• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Source? Episode II had to cost more to make, and that combined with Sega anticipating a fallout from Episode I could be why III is a question mark.

http://www.tssznews.com/2012/05/18/s4e2-for-ios-selling-poorly-despite-better-reviews/

It is apparently not doing terribly on XBLA (4th best selling for its release week), but charting growth is difficult because Microsoft never provides any specific sales figures. So while "4th place on release week" sounds decent, there's no barometer for how it is stacking up to games in 3rd or 5th.

ezodagrom

One thing I didn't know about Sonic Adventure, in the "Watch out! You're gonna crash! Ahhh!" part, Sonic opens his mouth even more if the voices are in Japanese, like this:

5684DE0E9D4DEEBA184759C9ADEF77F5FABB828A

Haha.

One thing I didn't know about Sonic Adventure, in the "Watch out! You're gonna crash! Ahhh!" part, Sonic opens his mouth even more if the voices are in Japanese, like this:

Haha.
Wait, you mean they did change the lip-syncing between the language tracks? Because, wow, the English one never synced with the voice-acting at all.

EuroMIX

I imagine the dropoff between Episode 1 and Episode 2 has a lot less to do with there not being a Wii version and a lot more to do with people learning from their mistakes, unlike Dimps.

Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to say that Wii versions of either would have sold amazingly well, because it's hard to say.

Regarding the Dimps vitriol at the end, I thought that most people said that Episode II was better, at least?

Gravijah

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/540677266034979014/5684DE0E9D4DEEBA184759C9ADEF77F5FABB828A//img]

Haha.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbBbFH9fAg[/url]

I'm actually curious as to how much Wii versions might have contributed to sales of those games.

I dunno how much it'dve helped 4-2 given WiiWare and all, but Colours sold more on Wii/DS than Generations on 3DS/PC/PS3/360. Then again I don't know the breakdown by system so I guess it's possible it was the handheld transition that hurt them, but Wii was the best-selling version of Unleashed despite being the lesser game, so there's something there.

TheOGB

Banned
And just in case anyone is wondering, that game is still pretty good. I really like the end of that game too, running down a space elevator to Earth is a really neat idea for a final level and I love that the final boss is just Sonic fighting against an Eggman mech instead of a Super Sonic space/planet/time thing.
Yeah, Terminal Velocity is by far my favorite finale for a 3D Sonic title. Even if the act before the boss level is a bit gimmicky, I can look past that because the level itself is just cool as hell to look at.
Also, the music is amazing. I've always kind of liked it when Kenichi Tokoi breaks out the brass.
Hell yeah, it is.

The combination of the visuals and the music left me with a grin on my face the whole way through.
Fuck yeah, Terminal Velocity was
and I'm starting to die a little every time I say this, but it was
awesome.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Everyone can relax. Sonic's still safe. Turns out it was BS.
Figured it was pretty bullshit. The French article wasn't... um... to be honest, it was kind of hard to read because some stuff was left vague.

Yeah, Terminal Velocity is by far my favorite finale for a 3D Sonic title. Even if the act before the boss level is a bit gimmicky, I can look past that because the level itself is just cool as hell to look at.
Act 2 blows me away! That entire sequence’s colour palette and background design was excellent.

This is the only time I'm surprised a Sonic game sold badly on Nintendo hardware. Who buys stuff from WiiWare?
Do the majority of Wii owners know that WiiWare exists?

Haha.
I didn’t know they tried to put that much detail into it. But, ah, the English didn't really synch well with the English track at all.

Kokonoe

Banned
The lip out of place was humorous with how off it was, but it's more of a peeve than it is a real issue. At least for me anyways.

Sciz

Regarding the Dimps vitriol at the end, I thought that most people said that Episode II was better, at least?
Better? In some ways. Good enough? No. It's not that they can't make fun games, because they'd actually managed to figure it out on the DS, but they're only any good at that specific flavor of Sonic.

It reminds me a bit of Flagship and how they could make really solid Zelda games, but never managed to get a decent grasp on Kirby at all.

iavi

While we're on the subject, how did Sonic CD do? I recall seeing for a while on the PSN sales charts.

It has over 100,000 installs on the Google Play store, and at least 14k on the Steam leaderboards. Without even the probably nice Xbla, PSN, and IOS #'s, it's done damn well.

TheOGB

Banned
So I've spent hours doing missions for the townspeople and... having fun doing it.

I... I almost want to say I...

Yasmine's entry in the Directory said:
A spirited girl who protects Shamar along with her younger sister, Samia. She can't quite decide on a name for her team. Currently it's the "Pretty Committee to Preserve Peace in Shamar."

Last week it was "Darling Defenders of the Shamaran Sands," while the week before that it was "Full Mettle Shamalchemists!"

Someone really needs to take her comic books away.
:lol :lol That's it, I love Sonic Unleashed.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
:lol :lol That's it, I love Sonic Unleashed.
I think we're siblings for life.

Bros.

Bro-sis.

Whatever.

Billiechu said:
Considering the quality of most games on the system if they know it exists they try to forget!
There're some good things on it! Like...

LostWinds.
Some multiplatform stuff.
The Rebirth games.
Stuff.
Other stuff.

Yeah.

EuroMIX

Better? In some ways. Good enough? No. It's not that they can't make fun games, because they'd actually managed to figure it out on the DS, but they're only any good at that specific flavor of Sonic.

I was purely going by what other people have said since I haven't played it.

It seems to me like Sega probably just went up to Dimps and said "hey you guys made great 2D games on the GBA and DS that sold really well, make us a Sonic 4 because it'll print money" without really considering it properly.

The sad thing is I'm even sure if Sega themselves could create a worthy successor to 3&K anymore.

I always thought a AoSTH-esque series in the Unleashed universe would have been pretty good. Just Sonic and Chip running around helping out the townspeople and beating on Eggman.

TheOGB

Banned
Probably. Take the tone of Colors, put it in that framework, and get better with the comedic timing and they'd have something pretty decent on their hands.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I always thought a AoSTH-esque series in the Unleashed universe would have been pretty good. Just Sonic and Chip running around helping out the townspeople and beating on Eggman.
So... we're saying that Chip is probably a better sidekick than Tails due to how emphasized the Chip friendship was over the Tails friendship in Unleashed?

No no, that's not too bad on its own.

It's that +
BEES.png[IMG]

Usually the red ones.

Fuck Shamar.[/QUOTE]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLGo7SPpX60]Don't forget this every 5 seconds.[/url]

Thinking about it, though, as weird and overdone as Sonic's mouth was in Sonic Adventure, it was waaaay too subdued in SA2. We're talking Clutch Cargo levels of creepiness, here. Those teeth, man.

Unleashed onwards got this part so right.

How come we have multiple Hedgehogs, an Echidna but no Porcupine? seems like an obvious choice to break up the barrage of hedgehogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom