• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Dual Shock 3 - Who's importing?

ibu

BeeDog said:
Isn't it more like "What games don't support rumble at this point?"?

These support it:

Uncharted
Resistance: Fall of Man
Motorstorm
Ratchet & Clank
Devil May Cry 4
Heavenly Sword
Warhawk
Burnout Paradise
Super Stardust HD
Tekken Dark Resurrection
GripShift
Assassin's Creed
PixelJunk Monsters
Gran Turismo 5: Prologue

Doesn't support:

Fight Night Round 3
Call of Duty 4

Have forgotten some shit, this is off the top of my head.

So these are the games that support Vibration out of the box? I don't have a wireless connection atm thus I can't d/l updates, is there a way I can download PS updates from the net put onto a mem stick then transfer?

-Rogue5-

Just got my DS3 this afternoon. After playing MotorStorm and GT5p demo, I can attest to the awesomeness of its rumble. Based on the rumble of those two games in conjunction with the weight/sturdiness of the controller's build, I think I like it more than 360 controller (just its rumble, not it's design). Unfortunately I like the DS3/rumble so much that it inadvertantly proves how huge Sony f-cked up by not having it at launch...

It'd be sweet if, along with rumble, the analog sticks used some kind of force feedback to simulate resistence when trying to control... For a racing game it'd be rad (more like a wheel) and you could probably pull off some sweet effects for controlling characters and stuff. I guess that'll be in the DS4.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Johnkers said:
Rumbles when you upgrade buildings, maybe when you pick up sutff, I forget. But it works well enough

Also rumbles when boss is approaching. The closer you are to him, the stronger the rumble :D

squicken

n1n9tean said:
STAY the fucking FUCK aWAY from that controller.

I won't go through all the details again (I'll give you the page number of this thread where I originally laid it out). But, listen to this: You know how Nyko marketed it as the first PS3 controller wit rumble and motion controll for the US? Mine didn't have rumble. Much later after launch, they released a statement saying that the initial shipment was a "Limeted Edition" of the controller. Punk ass motherfuckers. I returned mine right away (this was before they released that statement; so, at the time, I was just wondering where the fuck my rumble was).

Let me find the page where I posted my impressions.

EDIT: Okay I found my old post. It actually wasn't in this thread but in another one. Here is the link (I have to type it out myself since I'm on my PS3 right now *frown*).>> http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9434925

There you go. I also made a post of impressions before that one (on the same page); before I actually used the controller to play any games. (I was just excited to finally have something other than the troublesome Sony controller I had been stuck with. You understand). You can read that too if you like. There were some good things about it like the L1 and R1 buttons and the feel of the controller in your hands. But it was overall an example of style-over-substance.

Just saw this page pop up after the most recent bump, and wow that sucks. Thanks for the heads up though. I'll certainly wait for any impressions on that thing before purchasing.

I just really like the 360 controller design. I don't know if I'm just so used to that, but while playing Uncharted, I never really felt like I had mastery of the controls. Using L1/R1 as primary fire is so bizarre for me. But I've been having a blast with Motorstorm. For some reason the SIXAXIS killed my hands, but the DS3 feels great.

JB1981, I have noticed varying degrees of rumble now that I've played more games. I guess I had kind of forgotten how crazy the 360's rumble is. The controller will literally rattle off my table if I set it down and get shot in Halo 3.

Crisis

Banned
Sony announced the Dual Shock 3 on September 19, 2007. It is February 24, 2008 today. That is five months and five days since it was announced. It was released in Japan on November 11, 2007. Again it is February 24, 2008 today. That is three months, one week and six days since it has been released in Japan. To date there have been THREE colors released in Japan all of which were released in succession. To date none have been given anything beyond a vague "Spring 2008" release date for the United States and Europe. So after summarizing all of this up I'd like to pose a question to Sony. Where in the fuck are the controllers in the US already? You have had well over five months to plan for this and there is absolutely no indication of when it is going to be released. I am getting sick and fucking tired of them promising something and not delivering on it. They owe the people who purchased their console a lot better than that shit. I have been trying to hold off on importing one of these controllers because I hope that they're going to do the right thing and sell them at $50 or less. But they never announce a release date for the stupid things. Meanwhile I have one Sixaxis controller that is a piece of shit with the analog sticks completely out of whack and I don't want to replace it because there's supposedly a Dual Shock 3 coming out here. Fucking come on and announce the thing.

Crisis said:
Sony announced the Dual Shock 3 on September 19, 2007. It is February 24, 2008 today. That is five months and five days since it was announced. It was released in Japan on November 11, 2007. Again it is February 24, 2008 today. That is three months, one week and six days since it has been released in Japan. To date there have been THREE colors released in Japan all of which were released in succession. To date none have been given anything beyond a vague "Spring 2008" release date for the United States and Europe. So after summarizing all of this up I'd like to pose a question to Sony. Where in the fuck are the controllers in the US already?

They've said Spring 2008 from the beginning. It's not Spring yet.

teiresias

_leech_ said:
They've said Spring 2008 from the beginning. It's not Spring yet.

I still have to say that it's pretty silly to not be able to actually specify a release date for a completely finished controller that has been released elsewhere already. Unless someone can point me to a link showing that these things are selling like wildfire and always out of stock in Japan there's really no reason for a delay at all - unless they're just trying to get rid of US Sixaxis stock before the release the DS3.

Kittonwy

Banned
TTP said:
Also rumbles when boss is approaching. The closer you are to him, the stronger the rumble :D

I finally rainbowed that medium bridge level today. Yep yep.
gladtomeetya.gif

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
teiresias said:
I still have to say that it's pretty silly to not be able to actually specify a release date for a completely finished controller that has been released elsewhere already. Unless someone can point me to a link showing that these things are selling like wildfire and always out of stock in Japan there's really no reason for a delay at all - unless they're just trying to get rid of US Sixaxis stock before the release the DS3.

That, probably. But I wonder if there are still some legal issues to be solved that didn't apply to Japan. I know they settled with Immersion, but maybe there are some other minor details to be sorted out. Or maybe it has to do with the end of the fiscal year. Not to mention most old games have already been patched to support rumble.

Really puzzling behaviour on Sony part tho.

tha_con

Banned
squicken said:
Just saw this page pop up after the most recent bump, and wow that sucks. Thanks for the heads up though. I'll certainly wait for any impressions on that thing before purchasing.

I just really like the 360 controller design. I don't know if I'm just so used to that, but while playing Uncharted, I never really felt like I had mastery of the controls. Using L1/R1 as primary fire is so bizarre for me. But I've been having a blast with Motorstorm. For some reason the SIXAXIS killed my hands, but the DS3 feels great.

JB1981, I have noticed varying degrees of rumble now that I've played more games. I guess I had kind of forgotten how crazy the 360's rumble is. The controller will literally rattle off my table if I set it down and get shot in Halo 3.

Does not compute. They are the same formfactor, and the only differences are weight (because of rumble) and signal strength.

tha_con

Banned
TTP said:
That, probably. But I wonder if there are still some legal issues to be solved that didn't apply to Japan. I know they settled with Immersion, but maybe there are some other minor details to be sorted out. Or maybe it has to do with the end of the fiscal year. Not to mention most old games have already been patched to support rumble.

Really puzzling behaviour on Sony part tho.

My guess is that it's a combination of things. I'd assume that it has do to with the reduction of stock build up with Sixaxis controllers, and details of the Immersion / Sony contract.

squicken

tha_con said:
Does not compute. They are the same formfactor, and the only differences are weight (because of rumble) and signal strength.

Yeah, I know. I don't know why, but Motorstorm on SIXAXIS just killed my hands. I don't know if it's the added weight or what. YMMV obviously.

so had some time with my DS3:

- Triggers, even though there is less resistance, they still suck and devs need to leave these alone for racers/shooters....

- There is that slight "hold/delay" when moving the analogs outta that deadzone, but I forgot about it pretty quickly and hasn't bothered me

- Dpad does feel smoother, though there is a clicky sound, that I hope goes away with time

- weight is what it is....don't really care as I always loved the lightness of the SIXAXIS and I don't use rumble in any games

- buttons still feel great, even though slightly different...maybe texture

- Thankfully analogs still have that nice and "smooth" feeling through range of movement that I love sooo much!

So overall, I dig it

Nizz

AgentOtaku said:

- Triggers, even though there is less resistance, they still suck and devs need to leave these alone for racers/shooters....

- There is that slight "hold/delay" when moving the analogs outta that deadzone, but I forgot about it pretty quickly and hasn't bothered me

- Dpad does feel smoother, though there is a clicky sound, that I hope goes away with time

- weight is what it is....don't really care as I always loved the lightness of the SIXAXIS and I don't use rumble in any games

- Thankfully analogs still have that nice and "smooth" feeling through range of movement that I love sooo much!

So overall, I dig it
Nice impressions :D I'm guessing the weight isn't all that significant since the DS3 has rumble but doesn't use AA batteries like the 360 controller? I want to get a new controller but I'm still waiting on a US release. The analog sticks on my Sixaxis are squeaking with every movement, has anyone else had this happen to them? The control is fine for games, it's just that squeaking noise is irritating :( It's almost like the sticks are "sticking" a bit (if that makes sense?) Don't want to have to pick up another Sixaxis since the release of the DS3 should be right around the corner....

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Anyone know a good place to order one if you are living in the UK, I would try Play-Asia but I don't want to be burned on Import Tax.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
AgentOtaku said:

That actually depends on the game. There is almost no deadzone on a "hardware level". Just try F1 for example. It's so sensible you can almost steer slightly by blowing on the stick.

TTP said:
That actually depends on the game. There is almost no deadzone on a "hardware level". Just try F1 for example. It's so sensible you can almost steer slightly by blowing on the stick.

I mean that, there is this very slight sorta pop that occurs when you physically move the analog outta the center area...maybe cause its so brand new that wear through hasn't occured on the balls at the base of the stick yet..

thats what I meant

Software wise, things are fine and I'll say that for some reason, Resistance feels slightly better with these analogs....more specifically, the Y-Axis doesn't feel as gimped

dralla

AgentOtaku said:

So overall, I dig it

mine does this too, I thought I was the only one..I have to say, I absolutely hate it.

Damaged

Deacan said:
Anyone know a good place to order one if you are living in the UK, I would try Play-Asia but I don't want to be burned on Import Tax.

Try Yesasia.com, got mine from there no problems and no sign of import tax :D

Maloney

I just got one for my birthday =) My wife got it from cd-wow.com

The box it arrived in had a post mark from Hong Kong and it was marked as dvd's on the postage label. I haven't had a look to see what she paid for it, but it arrived ok and she didn't mention anything about paying any import tax.

SMZC

dralla said:
mine does this too, I thought I was the only one..I have to say, I absolutely hate it.

That happens to me too, but with the analog sticks, not the D-Pad. Am I the only one?

n1n9tean

Banned
squicken said:

Yea, I'm glad to be able to save you the trouble of returning it. I don't know if you read my before/after use impressions in the other thread; but, I'll give you a quick list right here.

Bad:
-Awful, flaky ass D-Pad that feels like it's going to wobble on off. It is also inaccurate.
-I was excited about the real-trigger-like L2/R2 buttons at first but after actually using them in a game (COD4) I found them to be way too resistant and they just threw my game way off. Also, the lowered position was not for the better (they are now on the same level as the L1/R1 buttons).
-The main buttons were hard (dare I say, crunchy? :lol). Didn't like them at all. They remind me of an old Mad Catz controller I had for PS2 (MicroCon) except worse.
-Can't turn the PS3 on with it (only off).
-Charging the thing can be confusing. I let it charge until the (annoying, multi-colored) light went off but it still always seemed to die way to fast.
-Back to the light: You would not believe how annoying this light was on that controller. It blinked all the time. It was big, multi-colored, and pointing directly in my eye as I played.
-*Motion control* was HALF-ASSED. It lagged big time. You make a move, the controller thinks about it, then decides if it's in our best interest, and, finally, proceeds with the move. Warhawk was unplayable with this controller; even on 100% sensitivity. It was like I was FUI (flying while under the influence). :lol

Somewhere in the middle:
-The analog sticks were kind good and kinda bad at the same time. Good because I could tell there was no way they would ever give out, get loose and start drifting. Thye were really solid and all. But, bad because the were so stiff that they caused you to make jerky movements. I'm not entirely sure I could've gotten used to them.

Good:
-I thought the enlarged L1/R1 buttons were absolutely great. The were the best thing about the controller. They made me want to use them more often instead of re-routing their functions to L2/R2.
-It came with a rediculously long USB controller. If I were one to exxagerate I would say that with the controller plugged in you could likely walk furhter than the wirelessRF signal could reach! lol
-In addition to a Li-Ion rechargable pack, it also came with cartridge for normal AA batteries (just like the 360 wireless controller). I didn't keep it long enough (or care enough at that point) to test out the battery life when using this.
-The FEEL of the controller was incredible. It becomes one with your hands. ALTHOUGH, the shape did seriously detract from game that call for motion control (speaking of motion control, I forgot to add something on the bad list *goes back*).

Well, if I forgot anything else, it reeeeaally doesn't matter. I can only hope you get it by now. Because this is all I feel like typing. :lol

Seep

OK so my DS3 arrived today, ordered 14th Feb from YesAsia delivered 25th Feb to Liverpool England. £31 inc free shipping thank you very much.
Charging now will post impressions later.

Oh and here's a pic of the little beauty.
Pictures221.jpg

EDIT: OK I've just compared it to my SIXAXIS some things i noticed.

1. It's not translucent like the SIXAXIS. :(
2. The extra weight feels so much better. :)
3. The build quality is absolutely perfect, much sturdier than the SIXAXIS no creaky pad when you squeeze it. :)

Waiting for it to charge to feel the rumble and test out the analogue sticks.

Seriously people buy it, don't wait for your native regional release date.
It feels a million times better than the SIXAXIS your cheating yourselves if you don't get one.

squicken

n1n9tean said:
Well, if I forgot anything else, it reeeeaally doesn't matter. I can only hope you get it by now. Because this is all I feel like typing. :lol

:lol Yeah I read your posts in that initial thread, and was confused at first b/c you were so gushing intially. But I will for sure pass on the Nyko now unless some sort of miracle happens and the whole thing gets redesigned.

gcubed

n1n9tean said:
Thank you for posting that! It brings up something very important to me haha.

Okay, since launch I had to deal with two SIXAXIS controllers with shitty analog sticks. I had lost faith in Sony's ability to make a controller with reliable sticks! The first controller which shipped wit my 60GB unit had the problem where the sticks would drift whenever they felt like it. They got real loose and would wobble. The problem got worse and worse and I eventually lost my temper (I have a little problem) and bashed it. I now have a spare rechargable battery pack (yay!). Anyway, I DD call and see if they would replace it but they said since I didn't have the receipt that nothing could be done...unless I wanted to pay $30 to get it fixed (fuck that).

So then I bought another controller (after about a month or two without any controller and just using my PS3 as a web browser and media player with the keyboard and mouse) which worked fine; for a while. After just a matter of months the left stick started giving me problems; it wouldn't (or rarely would) respond to diagonal movement! It was kinda like having a D-pad routed to the analog stick excpet worse (the D-pad would allow for more movement than that stick did). Thankfully, Sony took care of me since I had the receipt. They replaced it free of charge.

Here is basically the highlight; the important part:

I took a look at the package of the new controller and compared it with that of the old one and I noticed a few things. Some little details like the fact that the new one had "PLAYSTATION 3" (in the Spider-Man font) toward the bottom of the package on the front and on the sides whereas the old one did not. The new one had the description as "SIXAXIS wireless controller" where the old one just said "Wireless controller." FINALLY (and most significantly), the new one had the packaging date of 2007; the old one 2006.

I HAVE THE BETTER STICKS on a normal SIXAXIS!!! They are thicker and taller. I am able to confirm that thanks to the picture you posted. But even without knowing that I could immediately tell that they had improved the design. It's not jus my imagination. Beleive me, I know the faults of the original design and they have been fixed. FIrst, the sticks are more firm and responsive; and, they don't have that loose dead-zone which allows for the annoying drifting. The also seem[/] to have a better rubber grip and the texture of the hard, rounded plastic at the base of the sticks seems to be of a finer "grain" (think: sand paper :lol). Lastly, the controller as a whole is more solid and it doesn't creak when you softly twist it. Some of you know exactly what I mean.

So that's it. Now, you know what package to look for if you want the new and improved SIXAXIS (until the Dual Shock 3 is released here in the US). :D

I was beginning t hate analog sticks altogether since I had been dealing with such problems since PS2. I thought about buying the FragFX if not for all the negative reviews. I bought that awful Nyko Zero Wireless controller looking for a solution. But, now I think Sony has finally got them right, though.

that would also coincide with reports that people arent getting dropouts anymore also. I havent had a single problem with my ds3 yet

Raistlin

tha_con said:

While the form-factor may be the same, the sticks, d-pad, and triggers 'feel' different.

Gekko87

ibu said:
So these are the games that support Vibration out of the box? I don't have a wireless connection atm thus I can't d/l updates, is there a way I can download PS updates from the net put onto a mem stick then transfer?
You can take off tekken and Assassin's Creed from that list because they didn't rumble when I played them.

Johnkers

Tekken DR definiately rumbles. I downloaded it after the online version came out though so maybe the original did.

Either way rumble only harms that game so it's not really important in the end

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Johnkers said:
Tekken DR definiately rumbles. I downloaded it after the online version came out though so maybe the original did.

Either way rumble only harms that game so it's not really important in the end

It does? Do I have to enable an option for it?

Okay got my Dual Shock 3 in today (shipped pretty fast from the same eBay dude who has been mentioned in this thread many times) and my first quick impressions.

-The weight is definitely noticeable compared to the regular sixaxis, but nothing too major
-The back R2\L2 triggers do feel a little bit more loose (still undecided if this is a plus or minus)
-The analog sticks are actually the same firmness or even more firm (some had said they were looser?)
-The sturdiness & texture? of the controller seemed to be noticeably improved
-Have not had a lost connection yet (I very rarely get them anyway but it’s supposed to be improved in the DS3 right?)

I ran my new DS3 through some Uncharted, Warhawk, SSHD, Pixel Junk Monsters, & MGS3:S (Just to see how it worked for PS2 games). Overall its a pretty good rumble, it takes some getting used to since I've been away from rumble so long. In Uncharted at first it threw me off as slight rumble from gun recoil or getting hit made it tougher to aim, but I'm getting use to it. Warhawk is, IMHO, alot better with rumble! I was kinda surprised how much of an effect rumble has in a hectic "everything-blowing-up-around-you" game like Warhawk. Bombs/vehicles/ect.. blowing up just "feels" right with the rumble. And Pixel Junk Monsters really does a great job of incorporating the rumble into the game mechanics. Your controller when will rumble when you lose one of your little guys at your base but will also rumble when the boss is stomping his way to your base starting off low and gradually getting more intense as the closer you are to him. Its pretty cool! And PS2 games still work with the DS3's rumble tried playing some MGS3:S and the rumble was nice and responsive, no complaints.

Well, there you have it folks yet another "hands-on" impression of the DS3, which I'm sure won't be the last in this thread. But if you’re on the fence, hopefully my impressions can help you; I know I skimmed this thread before purchasing my DS3 & am glad that I did!

Top Bottom