• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Colours didn't make me nauseous like Heroes did.

Colours also didn't have a version of Metal Sonic made to look like the Sonic version of Sephiroth.

Therefore Colours wins.

More importantly, Colours didn't have level design that committing the dual sins of being boring and annoying, whilst having controls and camera that served only to hinder, making for an utterly tedious experience.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Like motion sickness?
Yup. If the framerate is something I can't handle or if the camera moves really wonky or if the game is in first person (excluding really old first-person dungeon crawlers), I'll get really nauseous.

That's why I don't play shooters or first-person RPGs much.

The same thing happened with the SMG games too. I had to force myself to get through those because my brain really didn't like it, haha.

Kokonoe

Banned
More importantly, Colours didn't have level design that committing the dual sins of being boring and annoying, whilst having controls and camera that served only to hinder, making for an utterly tedious experience.

I'd say it does in my opinion. The 2D segments get really repetitive at times, the time consumption based on doing these repetitive things like in the Starlight Carnival, Aquarium Park, and Asteroid Coaster is that.

The controls are mainly good, but there are things like the double jump that tend to slow down progress just to slow down progress. I just dislike double jumping in Sonic if it isn't a power up that super propels you in the air, least that way it feels significant. The power ups seem a little unnecessary at times, and I wondered if some of them really add to the experience, or are they just there to be an obstacle in your way.

That's... a very odd reason. What made you enjoy Heroes more out of curiosity?

Well this being that I didn't really enjoy the 2D segments of Colors which is what stopped me from playing it. Oddly enough, I anticipated Colors strongly, and was eagerly awaiting it's release. (unlike Heroes)
I'd give Colors a 6.0 or a 6.5, while I'd give Heroes an 8.0.

qq more

The double jumping really needed work in Colors. It felt awkward. They should of have just included elemental shields. Why are they so excluded nowadays? :/

I don't "get" the double jump in Sonic Colors. Why did we need that? Why not just a higher jump instead of this shitty, slightly higher second one? Why is it so awkward and slow? WHY!?

The 3d sections in Colors are the worst, though. For all of Unleashed many(many!) faults, at least the 3d boosting seemed exhilarating and exciting. In Colors, it's so dull, perfunctory almost. Those parts where you have to move left or right real quick aren't nearly as intuitive as the LB/RB buttons from Unleashed, and the big jump-in-the-air-QTE is literally just mashing the A button over and over again. And don't get me started on all those on-rails Stardust sections where the game just plays itself for 20 seconds.

As good and fun as most of the 2d sections are, the 3d took a big step backwards.

Taking my obligatory stance of sure the double jump is kind of pointless but given the option it's better than failed air dash motion, you've never heard me say this before i'm sure.
I was playing generations yesterday and I would've killed for that double jump at some points.
Clearly the solution is
1. Improve sonic's jump
2. No secondary jump button effect
WINNER!
Coming to think of it that's pretty much Unleashed right? ahead of the curve.

BlackJace

The double jumping really needed work in Colors. It felt awkward. They should of have just included elemental shields. Why are they so excluded nowadays? :/

The question is, why is Sonic able to double jump? He's never needed it. That's what the bubble shield is for.

Edit: Beaten.

I was fine with the double jump, although I admit the feel of it could've been tweaked just a little better.

I really liked being able to jump-swim in the water in Colors. Felt a little like cheating, but so good.

qq more

Do you guys think Sonic 4 Episode III (more like Sonic Dimps, amirite) will bring back the elemental shields as tribute to Sonic 3?

Do you guys think Sonic 4 Episode III (more like Sonic Dimps, amirite) will bring back the elemental shields as tribute to Sonic 3?

I think it will bring back good gameplay.....pfffftt AHAHAHA! I couldn't type that with a straight face!
I'm really just hoping they stop this charade, take a look at the Classic Sonic gameplay in both versions of Generations and use one of them as a base to set up a Sonic classic sub series that can work as the Sega equivalent of New Super Mario Bros except it actually has different worlds in each game.

qq more

They could like... get whoever made the levels from Sonic Generations PS3/360/PC. I mean, seriously, is it so hard, Sega?

Really? 06 AND Heroes? AND Mario 64 > Banjo? Terrible opinions.
Mario 64 > Banjo I can see, though. They're both excellent titles, focused on the same sorts of activities, for the most part. Which one is better really is personal preference.

The opinions comparing toward Colors, on the other hand...

Anth0ny

2d segments in colors are almost sonic 4 bad. didn't enjoy them at all.

If you wanna make a 2D Sonic, make a 2D Sonic. Changing the perspective and leaving in the weird, shitty physics of Colors doesn't work for me.

qq more

2d segments in colors are almost sonic 4 bad.

:psyduck:

Outside of the weird double jump, the physics seemed fine to me. But IDK, it's been a while. And the level design was mostly reasonable. Outside of a few shitty acts, it's way more well designed than Sonic fucking 4.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I want a version of Sonic CD on my Vita or 3DS now. Those colours.

I want a version of Sonic anything on Vita, really. 3DS got Generations 3DS. It's just too bad that Vita doesn't have the install base to support a new Sonic game or something like that (outside of All-Stars Racing Transformed). This is what I get for watching playthroughs, LPs, and speedruns on the Vita, really. I want stuff I can't have. :(

Mm... I think I might go put a preorder in for the Vita version and PS3 version either when they go up on Amazon or next week in-store. Kinda interested in what the Vita version has to offer.

This. I always thought Sonic was the most elemental character of the three primary characters. Of course, homing attack is like the Fire Shield now, but the other two shields could be of some use. It's like some of us said earlier in the thread--taking advantage of wisp-like powers would be really creative and would work well.

TheOGB

Banned
I'd say it does in my opinion. The 2D segments get really repetitive at times, the time consumption based on doing these repetitive things like in the Starlight Carnival, Aquarium Park, and Asteroid Coaster is that.

The controls are mainly good, but there are things like the double jump that tend to slow down progress just to slow down progress. I just dislike double jumping in Sonic if it isn't a power up that super propels you in the air, least that way it feels significant. The power ups seem a little unnecessary at times, and I wondered if some of them really add to the experience, or are they just there to be an obstacle in your way.
I thought the point of them was to be unobtrusive, and that you could find a way, more often than not, to beat a level without them. Actually, wasn't that a stated goal for the wisps? Is that a thing or am I imagining that quote??

EDIT: Okay yeah, this Nintendo Power preview likens them to Mario suits and says they're optional, and I think in another NP preview someone they interviewed said something similar.

Taking my obligatory stance of sure the double jump is kind of pointless but given the option it's better than failed air dash motion, you've never heard me say this before i'm sure.
I was playing generations yesterday and I would've killed for that double jump at some points.
Clearly the solution is
1. Improve sonic's jump
2. No secondary jump button effect
WINNER!
Coming to think of it that's pretty much Unleashed right? ahead of the curve.
The double jump didn't kill any babies as far as I know, but yeah, the level design just needed to change ever so slightly and they could've got rid of it. Sonic's jump could have been improved a bit, but I almost feel like they wouldve made it too powerful, and maybe that's why they tweaked it and added the double jump? Idk. Still definitely better than air dashing, but I think I'd prefer your solution; if there's no homing attack target, then just do nothing.

BlackJace

I want a version of Sonic anything on Vita, really. 3DS got Generations 3DS. It's just too bad that Vita doesn't have the install base to support a new Sonic game or something like that (outside of All-Stars Racing Transformed). This is what I get for watching playthroughs, LPs, and speedruns on the Vita, really. I want stuff I can't have. :(

You'll get a new, sub-par Rivals, and you'll like it!

Kokonoe

Banned
How do you fellows determine when you rate something in the 6 range?
I myself consider it that it's not a bad game, but it's just not for me.

qq more

6/10 to me is just a game that's very flawed but at the same time somewhat decent. Not a bad game but not something I'd recommend.

Anth0ny

10- Must play for anyone interested in video games. Flawless.
9- Fantastic game with very few small flaws.
8- Great game. Hard to differentiate between a 9 and 8 imo.
7- Game has some flaws. A fan of the series could look past them, but may be more noticeable for players new to the franchise. Nonetheless, worth a shot. Try to pick up on sale/used.
6- A good game that shows potential, but is held back by many small flaws or a couple of major flaws.
1-5- Varying degrees of "not worth playing".

10- Must play for anyone interested in video games. Flawless.
9- Fantastic game with very few small flaws.
8- Great game. Hard to differentiate between a 9 and 8 imo.
7- Game has some flaws. A fan of the series could look past them, but may be more noticeable for players new to the franchise. Nonetheless, worth a shot. Try to pick up on sale/used.
6- A good game that shows potential, but is held back by many small flaws or a couple of major flaws.
1-5- Varying degrees of "not worth playing".

Yeah, this pretty much.

There's really only a small number of games I'd ever rate a 10, though.

Drago

Anything lower than 6 isn't worth it. Even 6 is pushing it.

7+ is positive for me.

Basically, what Anth0ny said.

Emitan

1-4 are not worth playing unless it's fun with friends to suffer together
5-6 are rentals
7 is something that has a lot of great ideas but is held back in some way
8-9 are definitely worth buying if it sounds cool
10 is Super Smash Bros. Melee and Fire Emblem 7

Drago

Fire Emblem 7 is the one that's just called Fire Emblem in the US right?

I bought that earlier in the year for $14 in perfect condition - an impulse buy because the game usually goes for around $30 iirc. Still haven't played too much of it, and at this rate I'll probably play and beat Awakening before I play that one :/

Emitan

Fire Emblem 7 is the one that's just called Fire Emblem in the US right?

I bought that earlier in the year for $14 in perfect condition - an impulse buy because the game usually goes for around $30 iirc. Still haven't played too much of it, and at this rate I'll probably play and beat Awakening before I play that one :/

Yes. It's just Fire Emblem here. I use 7 to clarify for crazy people Dark Schala.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You'll get a new, sub-par Rivals, and you'll like it!
But I don't want one of those. :(

That's kind of my position. I hate scoring things, though, so I generally nix a score whenever I write up impressions for something.

1 - lol.
2 - Really bad, but there might be something neat in there.
3 - Unremarkable.
4 - I like one thing in there, I think. Otherwise, not very good.
5 - passable; I have no attachment to it
6 - average; I feel indifferent to it overall despite liking a few mechanics.
7 - good; found a fraction of it quite enjoyable
8 - great; found most of it enjoyable, but has some stuff holding it back
9 - Awesome, but has some nitpicks that could and should be fixed in the next iteration.
10 - Excellent and perfect across the board.

I sorta wish someone would resurrect the NeoGAF User Review thread. Amir0x used to update it, but he wasn't able to, the thread fell into obscurity this year. It's too bad. I really liked that thread cuz I trust some GAF members' impressions based on how their tastes relate to mine.

Yes. It's just Fire Emblem here. I use 7 to clarify for crazy people Dark Schala.
Hey, I'm not a crazy people. I would also accept "Rekka no Ken". :p

This is Fire Emblem. Still super-irritated that they didn't bring the Monshou no Nazo remake because apparently that one was a pretty good remake.

TheOGB

Banned
Ratings, eh? Despite how indecisive I can be I think a 5 point scale serves the purpose well enough. Just take the specifics of the points and apply em to your explanation.

1 - Bad or terrible. Not worth your time, unless you hate yourself or for science/a good drunken time.
2 - Not terrible, but not good. Might have something good in it/good ideas, but more likely than not, not worth the time. If you're really interested, get a secondhand experience before going in yourself.
3 - Good, but not great. If you're interested/a fan, it's probably worth a look. Good ideas, but maybe not the best execution. May have one major flaw.
4 - Great game, good ideas, but minor flaws hold it back a bit. Give it a shot.
5 - I said Gotdayum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom