• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Pictures confirms ‘UNCHARTED 2’ is happening.

First one was as mediocre as mediocre can be, but not as bad as I would have expected. The casting for Sully was totally wrong, and he was such an asshole? Didn't suit him or the movie imo.

midnightAI

Better than who they have
Tim Robinson No GIF by The Lonely Island

I would love to have had Fillion as Drake.... 15 years ago.

They should have Harrison Ford as a villain.
That's not even remotely true.

Dr. Strange = 955 million
Thor: Love and Thunder: 760 million
Wakanda Forever: 859 million
These all released months later. All MCU movies before then were struggling to break 400. Besides Sony’s own Spiderman release.

Ronin_7

That's not even remotely true.

Dr. Strange = 955 million
Thor: Love and Thunder: 760 million
Wakanda Forever: 859 million
Huh?
Uncharted came out close to Shang Chi and Eternals…not those you mentioned

Restrictions were much tougher early on. I think the movies i mentioned didn’t even debut in china

Last edited:

Zannegan

Madame Web was quite ok. I don't know why they hammered that movie so hard. Dakota Johnson carried the whole movie on her shoulders and it worked, plus the visuals and cinematography was purrfecto.
To each their own, but as a big fan of story, gonna have to hard disagree. The writing was so awful that I was in awe. I feel like the script must have made sense at some point, or it never would have gotten greenlit. Maybe they had to leave a ton on the cuttibg room floor.

The Pitch Meeting was purrfecto though, one of my favorites next to the Twilight saga.

MrRenegade

Banned
To each their own, but as a big fan of story, gonna have to hard disagree. The writing was so awful that I was in awe. I feel like the script must have made sense at some point, or it never would have gotten greenlit. Maybe they had to leave a ton on the cuttibg room floor.

The Pitch Meeting? was purrfecto though, one of my favorites next to the Twilight saga.
What was awful with the story? What were you expecting, Scorsese level sophistication?

Zannegan

What was awful with the story? What were you expecting, Scorsese level sophistication?
Well that's a bit of a strawman. There is a vast gulf of acceptable storytelling, ranging from Scorsese to dumb fun. I would like character choices to make the barest bit of sense though, even in my dumb fun. Madame Web makes zero sense from moment to moment, not in a "superpowers don't exist" way, but just logically within the context of its own world. The things characters choose to do make absolutely no sense given who they are and their motivations.

I mean, sometimes the mob gets it wrong and dogpiles on a pretty decent movie or game, but this one's been universally panned for good reason. I went into Madame Web with low to no expectations, and it was still hilariously awful. *shrug*

EDIT: I guess my issue with it is that is makes "no sense." Lol.

Last edited:

WoJ

Eh, I thought the casting on the movie was awful.

Tom Holland was terrible as Nathan Drake and Wahlberg was also terrible as Sully. I thought Chloe was the best cast of the main gain characters.

I like a lot of movies that are legit bad like this was, but the casting in this made it hard for me to look past that.

MrRenegade

Banned
Eh, I thought the casting on the movie was awful.

Tom Holland was terrible as Nathan Drake and Wahlberg was also terrible as Sully. I thought Chloe was the best cast of the main gain characters.

I like a lot of movies that are legit bad like this was, but the casting in this made it hard for me to look past that.
[AAnderson sends his regards]

Last edited:

Raven117

First one wasn't bad. If you forget it's based on the Uncharted games and turn your brain for the final act then it's an average action film.
Pretty much this.

I saw it for the first time today on TV. It was “fine.” And finished it (got worse as it went along). Nothing special.

(With better casting and a more grounded script, it could have been much better)

xrnzaaas

Didn't see the first movie because of the horrible casting of both Nate & Sully. Not planning to watch the sequel if they stay on board.

I found the first surprisingly enjoyable. Since Indiana Jones is basically dead now, good for Sony to take its place with Uncharted.
Same, I found it enjoyable but it’s because I didn’t go into it with narrative expectations and instead I went into it expecting a fun and partially silly movie, like the newer Fast and Furious.

I enjoyed the ending ‘airship’ setpiece fight and I hope they use more unique setpiece moments for the sequel instead of borrowing from the game. Now that they have essentially told their own version of an origin story I’m hoping that part 2 can just be even more fun.

Also on a side note, I hope once Tom Holland is finally done being spiderman, that he will start venturing more into doing his own stunts. He has done some before and he seems to have an eagerness for it along with the athletic talent. He could potentially give us Tom Cruise-level moments one day…maybe.

Last edited:

Astray

I think it was also a box office flop? (maybe it wasn't?). Why would they make another one, i can't imagine.
Nah it actually made a lot of money. Sony generally has shifted into a strategy of keeping costs as low as possible in the movie space, and licensing out their films to streaming services without operating one of their own.

Even flops like Madame Web managed to stay around or below the 100m budget mark.

StueyDuck

I enjoyed the first one for what it was 🤷‍♂️... I mean it was better than the indy trash dial movie which isn't a high bar to begin with.

It definitely wasn't cinema excellence though, I hope the sequel tries harder to replicate the characters instead of just the set pieces

The first one was already garbage with the cast simply not fitting the characters at all and a script straight out of Michael Bays nightmares.
Oh well, if nonsense like Transformers still sells so will this....

I just can't get over the dreadful casting choices made in this franchise. Tom Holland doesn't have the natural physicality, presence or masculinity to play the character and it shows. There were so many better options out there for Sully also. Such a shame.

mcjmetroid

The first one was shite and a relic of how not seriously gaming movies were taken. It felt even out of touch when it was released and a second one with THIS casting seems even worse. It was clear they didn't have faith in uncharted to sell on it's own so they shoved an actor that just wasn't right into the main role.

We have WAY moved past and have way higher standards for our videogame properties now.

On the first movie. It's actually amazing how they managed to make a movie more cartoonish and over the top than the games ever were.

Last edited:
How would you know if you slept through the movie.
Like I watched the beginning then saw Holland 's performance and it wasn't bad but didn't fit the whole Nathan vibe. Then remember some rethreading of Uncharted memorable setpieces, then I watched the whole ship on helicopter stuff, which was pretty ngl. Overall, it was Uncharted but without the charm of the game's cast, which in turns makes for an average movie.

It's cool there is a sequel in production but it's not for me, and that's totally okay as well.

Last edited:
It will be fine if Druckman has no involvement with the script
Interesting...

Uncharted 1's writers:
Amy Hennig
Neil Druckmann
Josh Scherr

Uncharted 2's writers:
Amy Hennig
Neil Druckmann
Josh Scherr

Uncharted 3's writers:
Amy Hennig

Uncharted 4's writers:
Neil Druckmann
Josh Scherr

Notice something? The one Uncharted game he wasn't involved is the worst and most inconsistent one.
He's literally part of the IP since day 1.

Top Bottom