• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q1 FY24: PS5 Hardware 2.40m LTD 61.7m

Elios83

r8Z9XJv.jpeg

Not much extra info from the detailed speech transcript this quarter. But MAUs had a record for June, in network services profits are going up because of PS+ price increases and people shifting towards higher tiers of the service.

The most important thing is that they're strengthening development management to be able to release hits more consistently.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Genshin will have downloads but it doesn't have sales in the tradional sense, hence why the f2p games often have their own seperate charts for PSN (or at least they do for the monthly charts).

Not having traditional sales, doesn't mean the revenue isn't there. Which is something everyone has got to get their heads around.

The Pro Baseball game can't tell us anything about PS5 software sales since it didn't release on PS5. There is a seperate PS5 baseball game coming soon that will be interesting to follow.

But Celine is right that total PS5 software sales would be low in Japan even if you apply a very high digital ratio. Hence why I believe that f2p games are an important factor driving PS5 sales in the country.

It's a combination of digital and F2P, but yes, it's very difficult to sell a game in high quantities without it being F2P in Japan right now and that's almost certainly due to the mobile culture.

Nintendo games have in large part been an exception to the rule here, almost certainly helped by the affordability of the Switch compared to the PS5.

Woopah

Not having traditional sales, doesn't mean the revenue isn't there. Which is something everyone has got to get their heads around.
The revenue can definitely be there for those F2P studios, and for Sony getting its cut. But for those who do packaged products the unit sales are low.
That's the PS4 version. Some copies could have been played on PS5, but we don't know how many.

It's a combination of digital and F2P, but yes, it's very difficult to sell a game in high quantities without it being F2P in Japan right now and that's almost certainly due to the mobile culture.

Nintendo games have in large part been an exception to the rule here, almost certainly helped by the affordability of the Switch compared to the PS5.

Mostly agree with this, but I do believe it is possible for non-Nintendo publishers to also do well in Japan. Apart from the baseball game I expect the DQ remakes to sell strongly for example.

2025 should be a good year for the Japanese market with MH Wilds, GTA VI and Switch 2.

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
The revenue can definitely be there for those F2P studios, and for Sony getting its cut. But for those who do packaged products the unit sales are low.

It's a mixture. And you're still ignoring the digital sales are probably significantly higher and not represented by famitsu and media create.

That's the PS4 version. Some copies could have been played on PS5, but we don't know how many.

The PS5 plays PS4 games... it's not unusual for games to get a PS4 only release, to assume that it's being played on the PS4 rather than the PS5 kind of ignores where the MAUs really are now.

Mostly agree with this, but I do believe it is possible for non-Nintendo publishers to also do well in Japan. Apart from the baseball game I expect the DQ remakes to sell strongly for example.

2025 should be a good year for the Japanese market with MH Wilds, GTA VI and Switch 2.

If Switch leans more into digital, you're going to see a massive drop off in overall sales as represented by famitsu and media create to the point where they may simply cease operations if they can't evolve to include digital.

Woopah

It's a mixture. And you're still ignoring the digital sales are probably significantly higher and not represented by famitsu and media create.
I'm not ignoring them at all. I'm saying software sales are still low if you take digital into account.

The PS5 plays PS4 games... it's not unusual for games to get a PS4 only release, to assume that it's being played on the PS4 rather than the PS5 kind of ignores where the MAUs really are now.

I'm saying we don't know where it's being played, so it's not a good example to use to judge PS5 software. Which software chart were you looking at where you expected to see Power Pros?

If Switch leans more into digital, you're going to see a massive drop off in overall sales as represented by famitsu and media create to the point where they may simply cease operations if they can't evolve to include digital.

I would definitely expect Switch 2 physical software to be lower than Switch physical software in Japan.First party Switch games are 30% - 50% digital, so for Switch 2 they could be 40% to 60% or more.

Hopefully the trackers get digital data soon.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I'm not ignoring them at all. I'm saying software sales are still low if you take digital into account.

I'm saying we don't know where it's being played, so it's not a good example to use to judge PS5 software. Which software chart were you looking at where you expected to see Power Pros?

PSN Japan

I would definitely expect Switch 2 physical software to be lower than Switch physical software in Japan.First party Switch games are 30% - 50% digital, so for Switch 2 they could be 40% to 60% or more.

Hopefully the trackers get digital data soon.

We'll see.

Top Bottom