• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z2 Officially Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow the Z1 looks over saturated. Does anyone know if Sony allows screen tweaks at the kernel level? I know the Galaxy Nexus/ Nexus 4 (not sure about the 5) had kernels that made the screen not look like shit by changing the white balance, contrast etc.

The Z1 latest firmware includes a white balance setting.

spwolf

Wow the Z1 looks over saturated. Does anyone know if Sony allows screen tweaks at the kernel level? I know the Galaxy Nexus/ Nexus 4 (not sure about the 5) had kernels that made the screen not look like shit by changing the white balance, contrast etc.

Z1 had non-ips panel, this is why it looks so bright (washed out) at big viewing angle, head on they look similar but Z2 still has better color reproduction... but just a tiny bit.

Z1 Compact has one of the best screens and Z2 is even better... thats good, real good.

Did anyone post this ad yet? It features a new unreleased song from Michael Jackson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ9HkICDuOI#t=0
And there's this:
Buyers of the smartphone are reportedly being treated to 'something special' around Jackson's music.

What exactly it is remains to be seen, but given Sony Music's ties with Jackson's current music library, it is possible users will see tracks bundled with the device.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tech/news...n-on-special-xperia-z2-smartphone-launch.html

RoKKeR

spwolf

No smart phone has good speaker beside htc one. and i still think its a waste of space. who really listens to music or watches some thing more than a clip without using headphones

when you buy very expensive phone, you expect it to be great in everything... with Sony's history in music, there is no reason for them not to have best speakers in business.

vivftp

I've had instances where I want to share videos on my Xperia Z Ultra with friends in a louder environment and we're barely able to hear anything at all. It does sadden me that my monsterous phones loudspeaker can be out performed by something like an iPhone 5. Of course I knew to expect this going into my purchase, and was fine with it as I'll be upgrading this year.

Anyways, based on the one video we've seen so far, it's impressive how comparable the Z2 speakers are to the HTC One considering the phone is waterproof.

BTW, it's interesting to note the newly announced Xperia E1 has a loudspeaker capable of over 100 decibles. Imagine if Sony decided to build a non-waterproof phone and put 2 of those babies on the front for stereo sound! Just to give an idea of what 100dB means, here are some examples I found from a quick google:

Jet take-off (at 305 meters), use of outboard motor, power lawn mower, motorcycle, farm tractor, jackhammer, garbage truck. Boeing 707 or DC-8 aircraft at one nautical mile (6080 ft) before landing (106 dB); jet flyover at 1000 feet (103 dB); Bell J-2A helicopter at 100 ft (100 dB).

8 times as loud as 70 dB. Serious damage possible in 8 hr exposure

Busaiku

I kind of want this, but I'm just worried that I won't be able to go back to a small device after the Note 3.
Also wish the purple was a full purple instead of the black around the display.

Yasir

Its not much smaller than the note 3 actually.

Sony-Xperia-Z2-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-3-1.JPG.jpg

Busaiku

Yeah, but the face has a lot filler, while the display is 0.5 inches less.
I'll just have to wait till I can demo it myself.

Tabby

Z2 has much improved speakers:
http://www.xperiablog.net/2014/02/27/xperia-z2s-stereo-speakers-goes-up-against-the-htc-one/

Xperia never had great speakers, especially waterproof models. And these sound pretty good, finally.

That's great to hear.
The speakers on the Xperia Z were absolutely terrible, it's way too easy to cover the speaker's since it's in such a awkward place (Your hand usually covers it when you're holding the phone) and when it's not being covered up the sound is tinny.

Shame my Xperia Z still works though... this looks like it's a great phone.

Haint

No smart phone has good speaker beside htc one. and i still think its a waste of space. who really listens to music or watches some thing more than a clip without using headphones

For a lot of people, "clips" are all they do on their phone.

fuenf

Its not much smaller than the note 3 actually.

Sony-Xperia-Z2-vs-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-3-1.JPG.jpg

wow... all that wasted real estate on the Z2, fuck. If it at least had soft keys like the Note 3 but with on screen buttons it will be hard for me to keep talking myself into it.. :(

spwolf

wow... all that wasted real estate on the Z2, fuck. If it at least had soft keys like the Note 3 but with on screen buttons it will be hard for me to keep talking myself into it.. :(

on-screen buttons disappear when watching movies and pics, if thats what you mean.

vivftp

Well the Xpeira Z2 comes in at 146.8 x 73.3 x 8.2mm and the Note 3 is 151.2 x 79.2 x 8.3 mm. So half a centimeter shorter and less wide than the Note 3 and the thickness is virually identical.

Quite honestly, when I see all these complaints about bezels (not just specifically the Z2) I have to wonder how many people have seen the devices in person.Take the Tablet Z for example. I've seen so many complaints about its bezel (and likewise the Z2 Tablet), but when you've got it in your hands, you realize the bezel is just perfect for your thumb to hold on to it firmly and not oversized. Same goes for my Z Ultra. It's the absolute perfect size for the top and bottom bezels to be able to hold it.

Plus, quite honestly I think the bezels on these devices only look large when comparing it against another device. In real life? They're not big at all. So they really aren't that massive, and they serve a functional purpose. I know the day will likely come when Sony decides to go with smaller bezels and I'll still get that phone, but I'll probably be a bit sad when I'm trying to hold my phone one handed and I keep accidently tapping the screen.

Well the Xpeira Z2 comes in at 146.8 x 73.3 x 8.2mm and the Note 3 is 151.2 x 79.2 x 8.3 mm. So half a centimeter shorter and less wide than the Note 3 and the thickness is virually identical.

Quite honestly, when I see all these complaints about bezels (not just specifically the Z2) I have to wonder how many people have seen the devices in person.Take the Tablet Z for example. I've seen so many complaints about its bezel (and likewise the Z2 Tablet), but when you've got it in your hands, you realize the bezel is just perfect for your thumb to hold on to it firmly and not oversized. Same goes for my Z Ultra. It's the absolute perfect size for the top and bottom bezels to be able to hold it.

Plus, quite honestly I think the bezels on these devices only look large when comparing it against another device. In real life? They're not big at all. So they really aren't that massive, and they serve a functional purpose. I know the day will likely come when Sony decides to go with smaller bezels and I'll still get that phone, but I'll probably be a bit sad when I'm trying to hold my phone one handed and I keep accidently tapping the screen.

Having just purchased the Tablet Z you're right the bezel is perfect for grabbing it in any direction and it's not distracting at all, the tablet is so thin and light which is what's actually important to me.

Can't really compare a phone to a Phablet/tablet when it comes to bezels.

If you actually put a case on the Z1 it will be the size of the Note 3.

The LG G2 and Moto X got the bezel thing right.

vivftp

Indeed. I love holding my friends Tablet Z.

Anyways, on the subject of bezels, I think it might also be worth remembering what Sony can actually do when they don't have to go through the extra trouble of waterproofing their device. Here's the Xperia ZL:

xperiazl.jpg

Compare that against the LG G2 which came out months after the ZL:

dsc1203_1375885903.jpg

There's a price to pay for having a waterproof device. Not to mention the far larger camera sensor that goes into the Z1 and Z2.

I personally don't view the bottom bezel portion as wasted space, but more space for them to be able to put in those kickass front facing speakers, and also more space for the relatively large 3,200 mAh battery.

vivftp

Can't really compare a phone to a Phablet/tablet when it comes to bezels.

If you actually put a case on the Z1 it will be the size of the Note 3.

The LG G2 and Moto X got the bezel thing right.

... what type of logic is that? Sure if you put the Z2 in case it'll be closer in size to the Note 3. And if you put the Note 3 in a case it'll be even bigger too. Duh.

As I just noted, Sony most definitely knows how to do small bezels. They did it long before the G2 ever showed up. There are prices to pay for certain features like waterproofing and oversized camera sensors, and if that means an extra couple of millimeters in the bezel on the top and bottom of the phone, I think consumers won't mind.

... what type of logic is that? Sure if you put the Z2 in case it'll be closer in size to the Note 3. And if you put the Note 3 in a case it'll be even bigger too. Duh.

As I just noted, Sony most definitely knows how to do small bezels. They did it long before the G2 ever showed up. There are prices to pay for certain features like waterproofing and oversized camera sensors, and if that means an extra couple of millimeters in the bezel on the top and bottom of the phone, I think consumers won't mind.

What im saying is that the Z2 is a huge device which most people won't realize tI'll they actually feel one in person. Size of the phone goes beyond the bezels.

vivftp

What im saying is that the Z2 is a huge device which most people won't realize tI'll they actually feel one in person. Size of the phone goes beyond the bezels.

Heh, I should hope people looking to get a 5.2" phone aren't expecting it to be tiny :)

Anyways, I wonder if Sony will be releasing any more accessories for the Z2 like cases and whatnot.

spwolf

it is actually narrower, thinner and lighter than Z1 though.

I accidentally touch screen on S2 due to "small" bezel (it is not small), so I have no idea how would something like G2 or Moto X work with one handed operation for me.

Someone will probably do phone without any bezel, and it will look cool as heck. Of course, it will be barely usable but it will look cool.

spwolf

btw, did anyone catch that Tablet Z2 will have remote that can answer calls? Tablet Z2 is a phone too.

BRH10-Bluetooth-Remote-with-Handset-Function-versatile-5155fc6a1ec77704709f06d169066a43-940.jpg

BRH10-Bluetooth-Remote-with-Handset-Function-gallery-01-1240x840-cecca011ea75367366636263e24f9ef1.jpg

It doesnt have display like SBH52 though.

I think you'll be shocked at the amount of people who don't give a fuck about headphones.

btw, did anyone catch that Tablet Z2 will have remote that can answer calls? Tablet Z2 is a phone too.

BRH10-Bluetooth-Remote-with-Handset-Function-versatile-5155fc6a1ec77704709f06d169066a43-940.jpg

BRH10-Bluetooth-Remote-with-Handset-Function-gallery-01-1240x840-cecca011ea75367366636263e24f9ef1.jpg

It doesnt have display like SBH52 though.

Yep. I imagine that will only work on the cellular versions. That tablet is amazing and I'm a bit confused by the lack of hyper for it.

Rikyfree

I work for AT&T. I really want us to start selling this phone. From a profit standpoint I always feel it is best to offer variety in phone selection. That and I really want it. If it releases on our network (not confirming or denying) and you want to upgrade to this phone when/if it releases on our network, hit me in a pm and I can hook you up.

LegoDad

I work for AT&T. I really want us to start selling this phone. From a profit standpoint I always feel it is best to offer variety in phone selection. That and I really want it. If it releases on our network (not confirming or denying) and you want to upgrade to this phone when/if it releases on our network, hit me in a pm and I can hook you up.

This post is now saved for later.

vivftp

Same screen size and camera as the original Z. Still looks amazing but I feel like their R&D kind of skimped on it compared to the Xperia Z2.

Well, the main upgrades on the Tablet Z2 seem to be the screen is using the new tech in the phone Z2, it has the stereo front facing speakers now, it's got the far more powerful Snapdragon 801 and 3GB of RAM, and it's both thinner and lighter.

That alone is a pretty nice set of upgrades, but I might have liked to see the pencil input function from the Z Ultra ported over to this device.

Generally speaking, it doesn't appear that tablets are expected to have amazing cameras to begin with. From what I can recall in reviews though, the Tablet Z had a pretty favorable camera, and it looks like they've improved it a bit on the Tablet Z2. I must say though I think Sony could really try to further seperate their tablets from the competition if they were to put one of those 13MP cameras from the Xperia Z along with a flash on their tablets. I wouldn't go so far as to hope they'd put the 20.7MP camera from the Z2 in it though, since the tablet is just too thin.

The only thing that might have been better is a larger battery capacity, but I don't recall too many people complaining about the battery on the Tablet Z. I imagine the Z2 tablet is even better.

Also just for the heck of it, I posted my wish list for the Z3 in the Android thread and figured I might post it here

my wishlist said:
-IR blaster
-wireless charging
-pencil input like the Z Ultra
-xenon flash (damnit, no matter how unlikely it is that they'll do it, I'll continue to add this to my wish lists!)
-slimmer bezels ala the Xperia ZL

Might also be nice if they went with a new design that allowed the phone to be drop resistant to improve its overall ruggedness rating. If they can do it on phones like the Xperia Active and Go, I suppose it's within the realm of possibility they can do it on a flagship too.

Going to be very interesting to see if they go with a completely different design language other than Omnibalance for the Z3. Going with a new design language and possibly new materials might also open up possibilities like removable batteries, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom