• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z2 Officially Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

raven777

A user on the esato forums made an intereting post recently that seems to explain the rapid fire launches Sony are doing for their flagship phones. I don't know how true it is, but I'll post it since it's a decent little read:

thanks for the insight. Its kinda understandable, but I still think they could do better by just releasing different type of smartphones rather than updating the main flagship every 6 month.

anyway, so we can expect Z2 compact version sometime this summer and Z3 at fall? I will probably switch my phone after September so I guess I will have to consider the successor of Z2.

Universaldamps

Neo Member
Looks like a cool phone, certainly more impressive than the GS5. I'm really keen to make an upgrade from my Galaxy S2, and was certain the S5 would be a contender for my money. Alas I was mistaken, but this phone definitely has caught my attention. I'm going to wait it out and see what HTC has to offer on March 25th before I make a decision though.

EGM92

Looks amazing. Sd slot, great specs, beautiful phone. Also big to me is that Sony supports unlocked bootloaders: http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/

Damn, reading over the stuff posted. Do they have a flash counter or a Knox type security that keeps track of flashes like samsung does? On the S3 you could luckily reset the counter (not sure about the s4) but on the note 3 and s5 it seems you shit out of luck for warranty service if you've flashed anything or tripped the counter somehow.

Talon

Still the power has marketing has spoken. on both the verge and engadget they are not pointing out that's its a marginal update or looks fugly from back
Both the Verge and Engadget have made fun of the gold one as the "band aid" phone and that feature-wise it's another kitchen sink Samsung update.

So unfortunately the facts don't align with your persecution complex.

injurai

Banned
xperia-z2-stm10-stereo-mic-a856c17e953e026a188d024010ed2803-620.jpg

wowzers, that's a serious accessory. I was going to dish out $200 on a mic similar to this not too long ago. Surely this accessory isn't studio grade, but it's incredible to see such attention given to an accessory.

Fezan

Both the Verge and Engadget have made fun of the gold one as the "band aid" phone and that feature-wise it's another kitchen sink Samsung update.

So unfortunately the facts don't align with your persecution complex.

What do you do when you’re one of the world’s largest smartphone makers and it’s time to update your flagship device? If you’re Samsung, you trot out the new Galaxy S5, a refined and updated take on last year’s wildly successful Galaxy S4. Like the new Gear wearables, the Galaxy S5 looks and feels familiar, but offers a number of improvements over last year’s edition. The Verger

Once a year, Samsung takes some of its best material and slaps it together into a premium flagship model called the Galaxy S. While 2014's version -- the S5 -- came a bit earlier in the year than some earlier iterations, we're no less excited to see it become the star of the show at Mobile World Congress. The new device will ship in April (on stage, Samsung specifically mentioned that it launches on April 11th in 150 markets), although exact pricing and availability are still unknown. It features a refreshed design language, yet anyone who has used a GS phone recently will immediately recognize it as a Samsung flagship. Engadget

Both site you qouted

MarkusRJR

Holy shit, so Sony removed the annoying shatterproof protector that scratches with the Z2 and Z2 tablet. Now I'm legitimately interested now that the screen isn't going to be coated in scratches in a matter of weeks.

Holy shit, so Sony removed the annoying shatterproof protector that scratches with the Z2 and Z2 tablet. Now I'm legitimately interested now that the screen isn't going to be coated in scratches in a matter of weeks.

I took the screen of my tablet and it's still scratch free, in fact the protector made it look worse.

MarkusRJR

I took the screen of my tablet and it's still scratch free, in fact the protector made it look worse.
That's what I was saying. The "protector" ends up getting coated in scratches since it's hot garbage. I was going to get the Xperia Z1 but the shatterproof protector turned me off the purchase. Now that it's confirmed it's not there on the Z2, I'm legitimately considering getting one.

That's what I was saying. The "protector" ends up getting coated in scratches since it's hot garbage. I was going to get the Xperia Z1 but the shatterproof protector turned me off the purchase. Now that it's confirmed it's not there on the Z2, I'm legitimately considering getting one.

Yeah that was my biggest complaint but after taking it off I'm perfectly happy with it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The G2 is currently going for Nexus 5 prices brand new where I am so I was wondering why the Nexus 5 above the G2?

Probably because vanilla Android (with the earliest possible updates) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> LG's stuff. And 4.95" is probably large enough for most people. Plus, those back buttons on the G2 seem much more annoying than useful to me. I would certainly never choose the G2 over the N5.

ShowDog

Verge - On the live show, Pierce and Ziegler kept on referring to it as the band aid look.

Engadget - Twitter chatter as well on top of that.

So you're saying the high-traffic, written pieces on the website alongside the ads don't reflect the off-the-cuff remarks and impressions from the writers? If so, it sounds like there is legitimate beef with the way the S5 has been represented. I know that Samsung was a HUGE advertiser with the Verge during the S4 launch.

spwolf

So you're saying the high-traffic, written pieces on the website alongside the ads don't reflect the off-the-cuff remarks and impressions from the writers? If so, it sounds like there is legitimate beef with the way the S5 has been represented. I know that Samsung was a HUGE advertiser with the Verge during the S4 launch.

just read the comments sections of both sites.

Probably because vanilla Android (with the earliest possible updates) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> LG's stuff. And 4.95" is probably large enough for most people. Plus, those back buttons on the G2 seem much more annoying than useful to me. I would certainly never choose the G2 over the N5.

I'm sorry but battery life trumps anything you say. G2's battery destroys the N5's. Updates are incredibly overrated and only android enthusiasts really give a shit about it.

I'm sorry but battery life trumps anything you say. G2's battery destroys the N5's. Updates are incredibly overrated and only android enthusiasts really give a shit about it.

Yes the whole timely update is way overrated. Also stock android and the nexus line it self are overrated. Only thing good about it is the price.

You get a gimp beta OS which do need the updates to fix the bugs, lackluster hardware...
Update won't make you have a better camera, it won't make your battery bigger.

oh yeah, ask the galaxy nexus owners about there kit kat......

Twio

Any chance of this coming to Sprint?

Might get this but I'm going to wait until the HTC M8 is announced to make up my mind. Don't know if I'm willing to give up Sense.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I am a diehard iPhone user because I am a nerd for design and clean UIs... but dammit Sony.. You've almost got me.

Is that "almost" stock Android on there?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Clean Ui's on iPhone? Lol, hope you stayed on IOS 6. The new psychedelic look is fresh, but certainly far from clean. And stock Android is becoming more cohesive in its look just as Apple is experimenting with acid.

vivftp

I am a diehard iPhone user because I am a nerd for design and clean UIs... but dammit Sony.. You've almost got me.

Is that "almost" stock Android on there?

It's probably as close to stock as you can possibly get, and Sonys own UI touches seem to be extremely popular.

On the subject of US availability, zomg made a great post in the Android thread. I hope he's cool with me quoting him here:

zomg said:
I also have some positive news on the US release. AT&T should also get the phone. Sadly there is some bad news also, the phone won't launch until the CDMA version is ready (D6509?) and that doesn't have an ETA yet. The agreement is that every network gets the phone simultaneously and that T-Mobile and VZW will get some kind of special editions (32GB internal storage I guess). Basically it's a case of waiting and hoping for the best right now.

Pre-order demand has been insane in the UK according to my source, they have 3-4x the number of pre-orders and information sign-ups than they did for the Z1. Sony think they can beat the GS5 in Europe for sales volume and revenue. The Z1 is Sony's best selling flagship to date and they think they can beat that benchmark within a few weeks this time.

I did tell him that launching later than the GS5 in the US will cost them sales, they agreed and said they are working very hard to get their CDMA supply chain built up after a few tester devices in China (Xperia SP Dual is a CDMA phone). He reminded me that it took Apple around 8 months from agreeing a deal with VZW to the iPhone actually being released with a CDMA modem, and they have a smaller amount of resources than Apple.

I also had it confirmed that the marketing spend for the Z2 is going to be huge and that they will look to capitalise on any critical success of the Z2 Tablet better than they did for the Tablet Z. Basically they have adverts ready to go if the reviews are strong (which they will be, I'm sure).

Finally, he confirmed that the 4.4 updates for the Z-series are progressing well, initial beta testing is set to commence soon. The SP, T, TX, V and TL will get 4.4 about 4-6 weeks later on the current timetable, then after that it will be the L, M/Dual, T2 Ultra, M2, E1/Dual, but there is no timeframe for these devices yet.

On a side note he said the mid-range offering hasn't been fully announced for 2014, they don't yet have a successor for the SP announced yet. I guess it will be the non-ultra T2. The M2 is actually the successor to the L (I asked why it's not called the L2, they didn't know, but guessed that marketing want to capitalise on the commercial success of the Xperia M).

From another source I have the 2014 mid-range at 4.8" 720p, 2GB RAM, 16GB and a 1.4GHz Qualcomm processor (MSM8916 if that means anything) and an 8MP camera with a slightly larger sensor (same as the 5S).

Yes the whole timely update is way overrated. Also stock android and the nexus line it self are overrated. Only thing good about it is the price.

You get a gimp beta OS which do need the updates to fix the bugs, lackluster hardware...

What about the sweet Moto X update to the camera? Oh wait its still fucking terrible.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Clean Ui's on iPhone? Lol, hope you stayed on IOS 6. The new psychedelic look is fresh, but certainly far from clean. And stock Android is becoming more cohesive in its look just as Apple is experimenting with acid.

iOS7 looks great. But I'm in an Android-centric thread so I wouldn't expect friendliness toward it.

It's probably as close to stock as you can possibly get, and Sonys own UI touches seem to be extremely popular.

See that is how you do it. Keep it as stock as possible, and add small touches.

When I look at TouchWiz I weep.

Qvoth

so... just to clarify things, rooting a sony phone will be harder compared to samsung?
i saw someone mentioning it will lock the camera and whatnot

Arc

I'm new to these threads...is zomg considered the Android equivalent to cboat over on the gaming side of GAF?

yogloo

Can't be said enough.

iOS7 looks great. But I'm in an Android-centric thread so I wouldn't expect friendliness toward it.

See that is how you do it. Keep it as stock as possible, and add small touches.

When I look at TouchWiz I weep.

Touchwiz used to be a processing power hog on lesser phones, nowadays it's not a problem anymore. If the launcher bugs you, just change it to something else.

EGM92

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom