• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Dual Shock 3 - Who's importing?

jacket320

Got mine (2 blk) in from Play-Asia today! It shipped on the 23rd... so that makes 8 business days in transport. They're charging right now. :D

-Rogue5-

Adamrogo said:
I'm trying to find the best price locally in Toronto. I've called VGP game centre and gamarama and they are all 69.99+tax. Anyone know another place that's cheaper?

When did you phone? I think VGP recently dropped their price $10, but I don't know if it was from 79 to 69 or from 69 to 59... Actually, it can't be 59, because if it was, I would have bought it.

...let me know if you find somewhere that has them for under $60, locally. What about Pacific Mall; is there anywhere in there that'd have them?

Tieno

I got my white DS3 yesterday and very satisfied with it. The weight makes it feel so much better!

Are there any other changes? I think the R2/L2 triggers are tweaked too, right?

Mrbob

Tieno said:
I got my white DS3 yesterday and very satisfied with it. The weight makes it feel so much better!

Are there any other changes? I think the R2/L2 triggers are tweaked too, right?

I think they are. The triggers feel much better to me than my sixaixis triggers.

Got mine yesterday. It made me realize why I didn't dig GT5 too much--no force feedback. Now it feels so good to drive. I can't imagine what the G25 would be like with that game.

MercuryLS

Banned
B-Ri said:
form factor, trigger, and convex analog whiners:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29490.html

and that should be the end of that.

Whoa that looks fantastic, 360 controller form factor, proper triggers, battery pack. NICE.

I'm getting that for sure, should go a long way into me enjoying the system more. My single biggest hang-up with the machine is still the controller, it just doesn't do it for me (ever since the the first PS1 controller).

Edit: concave joysticks too!

LordK

Matrix said:
If anyone wants a Dual Shock 3 and doesnt want to order from overseas I would recommend this guy on ebay...

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZomgly88

$49.74 + 9.99 priority shipping

I got mine in 2 days and he ships out of California and it's perfect.

Yeah I ordered mine from this guy a few days ago. It should get here on Monday. It was the cheapest because he didn't charge tax like other people shipping out of CA did.

MercuryLS said:
Whoa that looks fantastic, 360 controller form factor, proper triggers, battery pack. NICE.

I'm getting that for sure, should go a long way into me enjoying the system more. My single biggest hang-up with the machine is still the controller, it just doesn't do it for me (ever since the the first PS1 controller).

If that had 360-style stick placement, I'd be all over it.

LordK

Okay, I'm a complete moron. The damn controller was sitting outside my front door all day. I just opened the door and found it sitting there. That's what I get for having tons of homework and not leaving the house. Rumble wasn't the main reason I got the DS3. I just wanted the weight back in my controller and to get rid of the signal drops (didn't happen a WHOLE lot to me, but it did happen). Though I'm pleased to have rumble back no doubt. I haven't been able to play with it yet though. I'm just letting it charge through my laptop. I have to finish my homework and I'll give it a go with sigma and the DMC4 demo. So far the feel is much better (I've just held it...) and the two analogs feel much better than the sixaxis.

EDIT: My R2/L2's don't freaking SQUEAK like my sixaxis ones. Smooth and silent.

Tieno

Mrbob said:
I think they are. The triggers feel much better to me than my sixaixis triggers.
Yeah, I think so too, feels better somehow. I'm liking the DS3 a lot with burnout. Just wish they had 360 stick placement, would be better for FPS games but this is a good step up.

Evander

"industry expert"
MercuryLS said:

Don't get too excited.

I had one of the PS2 version ones, and while it looked great, the construction of it was pretty shitty.

|ync

Tieno said:
Just wish they had 360 stick placement, would be better for FPS games but this is a good step up.

Since it came up twice in this thread just recently can I ask why people prefer the 360 style offset sticks? I mean, both my hands look the same why would I want two analog sticks in different positions?

Would you prefer a controller that had both analog sticks moved forward and out, or is there something I'm not getting about the offset sticks?

ShinAmano

|ync said:
Since it came up twice in this thread just recently can I ask why people prefer the 360 style offset sticks? I mean, both my hands look the same why would I want two analog sticks in different positions?

Would you prefer a controller that had both analog sticks moved forward and out, or is there something I'm not getting about the offset sticks?
My main problem with the PS style controllers is the sticks were too close...my thumbs would hit each other when i first used it...the 360 style this is not a problem.

Though i think it may just be the PS style controller is built for smaller hands.

LJ11

I have a brand new DS2 that I whipped out a few days ago, and the sticks on the DS3/Sixaxis are definitely looser than the DS2. The triggers on the DS3 feel much better than the Sixaxis. Still not sure why they made the sticks looser on the DS3, they were just right on DS2.

Tieno

|ync said:

Because the more natural position of the thumb goes to the d-pad and buttons on the DS3 or to the Thumbsticks on the 360. The 360 pad is designed in such a way that when you wrap your hands around it, it feels very natural to go for the thumbsticks, and reaching for the buttons feels pretty good too. That's why the 360 controller is a bit asymmetrical in design. With the DS3/Sixaxis, you have stretch your thumbs a little more to the sides to reach the thumbsticks. It's not a huge, but it's a subtle difference and one that feels very very comfortable on the 360 pad and you really notice it when you're used to.

Then again, I like the softer feeling and pressure of the buttons on the DS3 more.

joesmokey

I just received mine today from Play-Asia (ordered 1/26, so pretty fast).

I don't have much time to play with it this week, but initial impressions are that it's really nice to have rumble back :). GT5 Prologue feels so much more alive now. I also really like the heavier feel to it too.

So glad that it came just in time for DMC4!

joesmokey said:
I just received mine today from Play-Asia (ordered 1/26, so pretty fast).

I don't have much time to play with it this week, but initial impressions are that it's really nice to have rumble back :). GT5 Prologue feels so much more alive now. I also really like the heavier feel to it too.

So glad that it came just in time for DMC4!

Damn, mine shipped on 1/14 and it still hasn't come. I guess I have to come to grips with the fact that it's lost somewhere. I'm not playing DMC4 without rumble so I guess it'll be a few weeks of waiting for me to straighten this out with Play-Asia.

Mrbob

|ync said:

I've been playing a ton of Oblivion on PS3 (very good port), and I think the main culpret are my long fingers. With the sticks being so close together, sometimes my thumbs jam together if I'm moving right and turning left in any first person game. The PS3 sticks not being concave also leads to part of this issue, as I feel I don't have as firm a grip on them. Not to mention the PS3 sticks are a bit more loose so you have to press a bit more to get the same action. The combination of all 3 things makes it tough for me to play first person games, when the X360 controller is nearly perfect for my hands.

Mine shipped on the 23rd and arrived today. (Cheapest shipping option)

Very nice, but it's weird to feel rumble again after going 100% without it for 14 months.

cilonen

I got mine today and I'm really disappointed. Burnout Paradise convinced me to stump up from one, got a good deal on YesAsia, but the controller itself is shit. The vibration is really really weak - I was expecting a lot more, also the shoulder triggers are identical in shape to the Sixaxis - I thought they'd altered them - the springs in the triggers might be a bit firmer but that might just be my sixaxis has loosened up. Oddly, the analogue sticks are the other way around - the DS3 sticks are looser than my Sixaxis ones.

Maybe it'll grow on me, but I think I'll try out one of those Nyko ones with the 360-like triggers.

gray_fox224

cilonen said:
I got mine today and I'm really disappointed. Burnout Paradise convinced me to stump up from one, got a good deal on YesAsia, but the controller itself is shit. The vibration is really really weak - I was expecting a lot more, also the shoulder triggers are identical in shape to the Sixaxis - I thought they'd altered them - the springs in the triggers might be a bit firmer but that might just be my sixaxis has loosened up. Oddly, the analogue sticks are the other way around - the DS3 sticks are looser than my Sixaxis ones.

Maybe it'll grow on me, but I think I'll try out one of those Nyko ones with the 360-like triggers.

What?!
IMO, the rumble is a little too much

GQman2121

Banned
I got tired of having a white controller and a black system, so finally went ahead and sprayed it up in Wii60 White last night.

DSCN0390.jpg

cilonen

gray_fox224 said:
What?!
IMO, the rumble is a little too much

I'm playing a lot of Rez HD at the moment so maybe switching between the two is unfair on the DS3, but it's like vague wobbly rumbles when you go on dirt tracks, then buzzy rumbles if you hit something or crash, neither of which really feel all that remarkable to me.

I should go load up GT5 Prologue and see how that feels.

Kittonwy

Banned
cilonen said:

The best implementation of DS3 so far is Resistance, you can feel the recoil of every shot and still be able to gb effectively, very intense. Uncharted's rumble is pretty good but overall it varies from game to game, which boils down to the developer more than the actual controller itself because the rumble can be VERY STRONG and VERY SHARP.

Mrbob

Kittonwy said:
The best implementation of DS3 so far is Resistance, you can feel the recoil of every shot and still be able to gb effectively, very intense. Uncharted's rumble is pretty good but overall it varies from game to game, which boils down to the developer more than the actual controller itself because the rumble can be VERY STRONG and VERY SHARP.

Devil May Cry 4 rumble is superb as well.

GQman2121 said:
I got tired of having a white controller and a black system, so finally went ahead and sprayed it up in Wii60 White last night.

DSCN0390.jpg

That almost made me close my browser and run from the room.

HIDEOS.

Tieno said:
Because the more natural position of the thumb goes to the d-pad and buttons on the DS3 or to the Thumbsticks on the 360. The 360 pad is designed in such a way that when you wrap your hands around it, it feels very natural to go for the thumbsticks, and reaching for the buttons feels pretty good too. That's why the 360 controller is a bit asymmetrical in design. With the DS3/Sixaxis, you have stretch your thumbs a little more to the sides to reach the thumbsticks. It's not a huge, but it's a subtle difference and one that feels very very comfortable on the 360 pad and you really notice it when you're used to.

Then again, I like the softer feeling and pressure of the buttons on the DS3 more.
I disagree. The natural thumb position for me is right where the analog sticks are on the Dualshock. Having one thumbstick (that is just for movement, NOT looking in a FPS) moved up is unnatural placement. And the look movement of the right analog is the more important factor in a FPS anyway, and both controllers have that in basically the same spot.

Now if only the Dualshock can get the TOPS of the 360 analogs, I think that would be an improvement.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Just got mine at an import shop (only charged like 5 Euros more than a regular SIXAXIS controller sells for, all without having to wait a week for the controller to arrive by mail :)).

I have to say that it is nicely heavier, but the analog sticks are indeed a bit looser in the DS3 than in the SIXAXIS... oh well, it gives me a nice excuse to use the SIXAXIS controller in the games where I do not mind missing rumble and the stiffness of the analog sticks do actually make some sort of difference in enjoying the gameplay :).

tha_con

Banned
This may sound crazy folks, but I think "natural" is different for each and every person. I think I may have stumbled upon a word...'preference'.

Hopefully everyone can take it in stride.

Top Bottom