• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG Aero

Adv. 1's special stage requirement was no issue at all. Just find a big ass spring.
Advance 1 had really terrible special stages though that were difficult to complete because the sense of perspective was awful.
Every single Sonic Advance game had either terrible special stages or terrible methods of getting to the special stages.

And you didn't even mention Advance 3's requirements, where you had to get 10 hidden chao throughout the zone, then go back to levels to find keys, then find the spring in the hub.

It's like, what the hell man
It certainly did extend the length of the hasn't, though... >_>

It's like, what the hell man

length of the hasn't
Autocorrect?

BlackJace

Advance 1 had really terrible special stages though that were difficult to complete because the sense of perspective was awful.
Every single Sonic Advance game had either terrible special stages or terrible methods of getting to the special stages.

I agree. Adv. 1's problem was the former.

qq more

And you didn't even mention Advance 3's requirements, where you had to get 10 hidden chao throughout the zone, then go back to levels to find keys, then find the spring in the hub.

The good thing is that isn't really all that bad. The Chao part is tedious but at least you don't have to recollect the same ones. And once you even get 10 Chao, you'd only have to find a key which is all over the place. The spring is super easy to find too. And even if you lose the special stage, as long as you have another key, you can retry right away!

Admittedly, it's still a lame ass way to get to special stages, because it is just needless padding, but not as bad as Advance 2 since that horrible game required a grand total of 24 emeralds to unlock everything. Ugh.

Sciz

The thread's really picked up speed in the last month. For a while there we were taking a month to go through ten pages (for superior 50p/page GAF), then that got down to a couple weeks somewhere around May, and now it's about ten per week.

I say that because I had to go back 35 pages to figure out when I'd last done a comic roundup:

StH #238

Main story:
-Still the wolf pack, still Butler on pencils. Lupe on the table on page 1 shows off his problems with anatomy rather nicely. Her shading feels really weird too, like spots were just colored light or dark at random.

-Oh look, the cliffhanger from last issue is resolved almost immediately and without consequence. I hate it when comics do this.

-The most interesting thing to happen in pages 3-5 is Sonic giving a cat a noogie.

-"He made a terrible queen" is, however, a fantastic line.

-Several more pages where nothing much happens.

-Interesting line: "I do not need saving."

-Similarly, Robotnik's taking advice from her again. This continues to smell extremely suspicious.

-Okay, Hathor and Lupe's interpersonal dynamics in these two issues finally add a little bit of life to these otherwise completely boring groups. If we end up coming back here yet again in another couple years, that element needs to be front and center.

-Another "...secret mission?" stinger asdflahasldkh WE GET IT ALREADY

-It doesn't help that Leeta and Lyco are still dry as toast.
Backup story:
-Harvey is also pretty boring. Like L&L, he is thus far completely infallible. At least we've seen the twins' Generic Karate Skills in action, while Harvey's role as master of intel is almost entirely an informed attribute.

-Evan Stanley's work has been mighty fine so far, but her Nicole needs work. Everything else is excellent, though.

-Hey look, there's that backstory that Universe just didn't bother with.

-Shard is still great. And speaking of mighty fine, Dem Lips.

-Okay, so Ian's still not explaining how in the world Shard isn't molten slag or how he's here, but the explanations that are given slide nearly into continuity. Well played. But I still want answers.

-The old school throwback is a nice touch. Robo-Chuck never looked so good, either.

-"...secret" asdagafhsdfhdfjsgjasdhfdsfa

Overall, decent backup story and it's nice to finally get some of those gaps filled in. If we never see the cats and dogs again it'll be too soon.

Off Panel: Best Off Panel or best Off Panel?

Universe #42
-This cover? It is a great cover.

-Page by page doesn't really work for this issue, so I'm going to do a simple good/bad breakdown:

The Good:
-Naugus's ongoing mental breakdown continues to make him an intriguing character.

-Leeta and Lyco finally start to develop a personality. There's just one between the two of them, but it's a start.

-Yardley's art is as good as ever, aside from the twins having ridiculous muzzles in the last panel of the flashback.

The Bad:
-INSTANTANEOUS CONFLICT. Sort of. Once again, Universe is tracking further ahead of continuity than has actually been published yet, and thoroughly critical stories that set up this entire arc are in issues of the main book that aren't out. It doesn't work, like stepping into the middle of a movie. Without having the setup, the conflict has no impact. The fact that there's a checklist for keeping it all straight is telling. It also shows off just how terrible Greg Horn's covers are. Seriously, what the hell.

-In fairness, Ian's mentioned once or twice that this year has seen a lot of internal last-minute shuffling and rewriting of scripts, so there's probably more to why the order is so weird than we're seeing. But it still bites.

-Elias was a poor king, he's still a poor leader now, and I don't like him. It's a step up from not caring about him at all, but I'm still rooting for Naugus as king over him, and I don't think that's what's intended.

-Like the last issue, nothing much happens. There's a little bit of setup for something, but it's buried under twenty pages of action and flashback. Unlike the last issue, this is the boring half of the team that lacks fun powers to overcome adversity with and well-developed characterization to bounce off of one another. Also the teaser page from the end of last month's issue is repeated verbatim.

The Ugly: Naugus. But I still like him.

Off Panel: dohohohoho

If Dubs is still hanging around, I'd like to take this moment to say that your art in all of these is spectacular.

tl;dr: meh. One of the worse months in recent memory.

Don't you mean 35?

Or at least 28, I forget.
I think it's 28. IIRC, getting them as Amy didn't do anything.

Shizzlee

YO GAF GET AT ME

I have no life. Don't try to get at me because this game is terrible. It's bad and I feel bad for playing it, but for the past few days it has been an addiction. I need to buy more games. :(

YO GAF GET AT ME

I have no life. Don't try to get at me because this game is terrible. It's bad and I feel bad for playing it, but for the past few days it has been an addiction. I need to buy more games. :(

Don't feel bad. I have over half the achievements in Sonic 06, including a number of optional ones I didn't have to get.

Sometimes, that's just how it goes.

These videos do highlight a problem I have seen in Black Knight, where you can move obscenely fast but then the level design arbitrarily decides you need to be locked in to something slow and unnecessary for a few minutes. It looks absolutely silly to be traveling at 400mph and then you basically just stop cold and have to stand on the world's slowest boat for a while.

YO GAF GET AT ME

I still can't believe this same team went on to make Colors about a year or two later. The fact that you're apparently getting near perfect scores but it still looks like a schizophrenic mess to me doesn't make me want to try it out for myself either, though I was suckered into getting Secret Rings. It was the first console game since Heroes put me off most of the series for roughly eight years I got and thought it was god awful. Only recently did I realize how people could like it when compared to what came out on the HD twins.

I guess it served as a (very vague) template for the better Unleashed and far better Colors/Generations and probably helped usher back in a focus on a fantasy-aesthetic for the series, so its existence was somewhat beneficial in the long run.

YO GAF GET AT ME

I recognize the music for all the other videos, but I don't recognize it from the third one.

Haven't played Black Knight, but least it gave us this.
Sorry, this is the only song from Black Knight that I remember. And it wasn't even from Black Knight.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Welp.

I guess I have to play Sonic 2006 today because of the US/Canada match.

Debating whether or not I should drink while I play it.

Okay so earlier today I had this sudden urge to play Sonic the Hedgehog Master System version, despite having the wii points available to just get it from the VC I was feeling particularly cheap and having a point use crisis so instead I wheeled out Sonic Adventure DX for the Game Gear version.

Before i've said that I probably prefer this version to the actual Sonic 1 but now I can confirm, at least for me this MS/GG game is miles ahead of Genesis/Mega Drive Sonic 1.
Sonic has good speed, while he never gets faster than his Genesis counterpart he has much swifter standard movement, the game has better platforming from what I can see, both Jungle Zone stages are just so good, they've leaped up the ranks of my favourite Sonic stages with the funky music, bright visuals and enjoyable jumping. Plus I found a good way to avoid Bridge Zone Boss projectiles, oh yes.
Bonus stages are the best, THE BEST! once again you've got some jamming music and with the emeralds hidden within the stages themselves you don't have to worry about screwing up as you ping yourself around the springy special stage aiming specifically for that continue box. The lack of enemies likely due to the lack of power is actually welcome as well.
Unfortunately I was having too much fun so in labyrinth zone the game decided to freeze on me, hilariously the SA game was fine, I could still access the menu and leave back to SA but the emulation was frozen, what a load of bunk! I should've just shelled out for the VC version, let this be a lesson in the crimes you pay for going the cheap way.

Since I was forced back to SA I played a few sonic stages, despite the sort of glitchy feel and erratic camera i'm thinking they're a lot better than the SA2 stages, Final Egg is a pretty fun stage but I have to question what's up with that grunt Sonic makes when climbing a ladder in this stage?

Basically the point is i'll take my Bridge and Jungle Zones over those filthy Marble and Spring Yard zones, better stages with better music to boot, come at me.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Bummer. It'd be interesting just to see someone as restrained as yourself put up with that thing. :lol
I've drunk-posted about Sonic 2006 before and rage-quit at Silver.

But I don't really want to play this drunk today, lol.

Edit:

GOTTA GO FAST.

Edit: This stupid fucking game. How do I die right when I'm supposed to be finishing off a light dash. oh my god.

hRxeM.jpg

Before i've said that I probably prefer this version to the actual Sonic 1 but now I can confirm, at least for me this MS/GG game is miles ahead of Genesis/Mega Drive Sonic 1.
Sonic has good speed, while he never gets faster than his Genesis counterpart he has much swifter standard movement, the game has better platforming from what I can see, both Jungle Zone stages are just so good, they've leaped up the ranks of my favourite Sonic stages with the funky music, bright visuals and enjoyable jumping. Plus I found a good way to avoid Bridge Zone Boss projectiles, oh yes.
Bonus stages are the best, THE BEST! once again you've got some jamming music and with the emeralds hidden within the stages themselves you don't have to worry about screwing up as you ping yourself around the springy special stage aiming specifically for that continue box. The lack of enemies likely due to the lack of power is actually welcome as well.

Basically the point is i'll take my Bridge and Jungle Zones over those filthy Marble and Spring Yard zones, better stages with better music to boot, come at me.
Really? That's pretty interesting; haven't heard that one before. Yeah, I can see where you're getting that. GG Sonic 1 is pretty decent compared to GG Sonic 2. And at least the platforming is relatively decent. I never liked Genesis Sonic 1 special stages much either, so I know how you feel about the bonus stages in GG Sonic 1.

Hey. I like Spring Yard Zone... :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Uh, is it normal to run right into a dash pad and suddenly fall as if you were getting hurt?

That just happened to me in Wave Ocean Zone.

The fucking camera in the Tails bit. Oh god.

why is his attack made out of rings.

qq more

Sonic 1 Master System is slightly more fun than the Genesis counterpart.

Well actually, I think they're neck and neck. It depends on my mood.

Really? That's pretty interesting; haven't heard that one before. Yeah, I can see where you're getting that. GG Sonic 1 is pretty decent compared to GG Sonic 2. And at least the platforming is relatively decent. I never liked Genesis Sonic 1 special stages much either, so I know how you feel about the bonus stages in GG Sonic 1.

Hey. I like Spring Yard Zone... :(
I'm not even sure what I dislike about Spring yard Zone these days, probably being springed into giant spike balls or something like that.

Sonic 1 Master System is slightly more fun than the Genesis counterpart.

Well actually, I think they're neck and neck. It depends on my mood.
When you reach Marble Zone and then your mood changes you'll know which game you truly prefer.

Mach speed sections should be banned for life.
See you should've just followed my example and gone with StH MS, instead you chose suffering, you just keep going back to 2006, deep down maybe you like it.

I've actually never played it, not even the demo, maybe tomorrow i'll dare the demo....maybe.

Shizzlee

Don't feel bad. I have over half the achievements in Sonic 06, including a number of optional ones I didn't have to get.

Sometimes, that's just how it goes.

Ok you're much more of a man than I am. I gave up on Sonic 2006.

These videos do highlight a problem I have seen in Black Knight, where you can move obscenely fast but then the level design arbitrarily decides you need to be locked in to something slow and unnecessary for a few minutes. It looks absolutely silly to be traveling at 400mph and then you basically just stop cold and have to stand on the world's slowest boat for a while.

Besides the level design, the worst thing is the control scheme. You want to do anything besides jump or hit the blue fairy things you have to shake that fucking wii remote. This makes sense for attacking enemies I guess, but why the hell do I have to press B then shake the remote to do speed break? I mean, the game doesn't give you a choice in the matter. If you are near an enemy and you press B then you will target that enemy. You can't speed break. If you are not near an enemy then pressing B does nothing. If he's not near shit then why your character doesn't auto-speed break? What the hell man? Not to mention the detection in this game is wonky so speed break didn't come out many times. The levels themselves are very easy and the enemies are pretty much brain-dead, but speed break is the main reason why it took me hours to do this stuff. Most of the time it wouldn't come out causing Sonic to just stand there for a half of second grunting like he's taking a shit.

Also, homing attack still gets on my nerves. Press A to jump then press A again and Sonic will bounce off of the enemy and not do shit. Nah, you have to swing before you touch the enemy or swing after you bounce off of the enemy to make the homing attack come out. Why the hell doesn't he just automatically homing attack from pressing A twice near an enemy? What makes this worse is that Shadow also has a homing attack, but it takes forever to actually start because he spins a different way so you have to do it some other kind of way. What's really bad is that the game doesn't tell you shit about it, which is dumb because it's by far the quickest way to fuck shit up with the least amount of swings possible.

A minor complaint is that I hate it when Caliburn talks to you through the speaker. You kick some ass he says "Well done." You hit a NPC and he screams. During the second and third video he never shut the fuck up. I turned off the speaker after that.

I still can't believe this same team went on to make Colors about a year or two later. The fact that you're apparently getting near perfect scores but it still looks like a schizophrenic mess to me doesn't make me want to try it out for myself either

Yep. You know a game is bad when speed runs/score attacks doesn't look interesting for it.

I guess it served as a (very vague) template for the better Unleashed and far better Colors/Generations and probably helped usher back in a focus on a fantasy-aesthetic for the series, so its existence was somewhat beneficial in the long run.

I never thought of it like that. Still a piece of shit though.

I recognize the music for all the other videos, but I don't recognize it from the third one.

Yeah because the music in the third video is from the actual game lol. The other videos I used the character medals that play certain themes.

qq more

I'm not even sure what I dislike about Spring yard Zone these days, probably being springed into giant spike balls or something like that.

When you reach Marble Zone and then your mood changes you'll know which game you truly prefer.
Spring Yard is a good zone, but it has a bit too many slow sections. Namely those elevator blocks.

And as for Marble Zone.. I like the level until Act 3. What a piece of shit that Act was. And in speaking of terrible acts... fuck Jungle Act 3. So... like I said, they go neck and neck. Labyrinth Zone from MS is the superior Labyrinth Zone for sure, though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The PS3 version and its framerate are amazing.

LORD REGIS IS BEST CHARACTER OF ALL CHARACTERS.

See you should've just followed my example and gone with StH MS, instead you chose suffering, you just keep going back to 2006, deep down maybe you like it.

I've actually never played it, not even the demo, maybe tomorrow i'll dare the demo....maybe.
Play the demo now.

A football game got me into this mess...

Spring Yard is a good zone, but it has a bit too many slow sections. Namely those elevator blocks.

And as for Marble Zone.. I like the level until Act 3. What a piece of shit that Act was. And in speaking of terrible acts... fuck Jungle Act 3. So... like I said, they go neck and neck. Labyrinth Zone from MS is the superior Labyrinth Zone for sure, though.

Oh yes, that's right, the elevator blocks which where oddly brought back in Sonic 4.
Jungle boss is certainly a bit greasy, it's funny that you can bring shields across stages to slightly compensate for the lack of rings in boss stages. I'd like to have been able to properly assess labyrinth but as I said it froze for no reason midway through Act 1.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You know, Egg Cerberus isn't all that horrible outside of the shitty camera.

Also, why is this a thing.

Dave Halverson must have been drunk when he wrote the review and included this as a plus.

Edit: Dusty Desert Sonic isn't so bad, not like Silver's. Just some weird camera shit.

Oh yeah, I've been down that "lose a bet and you have to play through Sonic 06" road before. (See if I ever bet on the Jets again...)

They actually made me play through the whole thing :/

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh yeah, I've been down that "lose a bet and you have to play through Sonic 06" road before. (See if I ever bet on the Jets again...)

They actually made me play through the whole thing :/
Well, I have an exam tomorrow to study for, so I'm not going to beat the whole thing today. That would be pretty mean. :lol

I'll at least do Silver's episode by popular demand. Er, not today, probably.

Fuck. Yes.

Edit:

Fuck. NO.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wish I could check it out, but the SAGE page isn't loading for me...

Within an inch of beating this little asshole and he catches me between a building.

Great.

qq more

Yeah, the site is SUPER slow for whatever reason. Hopefully when it stops being slow, we can enjoy all the fangames :V

(How come games like After/Before the Sequel lacking thumbnails? Wouldn't that have less attention?)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
But White Acropolis's music isn't bad!

I hate these stupid town missions. Because they hand loading screens to me. Lots and lots of loading screens.

I also really hate the hub world. It's so drab. And the camera makes me a little nauseous. I HATE the camera in this game so much.

So wait, what was the consensus on Black Knight (besides sonuc wit sword lol)
Obviously it doesn't really play like a Sonic game, but the videos I've seen don't really scream 06 level bad to me. I'm actually impressed by the presentation and production values I saw. And the music/narrative seem somewhat interesting. I can only assume it controls like shit. Buying it used, yay or nay?

But White Acropolis's music isn't bad!

I hate these stupid town missions. Because they hand loading screens to me. Lots and lots of loading screens.

I also really hate the hub world. It's so drab. And the camera makes me a little nauseous. I HATE the camera in this game so much.

My only excuse to fire up 06 is to listen to the brilliant BGM and hallucinate that I'm playing a better game. Even lumbering around Soleanna isn't so bad to me with it's hugely Venician theme playing. (although it might just be because I'm such a huge fan of Kiki's Delivery Service OST and this one Pokemon Movie track)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Man, that mission music sounds so much like Mega Man music it's unbelievable.

Sonic on a snowboard? What could possibly go wrong?

I'm actually going through this game a lot better than I have before. It's pretty interesting, but maybe it's due to previous experience... doesn't make the game good though.

Edit:

I got stuck on a wall.

I can only assume it controls like shit. Buying it used, yay or nay?
I personally think it doesn't control well at all. Some of the dialogue isn't very good. The camera isn't very good. Analog stick for controlling Sonic isn't very good/Wiimote for the sword isn't good either, and sometimes the swordplay feels like it's too much when you're supposed to try to run through a stage. I never felt like going through a Sonic game was fixed on taking out as many enemies as you could. Rather, I felt Sonic games were about platforming and speeding through, not beating things up.

It's not as bad as Sonic 2006, but it's still not a very good game. Fighting enemies with a not-so-tightly-controlled Sonic and crappy waggle swordplay isn't my idea of a fun Sonic game.

Like, Sonic Team stuffed a lot of things in that game like leaderboards, unlockables, treasures, etc. It's just too bad that stuff is attached to that game.

Shizzlee

So wait, what was the consensus on Black Knight (besides sonuc wit sword lol)
Obviously it doesn't really play like a Sonic game, but the videos I've seen don't really scream 06 level bad to me. I'm actually impressed by the presentation and production values I saw. And the music/narrative seem somewhat interesting. I can only assume it controls like shit. Buying it used, yay or nay?

Controls like shit and is boring as hell. Do not buy used. Don't buy it at all. Listen to the music, watch cutscenes and videos if you must, but don't buy this game. You don't want to play it. The game is not a broken mess like Sonic 2006. It's just very bad. It's Secret Rings gone wrong with a sword.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME.

I think Sonic locked up. Again. And I wasn't even on a wall. Even when I pause, I can still hear the snowboard SFX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom