• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a moment there I was straining to remember Other-M and was kind of nodding my head going "Yes, yes, that's right."

Because as I remember, the story of Ian Flynn's "Other-M" involved an accident that saw Sonic's consciousness cross dimensions where he ended up in the body of another Sonic the Hedgehog who was largely regarded as a coward and possibly even a traitor by the current Freedom Fighters. A major story beat was Sonic proving himself worthy to a heavily-battle-scarred Bean, the leader of that dimension's FF.

The main villain of that dimension was... Knuckles, I think? Under the moniker of "The Guardian", who had a totalitarian rule across Mobius. "Miles" and Sally ran his hit squad, if I recall correctly.

Edit: Y'all better not be hatin' on DocFuture
Well, I was just making a Metroid joke, but if it actually applies, that just makes it funnier.

qq more

Man, have you guys been in the leaked Sonic 4-2 thread?

It's nothing but a bitch fest. Some of the complaints are nonsensical. And once again people ignore the fact that it was an early beta.

It's an improvement over Ep 1 but certain levels seriously fails to impress. White Park Act 2 is the laziest level I've ever seen from Dimps.

Sciz

Well, I was just making a Metroid joke, but if it actually applies, that just makes it funnier.

In broad strokes, the comparison isn't entirely without merit. Other M was weird, and suffice it to say that his writing has gotten a lot better under the shackles of doing it for a paycheck.

TheOGB

Banned
Yeah, Dimps doesn't suck when under the right circumstances.

Sonic is almost never a good circumstance.

In it, former badass Sonic the Hedgehog turns into a giant wimp, reveals he secretly needs to be given orders by Princess Sally, remembers a mysterious military dude who we've never seen before, acts out all his lines in the flattest possible fashion, and obsesses over the baby the baby the baby the baby the baby.
I think at least these two have happened once

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wait, they did SNK vs Capcom too?! Dimps should really just stick with fighting games
Does Tales of the Tempest count as a fighting game?

Because the battle system was utterly disappointing. Tempest was pretty bad; a Tales game I'd rank pretty low along with Tales of VS. It made me feel a little bitter towards Dimps since the battle system wasn't what I'd envisioned it to be at all (ex: a 3D version of Rebirth's).

Man, have you guys been in the leaked Sonic 4-2 thread?

It's nothing but a bitch fest. Some of the complaints are nonsensical. And once again people ignore the fact that it was an early beta.
Eh, I still want to try it out, even if a lot of it doesn't seem to be to my liking so far. If I could play a ton of クソゲー, I don't think I'll hate playing Sonic 4 since it isn't... well, Episode 2 seems more competent than Episode 1.

I've only read part of that arc. I think that was Flynn cleaning up some future timeline stuff Ken left behind. Couldn't hurt.
Not very good? Universe is fantas-oh.

Universe is generally a great series that takes what makes the comics fun and distills it into four-issue chunks focusing on various side characters.

This arc is its major black mark.

The various Mobius X Years Later arcs have always been a colossal but inexplicably popular waste of everyone's time. It's a fanfic-grade concept that's virtually noncanon and largely revolves around derailing or marginalizing the main cast. This particular instance features what is referred to in-book as "Perfect Tikhaos", and I will let you draw your own horrified conclusions from there. The whole thing is, in a word, dumb. The best thing I can say about it is that it is at least better than the interminable dreck that was Pender's original run with the concept.

Get anything else from the series. Anything at all. Even the Journey to the East arc and the one that's a loose knockoff of Ian's old Other M fancomic are more worthwhile.
@Schala- I'm not a big fan of the Alt. Future Mobius story arcs, but they're good in their own way IMO. I personally liked 30 Years Later, not to mention that
Shadow's a villain in it and I like how he's handled
Thanks for the info, guys! :D

I think I'll sit on it for a little bit and see if I want it or not. Knowing me, curiosity will get the best of me and I probably will end up reading it some way or another (just like with Sonic Chronicles). I've hinted that I wanted the Legacy book, any of the earlier archives, or an IOU for the Sonic Universe Knuckles thing that's coming out a few months from now, so we'll see what happens.

"Perfect Tikhaos"
What.

Aw, the RunButton guys totally disabled all means to contact them. I was gonna ask them a thing regarding their 20 years of Sonic LP. Probably wasn't worth asking about anyway, though.

Tizoc

It'll make sense when you read that Sonic Universe book...I had no problem with it myself.
...but yeah Knuckles' Sonic Universe arc is good and it has my fav. villain from the comics, Finitivus.

Overall the Archie Sonic comic is great, and I have personally enjoyed it ever since I started reading it.

Kokonoe

Banned
Looks like it's going to be 15$ again.

*edit*

I'm currently trying to beat Sonic Unleashed as I feel it's something I have to do (like 2006). I started playing the 360 version several months before Sonic Generations came out and ended up stopping due to the medal collecting + werehog stages.
After popping in the game once every few months to get a medal or two, I finally obtained enough medals to do Phoenix + Dragon Road. The werehog levels are very tedious as everyone knows, and it's rather tiresome putting up with them, but it's not the worst thing in the world.

I have to say though, I really like the day time desert level's design. It's quite entertaining.

Can you not just ask him on Twitter? What did you want to ask?
Well, I hesitate to say because it always feels a little embarrassing, but... I was gonna ask if they were going to look at fangames, basically. I realize they probably have little interest in that, but that was kind of a big thing for me at least growing up. There's equal opportunities for things to poke fun at and to be pleasantly surprised by. The tentative list I had drummed up in my Youtube PM was:

Sonic: Before the Sequel
Sonic Nebulous
Sonic Classic
Sonic Fusion
Sonic Arena: The Lost Chapters
Sonic Axiom
Tails' Nightmare 2

And finishing off by pointing out Baddog's Sonic 2006 2D demake and my own.

What do you guys think about "Eggman Hates Furries"? I thought it was a really interesting take on Sonic's gameplay with really creative bosses, and an oddball soundtrack. It's also extremely surreal feeling.

Here's a little taste for those that haven't seen it.

TheOGB

Banned
What do you guys think about "Eggman Hates Furries"? I thought it was a really interesting take on Sonic's gameplay with really creative bosses, and an oddball soundtrack. It's also extremely surreal feeling.

Here's a little taste for those that haven't seen it.
Ah, I remember that. Never played it before, but I've seen this video.

Sciz

Sky Deck music

discuss

dem organ riffs

Asteroid Coaster channeled Sky Deck more than a little bit, and it's probably no coincidence that it's one of the best straight rock themes the series has had in a long time.

It's one of the ones I picked for Senoue's part in the music section for a reason. If he shifted his generic rock style back to something resembling it, I'd probably complain about him a lot less.

qq more

I swear to god, I forgot how good SA1's track was. I want to replay that game again someday.

Maybe I should start my Sonic marathon soon.

qq more

Was looking up some Sonic information on Google and I found this.

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

:|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I dun like Shadow. xD
MephilesTheDark posted 1 year ago
HOW THE HELL DO YOU NOT LIKE SHADOW?!?!?!?!
shadowcharmer posted 1 year ago
HHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!!!!????!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
shadowcharmer posted 1 year ago
>:|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Looking at the preview for this month's issue of Sonic, the supposed "jumping-on point" issue.

There is... a lot of text and speech bubbles and "*****See Issue XYZ".

I get they're trying to catch people up, but, uh, wow. Doesn't help that they seem to be experimenting with panel layouts a little more, making all the text feel even bigger.

qq more

So I started on a Sonic fangame called Sonic Axiom. It's a nice little fan game while nothing spectacular. The special stages are ass though and I don't understand the choppy animations for some sprites (it isn't the framerate) :l

I really like the level backgrounds, even though a lot of it are remix of various genesis backgrounds, but they are still well made.

So I started on a Sonic fangame called Sonic Axiom. It's a nice little fan game while nothing spectacular. The special stages are ass though and I don't understand the choppy animations for some sprites (it isn't the framerate) :l

I really like the level backgrounds, even though a lot of it are remix of various genesis backgrounds, but they are still well made.

Yeah, Sonic Axiom gets really close to being completely incredible but there's lots of weird little things it gets hung up on. Out of all the games I listed, I'd probably recommend Sonic: Before The Sequel the most.

Sciz

Looking at the preview for this month's issue of Sonic, the supposed "jumping-on point" issue.

There is... a lot of text and speech bubbles and "*****See Issue XYZ".

I get they're trying to catch people up, but, uh, wow. Doesn't help that they seem to be experimenting with panel layouts a little more, making all the text feel even bigger.

Oh good, Orbot and Cubot managed to stick around past the Universe arc. And... a Scourge flashback. Interesting. And Rotor's old outfit!

But yeah, as much as they keep trying to provide new points for people to get into the series, Ian's writing simply leans far too heavily on past continuity for there to ever be a clean break. This one, at least, seems to be solidifying a new status quo for a while.

Heh, that flashback....
They seriously setting up a Killing Joke here?
Wait,
"The Killing Joke"
? So
Amy gets shot through the spine, paralyzed from the waist down, and then becomes a computer wizard and helps Sonic under the guise of "Oracle"
?

Ooh, ooh!

Suggest Gaiden! :D

...On second thought, I don't want to receive death threats from Youtube viewers, nevermind.

My cousin hogged the family computer for an entire day, just so he could download SA Gaiden on our shitty 56k Dial-Up connection, and I remember him flipping the fuck out when it turned out to be a hoax.

Granted, I got a bit of entertainment out of his rage, so I guess it wasn't all for naught.

My cousin hogged the family computer for an entire day, just so he could download SA Gaiden on our shitty 56k Dial-Up connection, and I remember him flipping the fuck out when it turned out to be a hoax.

Granted, I got a bit of entertainment out of his rage, so I guess it wasn't all for naught.

I'm surprised I even got three replies to that. I didn't think it had gone that far.

And I uploaded that over shitty 24.6k dial-up, several times to get it to finish!

I wish I still had the source files, I wanted to make a "DX" version at one point. But I lost all but the earliest stuff to a hard drive crash. I tried to rebuild it, but I couldn't get some things right, like Eggman's exhaust flame.

ShadiWulf

(laughter) i agree, that one has me in stitches too. ;p but that's off topic, were supposed to be talking about Sonic and Iizuka-san

Emitan

"Stopping used games will stop piracy"

mauSJ.gif

RobbieNick

LOL, Shadi ol' buddy, you stepped in it this time. XD

Nintendo fans pirate 3rd party games and buy Nintendo games.

That's an insane theory with no proof behind it. Also, Just Dance, Kuma and the Sonic games do very well on the system.

this is why Crytek won't support the Wii u unless there is a system that blocks used games.

Yes, because used game STOP piracy instead of encouraging it. Right?

this is why 3rd parties don't support Nintendo consoles.

No, 3rd parties don't support the Wii because....

A.) It's a last-gen system in the current generation and they want to focus on the latest and greatest .

B.) Most games they DO bring out, they don't usually put their top developers on. There are some exceptions like Xenoblade, Monster Hunter 3 and Sonic Colors. Just look at any multi-console game that had a Wii version made. It's usually the worst version done by small developers on the cheap.

C.) The Wii tends to cater to a mostly casual crowd and not the enthusiast (I refuse to use the term "hardcore") gamer. This is why games such as "Just Dance", "Zuma" and "Insert Kids licensed property here" are bigger hits on the system.

I'm afraid I don't see a piracy = used games connection myself, but I admit there was a lot of... hearsay I guess?... of people casually describing Wii piracy, even if they just meant well and were "trying out a title to buy later," sometimes they don't get around to it, or money suddenly gets tighter... it was just way too easy to pirate Wii software, to my understanding.

I doubt that'll be a Wii U problem, at least as blatantly as it was an issue on the Wii.

Baconbitz

Banned
So, I have been playing triple trouble on my 3DS and (even though it's not saying much) it's the "easiest" of the older 2D sonic games.

qq more

Yeah, Sonic Axiom gets really close to being completely incredible but there's lots of weird little things it gets hung up on. Out of all the games I listed, I'd probably recommend Sonic: Before The Sequel the most.

I played that one to the end. I felt the game overstayed its welcome sometimes. 12 full length zones with 3 acts (plus a boss act) each... But I think the real problem about it is that the majority of the first half of the game felt kind of dull. Doesn't really help every stage are stretched to 4 acts (including boss fights). The game never really impressed me until the later half of the game. It's a nice game overall, I just think it could of have been shorter and made the early levels more interesting.

After I'm done with Axiom I might finish Sonic Classic. That one is probably the best out of the three.

EDIT: @Baconbits:

Sonic Chaos is MUCH easier. Trust me lol

EDIT2: Pet peeve with Sonic fan games. I HATE HATEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE how the spindash rev sounds overlaps. It annoys my ears to no end and no one even bothers fixing that. It's seriously isn't hard people:

In the same condition:
>Stop sample spindashrev
>Play sample spindashrev

NOT HARD, PEOPLE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom