• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh you guys.

So, Beef, are you ready for Lazy Days; Livin' in Paradise?

Ugh, I wish we weren't left with Racing and 4-II as the only games this year...
In a way, I feel similar to you. But on the other hand, I'm kind of glad we're not getting mainline games every year. These things take time, generally, and it's better that we don't get something akin to mainline franchise fatigue.

Jeez guys, I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread. Oh well, Live and Learn.

With their posting of the Death Egg and Doomsday zones, Zone: 0 is now complete, making it one of the most comprehensive level guides on the internet for the Mega Drive Sonic games.
Man, I remember looking at one of the Hydrocity maps there ages ago and then immediately regretting it. One of the things I love about the Genesis games is that I've played through them loads of times but I still don't know the stage layouts off by heart, so they still feel sorta fresh when I play.

qq more

One of the things I love about the genesis Sonic games is that there's always a bunch of paths you've yet to explore, even after all of these years.

No, no, he's fine. It's good to Open Your Heart. Bottled up emotions are terrible.
I suppose you're right. I mean, I wasted some posts in here on my ordering a Sega CD, so I'd be hypocritical to not let Beef blog similarly. Do me a favor, mentally take that above post and Throw It All Away.

(btw song titles are supposed to use quotation marks, not italics [/style nazi])

Great, now i'm poring over that Zone 0 information once more, I love the zone locations of Sonic 3 by itself in particular, lacking in overall number but it's oh so good, I remember when I first found that other upper route that Sonic can take near the start of Hydrocity Zone act 1 last year and felt as if i'd stumbled upon some huge secret despite the fact that really it was nothing of the sort.
S3&K is like a game where I discover something new in every run through, I now never leave the upper exterior section of Ice Cap Act 2 if I can help it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wait, people were hating on Zone:0? I think that site is amazing! Love the writeups, love how much time and effort into making the maps... The amount of work and effort they put into the stuff is quite phenomenal.

Mind you, I like looking for stuff myself, but it's nice to see that even though I explore a lot, I've probably missed some stuff along the way.

A Huge Battleship said:
Jeez guys, I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread.
We're saner than this... most of the time. :p

So has anyone ever lived to tell the tale after stealing someone else's ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL?
Do you dare to test such a challenge, here's a list of original characters for you to swipe and we can see who comes after your very soul.

Nocturn the Owl
Professor the Beef
Dark the Schala
Shadow the Hog....hang on a sec
Black the Jace
Viewtiful the Jolly Chimp
??? the OGB
Sc the iz
Seven the Force
H0ny the Ant
More the QQuetzal
Billie the Chu (Sonichu eat your heart out)
Blaze the Hedgehog...hmmm
And I think there's more but i'll stop.

Yeah anyway Astro the Sanity, steal these original creations at your peril. The first guy even has his own theme music, it's totally original content and not stolen from Sonic 3 and then butchered.

This is the pinnacle of awful humour

BlackJace

In a way, I feel similar to you. But on the other hand, I'm kind of glad we're not getting mainline games every year. These things take time, generally, and it's better that we don't get something akin to mainline franchise fatigue.

Well, most people aren't exactly ecstatic to see a new Sonic game, so I don't think they'd be shouting franchise fatigue/milk.

I will use this. Zero and all.

Can you imagine an Ant tied to the Sonic template? actually we already have a bee so I guess it's not as out there as I initially thought.

Still devouring delicious information about Sonic 3 & Knuckles from Zone 0 and by the gods I've found something wonderful, I can avoid the section of Death Egg Act 2 with the upside down conveyor belt lift littered with spikes and missiles where upon death puts you back at a ringless checkpoint right before it, that bit and the following big tilt bridge with the incredibly irksome missile pod placement are my most feared sections of the game, knowing I can at least skip one is music to my ears.
Granted the other route is longer and has like 2 of those inverted control conveyor lifts but oh well, funny how it joins back up with the other route at exactly the point of the big tilt bridge, curses.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm a Schala? :D

8WPyT.gif

TheOGB

Banned
Do you dare to test such a challenge, here's a list of original characters for you to swipe and we can see who comes after your very soul.

Nocturn the Owl
Professor the Beef
Dark the Schala
Shadow the Hog....hang on a sec
Black the Jace
Viewtiful the Jolly Chimp
??? the OGB
Sc the iz
Seven the Force
H0ny the Ant
More the QQuetzal
Billie the Chu (Sonichu eat your heart out)
Blaze the Hedgehog...hmmm
And I think there's more but i'll stop.

Yeah anyway Astro the Sanity, steal these original creations at your peril. The first guy even has his own theme music, it's totally original content and not stolen from Sonic 3 and then butchered.

This is the pinnacle of awful humour
OG the B

Reported for racism, enjoy your ban, good sir
*fucking dead*
I must have been laughing at this for 15 minutes

qq more

I don't mind it. Even though I haven't played Mazuri in Unleashed HD, I still think it's nice to see some creative liberty put into this. I kind of hope they make original acts for Classic Sonic. Not a fan of making him play in 3D stages.

Heh Heh Heh.

I was with my 2-year old cousin recently and I asked her:

Which is better? Sonic 06 or Sonic Unleashed?.

She picks the latter.

Then I ask her if SA1 is better than SA2. She picks SA2.

I have a feeling she will make the right decisions in her future.

BlackJace

Heh Heh Heh.

She picks the latter.

I find that SA1 is superior to the sequel.

qq more

Heh Heh Heh.

She picks the latter.

You sure? SA2 is where the fandom goes really wrong.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
^I like that pic of Iizuka better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbVpdXQj0wM

The Sonic Unleashed to Generations porting team is starting to make bigger changes to their ported levels

Not sure if I agree with this
Is it because you can easily blitz through the level with Super Sonic with little challenge whatsoever in terms of busting your way through robots?

If that's the case, I kinda agree.

Heh Heh Heh.

She picks the latter.

Good for her re: Unleashed. What did she like about it, though?

I don't mind it. Even though I haven't played Mazuri in Unleashed HD, I still think it's nice to see some creative liberty put into this. I kind of hope they make original acts for Classic Sonic. Not a fan of making him play in 3D stages.

Don't see anything wrong with that stage.

^I like that pic of Iizuka better.

Is it because you can easily blitz through the level with Super Sonic with little challenge whatsoever in terms of busting your way through robots?

If that's the case, I kinda agree.

In particular there's a part right before the goal ring... in Unleashed, it was a QTE that, if you succeeded, you were provided a shortcut to the goal ring. If you failed, you were sent down a short grind rail and a series of springs that added an extra 2-3 seconds to your time.

That's been replaced here with a weird platforming section out of nowhere with swinging platforms.

Most of the Egg Fighters have also been replaced with tribal-reskinned versions of the Miner Egg Robos from Planet Wisp, meaning slightly different attack patterns. There's also a few places where it looks like boost pads have been removed for some reason.

It's not the end of the world, just... ehhhhh.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
In particular there's a part right before the goal ring... in Unleashed, it was a QTE that, if you succeeded, you were provided a shortcut to the goal ring. If you failed, you were sent down a short grind rail and a series of springs that added an extra 2-3 seconds to your time.

That's been replaced here with a weird platforming section out of nowhere with swinging platforms.

Most of the Egg Fighters have also been replaced with tribal-reskinned versions of the Miner Egg Robos from Planet Wisp, meaning slightly different attack patterns. There's also a few places where it looks like boost pads have been removed for some reason.

Maybe it's because in Generations, the thingies that initiated the QTE in Unleashed don't initiate a QTE at all so they had to compensate for it somehow? I dunno. Unless they found their way around it before in Dragon Road and Windmill Isle.

I'm not sure, but doesn't Unleashed Sonic move differently than Generations Sonic (not in drifting because we know that drifting's better in Generations) in terms of speed and adjustments? Not just in controls, mind you...

Have they said why they've made changes to the level design somewhat anywhere? (probably Retro...).

Mr Swine

Banned
So guys, which variant/design of Eggman Egg-O-Matic (or Eggmobile) is your favorite? Is the last one he has used in Generations, Colors and Unleashed the best one in terms of design, speed and comfort ( lol ) compared to the older design he has used in the past. Or is the older ones ( Sonic 1/2 and Sonic 3 ) the best?

Replacing the QTE was probably since there is no real equivalent in Generations. You hit a trick ramp, you do a few tricks and move on. There's no risk or reward.

So guys, which variant/design of Eggman Egg-O-Matic (or Eggmobile) is your favorite? Is the last one he has used in Generations, Colors and Unleashed the best one in terms of design, speed and comfort ( lol ) compared to the older design he has used in the past. Or is the older ones ( Sonic 1/2 and Sonic 3 ) the best?
But the Egg Mobile in the three Genesis games are fairly different from one another. Heck, he doesn't even have a standard one in Sonic CD; the one he escapes in after Collision Chaos and Tidal Tempest doesn't look like the one from Stardust Speedway, he just uses a jetpack in Palmtree Panic, runs on foot from Quartz Quadrant and Wacky Workbench, and just kinda goes off in the spherical machine he fought in from Metallic Madness.

Personally, the Sonic [1] one is the most iconic to me - if only because it's the only one I know the most details of from memory.

Pietepiet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbVpdXQj0wM

The Sonic Unleashed to Generations porting team is starting to make bigger changes to their ported levels

Not sure if I agree with this

I love it. I've played those stages a thousand times in Unleashed anyway, so getting a fresh version is great for me.

[EDIT] There seems to be a zipline above the swinging platforms in this Generations version. Catching it = shortcut. Missing it = platforms that take longer. Same shortcut idea, different execution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom