• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love when you "rescue" that one girl stuck on the roof, and it will cut to the load screen with nothing but the sound of her weeping for about 2 seconds. Even she knows how shit her game is.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Past the last ramp. I forgot how stupid that last ramp was.

Too fast for me to take a pic of it, but one of my deaths was where Sonic ended up locking up a bit towards that last ramp, and then he died, but for some reason he kept snowboarding and collecting rings as if nothing happened. But it counted as a death so I had to start at the last point.

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

qq more

Past the last ramp. I forgot how stupid that last ramp was.

Too fast for me to take a pic of it, but one of my deaths was where Sonic ended up locking up a bit towards that last ramp, and then he died, but for some reason he kept snowboarding and collecting rings as if nothing happened. But it counted as a death so I had to start at the last point.

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Well obviously that's a sign of a great game. Unlike that shitty Colors. Right, Anth0ny?

The highlight of 06 for me was talking to an NPC that was standing pretty close to another NPC. So when the conversation sequence started, it loaded up the animations for both NPCs, so I'm talking to one guy while the other NPC is behind him making the most hilarious fucking hand motions ever.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
In the words of Sega1991,

You mean the switch I just pushed?!

My bf wants me to stop playing shitty games and watch the Simpsons with him (it's the Homer Goes to College episode) so I think I might do that. Will probably be back around 10:30 or so with Crisis City.

But let me finish White Acropolis off first.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I hate snowboarding in White Acropolis. The stupid searchlights section wasn't too too bad.

Dusty Desert continues to be the easiest level in the game. (lol)

OMG Aero

The worst thing about Sonic 2006 is that so many people have taken it upon themselves to play through the game and document it that I now feel like I know that game inside out.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Whoops. My Screenshot control with FRAPS is Q. No wonder I kept exiting out of stuff. :lol

Thank you for letting me curl into a ball while I run real fast. Really like how the backgrounds look. (First playthroughs of levels for Sonic games are really slow cuz I like looking around)

OMG Aero said:
The worst thing about Sonic 2006 is that so many people have taken it upon themselves to play through the game and document it that I now feel like I know that game inside out.
Not gonna do it for the whole thing because taking pics with a camera is a hassle.

Will do it for billiards. Considering I unlocked Silver's story when I beat him, I will most likely go to that instead of going to Crisis City. But I have an exam to study for, so...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Pretty.

UBcEC.png

Edit: getting framerate dips into the 30s in this stage apparently.

The music for all three Relic Retreat acts was really good, btw.

qq more

Pretty.

UBcEC.png

Edit: getting framerate dips into the 30s in this stage apparently.

The music for all three Relic Retreat acts was really good, btw.

Yeah, there's something about Polar Peak that has poor framerate for some people. The framerate might improve if you turn off Water Effects and have the game set to Windowed. Tell me if that works!

Emitan

Yeah, there's something about Polar Peak that has poor framerate for some people. The framerate might improve if you turn off Water Effects and have the game set to Windowed. Tell me if that works!

Water Effects on and Windowed caused the slowdown that's in the video I sent you yesterday.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Turning off the water effects helped out. It's not perfect, but it seems like the thing in Sonic games for the water to affect the framerate. >.>

y9mT6.png

AIR POWER.

Edit: Oh my the second stage:

n8pL3.png
gImp7.png

Before that 50, I was getting 28 or so.

qq more

Yeah, Act 2 is more offensive with the framerate. I have a feeling it has to do with the crazy amount of Tiles. (2000+) Most of the other non-boss levels were around 1200-1500.

EDIT: Estimated Tile Count (all I had to do was right click on a random tile and set it to "Bring To Front" and MMF2 would tell me a number):

SSZ1: 800
SSZ2: 1200
SSZ3: 150
RRZ1: 1700
RRZ2: 1500
RRZ3: 1000
PPZ1: 2000
PPZ2: 2000
PPZ3: 650

Original SSZ1: 1000
Original SSZ2: 400

qq more

I made the first SSZ when I was... like 14. Then I refined it a bit a few years later and added an act 2. It really has not aged well at all though, so it was replaced by a complete redesigned version for that very reason. Though, it's still nice to experience the original every now and then.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I made the first SSZ when I was... like 14. Then I refined it a bit a few years later and added an act 2. It really has not aged well at all though, so it was replaced by a complete redesigned version for that very reason. Though, it's still nice to experience the original every now and then.
Yeah, the new one has better-flowing platforming than the older one. The other one is kind of like ramps everywhere, and it seems more about building speed rather than balancing the platforming with building the speed. I like the new boss fight rather than the old boss fight too.

Going to go through Crisis City and that's it from me until maybe tomorrow since I should study a bit.

Edit:

It sure is.

And man, Sonic 2006 PS3's framerate. Good lord.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
why are people playing sonic 06

i played it so you didn't have to
Result of Canada-US match. I lost the bet because I figured that they had a chance despite a 3-5-43 win-draw-lose ratio against the US. :|

My friend thought Alex Morgan was hot so he bet on the US. He had to play Homefront or Brink (couldn't decide) if he'd lost.

qq more said:
That tornado is carrying a WOAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
You described the first of my deaths perfectly. Right down to the quote.

Kokonoe

Banned
When I first played 2006 it took me many attempts to get past the Crisis City run scene, now I can pass it without fail due to mastering each piece of horrible design.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Fun Fact: There are two scene transitions where Crisis City kills you for holding up! TWO!
I will never understand why they invert your controls. Ever.

Don't bet against the USA!

Unless it's like, Soccer or something.
It was the women's football match. :(

The US women's football team is a pretty strong team, and Canada were the underdogs here given their general history with the US. But they played their hearts out even with some weird stuff in that match, and they're still in contention for the bronze, so I'm happy. Not happy that I have to play this stupid game for the rest of the week, but happy nonetheless.

The US now has to go up against Japan for the gold, and Canada has to go up against France for bronze.

Kokonoe

Banned
Out of all the characters from 2006, I slightly enjoyed playing as Shadow because he's much more powerful and the game becomes a lot easier due to it.

I played 2006 before Shadow which was recently, but I still remember being surprised about the vehicles. They were a little entertaining as well.

TheOGB

Banned
I will never understand why they invert your controls. Ever.

It was the women's football match. :(

The US women's football team is a pretty strong team, and Canada were the underdogs here given their general history with the US. But they played their hearts out even with some weird stuff in that match, and they're still in contention for the bronze, so I'm happy. Not happy that I have to play this stupid game for the rest of the week, but happy nonetheless.

The US now has to go up against Japan for the gold, and Canada has to go up against France for bronze.
Bet on US Men's Basketball
Never lose

qq more

HEY ARE YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT SONIC FANGAMES?

http://www.tssznews.com/2012/08/07/sage-2012-review-slew-1/

BECAUSE I WROTE ABOUT SOME AND WILL PROBABLY CONTINUE TO WRITE ABOUT THEM EVERY DAY UNTIL ROUGHLY FRIDAY
I hear many mixed things about Sonic Game Land. It has so many votes as "best fangame" of this year's SAGE. But every time I see it... it looks kind of eh :/

TEA (The Emerald's Awakening), looks pretty interesting out of the bunch you've just reviewed.

The blokes at #srb2fun seem to adore mocking Sonic Run 3, if it means anything. I'm interested in checking it out, at any rate.

What does #srb2fun think of Emerald Ties? :D :d :D

What does #srb2fun think of Emerald Ties? :D :d :D
I'll ask, next time I get a chance. Kind of at work right now, sorry.

At least one person liked Freedom Planet. I kind of want to check that out, myself - it looks like somebody took the shitty concept of a game centered around fan characters, and yet somehow made an awesome game out of it.

Sorry for the double post, but didn't really feel like editing this in for it to go unnoticed.

Anyway, you asked, so here's what I've got so far:

[22:22:26] <MrMystery> [22:15] <MrMystery> sonic falls like freaking lead, you can't reconfigure the dumb control map, and it's either tiny 1:1 windowed or fullscreen, nothing inbetween
[22:23:01] <MrMystery> I also don't like the new music but those are the chief concerns
[22:24:34] <MrMystery> the speed up/invincible jingles are particularly screechy

[22:43:16] <SonicX8000> Aww... only
2 Zones
[22:44:08] <SonicX8000> Oh well..., the jumping kinda felt weird like MrMystery said
[22:45:11] <SonicX8000> Not really bothered by the small screen size, really, although it was slow at times. *For me only being that I have a crap PC, but it's playable.*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom