• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Dual Shock 3 - Who's importing?

I just ordered one from that Ebay guy that's been listed here. pretty good deal. I don't feel so bad about it since I'm really only paying like 5 more bucks than it would cost to buy in stores. Plus who knows if we're going to get the white ones here anyway?

mileS

needlesmcgirk said:
Looks like they got a new "satin silver" one coming out on March 6th. Just saw at Play-asia. Sorry if this is old news.

Yea and it kind of makes me angry we can't buy them here yet... Three different colors in Japan, seriously? Theres really no excuse for it not to be here yet.

At least give us a date Sony. Alot of people have been saying "well Sony is waiting for a price drop or a new bundle blah blah blah" NO! that makes no sense because I bet 95% of the people that own PS3's right now just want to buy the damn controller. A DS3 isn't going to sell systems.

I've had it, i'm just going to import from Play-asia, they have a good deal and I'm sick and tired of waiting.

Ephemeris

needlesmcgirk said:
I just ordered one from that Ebay guy that's been listed here. pretty good deal. I don't feel so bad about it since I'm really only paying like 5 more bucks than it would cost to buy in stores. Plus who knows if we're going to get the white ones here anyway?

Likewise. Got mine on the 8th. Though I'm not so sure I should have gotten the white one. It stands out so much :lol :lol

f3niks

jjasper said:
This was the list (I don't know how much it has changed):

LIST OF PS3 TITLES COMPATIBLE WITH DUALSHOCK 3 IN NORTH AMERICA AND EUROPE
As of September 20th, 2007 (in alphabetical order of company name)

Assassin's Creed

Has this title worked for everyone else? It hasn't worked for me at all and I couldn't find any options to turn in on in-game. Help me Gaf, you're my only hope.

Dez

Finally got my DS3. Is there a way to disable the rumble in games? I find I suck at shooters with rumble enabled.

Ephemeris said:
Likewise. Got mine on the 8th. Though I'm not so sure I should have gotten the white one. It stands out so much :lol :lol

Yeah, I'm betting its going to stick out pretty good with my setup too. Besides, its nice to change things up a little.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Rumble is in Resistance? Is it from a patch or it was always in there to begin with?

That's pretty cool. I look forward to being able to buy a rumble controller when they become available over here.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Dr_Cogent said:
Rumble is in Resistance? Is it from a patch or it was always in there to begin with?

That's pretty cool. I look forward to being able to buy a rumble controller when they become available over here.
About 2 patches ago I believe, really good if you ask me.

dralla said:
just ordered the white one off the guy on eBay. used my mom's CC, hope she doesn't mind :]
Better get Kojima over your house ASAP, your mom's gonna assplode!!!

needlesmcgirk said:
Yeah, I'm betting its going to stick out pretty good with my setup too. Besides, its nice to change things up a little.
The Ceramic White is definitely the way to go. That and you can easily distinguish it from your regular SIXAXIS, kinda what drove me to get the white.

Slavik81

f3niks said:
Has this title worked for everyone else? It hasn't worked for me at all and I couldn't find any options to turn in on in-game. Help me Gaf, you're my only hope.
Worked fine for me. Do you have the 2.10 patch?
Have you tried hitting the PS button and going to controller settings?

Johnkers

Dez said:
Finally got my DS3. Is there a way to disable the rumble in games? I find I suck at shooters with rumble enabled.

Hold the PS button and go to controller options. You turn on/off rumble universally for all games there.

Dr_Cogent said:

It got patched in

Dr_Cogent

Banned
That's sweet that it got patched in. Pretty fucking stupid of Sony to have not just caved like MS and Nintendo and paid Immersion like they should of at the start so this wouldn't have even been an issue.

Dr_Cogent said:
That's sweet that it got patched in. Pretty fucking stupid of Sony to have not just caved like MS and Nintendo and paid Immersion like they should of at the start so this wouldn't have even been an issue.

Someone had to try to fight the good fight.

gcubed

finally got it, charged it, played it, loved it

The rumble is... different. Its not earth shattering or anything, but its... different ever so slightly.

And good god, MLB08 is so much easier with rumble trying to located pitches.

Dr_Cogent said:

IIRC, Nintendo still hasn't been sued by Immersion for some reason.

Kittonwy

Banned
gcubed said:
finally got it, charged it, played it, loved it

The rumble is... different. Its not earth shattering or anything, but its... different ever so slightly.

And good god, MLB08 is so much easier with rumble trying to located pitches.

The rumble is a bit sharper for some reason, not heavier, but sharper.

Ephemeris

LiquidMetal14 said:
The Ceramic White is definitely the way to go. That and you can easily distinguish it from your regular SIXAXIS, kinda what drove me to get the white.

If only I didn't keep my black sixaxis put away on a shelf now. Oh well. Other than that, I still love my DS3. :D

f3niks

Slavik81 said:
Worked fine for me. Do you have the 2.10 patch?
Have you tried hitting the PS button and going to controller settings?

I believe that I do have it. The rumble works on the DMC demo, but it wouldn't rumble for Creed. I'll give it another try this weekend.

dralla

ordered one thursday afternoon and it got delivered this morning, fasting shipping I've everhad. now it's time to replay some games. yay

1-D_FTW

Worm_Buffet said:
IIRC, Nintendo still hasn't been sued by Immersion for some reason.

Not to derail the thread (Was just checking to see if there were any rumors of a pack-in in upcoming US models), but there's a very real question as to who was first. If Immersion sued and it was established Nintendo owned the patents, they could sue Immersion out of business. It's not like they don't want that money, they just don't seem willing to play the game of chicken.

Just wanted to report that I'm very pleased with battery life.

I received the DS3 on Feb 5th and charged it fully right when I got it out of the package.

I've been playing games with rumble casually almost every night since and it's still at two bars.

Z3F

Banned
So does the DS3 go on standby when you don't play it for awhile? I really hate that the sixaxis doesn't do that when I just left the PS3 on for downloads.

Z3F said:
So does the DS3 go on standby when you don't play it for awhile? I really hate that the sixaxis doesn't do that when I just left the PS3 on for downloads.

Couldn't say, as I'm in the habit of ensuring it's turned off when I don't use it.

Besides, browsing and downloading is half the reason the remote exists (automatic standby)

Z3F

Banned
Leidenfrost said:
Couldn't say, as I'm in the habit of ensuring it's turned off when I don't use it.

Besides, browsing and downloading is half the reason the remote exists (automatic standby)

I find it hard to navigate the PSN store without an analog stick.

squicken

I bought a white DS3 from ebay. Certainly better than the SIXAXIS, but I still wish the controller was heavier and the rumble stronger (only tested on Motorstorm so far with rumble set to high). I'll certainly keep my eye out for the Nyko Zero or whatever it's called.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
i just got mine from play-asia ( my 3rd controller for my PLAYSTATION®3 ) pic by PLAYSTATION®Eye so sorry about the poor quality
i own sony DSC cam but i don't care about your eyes guys , so sue me or something i don't care

2269385737_a64b3f7012.jpg

DUALSHOCK®3 very fking great controller way better than SIXAXIS™ , i noticed that they changed analogue sticks too

MercuryLS

Banned
Totobeni said:
i just got mine from play-asia ( my 3rd controller for my PLAYSTATION®3 ) pic by PLAYSTATION®Eye so sorry about the poor quality
i own sony DSC cam but i don't care about your eyes guys , so sue me or something i don't care

2269385737_a64b3f7012.jpg

DUALSHOCK®3 very fking great controller way better than SIXAXIS™ , i noticed that they changed analogue sticks too

What's with all the TM tags? Are you scared you're going to get sued by Sony or something?

Man, that guy from ebay doesn't mess around. I purchased on Thursday afternoon and received it on Saturday morning. Awesome to have rumble back by the way. Love this controller.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
yeah just as i thought the analogue sticks on DUALSHOCK®3 bigger and taller than SIXAXIS™'s , i wonder why no one here talks about this .

2274921236_61c3e7ee2b.jpg

Left: DUALSHOCK®3 right: SIXAXIS™

MercuryLS said:
What's with all the TM tags? Are you scared you're going to get sued by Sony® or something?

Fixed

JB1981

squicken said:
I bought a white DS3 from ebay. Certainly better than the SIXAXIS, but I still wish the controller was heavier and the rumble stronger (only tested on Motorstorm so far with rumble set to high). I'll certainly keep my eye out for the Nyko Zero or whatever it's called.
It varies from game to game. Burnout and MLB have very forceful rumble, almost to the point of being too much. That being said, the rumble does not RATTLE the controller like the 360 rumble does. It is like subtle yet forceful. I love the weight too. Feels great.

Kittonwy

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:

Patch, and you can feel the recoil from every shot you've fired.

Kittonwy

Banned
Totobeni said:
yeah just as i thought the analogue sticks on DUALSHOCK®3 bigger and taller than SIXAXIS™'s , i wonder why no one here talks about this .

Fixed

The sticks are slightly longer I think.

Kittonwy

Banned
Z3F said:

It doesn't, I hate when controllers go on standby when I pause and go do something else.

n1n9tean

Banned
squicken said:
STAY the fucking FUCK aWAY from that controller.

I won't go through all the details again (I'll give you the page number of this thread where I originally laid it out). But, listen to this: You know how Nyko marketed it as the first PS3 controller wit rumble and motion controll for the US? Mine didn't have rumble. Much later after launch, they released a statement saying that the initial shipment was a "Limeted Edition" of the controller. Punk ass motherfuckers. I returned mine right away (this was before they released that statement; so, at the time, I was just wondering where the fuck my rumble was).

Let me find the page where I posted my impressions.

EDIT: Okay I found my old post. It actually wasn't in this thread but in another one. Here is the link (I have to type it out myself since I'm on my PS3 right now *frown*).>> http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9434925

There you go. I also made a post of impressions before that one (on the same page); before I actually used the controller to play any games. (I was just excited to finally have something other than the troublesome Sony controller I had been stuck with. You understand). You can read that too if you like. There were some good things about it like the L1 and R1 buttons and the feel of the controller in your hands. But it was overall an example of style-over-substance.

n1n9tean

Banned
Totobeni said:

Fixed

Thank you for posting that! It brings up something very important to me haha.

Okay, since launch I had to deal with two SIXAXIS controllers with shitty analog sticks. I had lost faith in Sony's ability to make a controller with reliable sticks! The first controller which shipped wit my 60GB unit had the problem where the sticks would drift whenever they felt like it. They got real loose and would wobble. The problem got worse and worse and I eventually lost my temper (I have a little problem) and bashed it. I now have a spare rechargable battery pack (yay!). Anyway, I DD call and see if they would replace it but they said since I didn't have the receipt that nothing could be done...unless I wanted to pay $30 to get it fixed (fuck that).

So then I bought another controller (after about a month or two without any controller and just using my PS3 as a web browser and media player with the keyboard and mouse) which worked fine; for a while. After just a matter of months the left stick started giving me problems; it wouldn't (or rarely would) respond to diagonal movement! It was kinda like having a D-pad routed to the analog stick excpet worse (the D-pad would allow for more movement than that stick did). Thankfully, Sony took care of me since I had the receipt. They replaced it free of charge.

Here is basically the highlight; the important part:

I took a look at the package of the new controller and compared it with that of the old one and I noticed a few things. Some little details like the fact that the new one had "PLAYSTATION 3" (in the Spider-Man font) toward the bottom of the package on the front and on the sides whereas the old one did not. The new one had the description as "SIXAXIS wireless controller" where the old one just said "Wireless controller." FINALLY (and most significantly), the new one had the packaging date of 2007; the old one 2006.

I HAVE THE BETTER STICKS on a normal SIXAXIS!!! They are thicker and taller. I am able to confirm that thanks to the picture you posted. But even without knowing that I could immediately tell that they had improved the design. It's not jus my imagination. Beleive me, I know the faults of the original design and they have been fixed. FIrst, the sticks are more firm and responsive; and, they don't have that loose dead-zone which allows for the annoying drifting. The also seem[/] to have a better rubber grip and the texture of the hard, rounded plastic at the base of the sticks seems to be of a finer "grain" (think: sand paper :lol). Lastly, the controller as a whole is more solid and it doesn't creak when you softly twist it. Some of you know exactly what I mean.

So that's it. Now, you know what package to look for if you want the new and improved SIXAXIS (until the Dual Shock 3 is released here in the US). :D

I was beginning t hate analog sticks altogether since I had been dealing with such problems since PS2. I thought about buying the FragFX if not for all the negative reviews. I bought that awful Nyko Zero Wireless controller looking for a solution. But, now I think Sony has finally got them right, though.

Totobeni said:

Fixed

hmm, a 360 under those controllers. I am on to you sir!

Neo Member
Matrix said:
If anyone wants a Dual Shock 3 and doesnt want to order from overseas I would recommend this guy on ebay...

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZomgly88

$49.74 + 9.99 priority shipping

I got mine in 2 days and he ships out of California and it's perfect.

You guys are right this is the fastest shipping I've ever seen!! Ordered on monday morning and got it today!! This guy means business!

Now let's play some games!

RoH

AgentOtaku said:
So yeah, decided to man up and join the party

ordered a White DS3 off of eBay

Same Here, I have just died for the umpteenth time because of my blue tooth freak out and stick drift argg... I hope I receive the same expedient shipping lol

Ryu1999

Preordered a Silver DS3 with a play-asia $5 off coupon from Shouta to go along with the White one I got 2 months ago. Funny that neither of my DS3s will be black; sorta messes up the color scheme :-D

kiUNiT

Dez said:

Yes swap your DS3 with my Sixaxis, I will pay shipping both ways OK?

Top Bottom