've been putting their best foot forward, so why not believe they can crank out an evolution of the Adventure style?

Because there aren't a lot of people who actually want an evolution of the Adventure style, they just want to be eight again, and they'll never be any happier than the people who want a genuine classic game again. Sonic Team might be able to produce a facsimile, but no matter how good it is, it won't be The Real Deal and the only happy people will be the small subset that can enjoy it for what it is.

Honestly, Generations felt like an extension of the Adventure gameplay style as it was, anyway. I mean, sure, it's just Sonic, no Tails or Knuckles, but Sonic's gameplay didn't really feel too far off (provided you replace the Spin Dash with the boost like Sega's been wont to do lately). I'm not sure that adding wildly different gameplay styles is really in the series' best interest anymore; the last time they did this, Unleashed, it backfired horribly (the Man-Hog isn't horrible, but fairly tedious, and either way was cited as the largest problem with the game in many reviews). Instead, finding ways to make Tails and Knuckles work with the Unleashed/Generations gameplay might be in their best interest - although since neither can boost (or at any rate, neither should boost), they'll really need to step up how tight the controls are when not boosting. From what I played of Generations, the not-boosting controls didn't feel right, but I can't really tell if they're too tight or too loose...

ShadiWulf

“Sonic is a well-known character, but we’ve got a lot of room to grow in merchandising . We dream of Hello Kitty. We’re still far off from that but we can see that our profits are growing year on year in the US and Europe [on merchandising]. We’ve got a licensing team on the ground in the UK who are focusing on that and that team will expand. We’ve got a team in the US and which will also expand. We used to run it all out of Sega of Japan, but having people on the ground is making a big difference. We will always do the computer game but the merchandising is a very important aspect to Sonic.” – Jurgen Post, COO of SEGA Europe

http://segabits.com/blog/2012/07/17/sega-says-sonic-the-hedgehog-can-be-the-next-hello-kitty/

Sounds good to me! the more Sonic merchandise the better!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Is everyone at Sega drunk this week? Serious question. I guess one way of getting Sonic's name out there is to do the cross-promotional stuff like they're doing with ASR:T.

I swear that Sega and Sonic merchandising was pretty huge in the 1990s. You used to be able to see Sonic everywhere. Now, not so much...

Also, regarding Sonic Adventure, can it possibly be the case that some people who want it juts haven't played the SA games since their initial release? Play them now and they really haven't aged that well. I agree with Sciz--people who want an SA3 don't want a new iteration of the series which expands and improves the formula; they want something similar to SA1 and possibly SA2 with little gameplay improvements and mere tightening of control and prettier graphics.

Really, whatever Sega cranks out, as you can tell right now with some people's dissatisfaction with the current formula which Generations/Unleashed/Colours implemented, people just won't be happy with it. I really do think that nostalgia plays a bit of a role in a complete and utter desire for SA3.

That doesn't mean that I don't want an SA3. If they can design something that works, controls tightly, and is completely cohesive in play, then good for them. As of now, though, I'm pretty happy with where Sega's taking the series. They just need to improve the stuff they're currently implementing to make something even more fun to play.

TheOGB

Banned
It's not that I wouldn't ever want Sonic Team to return to an Adventure-style adventure, but... baby steps. We arguably just had our new Sonic 1, 2 and 3 (Unleashed, Colors, Generations), so maybe they're ready for Adventure 3 now?

Either that or a few years of bullshit

We dream of Hello Kitty.
Uhh

I swear that Sega and Sonic merchandising was pretty huge in the 1990s. You used to be able to see Sonic everywhere. Now, not so much...

Well at least here in the UK I see far more sonic merchandise than back in the day, in fact it's probably the most frequent sight of game franchises tied to merchandise, I knew I should've purchased that Sonic underwear I saw one time.

Sciz

It's not that I wouldn't ever want Sonic Team to return to an Adventure-style adventure, but... baby steps. We arguably just had our new Sonic 1, 2 and 3 (Unleashed, Colors, Generations), so maybe they're ready for Adventure 3 now?

Either that or a few years of bullshit
Colors is more the Sonic CD of the current run.

I'm just saying this because I'd really like another Sonic 3-grade entry.

It's funny, for how hard they pushed the friends for a while, you could hardly buy merchandise of some of them. Where was the Team Chaotix stuff? (There might be something StF-era for Espio, but that's it.) Blaze the Cat is impossible to find merchandise of. I think there was literally nothing made for Marine, and I'm sure someone out there likes her, struth. Rouge stuff is so rare, it goes for ridiculous prices on eBay for some badly-made action figure or ancient Sonic Adventure 2-era plush.

Admit it, you'd totally buy a stuffed Omega that said "Worthless Consumer Models!" when you squeezed its hand.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well at least here in the UK I see far more sonic merchandise than back in the day, in fact it's probably the most frequent sight of game franchises tied to merchandise, I knew I should've purchased that Sonic underwear I saw one time.
Well, in Canada, I think you rarely saw stuff outside of food or clothing (boys' clothing, mostly). Unless I was looking in the wrong places.

Man, boys got all the cool clothing back then. :lol

TheOGB

Banned
Colors is more the Sonic CD of the current run.

I'm just saying this because I'd really like another Sonic 3-grade entry.
...Okay yeah, let's go with that then.

So someone recorded a clip of Sonic's scene in the Wreck it Ralph film, the bad news is that it's from Sonic Boom so people are screaming over it and you can hardly hear anything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDXCf_gOkMM

Also I find it pretty funny that Sonic's apparent only appearance in the movie is
on an advert on a bin
5:55
"Oh my god, WRECK-IT RALPH IS IN THE GAME!!" :lol

ShadiWulf

It's funny, for how hard they pushed the friends for a while, you could hardly buy merchandise of some of them. Where was the Team Chaotix stuff? (There might be something StF-era for Espio, but that's it.) Blaze the Cat is impossible to find merchandise of. I think there was literally nothing made for Marine, and I'm sure someone out there likes her, struth. Rouge stuff is so rare, it goes for ridiculous prices on eBay for some badly-made action figure or ancient Sonic Adventure 2-era plush.

Admit it, you'd totally buy a stuffed Omega that said "Worthless Consumer Models!" when you squeezed its hand.

lol, that would make an add toy

just have "Worthless consumer models" and "annihilate"

We exist in a world where nostalgia is traded as a commodity and a lot of the kids who were 8 or 9 years old when Sonic Adventure came out are now getting to that age where they look back fondly on their childhood and want to recapture their youth.

Even though we've had games as recently as 2008 that have fit in to what could be classified as the "Sonic Adventure" mold. But no, it isn't NAMED Sonic Adventure 3, so it can't count!

Psxphile

We went over this already. I even made a cute Super Mario Bros. 4 -> Super Mario World 2 reference but no one took the bait. ._.

OMG Aero

Pro tip: If you want to continue liking Kyle and Keith don't look at their Something Awful threads. Man do they act like fucking children if anyone gives them the slightest bit of criticism.

Big killed in a drive-by confirmed

Holy shit
KuGsj.gif

BlackJace

Pro tip: If you want to continue liking Kyle and Keith don't look at their Something Awful threads. Man do they act like fucking children if anyone gives them the slightest bit of criticism.

Duly noted. The internet must give off something that makes people act crazy.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh you guys. I shouldn't have been sipping on something when I peeked back in here... Poor Big! :lol

Aw, that's a shame. They seem pretty cool in the videos, but I guess the internet would make some people rather obnoxious. Disappointing because I think Kyle's timbre is nice to listen to.

Billiechu said:
Blaze>Big
Blaze is the bestest cat in the Sonic Universe.

Yeah, a Sonic Adventure 3 could be brilliant if they would simply sit down and be able to tell themselves "this sucks, it needs taken back to the drawing board" until they get it right.

Before even getting all the way through your post I immediately began thinking of a potential Sonic Adventure 3, which has a well designed, fun-to-platform-in open world that you would access your stages from (Unleashed was pretty bad, and 06 was just awful, in that regard, IMO). Have Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles levels that are all simply platforming based levels made in a way that would utilize each character's abilities, like flying for Tails, gliding and punching for Knuckles, and Sonic's speed, homing attacks, and ring light dashes.

At this point though, I do have to wonder what Sonic Team is working on. I doubt they are sitting around twiddling their fingers.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Even when he had the black gumball eyes, you still wanted to go fast! Man, I could go for one of those right now...

It got to 45°C with the humidity here today (I think that's like 112 or so). It feels like 41 right now.

I... I don't think I can go fast at the moment. :/

Well, what even IS Sonic Adventure? Breaking it down, Sonic Adventure is:

• A heavy emphasis on narrative, specifically the notion of intertwining storylines between multiple characters all orbiting a central event.
  • Multiple playable characters, typically broken down by "character class". Speed, shooting, hunting, etc. Each character is a specialist.
  • A big explorable hub world with NPCs
  • Metroid-style skill upgrades hidden around the game world
  • A very rudimentary quest system (bring key card to door to access Speed Highway, etc.)

Most of these are things that are not only passé as far as Sonic games are concerned, but are passé as far as videogames in general are concerned. Everything done in games like Sonic Colors and to a certain extent Sonic Generations were to get away from all of these ideas.

It's Sonic Adventure 2 all over again. Everybody I knew back when Sonic Adventure came out complained about how everybody was stealing Sonic's spotlight and there were too many playable characters. It must've been a pretty wide-spread complaint because Sonic Team reacted to this with SA2, as originally the roster of characters was down to Sonic, Knuckles, and Eggman. But oh no, where's Tails? Can't have a Sonic game without Tails. Sonic Team should put Tails in SA2.

And then they did. They went back and very likely retooled a significant portion of the game to fit Tails in there as a playable character. They also inserted Amy Rose because well hey if we're putting Tails in we might as well put Amy in otherwise people are going to complain about that, too. And pretty soon we're back at a massive ensemble cast again because the fans "wanted" it.

And then we get Sonic Heroes because well geeze people like large rosters apparently so let's make a game with 12 playable characters because every Sonic game needs Tails and Knuckles and Amy and Big and Cream and Shadow and Rouge and...

What I'm getting at here is that if the Sonic fandom keeps sending Sonic Team mixed signals then we're never escaping the gravitational pull of this black hole the franchise has found itself being sucked in to.

TheOGB

Banned
^ I almost think (and have thought) that Sonic Team should just say "Fuck you, here's what we're doing, deal with it." Problem there being I don't completely trust what they would do. :p

One thing I hope they just stop doing, whether more than one playable character or none, spin-off or mainline, stop with this "Team Heroes!" "Team Dark!" "Team Edward!" "Team Jacob!" bullshit. So lame. Make unique team names, like the Sonic Advance 3 pairs or something. I'll admit that's more of a random annoyance, though.

It's too damn hot outside and inside. Ugh. I need to study but my brain doesn't want to.

I could really go for one of these:

Instead I'm eating raspberry sorbet.
Ice cream trucks around here still have them, and they are still friggin delicious

Kokonoe

Banned
I know nostalgia exists, but I think using it as a means for deciding what people like isn't quite right. I mean by that logic, would I be nostalgic for liking classic Sonic games?

TheOGB

Banned
Sonic Adventure 2 PR
LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO— 16th Jul, 2012 — In a totally unexpected, surprise announcement at the 2012 Sonic Boom community fan-fest during San Diego Comic-Con, SEGA® Europe Ltd. and SEGA® of America, Inc. have officially announced the upcoming HD remake of legendary Dreamcast title Sonic Adventure 2™ for PlayStation®Network and Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft.

The game that first introduced the world to Sonic’s darker counterpart, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Adventure 2 has players exploring two unique storylines from the perspectives of both long time heroes and new and returning villains in a battle for the fate of the world. First released in 2001 and hailed as one of the last great Dreamcast releases, this unmissable Sonic story will feature high-definition graphics, leaderboards, achievement/trophy support, and more when it hits consoles later this year.

"and more" better include online multiplayer SEGA!
RSbbk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom