• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOGB

Banned
Maaaaaaagic
Mooooooments
Fav'd that video years ago *nostalgic sigh*

Shadows generations boss fight was a bit badly planned, taking a slight detour route was pointless and ALWAYS BOOST ALWAYS WIN was a bit too simple and straight forward, I know it was based on the SA2 shadow boss run but at least the SA2 version had some thought behind it.
Yeah, I do wish it was more like Silver's battle with some attacks to dodge throughout, because without it, it is BOOST UNTIL YOU WIN

I just got into a lengthy argument with people about why this site exists. Their assertion? "This game is so OLD, why should anyone care?" "Why do I need this FAQ? GameFAQs exists." "If I need a guide with pictures, that's what YouTube's for."

Jesus. No appreciation for old-time guide-making, clearly.

Also one assertion of "this thing is too wordy and detailed and I hate it because of this". Can't argue that it's not verbose, yes, but since I generally only look at the images anyway...

qq more

I just got into a lengthy argument with people about why this site exists. Their assertion? "This game is so OLD, why should anyone care?" "Why do I need this FAQ? GameFAQs exists." "If I need a guide with pictures, that's what YouTube's for."

Jesus. No appreciation for old-time guide-making, clearly.

Also one assertion of "this thing is too wordy and detailed and I hate it because of this". Can't argue that it's not verbose, yes, but since I generally only look at the images anyway...

Why the fuck would anyone use Youtube for guides over detailed map guides? What a bunch of morons... honestly.

GameFAQs has seen a big population drop in the past few years. People just don't like text guides anymore when you go on YouTube or the game's Wiki or just google an answer real quick.

Me, I still love looking at guides, sometimes for the great visuals, sometimes for the great insights I might have missed playing the game, sometimes they're just funny as hell. I have half a mind to pick up the Halo 4 LE hardcover guide even though I'm already spending a hundred bucks on the LE version of the game. 400 pages, wheeeee

51OJYdySeFL._SS500_.jpg

Anth0ny

I used to collect and read the fuck out of Nintendo Power Players Guides back in the day. Sometimes I wouldn't even own the game and the guide would sell me on it.

I still have a great appreciation for that kind of stuff. Youtube or Gamefaqs isn't the same.

I think I had like, three or four different physical strategy guides for Pokemon Crystal. Loved reading through each and every one of them.

A shame that print media's on it's way out...:/

I had a LOT of Nintendo Power strategy guides. I must have worn the Star Fox 64 guide the fuck out, pages were coming out of that thing.

My favorite one was this really beautiful awesome guide for God of War 2. It was the kind of guide that actually made you appreciate the game more just because the guide was so good(and the game is REALLY damn good regardless).

I loved those Nintendo Power guides. They were so good. I wore out the Super Mario World guide and now it's lost in the aether. I learned so much cool shit from it though. I even got guides for games I didn't own.

I'm so glad I found other people who read guides for games they haven't even played. I felt like the biggest weirdo for awhile, but in a strange way that makes a kind of sense that doesn't, it was like experiencing the game through somebody else's eyes.

qq more

I remember when I got SA2B, I also happen to get the strategy guide... that was ALSO a Sonic Advance strategy guide. I remember constantly reading that guide despite not owning the game til a year or so later. But man, I remember going "Oh my god, it's like a sequel to the Genesis games! I want it!"

I still have it but some pages are missing for some reason, along with the front cover. :/

Emitan

I remember when I got SA2B, I also happen to get the strategy guide... that was ALSO a Sonic Advance strategy guide. I remember constantly reading that guide despite not owning the game til a year or so later. But man, I remember going "Oh my god, it's like a sequel to the Genesis games! I want it!"

I still have it but some pages are missing for some reason, along with the front cover. :/

I can't find mine. It got lost when I moved :(

Anth0ny

I STILL HAVE THAT. One of my favorite guides of all time. It also sold me on Sonic Advance. It had a huge SA2B poster too ^_^

Sciz

I loved those Nintendo Power guides. They were so good. I wore out the Super Mario World guide and now it's lost in the aether. I learned so much cool shit from it though.

Mario Mania was spectacular. Guide, collection of series trivia, and Miyamoto interview? Yes please.

Holy shit, I still have that guide. Cover's gone, and a good portion of the pages from the Sonic Advance side are missing, but I still have it. That was a really well put together guide.

I think I have the SADX guide, too. Was pretty useful for those extra missions.

qq more

I loved how detail the guide was. I'm sure as hell gonna use it whenever I replay SA2B. Maybe I should be a masochist and try to A Rank the entire game

...or not.

Still have it too. That was a great guide, up there with the Ocarina of Time guide by Versus Books. Damn Business Scrubs! Made me buy Sonic Advance if that means anything.

qq more

...Shenmue, Monster Hunter, Mega Man, Metal Gear and now Persona...

Do you guys think Sega is gonna make a dumb social Sonic game soon? :l

Emitan

Are you saying you wouldn't play a Sonic social game? You can hang out with other... Sonic... fans.....

OH NOOOOOOOO

qq more

Are you saying you wouldn't play a Sonic social game? You can hang out with other... Sonic... fans.....

OH NOOOOOOOO

Hey maybe when you face the time eater, all of your shitty actual friends would shout out "THAT LOOKS LIKE A HOMING SHOT!" endlessly! :V

Rlan

Modern Sonic already is a perfect template for a Temple run style game.

Behind Sonic -- jump, slide, double jump to home attack, quick step left and right.

Side Sonic -- boost, jump, homing attack.

The recent Pitfall game showed that really well with both from-behind and side stuff.

Modern Sonic already is a perfect template for a Temple run style game.

Behind Sonic -- jump, slide, double jump to home attack, quick step left and right.

Side Sonic -- boost, jump, homing attack.

The recent Pitfall game showed that really well with both from-behind and side stuff.

I'd almost think you were biting my style but I think you've said this on more than one occasion. :p

PERHAPS IT IS I WHO IS THE STYLE-BITER

Ugh, I wish we weren't left with Racing and 4-II as the only games this year...
Actually, I don't mind. It means that whatever's coming next, they're actually taking their time with it instead of rushing out an obvious beta. That's what gets us the Colorses and Generationses of the series, instead of the Heroeses and 2K6s.

Some platforming series go years without releases, you should be happy Sonic casts quite a large net over all consoles and handhelds though it is of varying quality.
I wouldn't mind another Sonic platformer this year to wash away the taste of Episode 2 but I can accept it, plus Transformed looks pretty sweet.

Plus guys we get a barely enhanced port of SA2, I'm sure Sega saw the fan reaction to that announcement and figured "that oughta hold the little SOBs".

BlackJace

Actually, I don't mind. It means that whatever's coming next, they're actually taking their time with it instead of rushing out an obvious beta. That's what gets us the Colorses and Generationses of the series, instead of the Heroeses and 2K6s.

I guess. But at least give as a dirty handheld outing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom