• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q1 FY24: PS5 Hardware 2.40m LTD 61.7m

RS53B2s.png

0LUve30.png

yMVMpDU.jpeg

Last edited:
Hardware sales are down 0.9 million year over year for the quarter.

PS5 Versus PS4

For the 1st quarter of the 4th full fiscal year (orange) the 2.4 million the PS5 shipped is 0.9 million down on PS4's 3.3 million and after 15 quarters the PS5 totals 61.7 million compared to 63.5 million for the PS4. This means launch aligned the PS5 is 1.8 million behind PS4.

5ZUFGDV.png

D6i9gck.png

Last edited:

Woopah

So in total there were around 5.3 milion consoles shipped this quarter. That's not too great.

I'm guessing the jump in digital % is due because not a lot of big ganes released.

While PS5 hardware is a bit low (possibly an overshipment last quarter?) the software revenue is holding strong.

anthony2690

60+ million without a price drop...
Ice Cube Movie GIF
There has been aggressive price drops? For a while the console was £369.99 brand new from July-December either last year or the year before, what was quite funny, as Xbox announced a price increase to £480 in the UK that same year and kept their price at £450 till November when they had a similar price drop for black Friday, it's honestly no surprise Xbox was getting massively outsold that year in the uk, when your competition is £90 cheaper for half the year.

Last edited:
Decent results for a quarter without no new releases and very sporadic temporary price cuts.

1.8m units behind the PS4 is not bad, but they need a price cut to keep the pace, it’s almost 4 years without one.

There has been price drops? For a while the console was £369.99 brand new from July-December either last year or the year before
The digital is £389, and the lowest price I think was around £349 for the digital and £389 for the disc slim this year but only lasted a couple of weeks, they need a permanent price cut.

anthony2690

Decent results for a quarter without no new releases and very sporadic temporary price cuts.

1.8m units behind the PS4 is not bad, but they need a price cut to keep the pace, it’s almost 4 years without one.

The digital is £389, and the lowest price I think was around £349 for the digital and £389 for the disc slim this year but only lasted a couple of weeks, they need a permanent price cut.
I'm not talking about digital, I think they were clearing old stock before the slim came out, whatever year that was.

Last edited:

Woopah

Sony is not changing it's forecast so I guess it's up to pro. And there was no serious hardware movers during the quarter anyway.
Companies rarely change their forecast after just one quarter.

I think both Sony and Nintendo will struggle to hit their targets, but the PS5 Pro and a Switch price cut could help.

In terms of shipments, PS5 waa only 300,000 ahead of Switch. But I would be quite surprised if that was the case for sold to consumer.

Elios83

Seems kinda low if the Switch hit 2.1m?

It depends on many factors including inventory levels in the channels due to shipments in previous quarters and planning based on what they know it's ahead (new models).

The quarter was great for profits, they raised revenues and profits outlook across many divisions including gaming.

The situation around hardware sales is obvious. Old hardware that needs a permanent 100$/€ price cut, they can't do it because manufacturing costs are not going down for them.
There haven't been any generation defining games either from themselves or third parties (GTA6) that can convince a more mainstream audience to buy the system regardless at current price.
Games like COD continue to be on old gen systems.
The Pro will mitigate the situation by selling the system again to early adopters but they either need a permanent price cut or huge games.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
It depends on many factors including inventory levels in the channels due to shipments in previous quarters and planning based on what they know it's ahead (new models).

The quarter was great for profits, they raised revenues and profits outlool across many divisions including gaming.

The situation around hardware sales is obvious. Old hardware that needs a permanent 100$/€ price cut, they can't do it because costs are not going down for them.
There haven't been any generation defining games either from themselves or third parties (GTA6) that can convince a more mainstream audience to buy the system at current price.
Games like COD continue to be on old gen systems.
The Pro will mitigate the situation by selling the system again to early adopters but they either need a permanent price cut or huge games.
Yup, good write-up.

I'm not talking about digital, I think they were clearing old stock before the slim came out, whatever year that was.
Strangely, they only cleared the phat disc at £389/399 with one game or controller on November and they sneakily introduced the Slim, whilst the digital phat was cleared without any promotion, very weird.

They need a Pro. PS4 had a Pro for half a year launch-aligned at this point.
They also need a price cut for the slim, the PS4 slim launched at a reduced price at $299 coming from the ps4 phat that was $349.

So in total there were around 5.3 milion consoles shipped this quarter. That's not too great.

I'm guessing the jump in digital % is due because not a lot of big ganes released.

While PS5 hardware is a bit low (possibly an overshipment last quarter?) the software revenue is holding strong.
Probably, 4.5 million is a very high shipment for Q4 and it's unlikely that sell through just halved for Q1.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Sadly impossible with current economy in electronics and logistics.
We got no pricecuts coz same like we experienced at launch of every recent console- scalpers, thats why sony decided they gotta profit on every sold console unit from the jump, just incase its bought by the scalper, they cant subsidise consoles anymore coz they dont benefit from it like in previous gens, scalpers buy consoles on the cheap, dont buy games and just sit on it.

Edit: Even durning ps4 times so end of 2013/early 2014 scalping was so mainstream that here in my country major retailers/online stores all did it, 20-25% markup vs suggested local price sony decided on, no jokes, thats the reason i only got my ps4 week after infamous SS launch so end of march 2014- thats when local stores in my town decided to scrap marked up price of ps4 and go back to original price suggested by sony in my country.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Strangely, they only cleared the phat disc at £389/399 with one game or controller on November and they sneakily introduced the Slim, whilst the digital phat was cleared without any promotion, very weird.

They also need a price cut for the slim, the PS4 slim launched at a reduced price at $299 coming from the ps4 phat that was $349.
It was from July that year in the UK, as I almost repurchased the ps5, but there was nothing exclusive I wanted to play.

But with a new astro bot, coming out and with ape escape tease in the intro (maybe reaching with thinking it's a tease) I find myself semi tempted again. 👀

I also think all the consoles need a permanent price cut tbh, I still find it crazy all the consoles got price increases this gen!

Sadly impossible with current economy in electronics and logistics.
IMO, they could do reductions once they finish paying the studio acquisitions they made, which to my understanding they’re still paying for.

But I don’t know Sony finances and much less, their BOM.

We’ll see how it goes.

PeteBull

Gold Member
IMO, they could do reductions once they finish paying the studio acquisitions they made, which to my understanding they’re still paying for.

But I don’t know Sony finances and much less, their BOM.

We’ll see how it goes.
sony making gangbusters money on ps5

Ozzie666

Layoffs to appease the share holders when?

Gaming, tech in Japan, stocks, just all on fire. It really feels like the bubble is about to burst because expectations are just way too unrealistic.

Why are console sales going down?

Specifically, Switch is still selling.

Seems like marketing plays a big role. Lets not act like armchair analysts here know everything.
500$ 4 years after launch is too expensive. PS4 was 300$ at this point last gen, and in it´s 5th year it was as low as 200$ for limited time around after the launch of Spiderman

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nopes, ps4pr0 came out in november, same like ps5pr0 will come this november too

PS4 launch date: November 15, 2013
PS4 Pro launch date: November 10, 2016

PS5 launch date: November 12, 2020
(Rumoured) PS5 Pro launch date: November, 2024

November alright, but you are both kind of wrong as there is about 12 months gap (3 years after PS4’s launch for PS4 Pro vs 4 years after PS5’s launch for PS5 Pro).

PeteBull

Gold Member

November alright, but you are both kind of wrong as there is about 12 months gap (3 years after PS4’s launch for PS4 Pro vs 4 years after PS5’s launch for PS5 Pro).
Oops true, but thats great news for ps5 sales, since console sales gonna get solid bump soon :)

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member

Yeah, I’ve meant launch-aligned with the current earnings. Sorry if my message was confusing.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Really interested to see what the PS5 pro comes in at price wise. I think anything over $599 / $649 will impact its sales performance considerably.

Elios83

PeteBull

Gold Member
Really interested to see what the PS5 pro comes in at price wise. I think anything over $599 / $649 will impact its sales performance considerably.
Hardware in it is too weak to be antything over 600usd, 500 would be sweetspot but 600 at max imo, its same cpu with mild overclock and about 50-60% stronger gpu only, midrange gpu by todays standarts, perf wise about as strong as this one in rasterisation https://pcpartpicker.com/product/GNbRsY/acer-nitro-oc-radeon-rx-7700-xt-12-gb-video-card-dpz39wwp01 supposedly better in rt but how much better- we wont know for now.

sony making gangbusters money on ps5
While that maybe the case, it's still rather telling when G&NS segment, while the biggest in terms of sales, will be Sonys lowest margin business in FY24 based on their own guidance. FY24 implied operating margin is only 7.4%, with the next lowest being the ET&S segment at 7.9%. Seems to suggest that they will continue to shore up those margins first and foremost, and that won't be good news for those of us who are hoping for high budget SP player games.

jm89

Hardware in it is too weak to be antything over 600usd, 500 would be sweetspot but 600 at max imo, its same cpu with mild overclock and about 50-60% stronger gpu only, midrange gpu by todays standarts, perf wise about as strong as this one in rasterisation https://pcpartpicker.com/product/GNbRsY/acer-nitro-oc-radeon-rx-7700-xt-12-gb-video-card-dpz39wwp01 supposedly better in rt but how much better- we wont know for now.
I think 600 is the safest bet.

500 is too low. I don't think they are even making profit or it's very low profit on the 500 bass ps5.

There has been aggressive price drops? For a while the console was £369.99 brand new from July-December either last year or the year before, what was quite funny, as Xbox announced a price increase to £480 in the UK that same year and kept their price at £450 till November when they had a similar price drop for black Friday, it's honestly no surprise Xbox was getting massively outsold that year in the uk, when your competition is £90 cheaper for half the year.
Agressive price drops? To the original launch price from 2020? lmao.

While that maybe the case, it's still rather telling when G&NS segment, while the biggest in terms of sales, will be Sonys lowest margin business in FY24 based on their own guidance. FY24 implied operating margin is only 7.4%, with the next lowest being the ET&S segment at 7.9%. Seems to suggest that they will continue to shore up those margins first and foremost, and that won't be good news for those of us who are hoping for high budget SP player games.
They’re still paying their studio acquisitions, $360m will be paid for Bungie this FY.

Top Bottom