• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Dual Shock 3 - Who's importing?

Shins

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
but the analog sticks are indeed a bit looser in the DS3 than in the SIXAXIS.
Is this the general impression? I didn't find a lot of trouble with the SIXAXIS's loosing sticks when switching between the 360 and PS3, but it was on the fringe of being a concern.

Could this be a case of YMMV between different controllers?

cilonen

Seep said:
Any UKers tried YesAsia? would you recommend them.
I needs mah rumble fix.

Can recommend YesAsia - I've used them quite a bit recently. MIne came on the 5th or 6th of Feb - whenever I posted in here about it, and I ordered on the 28th of Jan.

Package actually comes from Croydon, so no import fees to be worried about.

Edit: Further opinions over more games - seems to be a bit better regarding the rumble than I initially felt. Could the motors be in low power whilst it's charging through the USB cord? Doesn't sound feasable to me, maybe I'm getting used to the way it feels.

Seep

cilonen said:
Can recommend YesAsia - I've used them quite a bit recently. MIne came on the 5th or 6th of Feb - whenever I posted in here about it, and I ordered on the 28th of Jan.

Package actually comes from Croydon, so no import fees to be worried about.

Edit: Further opinions over more games - seems to be a bit better regarding the rumble than I initially felt. Could the motors be in low power whilst it's charging through the USB cord? Doesn't sound feasable to me, maybe I'm getting used to the way it feels.
Cheers mate, I'm going to order now.

MoeB

GQman2121 said:
I got tired of having a white controller and a black system, so finally went ahead and sprayed it up in Wii60 White last night.

DSCN0390.jpg

Ctrl+Z

herod

Tieno said:
Because the more natural position of the thumb goes to the d-pad and buttons on the DS3 or to the Thumbsticks on the 360.

If the thumbsticks were not asymmetrical on the 360 then this would make sense, but then you contradict yourself later when trying to justify why they aren't.

The irony is that on a supposedly shooter-heavy system you're going to use that offset right thumbstick almost as much as PS3 users will be using both of theirs, with the added issue of the bumper location being physically awkward.

I really think this argument is silly, precisely because of the asymmetric design, but also because neither location is actually a problem AT ALL.

When are sony planning on releasing these beauties in PAL territories?
My left analog stick just fudge packed itself after a heavy gaming session and I need a new one.. :(

gcubed

Beatbox said:
Thanks. Ordered a white on Tuesday and it was here on Thursday. Feels great so far - only tried PJM, RFOM, Burnout and a minute of SSHD.

that guy must be loving the free advertising, i also ordered from him because i got tired of waiting. :)

IzumiK

Banned
So ummm... not going to search the whole thread for it... but what's the word on the NA release? I only have one PS3 controller and I want another one. Since the DS3 is available, I'd rather get that than a normal Sixaxis. If it's not coming anytime soon to NA, then I will consider importing.

I am really looking forward to the NA release as well. I have so much on Gamestop gift cards that I don't want to spend money on importing, even with as cheap as it is.

From playing CoD4 so much, my sticks "drift" while in game sometimes. They don't seem completely centered either, kind of bumped up towards the corners, showing how often I sprint in certain directions in CoD4. :lol

EDIT: I called Gamestop, Gamespot. oops

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Shins said:
Is this the general impression? I didn't find a lot of trouble with the SIXAXIS's loosing sticks when switching between the 360 and PS3, but it was on the fringe of being a concern.

Could this be a case of YMMV between different controllers?

I'd think so, it is not like I am noticing that much in games though so far...

I am almost taking back what I said about the DS3's weight... sometimes I like the lighter SIXAXIS pad better... again even here for games who make good use of rumble DS3 is a must use if you own one, but do not think you'll never miss the old SIXAXIS unless you really hated the fact it was so much lighter than pads like the Xbox 360 one.

gcubed

Panajev2001a said:
I'd think so, it is not like I am noticing that much in games though so far...

I am almost taking back what I aid about the DS3's weight... sometimes I like the lighter SIXAXIS pad better... again even here for games who make good use of rumble DS3 is a must use if you own one, but do not think you'll never miss the old SIXAXIS unless you really hated the fact it was so much lighter than pads like the Xbox 360 one.

hmmm i was in the minority and really liked the feather light weight of the sixaxis... my ds3 should be here wedensday, so i'll see how it goes. Although rumble in certain games outweighs my liking of the lightweight pad

cilonen said:
I got mine today and I'm really disappointed. Burnout Paradise convinced me to stump up from one, got a good deal on YesAsia, but the controller itself is shit. The vibration is really really weak.

That's not really indicative of the ability of the DS3. The heaviest rumble that game seems capable of producing is about 2/3rds power compared to SSHD and Resistance.

I'm also really pleased by the implementation in Warhawk.

Tieno

herod said:
If the thumbsticks were not asymmetrical on the 360 then this would make sense, but then you contradict yourself later when trying to justify why they aren't.

The irony is that on a supposedly shooter-heavy system you're going to use that offset right thumbstick almost as much as PS3 users will be using both of theirs, with the added issue of the bumper location being physically awkward.

I really think this argument is silly, precisely because of the asymmetric design, but also because neither location is actually a problem AT ALL.
The way the controller is formed and designed makes it so that the way I hold the controller my thumbs feel very naturally going towards the sticks. It's not a 'prolem', it's just a subtle difference which makes the 360 controller feel more comfortable for shooters.

I've been gaming a lot on my PS3 recently, thanks to Burnout and renting some other games on PS3 like COD4 and R&C and it's becoming less and less of an 'issue'. I'd still prefer 360 pad for fps, in part due to stick placement and the thumbsticks themselves, but as you said...it's not a problem and both pads (DS3 and 360) feel very good.

f3niks

I got a white one and a black one two weeks ago. I like the weight on these and the rumble doesn't seem to be as strong as the Dual Shock 2 but I love them all the same.

Kafel

Banned
h3ro said:
I ordered mine from PlayAsia. It supposedly shipped on the 31st. Should I be worried now GAF? (I'm in NY)

Not at all.

By the way Play-Asia was in holidays these last 4-5 days and it's now possible again to be sent the black and white DS3 in 24 hours.

WickedLaharl said:
i ordered a ceramic white one from yesasia using a $5 off coupon. and even though it currently says that it usually takes 7-14 days for it to ship on the product page mine was ready to ship after two days.

quoting myself here to say that it only took a little over a week to receive it once it shipped.

gcubed

solid2snake said:
well GAF, are you buying the white or the black DS3 for your black PS3?

i'll get a black when they have an NA release, i got the white ds3 import to differentiate it. When GAF or the world goes mad about lack of hardware BC eventually, i wouldnt mind selling my 60gb and picking up a new white 40G when it releases. (i have plenty of room and inputs for my old ps2 when i feel the urge to play)

solid2snake said:
well GAF, are you buying the white or the black DS3 for your black PS3?

I'll get a white one. I don't generally get controllers to match the consoles, I like having a variety of different colored controllers. So since there are only 2 colors and the Sixaxis that came with my PS3 is black, that leaves white.

cilonen said:
I got mine today and I'm really disappointed. Burnout Paradise convinced me to stump up from one, got a good deal on YesAsia, but the controller itself is shit. The vibration is really really weak - I was expecting a lot more, also the shoulder triggers are identical in shape to the Sixaxis - I thought they'd altered them - the springs in the triggers might be a bit firmer but that might just be my sixaxis has loosened up. Oddly, the analogue sticks are the other way around - the DS3 sticks are looser than my Sixaxis ones.

Maybe it'll grow on me, but I think I'll try out one of those Nyko ones with the 360-like triggers.

Personally, I like this rumble better, as it's much more refined and 'tighter' to me. I hate the extremely loose feeling of the 360 rumble, especially when it goes into overkill mode.

DS3 Rumble and formfactor + Offset analog sticks + 360 Triggers = a controller that needs to be made.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Think I mentioned it earlier, but white. Having a different colour for the DS3 so that you can see at a glance which controller has rumble is the only sane choice.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
iapetus said:
Think I mentioned it earlier, but white. Having a different colour for the DS3 so that you can see at a glance which controller has rumble is the only sane choice.

Yep, that's why I got the whites.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Matrix said:
If anyone wants a Dual Shock 3 and doesnt want to order from overseas I would recommend this guy on ebay...

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZomgly88

$49.74 + 9.99 priority shipping

I got mine in 2 days and he ships out of California and it's perfect.
AWESOME, thanks. I bet that guy is happy you posted it here.
About to buy a white one from him and post it on another board.

Teknoman said:
Well a usual rule of thumb when it comes to controllers is 1st party or no party. Unless it's made by Hori I guess.
Logitech says hi.

So has anyone ever had a signal dropout on their DS3? I haven't thought about it much (funny how you don't notice when things work), but I don't think I've had a single dropout on my DS3 yet including an entire play-through of DMC4.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
What games even support rumble at this point?

I have a PS3, but I want to hold off on buying another controller until I can get a rumble one here in the states. I don't care to have to import anything at this point.

BeeDog

Dr_Cogent said:

I have a PS3, but I want to hold off on buying another controller until I can get a rumble one here in the states. I don't care to have to import anything at this point.

Isn't it more like "What games don't support rumble at this point?"?

These support it:

Uncharted
Resistance: Fall of Man
Motorstorm
Ratchet & Clank
Devil May Cry 4
Heavenly Sword
Warhawk
Burnout Paradise
Super Stardust HD
Tekken Dark Resurrection
GripShift
Assassin's Creed
PixelJunk Monsters
Gran Turismo 5: Prologue

Doesn't support:

Fight Night Round 3
Call of Duty 4

Have forgotten some shit, this is off the top of my head.

jjasper

Dr_Cogent said:

This was the list (I don't know how much it has changed):

LIST OF PS3 TITLES COMPATIBLE WITH DUALSHOCK 3 IN JAPAN
As of September 20th, 2007 (in alphabetical order of company name)

Vampire Rain -Altered Species-
BIOHAZARD 5
Devil May Cry 4
Dark Sector
Burnout Paradise
FIFA franchise (title name TBD, by EA K.K.)
BUMPY TROT2
Dynasty Warriors 6
Fatal InertiaKOEI Co., Ltd.
GI JOCKEY 4 2007
METAL GEAR ONLINE
METAL GEAR SOLID 4 GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS
IMABIKISOU
Blast Factor
echochrome
Folklore
FORMULA ONE CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION
Go! Sports Ski
Heavenly Sword
MotorStorm
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Resistance: Fall of Men
Super Stardust HD
TOY HOME
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Warhawk

LIST OF PS3 TITLES COMPATIBLE WITH DUALSHOCK 3 IN NORTH AMERICA AND EUROPE
As of September 20th, 2007 (in alphabetical order of company name)

The Darkness
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
Soldier of Fortune
BIOHAZARD 5
Devil May Cry 4
N-Cube
Warbit
Dark Sector
Turok
Highlander
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
Burnout Paradise
FIFA franchise (title name TBD, by EA)
Legendary: The Box Gamecock
To End All Wars Ghostlight
RAGE id Software
WarDevil - Unleash the Beast
Within
Dynasty Warriors 6
Fatal Inertia
METAL GEAR SOLID 4 GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS
Blacksite: Area 51
TNA Wrestling
Unreal Tournament 3
Wheelman
Cops (codename, title name TBD)
Planet One (codename, title name TBD)
Heroes over Europe
Condemned 2
Iron Man
The Club
The Crucible
The Incredible Hulk
Blast Factor
echochrome
Elefunk
Folklore
FORMULA ONE CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION
Go! Sports Ski
Heavenly Sword
High Velocity Bowling
MLB 08: The Show
MotorStorm
NBA 08
PAIN
Rat Race
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Resistance: Fall of Man
Snakeball
SOCOM: Confrontation
Super Stardust HD
TOY HOME
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Warhawk
WipEout HD
GirpShift Sony Online Entertainment
NBA 2K8 Take Two Sports
Destroy All Humans 3
Stuntman Ignition
Assassin's Creed
BEOWULF
HAZE
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas
Prototype
The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

Jim

Pretty much any and every game from December 07 on has had rumble, in all regions... even PSN games like Go! Sports Skydiving have it.

Top Bottom